SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Pioneer Woman Cake in Mug - semi-fail

bbstx
4 years ago

We had a Zoom b’day party for DBIL last night. Because a birthday party isn’t a party without cake, I made Pioneer Woman’s Cake in a Mug. To keep you from having to read through all the extraneous stuff, here is the recipe:

• 3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
  • 3 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • Tiny Pinch Of Salt
  • 3 Tablespoons Whole Milk
  • 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • Splash Of Vanilla Extract
  • 3 Tablespoons Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Instructions

Into a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug, add the flower, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a fork. Add the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla and stir until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Use a damp paper towel to wipe excess off the sides of the mug.

Microwave for 90 seconds, then let the cake stand for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes before eating. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I made it *almost* exactly as written. The change I made was using heavy cream instead of milk because milk is hard to come by here. Other than that, I followed the recipe to a T. The flavor was good, but there were problems.

There were 2 major issues:

- Oil seeped from every bite. Would that have been caused by the cream?

- The sugar didn’t melt. It was very grainy. Would cream also cause that, too?

Can this be fixed? Is it your opinion that the cream was responsible for both problems? I hate to use up ingredients making it again if I’m going to have the same results again. (1) I’m trying to conserve ingredients; (2) I’m trying to conserve my waistline!

Comments (21)