Pioneer Woman Cake in Mug - semi-fail
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
Related Discussions
Women in My Rose Garden - new book
Comments (25)WinterCat, Thanks for the poem! I've never run across that one before, and it's beautiful as well as botanical. I'm moderately interested in the history of rose hybridization, and plant discovery and development in general, but the lives of the people who happened to get roses named after them as a rule leave me cold. I've never cared for celebrity gossip. And, perhaps because of a minimalist element in my aesthetic composition, I don't collect plant-themed objects, or anything else, except for the plants themselves, and books. But my goal, or dream, is a very large, very complex garden filled with a tremendous variety of plants all in the place that's right for them. Much as I love both literature and gardening, I don't find a great deal of connection between them. Maybe it's like, oh, kittens: they're absolutely delightful in real life, but perhaps too charming to make good subjects for artistic interpretation. For years I've had a vague idea in the back of my mind of a garden poem, long, full, complex, rich, beautiful, like the garden of my dreams. I'm not going to write the poem, as I'm not a poet, and I haven't found that anyone else has written it, though I don't read much poetry, either. I don't believe that Dickens, that pre-eminently urban author, is commonly regarded as a notable writer of landscape description, but have recently become conscious of his sensitivity to the beauty of the countryside and his ability to describe it. From Nicholas Nickleby: [after a night of drinking and riot, ending in a quarrel] "They...emerged upon the open road,... Fields, trees, gardens, hedges, everything looked very beautiful; the young man scarcely seemed to have noticed them before, though he had passed the same objects a thousand times. There was a peace and serenity upon them all strangely at variance with the bewilderment and confusion of his own half-sobered thoughts, and yet impressive and welcome." And from Bleak House: [on a trip to visit a friend in the country] "It was delightful weather. The green corn waved so beautifully, the larks sang so joyfully, the hedges were so full of wild flowers, the trees were so thickly out in leaf, the bean-fields, with a light wind blowing over them, filled the air with such a delicious fragrance! [and the friend's garden] But indeed, everything about the place wore an aspect of maturity and abundance. The old lime-tree walk was like green cloisters, the very shadows of the cherry-trees and apple-trees were heavy with fruit, the gooseberry-bushes were so laden that their branches arched and rested on the earth, the strawberries and raspberries grew in like profusion, and the peaches basked by the hundred on the wall. Tumbled about among the spread nets and the glass frames sparkling and winking in the sun, there were such heaps of drooping pods, and marrows, and cucumbers, that every foot of ground appeared a vegetable treasury, while the smell of sweet herbs and all kinds of wholesome growth (to say nothing of the neighboring meadows where the hay was carrying) made the whole air a great nosegay." Melissa, with the help of Charles Dickens...See MoreWhat is your dream birthday cake?
Comments (73)I would like anything from a good bakery. My birthday sometimes falls on Thanksgiving and mostly just before or after. I have had my share of supermarket turkey shaped cakes and cakes with pilgrims. I used to ask for ice cream cakes as a kid because they at least had ice cream and usually weren't awful.....The worst was when I was 16. I wanted something grown up and beautiful. My sister talked my boyfriend and my parents into going to a amusement/arcade park for a surprise. The place was a castle themed park called Camelot. All the kids at my school called it "scam-a-lot" I was horrified. When the girl brought out the cake badly frosted and with day glow icing clowns and balloons I asked them to get it boxed and we went home to have ice cream instead. At least none of my friends saw it all. No I am not stealing this from the show Golden Girls. This actually happened to me! I had another cake disaster for my graduation. My sis and I got the freshest ingredients and made a cake from a cake bible cookbook from the library. I had spent a week prior making frosting roses for this masterpiece had saving them in the freezer. We made the cake and tasted the trimmed off parts it was fantastic! The next day we frosted it and that evening when the family tried it it was so dry no one wanted to eat it. After that I always ordered a cake from the European bakery I love in Pasadena. The other cake fail I was involved in was my cousin's wedding. She knew I could do frosting flowers well so she asked me to come over and decorate her wedding cake. She wanted me to use this lavender icing she made. I decorated the whole thing and we set it by the window. After an hour into the reception, the purple icing in the sunlight faded to blue and was melting a little. My part of the family was out drinking and laughing on the grass. My cousin's husband's family was inside being shocked at the drinking going on outside. The cake suddenly started to lean and lucky her husband's brother was sitting close by and grabbed for it. The top 2 tiers were saved but the lower ones crashed. She didn't put in any supports inside. But, great sport that she is, she just laughed and served her husband's family the upper layers and our family the toppled ones. We didn't mind a bit. She's a great gal and can laugh through anything. One of the weddings I can say I really enjoyed. Sliding color changing cake and all. Please no one get a bright colored cake for a birthday. At my granddad's 90th, my aunt ordered a NASA themed cake with dark blue icing. My Grandad worked in the space program after being in the air force during WWII. Everybody had a dark blue tongue and blue teeth. All these old people with blue lips and teeth! I love a simple cake with almond extract and some fresh ripe strawberries or peaches and whipped cream. I had a fantastic cake once made with 4 different pastel fruit flavored layers and also a very good Black Forest cake by a Belgian pastry chef who used to have a bakery in my city but has now retired. I'm too wary to try a special cake again but I love to make pies and decorate cupcakes with fresh flowers....See MoreCookalong - #34 - Chocolate
Comments (2)Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 12:01 I made Terri's Cappicinno muffins this morning since I had some coffee and chips to use up. I did two small tweaks, used 1/2 WWH pastry flour for some of the flour, and used 3/4 cup sugar instead of 1 cup. They were great with my morning coffee! I didn't bother with the white chocolate glaze--they were sweet enough and I'm a terminally lazy cook. It's a sunny day and me and BF are going to a festival. That does it for me for chocolate, I am all out, lol! o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by sally2 (My Page) on Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 8:49 I'm a chocoholic, and I can't believe I've not been testing every recipe here, but I've just not had the opportunity to make anything yet. Plus, it's still just so hot, or actually so humid, I haven't been in the mood to bake much. But, I realized I have some chocolate pasta I never did anything with, so I'm going to try something out with it. I decided I'm going to make a desert type mac and cheese, using the chocolate pasta and marscapone or cream cheese. I figured I could make a ganache, or some sort of bechemel, add the marscaone and some sugar, and mix it with the cooked pasta. I'll fold in some raspberries and put it in a baking dish. Then I'll top it off with some kind of crumbly walnut type topping, and bake it a little, or at least run it under the broiler to brown the topping, maybe. That part I'm a little shaky on. Maybe I won't bake it. But I picture it all topped with some shaved chocolate. I've never used the pasta because it just seems like it would be so heavy of a desert. But this cookalong gives me a good excuse to use them. I'll report back on how it turns out. Sally o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by empress (My Page) on Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 15:24 Wow! I have gotten so many wonderful recipes from this forum over the years, I cannot believe I can contribute some that I know are wonderful that I have not seen here before. Here are three of my favorite chocolate recipes: Dessert Cheeseball Soften: 8 oz. of cream cheese 1/2 cup butter (1 stick). Mix together well with: 2 tablespoons of brown sugar 1/2 cup of powdered sugar Stir in: 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips After that is all mixed together, press firmly into a round bowl and chill completely - I recommend overnight. Remove from bowl, retaining shape as well as possible (maybe you should line the bowl with plastic wrap before pressing cheese mixture into it....). Ultimately, you want to shape this into a nice cheese ball and roll it into more mini chocolate chips. Place on center of serving dish and re-chill. Serve surrounded by graham crackers, vanilla wafers, chocolate wafers, apple wedges, or whatever sounds good to you. Enjoy! ~~~~~~~~~~~ One-pan Chocolate Pudding Cake from Land O' Lakes Cake: 1 cup flour 3/4 cup granulated sugar 3 tablespoons cocoa 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup milk 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 teaspoon vanilla Topping: 3/4 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup cocoa 1 3/4 cups boiling water or coffee Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. With a fork, mix in milk, oil and vanilla. Spread the batter evenly in a lightly buttered 9-inch square baking pan. Combine brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle over the batter. Slowly pour boiling hot water over the batter and brown sugar-cocoa mixture. Bake chocolate pudding cake for 40 minutes. Let chocolate pudding cake stand for 5 minutes. Spoon into dessert dishes or cut into squares. Top chocolate pudding cake with ice cream or whipped topping. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ This is a recipe I have served since the mid-70's, so I more than likely found it in a woman's magazine at that time. Brownie Mint Dessert 3 egg whites, room temperature 3/4 cup sugar 3/4 cup chocolate wafer cookie crumbs 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1 cup whipping cream 2 Tbsp confectioner's sugar 1/4 cup soft peppermint stick candy, crushed chocolate curls grated chocolate Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until mixture is glossy. Fold in crumbs, chopped nuts, and vanilla. Spread mixture into a buttered 8-inch square baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes. Cool completely. Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Fold in peppermint; spread over chocolate layer. Garnish with chocolate curls and grated chocolate. Cover and chill at least 3 hours. Cut into squares to serve. Store in refrigerator. This recipe is rich, but light and cool, so we enjoy it in the summer. I have successfully made substitutions in this recipe, such as scraping the cream out of Oreo cookies to use when I couldn't find the plain dark chocolate cookie wafers. I have used commercial whipped topping when I didn't have cream handy. I have also used regular peppermint candy, but now when I find the softer, puffed, peppermint I stock up and store it in the freezer just for this dessert. Enjoy! And thanks again for all the wonderful recipes, information, and especially inspiration I've received here. o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by terri_pacnw (My Page) on Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 18:11 Pink, I'm glad you made those changes. I too sub part WWP flour in a lot of things...and reduce the sugar in everything by atleast a 1/4c if it's 1c and 1/2 c for 2 cups of sugar. I agree the drizzle is over kill..but it's a nice addition on a treat plate. o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by loves2cook4six (My Page) on Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 18:47 Posting from my cell phone but I want to add that sheshebop's prizewinning Kahlua cake with Chocolate Mousse absolutely MUST be on this list. o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by lindac (My Page) on Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 19:55 This thread needs to go on forever!! When I think it's about ended I am going to copy and save it all!! here's anotehr goodie....good for make ahead. Frangos 1 cup butter 2 cups sifted powdered sugar 4 sq baking chocolate, melted 4 eggs ( I use refrigerated, pasturized egg stuff like egg beaters) 1 tsp pure vanilla 1/2 tsp other flavoring...peppermint, almond, hazlenut, raspberry etc. Vanilla wafer crumbs....about 1/2 a 7 oz box Place cup cake papers in the bottom of muffin tins and put a lite coating of crumbs in the bottom of each one. Cream the butter and sugar and add the melted chocolate and beat well, add the eggs and flavorings and beat again fill muffin cups and freeze. Makes 10 or 12....depending on how full you fill the cups. o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by denise8101214 (My Page) on Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 22:19 Link to all the Cookalongs. Here is a link that might be useful: All the Cookalongs o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 22:44 I have a few to add.. Rich Chocolate-Cherry Cookies Yields: About 3 dozen cookies Cook Time: 13 minutes per batch Total Time: 45 minutes plus cooling INGREDIENTS: 1 package (8 ounces) semisweet-chocolate squares, coarsely chopped 6 tablespoons margarine or butter, cut up 3/4 cup sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 2 large eggs 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 package (6 ounces) semisweet-chocolate chips (1 cup) 1 cup dried tart cherries DIRECTIONS: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In 3-quart saucepan, melt chocolate with margarine or butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat and, with wire whisk, stir in sugar and vanilla until blended. Whisk in eggs, 1 at a time. With spoon, stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add chocolate chips and cherries, stir just until evenly mixed. 2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons, 1 1/2 inches apart, onto ungreased large cookie sheet. Bake 13 to 15 minutes, until tops of cookies are set. Let cookies remain on cookie sheet on wire rack 1 minute to cool slightly. With wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Store cookies in tightly covered container up to 2 weeks. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ WORLD PEACE COOKIES Dorie Greenspan Servings: Makes about 36 cookies --These cookies, the brainchild of Parisian pastry chef Pierre Herm�, with whom Dorie Greenspan wrote "Desserts by Pierre Herm�," caused Greenspan's neighbor, Richard Gold, to say that a daily dose of these is all that is needed to ensure planetary peace and happiness. You can't eat just one. The salt is important to the taste; don't skimp on it. Ingredients: 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1 stick plus 3 Tbsps. (11 Tbsps. altogether) unsalted butter, at room temperature 2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar 1/4 cup sugar 1/2 tsp. fleur de sel or 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or a generous 3/4 cup store- bought mini chocolate chips 1. Sift flour, cocoa and baking soda together. 2. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add both sugars, salt and vanilla extract and beat 2 minutes longer. 3. Turn off mixer. Pour in dry ingredients; drape a kitchen towel over stand mixer to protect yourself and your kitchen from flying flour and pulse the mixer at low speed about 5 times, a second or two each time. Take a peek -- if there is still a lot of flour on the surface of the dough, pulse a couple more times; if not, remove the towel. Continuing at low speed, mix for about 30 seconds longer, just until the flour disappears into the dough -- for the best texture, work the dough as little as possible once the flour is added, and don't be concerned if the dough looks a little crumbly. Toss in the chocolate pieces and mix only enough to incorporate. 4. Turn dough out onto a work surface, gather it together and divide it into half. Working with half at a time, shape dough into logs that are 11/2 inches in diameter. Wrap logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 3 hours. (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months. If you've frozen the dough, you needn't defrost it before baking -- just slice the logs into cookies and bake 1 minute longer.) 5. When ready to bake, center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats. 6. Using a sharp, thin knife, slice logs into rounds that are 1/2 inch thick. (The rounds may crack as you're cutting them; don't be concerned, just squeeze the bits back onto each cookie.) Arrange rounds on baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between them. 7. Bake cookies 1 sheet at a time for 12 minutes. They won't look done nor will they be firm, but that's just the way they should be. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the cookies rest until they are just warm, at which point you can serve them, or wait until they are room temperature. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Wicked Chocolate Banana Cake Cakes Ingredients: CAKE 6 oz. sweet cooking chocolate 3/4 c. margarine or butter 4 eggs, separated 1/8 tsp. salt 3/4 c. granulated sugar 3/4 c. ground pecans 1/2 c. mashed banana (about 1 med.) CREAMY BANANA SAUCE 1 c. mashed bananas (about 2 med.) 1/4 c. whipping cream 2 tbsp. powdered sugar 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon Pecan halves, toasted Directions: Heat oven to 375 degrees. To prepare cake, grease and flour 8 x 2 1/2 inch springform pan. Heat chocolate and margarine in 1-1/2 quart saucepan until melted. Cool 5 minutes. Beat egg whites and salt in medium bowl on high speed until stiff but not dry. Beat egg yolks and sugar on medium speed until lemon colored. Stir into chocolate. Stir in ground pecans and banana. Gradually fold chocolate mixture into egg whites. Pour into pan. Bake until top is dry and knife inserted in center comes out slightly wet, 40 to 45 minutes. (Do not overbake). Cool completely. Remove from pan. To prepare sauce, beat together bananas, cream, powdered sugar and cinnamon until well blended. Makes 12 servings. Serve cake with sauce, garnished with pecan halves. Nancy o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by sally2 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 9:06 World Peace Cookies have become a standard at my house. So good, so subtle, but so outstanding, too. I didn't have time to make that pasta yesterday, after all, but I'll try to get to it today, even if it's after the fact. I'll have to copy and paste this thread, too. There's so many recipes and so little time, and so much exercise to do to make up for it! Sally o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 9:42 I made AnnT's Boston Cream Pie...sooo good. But I'm a bad girl, I forgot to take a picture. I need to jot down names a then draw one... I'll be back in a little while. Nancy o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 11:10 Terri I've been lovin' up those muffins with my morning coffee! They'll also be a great quick and easy dessert (with the glaze) for an italian dinner party with liqueur flavored coffee! If I can ever regain control of my house from the disorganization gremlin! o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by cloudy_christine (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 12:29 Linda, do you remember the frango mints at Marshall Fields? o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 13:06 Ready to move on to a new topic? I'm drawing a name from those that posted on this thread.... It is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rosewitch <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Rosewitch, please post your choice here and I'll set up the new thread. Thanks. Thank You to all that posted all the chocolate recipes, I know I'll be referring to this thread over and over. Nancy o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by rosewitch (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 19:51 How about mustard? Both prepared from the jar and dry or mustard seed? I keep all of them but really can't say that I use them. Other than a chicken dish that calls for mustard and cream and topping a hot-dog, I never know what else to do with mustard. Yet on a recent trip to Lancaster, Pa, I came home with Horseradish mustard and Raspberry Honey mustard that have yet to be opened. I do keep Dijon and Colman's on hand but hardly use them. So I hope to get some great ideas and the nudge to open these jars. Thanks, Kat o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 20:06 Busy weekend here so I'm reporting in late. I made the flourless cake that Gina posted. I saw Linda's too but only had eight eggs in the fridge. I added some rasberries and sauce for serving. This is a wonderful and VERY rich cake. A small slice will take care of your chocolate fix for sure! Image Hosting by Image Hosting by Beverly asked me for this recipe a couple of weeks ago. I'm posting it here and hope she finds it. I don't have her email addy....might post a new thread so she can see??? A friend brought this over for Labor Day Weekend. We took a quick pic on her phone so it's not the best but you get the idea. She got the recipe from Women's World but they don't have a web site. We found this one on google and it's the same that was in the magazine. Deluxe Dirt Cake Posted by shirley on May 10, 2008, 6:59 pm in General ( Shirleys collections) Ingredients: 1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) devil's food cake mix eggs, oil and water 2 pkgs. (3.9-oz.) instant chocolate pudding and pie filling 1-1/2 cups + 3 tbsp. milk 1 cup butter, room temperature 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese room temperature 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar from 2 (1 lb.) bags 1 tsp. vanilla extract 36 Oreo cookies Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 (9-in.) round cake pans. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, adding 1 pkg, pudding filling to batter. Divide batter between pans. Bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10-minutes. Remove from pans to racks; cool completely. 2. In bowl, whisk remaining pudding filling and 1-1/2 cups milk until thickened. Chill until set, 15-minutes. On medium speed, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffly. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, remaining tbsp. milk and extract, 1-minute. 3. Place 10 cookies in plastic food storage bag; crush coarsely with rolling pin. Stir into pudding mixture. Place 1 cake layer on plate. Spread with 1-cup frosting, then with pudding mixture, leaving about 1-inch border. Top with remaining layer. Transfer 1-1/2 cups frosting to pastry bag fitted with star tip; reserve. Frost cake with remaining frosting. Pipe reserved frosting around edge of cake. Break up 10 cookies; place in center. Press remaining cookies into bottom of cake, (Cookies form a bottom border.) Chill before serving. Yields: 16 servings Image Hosting by Another great collection of recipes to work through for sure! Kate, mustard sound like a good topic too. I have one in mind when Nancy starts the new post. David o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE/// clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 20:12 Forgot to thank Nancy for letting this run another week....THANKS! I love, love chocolate anything. David o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 20:32 Hey David, that dirt cake looks fun...but was it good? Your flourless cake has me drooling, hope my keyboard doesn't short out. Thanks Rosewitch....mustard it is. I'll get it set up right now. Nancy Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong --- #35 Mustard o RE: Cookalong #34 ----- CHOCOLATE clip this post email this post what is this? see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 22:45 Nancy, at two something in the morning it was a great treat for sure. LOL The kids loved it too earlier in the day. My friend and her partner went over board with the oreos on top....overkill for sure. More of a kid desset in my book though... but hey it is chocolate. : ) David...See Morerooting in semi-hydro media
Comments (11)> I prefer rooting in a permanent pot as well due to less disturbing of roots. I just thought of how to reconcile the desire for them to share their rooting hormones (if that even happens and if it's beneficial) with the goal of minimal repotting and root disturbance, as well as not entangling their roots. It can look something like this: Cuttings would be in their individual containers in a hydro medium, but with a layer of water underneath in the tray, through which the hormones can be shared. They can live there indefinitely or can be repotted into your favorite medium once rooted, weakly or very strongly, because it's going to be a while before they get really entangled into a rot mess underneath - and even then the roots inside the pot do not have to be disturbed. Communal pot rooters, do you see any disadvantages with this? I guess this does take more space than communal pots. Even with tiny 2" pots, cuttings are 4" away on average. They can be closer in a communal pot. But if you do not have space for 2" pots, then what are you doing rooting all those cuttings anyway? - this would be my question. > 3. Less need to hover. It takes longer for a communal S/H container to dry out than a 2.5" pot. That's a good point. I'll have to watch out for that if rooting in individual pots - especially if they are not sitting in water. I plan to put them into a container though, and drying out there will be much slower than out in the open. > I will use a bag over the top of an individual potted plant from time to time. Me too, when the plant is taller than my rubbermaid, or if I am out of space in the containers. Bagging is ugly as hell, but it has to be done sometimes, in order for them to get through the winter. Once when I was rooting a bunch of cuttings, I put a dry cleaner's bag over ~ 2/3rds of a tray like in the pic above. It helped, I think. > I've had good results keeping mitrata cuttings alive that way. What is it about mitrata? It looks pretty tough and succulent, but often hear how difficult it is to grow. It's on my wish list, ~20% because I like how leaves are shimmery, spotty and curvy, and ~80% because it's challenging to grow, apparently. Call me a glutton for punishment, I guess. > Not to give another IKEA plug, but my favorite rooting storage bins are these because they are 100% clear. Since you have to buy the lid separate, they are more expensive than when Rubbermaid goes on sale at Target. Rubbermaids come in clear. Not that I am a brand fan of Rubbermaid, not at all. My container is actually some no-name brand, whatever was cheap in the store, but I call it rubbermaid as people call a photocopy a "Xerox" or to search "to google". Mine is non-transparent, unfortunately. It was bought for a different reason, but now I am using it because I figure, the light comes from exactly above, so it's ok. I am probably losing some light intensity, but it's reflected light, so I am sure it's not much. But if I was doing it from scratch, the container would be clear. I do not use lids. I cut a dry cleaner's garment bag to rough size to cover the top and keep that film there with clothes pins. It's easy to change the vent size - just peel the film back more or less. No need to shift the lid, which might block some light or otherwise take space, depending on your grow space configuration. I might check out that IKEA bin though, it looks interesting. > I need to buy some identical communal rooting vessels. Something like these? :-) Clockwise from top: (1) hamburger patty container from my supermarket, (2) and (3) are both salad containers from the same supermarket, (4) and (5) are both (I think) cookie containers from... you guessed it! - my local supermarket. Or one of them may be from Trader Joe's, I think. Although because your vessels are in use permanently, you may want something less ghetto-looking. :-/ Are there Marshall's or TJ Maxx stores close to you, GG? They both have nice inexpensive glass bowls often that you might like to replace that broken bowl you lost. They also have a good selection of glass terrarium looking things, by the way, so they are on my mind as well when I decide to go that way for orchids or hoyas. > The real problem for me has just been that none of my other setups have performed as well as the one that cystiantha is in. So, do you think it's cystiantha that's helping? Or is it something else about that setup, you figure? > I think it's just so mature that there is an established microbe ecosystem in there. Oh, this answers it, perhaps. I wonder if adding something like K-L-N or Hormex to that pool of water in communal semi-hydro rooting pots will help create a root-welcoming environment. My K-L-N is in the mail, and I am going to try, I think. > So, I guess what I'm recommending is that you set up a S/H vessel and you keep it constantly active. Hmm, something to think about for sure. > I haven't tried grow stones. It would be interesting to compare the performance between grow stones, small hydroton, and large hydroton. Then I'll definitely be glad to share some of mine in the package I am mailing you next week! They are light - lighter than hydroton, I think. I have had limited but quite remarkable experience with growstones. There are only 4 species I have now (or had ever had) in it. Of those, 3 have bloomed, which makes for for a 75% blooming rate. That rate is ~10% at most for the rest of my plants, in my normal medium, even though the average age of those plants is older than those in growstones. I have no idea why I am not stampeding to repot everything to growstones, frankly, when looking at these numbers. I should at least try growing (not just rooting) a few more cuttings that way - which makes that growstone tray idea from the top of this post sound even more appealing. Ugh, sorry for a huge post. Gotta learn to be brief. Some day, not now. :-)...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

BOOKSCan Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
SMALL KITCHENSSmall Living 101: Smart Space Savers for Your Kitchen Walls
Get organized with hooks, baskets and more to maximize your storage
Full Story
HOLIDAYSSimple Pleasures: Savoring the Season of Warmth and Light
Light up your home and lift your spirits on cold winter days with these decorative touches
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNOpen vs. Closed Kitchens — Which Style Works Best for You?
Get the kitchen layout that's right for you with this advice from 3 experts
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN11 Must-Haves in a Designer’s Dream Kitchen
Custom cabinets, a slab backsplash, drawer dishwashers — what’s on your wish list?
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES7 Tips to Sell Your Home Faster to a Younger Buyer
Draw today's home buyers by appealing to their tastes, with these guidelines from an expert decorator
Full Story
DESIGN POPHow to Design a Lefty-Friendly Home in a Right-Handed World
In honor of Left Handers Day on Aug. 13, here are a few ways to make your favorite lefty’s life easier
Full Story
SMALL KITCHENS12 Ways to Make Your Kitchen Look and Feel Bigger
Try these clever design moves to get more storage and create a roomier feel
Full Story
KITCHEN CABINETS9 Ways to Save Money on Kitchen Cabinets
Hold on to more dough without sacrificing style with these cost-saving tips
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGDishwasher vs. Hand-Washing Debate Finally Solved — Sort Of
Readers in 8 countries weigh in on whether an appliance saves time, water and sanity or if washing by hand is the only saving grace
Full Story
bbstxOriginal Author