SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chazzlotte

Accent wall help!

chazzlotte
4 years ago

Hi!! My husband and I recently bought our first home (yay!), and we are terrible with design. its an open floor plan, so I am wondering if painting an accent wall ( the wall to the right in the pic, across from the ceiling light) behind where the dining room table will be would look silly?? I’d also like to know if the sherwin Williams color “ foggy day” which is a blue/gray hue, would look good for the accent wall, as all the other walls will be sherwin Williams “agreeable gray” . Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! And sorry for the dim picture 🥺

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Hue & Home
    4 years ago

I think an accent wall is a great idea for adding interest to your dining room! Are any of your furnishings or accessories for that room blue-gray? I ask because Agreeable Gray is a warm gray, and pairing it with a blue-gray color will make it look dingy or dirty. Some darker gray SW colors that work well with Agreeable Gray are Porpise, Acier, and Pavestone. Or, some complementary blue-grays from across the color wheel would be Distance, Gibraltar, and Wall Street.

chazzlotte thanked Hue & Home
  • chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you both for your advice! @Hue & Home, I will def check those other colors out. My furniture is a light brown with beige cushions. I don’t have any accent decor or pictures yet lol. I was thinking the master bedroom color would be sea salt, with the guest room color oyster bay. Maybe I am picking too many colors? Everything else will be that agreeable gray! I will get some samples of the other colors you recommend for the accent wall and paint some samples . Any other advice is so appreciated!! Thank you so much 😊

• chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Design Interior South I didn’t even think about the chandelier! That’s a great idea too......totally newbie here lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I wouldn't worry about wall colors at this point. With a new house, especially a starter home, neutrals on the walls are great and once you get furnishings in, paint is the last thing to consider. For example, your master bedroom. Select your bedding first and then wall colors will emerge from the colors in the bed set. Paint is available in a wide range of colors, as you know, and material objects are less available. Key items are large pieces of furniture, art, rugs and then paint color, then window treatments. Kind of in that order will help you end up with a cohesive home. Of course, if you see a piece of art you can't live without, hey that dining room wall is screaming for a large art piece, something colorful. You can build a color palette from a art piece.

Abstract Canvas Painting, Contemporary Wall Art, Limited Edition - ELOISE WORLD · More Info

Art is very personal, and I like bold splashes of color. With your beige and light furniture, something like this would be great in the dining room along with new chandelier. Everything can build from there.

Craftmade Piltz 6-Light Chandelier, Satin Brass · More Info

Not sure of your styling but in your home, it looks pretty and golds really lift up the look. Brushed nickel is kind of out. Of course, I'm really guessing here, but just trying to spark your creativity.

chazzlotte thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

You can set up some "Ideabooks" here on Houzz. Just "search" for "dining rooms" and add any key words and you will get tons of ideas to create your own look.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yes, to art on the wall instead of an accent color. All art is subjective, or course, and this would be my choice for your space with the tiled floors:

Horses have been done (a lot), but I love this abstract from greatbigcanvas.

Pair it with Flo’s chandelier suggestion and a brass accent dining table.

Enjoy your touch of blue in seating.

chazzlotte thanked JudyG Designs
  • chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Great advice. I def want the house to flow and not seem different all over. This is a learning curve for sure lol @Flo Mangan

• chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JudyG Designs thats very nice! Thank you 😊

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Kainda Ikat Throw Pillow, Royal, 20"x20" · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Neutral walls for now leave you lots of room to add various accessories in each space but always good to tie together rooms in open concept spaces. For example, the colors of art in dining room could be repeated in sofa pillows in living room. Rule of 3-repeat colors 3 times, even small things like the book jacket on a coffee table that has that bold blue. Lots of articles on Houzz too that would help you. You can’t do everything at once so make a list and then prioritize accordingly.

• chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Flo Mangan great pics and ideas. Should the bedrooms also be neutral, or I was thinking sea salt for a costal feel since is close to the beach??

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

SW Sea Salt is pretty color but it depends on the natural light in the room. If it has good light then SW Sea Salt will be green/gray tone. What color is floor or carpeting? All these elements have to work together. Think of it as how you dress yourself. Main pieces dress or slacks and top, then accessories such as scarfs and jackets. Shoes etc. but you build and “layer” colors and textures.

• chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Floor is light beige carpet and I ordered white bedroom furniture

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here is master with SW Sea Salt walls and lots of light. Very pretty. With color on walls, bedding has to go neutral or bring that color in with pillows, lamps etc. always a balancing act.

• chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Flo Mangan looks very comforting and peaceful. Is it customary to paint the adjoining bathroom the same sea salt, or should that be the agreeable grey to tie in the rest of the house? You’re so helpful!! I have no clue about this stuff!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

It’s ok. You are like everyone starting with a first home. So exciting. Biggest error people make is buying furniture that is oversized for the room. It is easy to learn how to measure and so scale layouts of rooms. Get yourself a 16-25’ tape measure with big numbers (easier to read). Get some 1/4” gridded paper. A straight edge ruler and you can really be a smart shopper! Avoid sectionals.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Oh usually wall color is carried into adjoining bathroom. But if your builder is up charging for more colors, just do bathroom in the Accessible Gray and add towels in the Sea Salt tones. That will tie things together.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Opps. I meant Agreeable Gray. Easy to mix those up.

• chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We are doing the painting on our own :) . Now I just need the guest bedroom and guest bathroom figured out. Husband likes oyster bay by sherwin Williams. I just don’t want to over do too many different colors. It is very pretty though lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Take a look at Quietude for guest room. I think it works better and very calming color too. TIP: color strips can be misleading on the actual Hue family of colors. So be careful on that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I think Oyster Bay is too dark for guest room.

• chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Flo Mangan ok, great! I’ll go check it out for sure :) yayyyyy!!

• chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Flo Mangan I swear; one last question lol. Should the Guest Bathroom be quietude also? It’s not adjoining. Quietude or Agreeable gray?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

No big rule here. I would assume you have white sink, toilet etc? Since it is hall type bath, probably good to stick with AGray. You can add color with towels etc.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I happen to love gray bedrooms but usually you choose wall colr after you have chosen your bedding and usually I make the master bath at least a coordinating color to the bedroom.This is one of my favorites. The advice to start idea books is very good it allows us to see your style and IMO slow down and wait a bit before going crazy with paint. Do you love the flooring in the bedroom ? What is the flooring in the rest of the house? I see some tile some carpet, I think you need to decide about flooring before anything else since it is the backdrpop to everything. I generally do not like beiges and grays together if that helps and wall color really can look much different once all your stuff is in place .
    Sorry but for some reason the gray bedroom does not want to post here I will try again later. Now you have it twice . Good luck in your first house I remember how exciting it was

chazzlotte thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting thank you for your input also! So much to consider.....guess I need to slow down and take my time....I just get so excited owning a home hehehe

• dsimber
    4 years ago

All good advice. I recently gave these tips re: Idea Books to my son and daughter-in-law, who are also just starting their interest in design. [I apologize upfront if you already do this.] The first might not apply to you--may be too “old school” to apply to you, but I had always collected pages from magazines in a file folder. When I started here on Houzz, I took a photo of each page and uploaded it. Now, whether they are my magazines or something I see when in a waiting room, I take photos of what I like. And if I see something online, I take a screenshot and upload it. With all of these, I save them to a desktop folder as well. It can be helpful to access these when shopping, too.

chazzlotte thanked dsimber
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Since you are a newbie my biggest piece of advice is to not rush it. I would spend a lot of time "shopping" and browsing photos of rooms you like. I would save 5-10 dining rooms. 5-10 bedrooms etc. Then study those pictures and really narrow down what it is you love in each photo. You will begin to see a pattern and in doing so you will learn your stye.

Have you moved in yet? I highly suggest you get your furniture in place and snap some pictures of it in each room. Pictures are great because it makes you look at a space objectively. Then pull out your photos of favorite rooms and look at them side by side and think about what you could do with your room to make it closer to the ones you love.

By choosing paint first it is going to greatly limit what you can use in that space. Rugs and furniture first. Walls , windows and art last.

Get to work on that favorite file! You are on the perfect site to browse inspiration. Post some here and talk to us about them and then we can guide you.

I can design your entire dining room in five minutes as can many here but you need to do a bit of homework to find out what the style you love is. Channel that excitement into doing this homework for yourself. It will make moving forward so much easier.

chazzlotte thanked Design Interior South
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Side note:JudyG Designswhere did you find this table...it's amazing!

• chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Design Interior South, good idea! I have not moved in yet, I will start looking at some rooms online I like, and then go from there. I’ve noticed I tend to be drawn to blues and grays a a lot. @dsimber thats def a great idea, and not too old school ! I’ll pick up some magazines and see what catches my eye. Thank you everyone so much! This is such a great help. I am so grateful

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

@chazzlotte I highly recommend Instagram. Most designers have accounts and a number of Home inspiration bloggers too. You will find a plethora on there for home inspiration. Pinterest too and this site. Magazines are pricey and limited to what they feature now. They were wonderful sources once but sadly like everything else online venues have trumped them.

chazzlotte thanked Design Interior South
  • Gcubed
    4 years ago

following

chazzlotte thanked Gcubed
  • chazzlotte
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Design Interior South I may be the only millennial on the planet without any social media 😂, buuuttttt I love Pinterest and now I’m learning how to use this website, I think I’ll be good to go!

• dsimber
    4 years ago

I agree! Save your magazine $ for your home furnishings! When we eventually come out on the other side of this virus, there are sooooo many great magazines available at the public library.