SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Pie crusts drama. Should have just drunk the vodka.

caflowerluver
4 years ago

Do you use pastry flour for pie crusts? DH wanted to make a rhubarb pie because we have a lot coming in right now. We like it when tender and young. We are low on all purpose flour. There is none on the store shelves here and I wanted to use what we had for other baked goods. I told him to use the whole wheat pastry flour.

I have used it for pie crusts lots of times and have had no problems. I have used the vodka pie crust recipe and have had success each time. I have made pie crusts for over 60 years and he has made them only a few times. But he made it clear that he didn't want my help or advice and insisted on doing it himself. We don't work well together in the kitchen, even after 44 years, so I always go to another room to keep the peace. He used all unsalted butter (more water than shortening?) and dumped the vodka in all at once. (Thank goodness he stopped and didn't dump in the water too.) I always do it one tablespoon at a time until it looks right.

It is a mushy mess! He blamed the flour, the vodka, the recipe for not telling him to do a little at a time, etc. We tried adding more flour to soak up the liquid but it wasn't working very well. We put it in the refrigerator overnight and hopefully can roll it out tomorrow.

Any other suggestions? I hate to throw it out since it has over 2 sticks of butter, which we are also running out of too. I think these weeks of staying at home close togetherness is being to get to us.

Comments (24)