SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dylanformaggioni

Can I cheat cold stratification

Dylan Formaggioni .
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So last Semester (towards the end of fall) my highschool teacher who was growing some monarch caterpillars in her yard had brought some in and was raising them gave me a seed pod from her milkweed because I was talking about possibly growing some and having a butterfly garden. I kept them in my book bag for a while and then eventually took them out and put them in a drawer where i had a bag of sunflower seeds in my room. I didn’t know that the seeds needed to be cold stratified so now I’m stuck with some seeds that are refusing to germinate and I only have one that sprouted and doesn’t have it’s true leaves yet. I was wondering that if I kept the seeds very warm (in a wet towel in a container over a heat pad) if I could almost cheat them into growing since they didn't get much of a cold period in my room I was wondering if I could manipulate them into “thinking” that the winter wasn’t very cold and the summers are very hot and they would grow? I live in NC so it’s fairly temperate but I’m just trying to start the seeds this year so I can have plants and more seeds for the next season which I will stratify properly.

Comments (9)