SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aglitter

Kitchen cabinet light rail moldings--which profiles are best?

Aglitter
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So, is cabinetry light rail molding becoming obsolete in kitchen trends? My custom cabinet builder apparently doesn't do light rail molding on wall cabinets as a standard feature, and the more I look around, the more I'm seeing recent kitchens without it, even if they have elaborate crown molding.

My cabinet builder has given me little guidance other than to say I can select a light rail molding to either sit on top of the bottom rail or wrap around underneath it, but I'd need to purchase the molding from a third party, as he doesn't offer in-house profiles for light rail molding. I'm posting to ask for recommendations for light rail molding profiles. Here are a couple of photos of my builder's work sans light rail moldings:

Light rail molding is something I'd wanted for our new kitchen to finish the look, as it will be framed cabinetry with a visible bottom rail as in the examples above. Our door style is pictured below. Crown molding will be similar to the samples above but without any carvings, just a traditionally curved crown. The material will be cherry wood with a natural finish.

The dilemma is that the hardwood supplier my builder uses only offers one profile in stock in cherry wood that is even close to the size we need. It looks like this, and it's labeled as a "door molding":

This seems too fancy and the wrong shape to me. I'm facing launching out looking for third-party suppliers of light rail molding if this won't work. My questions are:

1. Does anyone actually like this molding above, and should I consider using it?
  2. If I look for an alternate, should I stick with molding that sits simply on the face of the bottom rail, or is the wrap-under kind better? This will be framed cabinetry with a built-in rail to provide cover for lighting, so it's not technically necessary for me to have a wrap-under molding for function, but I wonder if it would look better.
  3. And final question, does anyone have a suggestion for a light rail molding profile that would work well in this scenario? Thanks!

Comments (2)