SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Using "standard issue" kitchen cabinets to best advantage

Jamie
11 years ago

My small kitchen will have flat panel doors and cabinets in standard sizes. Looking at my renderings, none of my gazillion inspiration photos come to mind. Instead, I see the gazillion kitchens photos that look transplanted and unappealing. I can put my finger on two items that make many budget kitchens look cookie cutter/builder model:

1. staggered upper height for no real reason. I can see how gratuitous height change, without additional and more thoughtful changes, might be advantageous in an inexpensive big kitchen, but in an inexpensive little one it looks wrong.

2. tacked on things to attempt to add richness - columns, feet, etc only make the standard issue cabinets look worse, in my opinion

3. Lack of panels on the end of runs.

I'm avoiding those two things, but my renderings still don't look nice.

What else makes "standard issue" kitchens look worse than they have to? I'm trying to avoid pitfalls that I will recognize 6 months after the kitchen goes in.

I'm ok in the countertop and layout department. I just want to zero in on avoidable cabinety appearance errors for now, because I am about to order.

Any observations or insights you care to share are appreciated. Here are the specific questions I know that I have, but your observations on other aspects would be very helpful, I'm sure.

1.How do narrower or wider door stiles/rails improve or lessen the appearance of average quality cabinetry. I plan flat panel doors. Several of the cabinets are 33" wide.

2.Are slab drawers less likely to look cheap than 5-piece ones ?

3. When do those skinny 9" filler base cabinets look bad and when do they look deliberate and custom? Maybe best to avoid them altogether in such a kitchen?

I'm looking at Medallion cabinets.

Comments (8)