Procrastination - Do We Ever Learn?

ritaweeda

That thread about what we wish we had done before this thing hit makes me think about the movie castaway where he had procrastinated the dental work and really paid dearly for it. Will we ever learn? I wish I knew how to cut my own hair. I keep it short but short hair looks bad really quick when not kept after. :(

SaveComment29Like1
Comments (29)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Uptown Gal

I have 3 smallish, inside painting jobs that need to be done. I kept thinking, "I'll pick up that paint"...and didn't. Could have used these days and finished the jobs in no time.

Save    
Hareball

Maybe this will be something that teaches a lot of people not to put things off. They will see how nice it is to get things done. They may also realize oh man what if something like this happens again and I don't have the chance. But I know there are also a lot of people out there that procrastinate because they already have so much on their plates. They have so many things to do everyday and because of that they don't have time or are just too tired once they finish up their daily duties.

Save    
morz8

Uptown Gal, me too. Although Home Depot is still open with reduced hours, I haven't rushed over there, we're trying to comply with the 'stay home'.

My BIL did go there yesterday. They had their sprinkling system redone and lawn hydro seeded last week. The deer are running amok through it ;0) He bought that temporary netting for fencing and some posts to put up a barrier. It's orange. I should have asked him to pick up a gallon of ceiling white if nothing else.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

An interesting question. I'd like to respond but I'll do it later.

12 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

Life happens and we choose what is important based on the current situation. One of the biggest lesson here is to not live your life in fear and panic.

4 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Nor in denial and not by ignoring new facts and truths that come our way.

3 Likes Save    
dedtired

I am still amazed at my ability to,procrastinate. Here I am stuck at home with all the time in the world and I’m still getting very little done.

6 Likes Save    
bpath reads banned books too

An interesting question. I'd like to respond but I'll do it later.

Hahaha!

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

dedtired, you raise a good point. We often blame lack of time for not getting things done, but perhaps it's not so much not enough time as it is wasting the time we do have.

2 Likes Save    
breenthumb

If there's ever been a time when "no time like the present" is true, it's now. But I'm just feeling so unmotivated. Maybe JUST DO IT! Nah!

3 Likes Save    
Michael

We often blame lack of time for not getting things done, but perhaps
it's not so much not enough time as it is wasting the time we do have.

That along with laziness.

2 Likes Save    
share_oh

So many times I've been happy I haven't put things off because something comes along that would've interfered with my plans. I'm pretty good at not procrastinating but after this I am going to make a point to do even better. You just never know.

Save    
georgysmom2

I'm too old to be putting things off, but I still do.

Dedtired......you and I walk the same path......of course now it's 6' apart.

5 Likes Save    
OklaMoni

Rita, I cut my own hair... and I also mow my own yard.. but I know, the yard part will be paid for when it gets to hard.

I am 65, about to turn 66. No party this time, I am in quarantine.

The reason for that.... is.... my friend asked me if I had ever thought of visiting Australia again... and I didn't answer right away. Then she asked if I would consider joining her, and I jumped at the chance.

Hindsight tells me, I should have cancelled... even though I had a non refundable ticket. I paid more for my return flights, than I paid for the original flights.

However, I had the chance to meet up with my uncle I hadn't seen for 61 years, and I spend some nice time with my sister.... all after Esther flew home early.

Yes, I will travel again.... there is no time like the present to do what you would love to do!

Moni

3 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, not today; that's what all the lazy people say". I heard that chanted a million times growing up, both in English and in German. But instead of being inspired to "Get up and at'em, Adam Ant" (another popular wake-up tune) all I learned was to feel guilty about procrastinating. But not guilty enough to change ;-)

6 Likes Save    
eld6161

It’s human nature to postpone unpleasant or boring chores. I have to say though that when I know a storm is coming, there might be a possibility of loosing electric. I will often quickly do laundry and make sure the pantry is stocked.

But..... who would have guessed this? Not in a million years.

3 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

Okla - I enjoy mowing my acreage too - if only it would stop raining enough to dry out. Haircuts are cheap here so I stopped cutting my own, may have to rethink that.

That's wonderful that you got to visit relatives, well worth the hassle of a trip and something to cherish. How many of us never get to opportunity to visit with relatives and would have loved to have had that opportunity.

Save    
daisychain01

My mom had a poster tacked on her wall that read, "Procrastination is the Thief of Time". She had crossed out Procrastination and written Television overtop. These days, I'd have to cross off television and write the interweb.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw

Procrastination does have it merits. Sometimes you put off doing something that in retrospect you wondered what on earth you were thinking when you thought of doing that. Some ugly hand knit sweater or strange craft. Plus I had a house burn down. Everything thing I didn't get done was one less thing to see go up in smoke.

3 Likes Save    
sjerin

"...not live your life in fear and panic." There are those who live in very tough circumstances.

1 Like Save    
ratherbesewing

I am with you destined! And, I am miffed my DH isn't doing more :)

1 Like Save    
Raye Smith

Living in fear & panic is a choice regardless of circumstances. I've know people that had wealth, great health and so on that lived in constant fear. I've know people that were almost homeless with cancer that lived free of fear and panic. Our emotions are under our control and wise people choose to control their emotions.

Save    
samkarenorkaren

I had really long hair that needed a good trim. Watched video and was able to cut it straight like the pros. The top I just trim a little here and there.

My procrastination is painting I started, 1500 ebooks to organize and bathroom closet to clean out. Lol still got 12 more days off

SamKaren Your resident dj

2 Likes Save    
patriceny

Management by procrastination has worked well for me for years. :) I can't tell you how many "problems" solve themselves while I do other things...

That may be more related to the fact I can tend to be a worrier too though. So I'll be worrying about something and think I should "fix" it, but then it just fixes itself.

4 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

For me procrastination gives me time to think through alternative solutions. I'm glad to have those "I should have though of that earlier" moments before I tackled a project.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I think maybe you're confusing advance planning for a task vs procrastinating about a task. They're very different. What you seem to be describing is planning.

Save    
patriciae_gw

I forgot about all the things I can get done putting off something I don't want to do. I will do all sorts of tasks to have a good excuse to not clean the fridge.

Save    
sjerin

I'm sorry, Raye, but I think you are waaaaay oversimplifying.

Save    
daisychain01

I will do all sorts of tasks to have a good excuse to not clean the fridge.

Me, too! But the strange thing about procrastination is that I've cleaned the fridge, in order not to write report cards.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 10 Design Tips Learned From the Worst Advice Ever
If these Houzzers’ tales don’t bolster the courage of your design convictions, nothing will
Full Story
Gardening Guides Make This Fall’s Garden the Best Ever
Planning to plant in autumn? Learn the most important tip for preventing buyer’s remorse, plus get more valuable buying and planting advice
Full Story