SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tangerinedoor

My front path needs some pretty. I need experienced eyes.

tangerinedoor
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have new construction and a raw lot. I am in Zone 4, New England near the Connecticut River. We get lots of snow. Our growing/bloom season is very short.

My property is Certified Wildlife Habitat, and I'm in the middle of making decisions, taking plant inventory, etc. related to that. Jungle is fine, provided I have solar access hitting my roof.

My immediate need for design input has to do with the approach path to the front entrance. I'm having trouble visualizing options (e.g. overall look like height and height variations, where to put tubs of annuals vs perennials).

While the approach path gets morning sun, that side of the house faces due north and is shady most of the day. I also have to be able to dig out the pathway from under snow in winter. I don't use much salt at all—mostly sand—but the pathway gets icy.

The gravel has to stay. It works well in our freeze-thaw cycles.

Now that I think about it, a grab railing might be a helpful thing along the path if you can help me incorporate that into a landscape vision.

The door is currently blue, but I don't like the color, and it will be re-painted.

The white skirting is required by my lender. No snarky comments, please!

Pathway photo October 1 2019:

Comments (37)