SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamereone

Seeking help from experienced eye for potential Bonsai (Bons-eye?)

kamereone
7 years ago

BLUF: Photos below, which are good candidates and suggestions of what to do with them?

I've got a small herd of neglected coleus, forests of snapdragons that were never culled as seedlings, and one really ugly pepper plant - all in various distorted twisted shapes and woody main trunks.

I know these aren't the typical 'real' Bonsai candidates, but some of the shapes are pretty cool, so I figure why not get my feet wet and try my hand. Worst that can happen is I kill a plant that's already too screwy for a spot in the garden, but hopefully this little experiment will improve my pruning skills for the full scale garden and maybe net me some unique new potted specimens :)

Problem is, I can read techniques all day long but I lack the "eye" to pick out a subject(s) and make a plan of attack. A bit of guidance to start me on the right foot should up my odds of success, right?

So without further ado... The uglies:

First container is the pepper, most woody and likely oldest of the bunch, just finished removing all the foliage to deal with a major aphid problem. (Thanks isgen from the pepper forum)

upper branches

lower half to soil line

And root ball. Soil line was at the slight swell, where a small root is laying perpendicular to the trunk. Was mulched heavily, probably a bit too deep hence the sub-grade continuation of the trunk.

Next up we have... to switch devices because the photos aren't on this one! Be back to edit and add shortly, unless I get roped into the oh-no-company-coming-over-tomorrow-for-the-game-and-the-place-is-a-disaster cleaning frenzy. (Plants in buckets in the kitchen sink probably isn't helping...)

Comments (4)

Sponsored