Really Good Snap Peas

plllog

For long reasons that aren't an interesting story, I was making snap peas in a microwave today.. I usually only like them raw or charred, but they had to be cooked for the dinner, so I thought I'd "enhance" them.

I put them in a right sized, small Corning casserole and sprinkled, dusted, wisped whatever was at hand, thinking vaguely Mexicanish. That was a lemon paper blend (with salt), coriander powder, ginger powder and cayenne. The last was the "wisp". Then I put some water in the lid to control it, and dripped it around until I thought there was enough, trying not to wash much of the spice into the bottom. That sat for about an hour, lightly shaken and then zapped for about 3.25 minutes.

They were SOOOOO good.

SaveComment6Like1
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Hmmmm. I like peas, any old kind, and I hadn't thought of that kind of spice "blend" for them. It sounds good!

Annie

Save     Thanked by plllog
bragu_DSM 5

have you tried a mix of TJs 21 gun spice salute with a strong dash of lemon pepper? That is super good too.

Save     Thanked by plllog
lindac92

I make peas with an oregano, tarragon and a bit of garlic....and butter of course. Cooked stove top in a leaf of lettuce....a little water beneath.

1 Like Save     Thanked by plllog
bragu_DSM 5

I love tarragon too, but it is really easy to overpower stuff with it ...

Save    
plllog

I forgot to say, the timing was until the aroma appeared. I figure if it's good enough to tell a cake is done, its good enough for pea pods. :)

I don't usually add any kind of flavoring, sauce or fat to veg (or, I guess, technically, sugar snap peas are a fruit). They're so good just as they are, I rarely mess with them, and just steam. I was cooking for my mother (no party, of course) and just making do with whatever was there. I didn't have much expectation from the spices or the method, which is why I was so blown away at how amazingly good they were. I think they also came out sweeter than usual, but that could have been the crop or the cultivar. There were barely any strings. Mother helped trim them (it's something she can do safely, and makes her happy) and exclaimed that she couldn't find the strings. I couldn't either.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

bonding moment; no strings attached ... | ^_* |

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Edible Gardens Cool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Peas
Their sweetness isn't just for spring. Peas thrive in cool weather too, adding a garden-fresh note to soups, salads and more through fall
Full Story
Life How to Help Your Dog Be a Good Neighbor
Good fences certainly help, but be sure to introduce your pup to the neighbors and check in from time to time
Full Story
Bedrooms Nap in a Snap, No Bedroom Required
These tips for colors, linens and more can help you turn any room into a snuggly spot for daytime drifting
Full Story