SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natalie_palumbo23

To repot and separate or not: fiddle leaf fig

Natalie
4 years ago

Hello all,

Last year in August/September, I acquired a fiddle leaf fig - my first. I'm fairly new to indoor plants (read: I previously murdered a cactus and have been afraid to get plants since). We somehow survived the winter months after some trouble shooting to find a location that he's happy in. I knew repotting was the wrong move over the winter, since he seemingly was doing okay, but now that spring has arrived, I'm considering repotting. The main reason I'd like to repot is that it takes forever for the soil to dry out between watering - I would check with a water meter fairly deep and would end up waiting 3+ weeks for the lower areas of soil to dry out. I suspect that the plant had/has some root rot going on starting before I got him.

I'd like to get him in a healthy, good-drainage mix (since I have no idea what the mix is right now) and trim back any dead/gross roots, but I don't know if it's the right time (end of March). I've heard I should wait until Father's day, and I suppose that would be fine, but I still have the problem of the water retention.

I have yet to fertilize (I bought Dyna Gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6). I only just got some new growth (which is showing signs of stress from the bad watering, I suspect).

So, to repot or not?

The other complicating factor is that there are 4 trunks (?) in the pot and it seems a bit crowded to me. Maybe FLF like that? I know it's possible to separate them, I just don't know if I should.

Other info:

The FLF is about 6ft tall, in a plastic pot 12" diameter by 10" deep with drainage holes

location - northern Ca, FLF indoor, adjacent to a SE facing window with a grow light (trying to find the right amount right now, I recently increased light and he got a sunburn), I used a humidifier for him intermittently

watering - every 2-4 weeks, depending on how quickly the soil is drying. I check with a water meter. I run water through the soil until some comes out the bottom in the shower, then wait for it to stop draining before I take him out to his normal spot

No fertilizer yet

Thank you!!

Comments (4)