SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

What's for Dinner #376

bragu_DSM 5
4 years ago

Definitely NO photo of this, but made some chili [never had a fail batch, like that about chili] and I went to find some crackers. Mother Hubbard's cupboard was bare of those particular munchies.

Grabbed some plain Jane corn/rice Chex-like cereal. Just the right amount of crunch, and the little squares soaked up just enough chili to make it a texturitious bite...

And yes, I would do it again.

Comments (101)

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I cried again when he walked in the door. I've been over-stressed about it for a while. No more tears, now : )

I noticed the red had faded from the corks a bit in the first wash : ) So glad you posted that, and the story that goes with it. I've quite a few corks should I need them. Glad I started saving them this past week. That was a joke ; )

I'm fine on yeast - not much, but doubt I'll run out or low as my flour supply is limited. Thinking pasta is the way to go with what's left, as that is more filling and stretches for meals. I am excited for your friends! It'll be a great way to keep their minds off of things, too.

Thrilled to be a misfit too! Ha! Misfits only had Wednesdays and on available. I took Wednesdays. Disappointed about no delivery for a while, but just so happy to be getting produce at some point. I do understand, they are overwhelmed as everyone is. Thanks for that push, Sleevendog. Means a lot to me. As do your comments on food handling. I pay attention. Will you look at that bok choy? Can get nasty bok choy here, once a year maybe, and all those limes. If those are brussel sprouts I'm walking to your house... Nope, not an ugly veg in the bunch. Those are all nice!

Walnut Creek, Sleeve can answer far better than myself. I'll only add you can choose weekly or every other week, and you can cancel a week or a month or whatever as needed. I'll let Sleevendog take over for the rest. Thank goodness she started it.

ETA: I'd never have known watermelon radish. Wait until May when I start posting pics and saying 'what the heck is this?' LOL!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

Walnut, you would want the small box like above, every other week. Most things will keep a long time, 2-3 weeks. The root crops, onions, citrus, cabbage, greens. Even the box choy for a week. You will never receive too much of any one thing. Most can be cooked and frozen.

I'll use the cucumbers first with the fresh dill. The can tomatoes are an add-on....that list is long but I don't need grains, beans, etc. (forgot to add a chocolate bar treat, bummer, lol)

And if you don't like the service, you can cancel at anytime.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • Related Discussions

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More
  • 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Add-on?? They have canned and grains and beans? I didn't see that! Oh, that's only for certain areas, I'm guessing, as I don't see that when I log on.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

Great info, sleevendog and 2ManyDiversions. Thank you. I am going to seriously consider.

3 years ago

You will see that closer to your shipping day...like the week before. I can't make selections until then or see what they have. I get an e-mail when I can do that. They scored Bob'sRedMill organics at a great price when Bob's started switching there bagging system. Still good shelf life but groceries did not want it. They want the new bags.

We all know what a 'sell by' date means and can freezer oats, flours, etc. The dates are not even soon for the most part.

Some areas may not have that yet but should be soon in your area.

Did not need celery this time...it also lasts a few weeks. AND, they do not cut all those delicious leafy tops to fit in plastic bags. Everything comes without bags. A few exceptions.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Ok, I'm officially feeling far too excited about Misfits. Ha! Thank you for the explanation(s) - very thorough and clear. Sounds beyond wonderful. Why did I hesitate to start it? That was rhetorical. And here I thought I was the only one who relished those little bit of leafy greens on celery! Wonderful in soups, and salads - no other flavor like them.

3 years ago

Celery is on the 'dirty dozen' list of most found pesticides, even after washing. So we always buy organic. They cut off the tops as well to fit in their plastic. Shame. : )

Those that swing by the 'what's for dinner' to see pretty pictures, tough tittie. We are home bound and need social time. I'm making a complicated lasagna today, lol. We have no appetite but DH has been a sport and chopping. I'll pic the process.

What was I thinking making lasagna. A can of tuna would be fine right now. Or a charcuterie easy plate. (I have two eggplants that will be layer #two that need using up....) I hear chop-chopping in the kitchen. Good boy.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

I love those celery leaves, too. Love to chop them up and add to salads or sprinkle on bread.

• petalique
    3 years ago

Thanks, 2Many. I will have to try that.

So great that your guy can work from home.

Sleevendog, those gorgeous vegetables!

• annie1992
    3 years ago

2many, I'm SO happy your hubs will now work at home, that's so much better.

I didn't take pictures of supper, I made barbacoa in the crockpot and we had that with corn tortillas. I got 32 baby chicks today and have been busy messing around with them, and forgot to take a picture!

Annie

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Had to come online briefly, quickly, going back off. But... Annie, I am so excited about those baby egg laying chicks! 32! Wow, that's wonderful!

I also can't believe you forgot to take a pic {stern face, then laughing face!}

• neely
    3 years ago

Such good news 2many. Could hear the relief and happiness in your news about DH.

I wish we had as many delivery people as you all seem to have. Our major delivery stores were overwhelmed weeks ago and stopped the service. We do still have plenty of food and neighbor and sons will buy anything we need but we don’t like to bother them too much. Of course the restaurants will deliver but we are too ‘chicken’ to order in. Your box from your misfits while looking so green Sleevendog also had me green with envy. Fantastic.

Anyway dinner last night was a small piece of steak from the freezer, coleslaw and a nuked potatoe, still healthy eating but smaller portions which is good for the waistline.

A big hug to everyone and stay safe. Who would have thought we would all be united in these unprecedented efforts.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked neely
  • neely
    3 years ago

Dinner tonight was fish, not sure of the name, from the freezer with Dahl and rice.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Really nice-looking meals, Neely!

Annie, baby chicks!!! I used to work in chicken barns. The one barn was strictly for new hatchlings. 2,200 little bundles of chirping love!

Today was a gorgeous day.

It started out with bread making at 7am

Then I went out for a bit, for fresh air.

The afternoon was spent with IL Divo and wine.

Dinner was pizza, and.........more wine! A friend on the cast iron FB page said he saw a trend happening....:-D

bragu_DSM 5 thanked Jasdip
  • annie1992
    3 years ago

Neely, your cole slaw looks really good, so does your fish. Smaller portions probably won't hurt me at all, LOL, I try to fill up on vegetables but somehow I never get smaller...

Jasdip, 32 chicks are enough, although I'd love to work with all those chickens, or any other group of animals, I love them all! Elery says your pizza looks amazing, BTW.

2many, I'll share. Here's Margaux, the Midnight Maran:

And a Prairie Bluebell named Pork. Don't ask me why, LOL, she just is, but she's one of my favorites, I love her colors. I tried to take a picture of Madi's Buff Brahma with her feathery toes, but couldn't get a good shot, I'll wait until Madi is here to hold her own chicken!

Meanwhile we had chicken for dinner. (grin) Sides were corn, Elery's pink half runner beans and fresh cucumber because I had to go to the grocery today to pick up Mother's groceries. She had to have Ore Ida french fries, although she really wanted the Meijer brand, and she had to have Meijer brand hamburger buns although she wanted the Hawaiian ones. Ah well, at least they had some of each. And they had some pretty fresh looking cucumbers, as well as Elery's iceberg lettuce and Gala apples.

A couple of days ago we had hamburgers with a wheatberry salad:

And I used my "new" toy, a vintage burger press that was hiding in one of my auction boxes, it's been in the garage for a couple of months. I decided to thaw a bunch of ground beef, mix it with some pork and venison and seasonings and make patties. It's spring and I'll be getting busy, so it'll be nice to be able to grab a frozen patty and just cook it for a quick supper. So, I shaped and froze 36 burger patties. The press worked great, I was impressed!

And it still has the original price tag. I have no idea what/where DePree's is...

And what will tomorrow bring? It's all unknown, of course, but we'll get through this together. Stay strong and stay safe. Oh, and stop watching the news, it's just depressing!

Annie

bragu_DSM 5 thanked annie1992
  • cookebook
    3 years ago

I live with my mom and dad (82 and 84 years young) and mom and I made bread yesterday. It was my first time. It was really fun. Couldn't find yeast but I borrowed some from my sister-in-law. Thanks to all of you bakers for inspiring me!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked cookebook
  • Sooz
    3 years ago

It's pushing 1:00 a.m. here on Pacific Time, and it's raining outside--such a lovely sound! I'm posting this picture & then off to bed, hoping to fall asleep to the sound of the rain. The only thing I personally missed from this roast beef sandwich is having some crispy bacon on it (and cheddar would have been good, but the Havarti was tasty).

Smiles,

Sooz

• neely
    3 years ago

Good looking bread there cookebook and yummy looking sandwich Sooz.

Cute chicks Annie.

Dinner tonight was pasta tuna bake, various beans and a fresh salad with lettuce, tomato and herbs. I made a full on vinaigrette for the salad and it was good.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words about DH : ) Wow, this thread is moving now!

Sleevendog, you ‘tough tittie’ comment slayed me! I’ve always enjoyed this group of friends, and even more so the incredible kindness and support of late. I finally started my celery ‘stump’ – it’s forming leaves now and I’ve a pot to transplant it to outside, waiting. Another in the fridge to slice. Thank you Neely – I hadn’t realized how stressed I was until the past few days – I’m a new person : ) A big hug back to you, and everyone here from me as well! Neely, I wish you had delivery persons too… but sure am glad to hear you’ve got food. Clearly no one here seems to be suffering from hunger, and because it looks so good, you’ve got me in the mood for a steak! Yum, and nice sear! The entire pasta tuna plate has me salivating, though. Jasdip, any day that starts early, especially with bread baking, is a gorgeous day! That’s some gorgeous bread to go with your day – oh, but it’s that pizza that wins the prize. Wine and pizza? Perfect day. Annie, I had no idea laying chicks were that colorful (did anyone else know?)! Pork is a little beauty! I’d have a hard time working with them… I’d spend way too much time with them, talking with and watching them. I do that with our cats and fish. And fish can’t even hear. Well, mine can. So there. I’d love to see fuzzy toes! Love the names! And you had chicken for dinner – ha! I could do that. Mom grew up on a farm and told me enough stories as a child that I grew to appreciate things, in all forms. I admit I stared at Elery’s beans for a very long time… : ) That burger press would be handy if someone was going to press, say, oh, 36 burgers! We are all moving to your house when we run out of food! $2.98… outrageous price! Ha! Cookebook… bra-vo! And what a wonderful way to make memories, too. I foresee a lot of loafs in your future – they look perfect : ) Sooz, both DH and I would say, even without the bacon, that is a perfect sandwich. Hope you had a good night’s sleep – hope everyone is getting some sleep. I sure am, now.

After curbside grocery store Saturday morning and what seemed like hours to sanitize, wash, etc., everything, spent the weekend working outside – lovely days, warm, sunny. Got strawberries planted, lettuce seed spread and covered with frost cloth. Tiny patch, but hopeful. Frisee in the herb garden. Basil seeds planted too. I abstained from the TV and covid news.

Ok, meals… Friday and I’ve named this first one: Spaghetti Antiquity. Found some homemade pasta and spaghetti meat sauce in the far back of the freezer (I do keep a notebook, but some things get pushed so far back). They were both dated mumblemumble. I rinsed the mushrooms very well. Yes, rinsed. Not brushed, not dabbed with a towel, rinsed. Can I just not say why? Thanks. And I cooked the living you know what out of them. That’s why they are almost black. Or black. Whatever. But the coup de grace was the parmesan. You know how sometimes you forget to put the parmesan back inside the ziplock bag? But so what because it’s wrapped in cling wrap? But then the cling wrap’s been unwrapped and re-wrapped so many times it loses its cling? Yeah, that. And the parm gets those little white spots (crystallized tyrosine, which means it’s fairly good parm) but still, I thin-slice it off. But after some time, the parm not only turns dark, but also has the rubbery texture of earth shoes soles? And it gets rather translucent? That got grated over the Spaghetti Antiquity. And burnt garlic bread, overcooked cauliflower (with the gray bits sliced off).

SCORE! 10 lbs of flour from curbside pickup! Yeast, too! A small bag of baking potatoes (what luxury!), and… toilet paper! They had one pack left, my young shopper told me, right after she stuck her head in my window. Rolling up my window from now on. And salmon… I got 2 filets, cut those in half to make 4. Mesquite marinated salmon, baked potatoes, and a really tasty apple, celery, quick-pickle onion slaw (recipe on Misfits site). DH commented how good dinner was, 3 times. The man doesn’t even like fish that much.
    Sunday morning a big breakfast of grits, eggs, bacon, toast and hash browns. That’s right, 2 carbs. This is my plate, DH had twice that much. I’m not exaggerating.
    Sunday was spiral sliced hot dogs on the grill. Onion, sweet tomato relish, and Sleeve’s pickled mustard seed. The last of our baked beans, and the remaining slaw. Yummy. We ate in our dirty garden clothes. It was very pleasant.
    Monday – I also got 2 packages of Ky Legend Black Forest Ham. Food savored all but 4 slices and had that with horseradish and crème fraiche. More potatoes, peas.
    I also bought 6 bags of Goya Black beans on Amazon. As it turns out I misread the order, and got 12 bags, or 10 lbs. of black beans. Cuban black bean soup for dinner. I am not complaining : )

bragu_DSM 5 thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

2MD have you ever thought of writing a book?? Your way with words is hilarious!!! I love reading your posts. You see the humour in absolutely everything. You go, girl!!!

Your meals look great! Even your Spaghetti Antiquity with the rubberized parmesan and missing black bits on the cauliflower. Your salmon looks delicious, no wonder DH commented on it.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Aw, thanks Jas, but you're way too kind : ) Uhm, actually, yep. I used to write short stories (fiction) for an Australian Magazine, ha! I have long since lost my ability to express myself as I once did though. Besides, sitting in front of a computer crunching numbers is Just. So. Much. More. Fun. ... not.

BTW, I got chicken thighs! No drumsticks, no breasts even, but I'm making your chicken soon as I get some peppers : )

• neely
    3 years ago

So much yummy food there 2many and as Jasdip notes a good read.

We seem to be looking forward to our main meal of the day even more than we did before we were self isolating.

This meal was a chicken green curry from the freezer. The naan like bread accompaniment was actually a gozleme recipe I found on the Net. I chose a no yeast recipe. ‘Unfortunately’ the pan was way too hot and I burnt them but still as a bread like addition to the meal they were OK. I used the food processor to knead the yoghurt dough so it was very easy and rolled out thin with no trouble.

I will be attempting to make hot cross buns for Friday so wish me luck. Will use Jamie Oliver’s recipe as per his Instagram video.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Ohhh, I can't wait to see your pics of thighs and peppers 2MD!

Neely you reminded me that I want to make some chicken and rice recipes.

I enjoy writing out recipes to try while watching tv. Now I have to go through my binders and pick out some meals to make.

I made fried chicken once before, more than a year ago. It was calling me again tonight.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked Jasdip
  • neely
    3 years ago

Fried chicken sounds great

My hot cross buns tast good but don’t look the best. I put the white cross paste on at the wrong time. I put it before the second rise instead of after, so the white paste melted into the bun. Plus they aren’t glazed. Oh well, next time.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

Had breakfast for dinner last night. Have decided to put a breakfast
    for dinner on the meal plan for each week. I usually have fruit for
    breakfast. All of it was cooked in the AF. The English muffin got a
    bit too brown, but it sure was crunch and good.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

I'm a little confused right now. My appetite hasn't been great lately, DH has finished all my plates. But when I look at everyone's meals here, I want to eat them, and I feel so hungry! Neely, I've never made or eaten gozleme, but yours looks good to me, and that green curry chicken on such nice fluffy rice looks quite good! I've never made hot cross buns either, so you are well ahead of me in that department! Jasdip, I think you are quite confused, you poor soul. That fried chicken is clearly calling me, not you. Do send it on, ASAP. Ahhhh, what I wouldn't give for that right now, or tonight, or any night this week! WalnutCreek, I like your breakfast style : ) Crisp bacon, eggs over easy with lots and lots of pepper! Mmm mmm.

This was dinner night before last... Cuban black bean soup... I made an error, not fatal, but it altered the soup. I rinse the beans a few times, then let soak in water overnight, and I don't drain off the dark soaking water because that liquor adds so much flavor to soup. So, what did I do? Yep, drained it. Oh well, still good. Salsa, creme fraiche (no sour cream) and chives (no green onions... yet) on top. And Neely, I was inspired by you to cut my onions, red and green peppers into big chunks! They are there, you just can't see 'em! DH and I shared a grilled cheddar cheese sammie.

DH has this huge sweet tooth, so I got out my frozen cookie doughs (my favorite is Annie's choc chip) and baked a few. Left out the lemon as I'm running low on them.

As you can see, somebody, maybe a cat, maybe DH, but not me, no not me, swiped a cookie. Disgusting. I mean, show some restraint. And I wasn't even all that hungry. I mean DH wasn't. Or the cat.

Last night's dinner was pork chops with wild and brown rice and mushrooms.. Poofed. And it was ugly, unlike Neely's chicken, which I still think she didn't get from the freezer! Haha! So no pics. I'm trying to talk myself into making some pasta dough today, and I definitely have some eggs that need freezing (thanks Annie, for saying how to do it on another thread! I never knew one could freeze eggs!).

Sleevendog, that misfits box can't come soon enough. I was worried I might have a hard time cooking produce on the fly (I'm such a planner and not creative like you), but I'm so starved for produce I will learn! I've some broccoli in the fridge, a tiny bit. Saving it for Easter. May break down and eat it tonight.

3 years ago

It isn't hard knowing what will be coming a week ahead. Not sure if you will be offered add-ons right away but that is handy. Weird at first. Next weeks list...

The butterhead i'll blanch for wraps, Quick pickles for salads, etc.mini watermelon! (feta, mango, cucumber, and watermelon salad) with basil!

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Oh, I didn't know I had a week : ) That helps quite a lot. Oh. My. Really, really??? You had to post that?? I just died a little. Misfits said April 26th would be the soonest, maybe. I just cannot wait. My gosh. I'll have to restrain myself from cooking/eating it all at once. Wait, no I won't, it'll be delivered every week! Oh, I just cannot wait.

Sleevendog, so very serious right now... thank you for mentioning so many 'little' things, like blanching the butterhead for wraps. You've been so incredibly helpful.

Ok, I gotta quick clicking on your list to enlarge and read it.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

@2ManyDiversions: Thank you. I learned my love of black pepper from my maternal Grandmother. I can still see her grinding more black pepper onto her already peppered food.

3 years ago

Made another 'master stock' yesterday. Malaysian Oxtail Soup tonight.

3 years ago

Pup are eating good, getting our tid-bits and left-overs.

3 years ago

We have been making the usual salads. Low appetite due to many things COVID.

(I did find two tiny burgers and two tiny cubed steaks in the freezer hidden under some bread, like finding gold!)

3 years ago

Last night was a quart of chicken soup from the freezer that I 'tarted up' with some fresh veg and a scoop of broth from the 'master stock' I had on the back burner. Croutons from frozen boule slice. (what's that red thing?) Maybe from the previous nights roasted root veg, a beet juice remainder? I'm not that cheap to reuse parchment, oh well.

Lots of fresh ginger and turmeric. Peas! from Misfits.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

2MD, Have fun with all of your Misfit packages! Your bean soup looks so good! I never thought of keeping the black bean water, but I only cook my beans to package and freeze. Then I just pour some out into whatever I'm making. I squished some with a fork and added it to hamburger recently. I figured it would be healthy protein in my burgers.

Sleeve, I love how you point out all the mystery parts of your dishes! I see some red up on the left as well, has to be leftover beet juice.

Annie you'd never know there was anything different these days. Your work is still the same.....hectic!!!! Shame on your family calling when they're bored. Can you put some to work mending fences, or digging something, keeping them well away from you??

It smells like Burnt Offerings in here. I made Chicken Marbella, which was great, but darned if I didn't burn the rice. I mean, burned, charred the bottom. It still stinks in here. The rice was salvageable, except for the bottom. The pot is now simmering on the stove with water. I don't know what else to do. That's a prune laying there.

ETA: I added some baking soda to the simmering water. A long time later, the pot is now useable again.

• neely
    3 years ago

Everyone is busy and cooking well.

Our main Easter Sunday meal was roast lamb. I know you’re wondering what that weird looking thing is at the top of the plate. It’s the very end of the lamb shank. Some nice crispy bits on there.

• nancyofnc
    3 years ago

We can't have red meat (DH's alpha-gal disease from tick bite) so mammals for traditional Easter dinner like a big ol' ham, leg of lamb, beef in any cut, pork tenderloin are not possible since we don't want him to go to the hospital with anaphylaxis. But, I have a solution. I bought a cooked frozen LOBSTER months ago. Never heated one up before -- I love the internet. I'm to boil water and drop it in, off heat cover and rest 12 minutes. Probe temp to 160F. Melt gobs of butter to ghee and serve with coleslaw, roasted Brussels sprouts, garlic knots or hush puppies, and lots of cloth napkins. Breaking tradition will be tasty.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As much as I would have like to fixed my leg of lamb for the family for Easter, we are settling for either baked spaghetti or lasagna and garlic bread ... for whichever I can muster the energy ... it's been raining all day and am crawling under the covers mapping the insides of my eyelids.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

We will be feasting this evening! I didn't get a ham since it is just us 2 old folks and there weren't many hams at the store... Let those with families to feed have them. I did find some small ham chunks I had put up in the freezer to make bean soup someday. So we are going to have ham/potato/cheese casserole, green beans, devilled eggs, angel biscuits and peach jello. We will be stuffed to the gills!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I'm home alone (DW is bunkered down with her 80 year old father and step mom for the duration). I smoked a small turkey yesterday and ate some with corn and mashed potatoes last night. Just had a turkey sandwich for lunch. I was planning to make a turkey pot pie for dinner but I don't want to OD on turkey. Sooo I'm going to make either a Philly cheese steak or Italian sausage hoagie and throw some fries in the air fryer. I have a pint of baby Portobello mushrooms that I need to use up before they get slimy.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

sleevendog, you have beef! Jackpot!

Neely, those potatoes look amazing, perfectly browned and crisp, YUM.

Jasdip, the rice looks pretty good to me, as does your chicken. If it helps, I roasted coffee this morning and my house smells like I burned toast, LOL.

Nancy, I LOVE lobster, I'd pass up ham any old day for that meal.

Jack, I'm sorry you're alone, at least I have company, so I'll stop complaining about that. (sigh) but hey, you have an entire turkey to eat, so get busy! (grin)

I've spent the day cooking for Mother, so she's getting Easter ham. I took some and left it at Amanda's too, along with a banana cream pie. The Princess has been helping me here, and so she decided to make pasta, and now she wants her own pasta machine, LOL.

I was being stingy with the last of the flour, but figured "what the heck, it's Easter", and so she also baked an apple pie with a crumble topping. Since both the pies had only bottom crusts, we got away with a single recipe, thus saving the flour, LOL.

She's thinking she'll make ramen next, I've never done that, so it should be an interesting project.

There was also an Easter miracle, I managed to peel an entire dozen eggs for deviled eggs without a single casualty, that'll never happen again...

And, with the bone from yesterday's ham, I made a batch of split pea soup for Mother. I'll take her some wheat rolls made with local maple syrup, but I'm betting she's going to say "yuck", she only likes the squishy white stuff, athough she used to LOVE whole wheat bread. I guess tastes change.

I even decorated the Easter table for us, and we watched an on line Easter service. Elery's son is music director at a large church a couple of hours south of us, and they have been putting their services on line, so we spent the morning with his youngest son, at least virtually.

I'm very thankful that technology is such that we can at least talk to and "see" family members, and that Mother is still here to complain about my cooking and that Elery has to put up with my bad farming habit. The new chicks are peeping happily in their warm brooder, as long as the power stays on through tomorrow's wind storm. My garden plants are growing, reaching up to find the grow lights. The lilac bushes have the beginnings of tiny leaves. The hens are laying, the frogs are singing in the pond and spring is here. Life is still good, even in harder times.

cookebooke, keep those parents safe. The bread looks perfect, I could see some toast for breakfast.

Annie

bragu_DSM 5 thanked annie1992
  • 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

My cup runneth over : ) I’ve received two ‘care’ packages of goodies! One from Annie, generously filled with vegetable seeds for our garden – I hope this summer my WFD pic’s will be filled with ‘grown from my garden’ veggies like Annie’s always are! Sleevendog sent me not only parsley for the herb garden, but a microgreen starter kit, which is going to be put into use now – and Sleeve, I sent you a Message – please give me a quick ‘got it’ response if you got it. Not sure if it’ll go through as I still can’t see ‘Message’ on your profile. I knew we ate a lot of produce (not always shown because I don’t take pics of side plates) but I had no idea how much until now. I’m missing fresh produce terribly! Thank you both so very much!!!

Sleevendog, I’ll take the pups bowl on the bottom right – the one with the salmon. Heck, I’ll take ‘em all, and pick through for the veg I see! Yep, they are eating well! Your salad looks crisp and crunchy good. Sigh… Good looking chicken soup, and yep, those peas… sighing again.

I feel like we are playing a bizarre game of “Where’s Waldo”. Between Sleeve’s “What’s that?!” circles and Jasdip’s deadpanned “That's a prune laying there.” I want to say “It’s prune juice, Sleeve, from Jas’s chicken Marbella! Did I win?” BTW, apparently, I am cheap. I’ve a piece of parchment on my cookie sheet in the kickplate drawer that I’ve used twice. It’s perfectly good : )

Jasdip, your chicken looks good, even if the scent wafting while eating wasn’t entirely intoxicating. Sorry you only had ONE prune ; ) Neely, I was not wondering about your weird thing (is this part of the game too??). All I could think was I wish I’d been invited! That meal is amazing looking and Annie’s right, your potatoes are perfect! Goodness my mouth waters looking at it! Nancy, gosh, how awful I feel for you, having to choke down lobster. Not! My dad used to say if ghee isn’t dripping down your chin, you aren’t eating lobster correctly haha! Bragu, I hear you, I napped a bit Sunday. And I don’t understand the ‘settling for’ comment as regards baked spaghetti or lasagna. If you’d said cold, uncooked hotdogs, I might have agreed : ) Sounds great to me. Edie, LoneJack… ham casserole, deviled eggs, or hoagie and fries also would have been good for Easter dinner. Annie, you’ve been cooking! Ah, but what’s new about that?! Ha! Those biscuits look so delicious, and the apple pie looks lovely – is there rhubarb in that or am I seeing things (still playing the game!). I can't help but comment, what a pretty table runner! And I love the egg basket!

At the risk of being the laughingstock of the WFD thread, here is BBQ shredded pork on cheddar and brown butter spaetzle, which I’ve lovingly surrounded with canned green beans. Go ahead, laugh. I did too. Sense of humor intact here. That was Friday.

Princess and I had the same idea… and yes, she should have her own pasta machine (that’s the one I use, too!). I made pasta and fettuccine Saturday, thinking it’d stretch my flour nicely, and fill us up.
    I stared at that pasta, hanging there, and thought, how lucky are we to have so much at this time? How grateful to have such wonderful friends here who’ve helped me? I tried to find a home for my extra black beans (the 10 lbs order from Amazon) and my luck in TP at the grocery, to no avail. So I called around, finally, I found a church that would take our extras, plus they said they’d take any pasta I’d make, since it has to be cooked. I made 4 more batches, wearing gloves and mask. Dried, and bagged. Typed expire date and instructions on cooking (well, some don’t know how!). Kept me busy. They said they’d disperse the food to those who did not have enough. Today I got an email… personal, but clearly anything at this time is appreciated. So yes, we had a happy Easter. I’d rather not say what we ate for Easter, it was pretty ick since I was rather tired, but even if our bellies were not very full, our hearts were.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Laughing here, 2MD!!! "lovingly surrounded by canned green beans."

You wrote such a happy, loving, generous post. Your hearts are definitely full. What a wonderful thing to think of.....sharing your black beans and home-made pasta!!!!

How exciting to be able to cook fresh-from the garden veggies this summer! Annie has taught us all well.

BTW, I did have more than one prune in my Chicken Marbella. I love the prunes, more-so than the olives even. But I did have to show-case it laying there.

Neely I love your roasted potatoes! I can never get mine that crispy. I think I'm just too impatient, maybe. Unlike burning my rice. It wasn't impatience, it was being busy with other things and forgetting it. But I did learn that rice still cooks on medium-high heat instead of a low simmer. The rice actually tasted very good. And I got the pot clean!

Annie you know that we're all in favour of the Princess having her own pasta machine, don'tcha?

LoneJack your hoagie sounds like it would hit the spot for me!

And Sleeve is the master at greens. It's so seldom we see meat, she's eating the way we all should be I'm sure. But alas, I'm posting a pic of my chicken meal.

Chicken Cacciatore ready to go in the oven.

I'm still not used to the luxury of having lower hydro (electric) costs. Our provincial hydro company lowered our rates to weekend rates, till Mid May since so many people are home. So I made bread today! which is usually done on Sundays. That's also why I made an oven chicken dish, very unusual for through the week.

And dinner is served! My, it was absolutely delicious. Hubby would have loved it as well, and I cut the mushrooms big enough he could have picked them out. I'm giving some buns to my friend, and I had to taste-test one of course.

3 years ago

Computer troubles. Kinda trippie and not so easy on the eyes.

took a pic of the screen. and yes, everyones meals look like this.

(looks like some of my Bollywood salads)

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Well, if no one else is gonna say it, I'll bite...

What's that??

LMAO! I'm sorry, I had to! It is circled in red, and frankly, it looks like petunia and violets at the top of the plate, yukon gold potato slices at the bottom, and psychedelic pot leaves in the middle. And there's a pot of hot coals burning in a pot at the top of the photo.

Ok, seriously, Sleevendog, I do hope you get your computer (monitor, cable, vid card settings?) fixed. That'd drive me crazy! LOL! I did love your bollywood reference : )

Jasdip, your bread and buns look wonderful, and your Chicken Cacciatore - the entire plate looks delicious! I still haven't made your chicken dish - waiting for a curbside day to get the peppers. Needs those to be anything like yours, which it won't, most likely. But I'll try.

Ok, so last night we (finally) had our Easter dinner, slightly delayed, but we had it. London broil I'd SV'd over a couple days (not all that time, just a few hours one day, a few more the next. Caramelized onions and green peppercorn gravy, which was really quite good. And broccoli! Yeah, I was so excited to eat that broccoli - I'd saved it for Easter dinner, and I completely blanked out on the baked potatoes! Dinner was on the table when I remembered. DH was nice about it, but I know he wanted his. I could eat meals without carbs, especially now.

3rd Photos for Uploading · More Info

Yeah, I also mismatched the darned silverware. I was thinking of pulling out the good, but decided not to, and we've got 2 sets stainless, which I have jumbled.

Our salad. Those are ashes from the cigar I was smoking while I cooked...

Did you believe me? I hope not! : ) So, I happen to enjoy a salad of fresh mandarin orange segments, with lavender flowers (from my garden) and little dots of mascarpone. That is not what we had. Canned mandarin oranges, closed lavender buds (they are purple), and dots of creme fraiche. Not remotely the same. DH still ate it, which surprised me.

Ah, but later that night...

I'm not even going to lie and say I made this for DH's sweet tooth. I wanted coffee ice cream. So there!

3 years ago

Ooh, broccoli. Not had that in a while. I have a small head of cauliflower that is still gorgeous fresh, and cabbages, and winter squash. Misfits is delayed a few days and fine since I just cleaned out the crisper drawer to use up what is good but should use. Planning meals around fresh veg is such a good mind 'diversion' tactic.

Master stock so good. And mushroom ragu, then mushroom, leek, garlic soup. 5-1/2 pints for the freezer.

Photos post fine.

Then I see this most often....lol, paint by number.

3 years ago

Ordering a new one. No time for that nonsence now with 1/2 my life on-line. Eventually I'll see if it can be fixed and donate to a local school.

3 years ago

I found one perfect laptop position, open wide, I can wiggle into a clear picture.

I'm finding I need to make an inventory and a meal plan menu written down like I'm planning for a major holiday meal. Today, mini asian meatballs, big batch mirepoix, (for the freezer), a blender thing, a juice thing, kale chips, kale blanched, ....I have to write it all out or I'll forget a step or ingredient.

Last night I made a nice veg/dumpling bowl with the star ingredient 'fresh trumpet mushrooms'. Just realized this morning I forgot the mushrooms. haha

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Will ya look at all that perfect roasted garlic? So how is it your prep looks so neat, but when I roast garlic I manage to spread it all over the house, and myself, and the dry skin gets stuck to everything?! The mushroom ragu looks good, but I almost had my nose touching the screen looking at your salad! I still have no idea what 2/3rds the ingredients are in your salads, Sleeve. Maybe someday I'll have access (grow it myself; get it in a misfits box?) to interesting produce. The next salad looks like spring : ) Oh, I discovered 'quick pickle' and love it! Want to try it with radishes perhaps. Fresh trumpet mushroom... I was thinking how wonderful, and laughed a little when I read you forgot it! Then I just felt bad for you... But dumpling veg bowl looks fantastic anyway.

Can't make beef stock here, our 'butcher' offers no bones. I don't buy a lot of boney meats as we really don't have much. I envy that oxtail above, too. Chicken stock I can do : ) You have more freezer room than I. I've an upright in the garage, and one side of a side by side in the kitchen. Gets pretty full. But I'm keeping it organized. You made me embarrassed last year when you posted a photo of yours! LOL! Good inspiration for me, though - no waste!

Ha! Penelope does look rather interesting. I might have to paint that someday (given time).

Glad you can use you pc - I'd order that laptop anyway, given the times. Any other time and I'd troubleshoot.

We had leftovers last night - I remembered the baked potatoes. The meat got a bit overcooked, but I re-heated it with the gravy which kept is tender and moist, so it was ok. No pic.

• neely
    3 years ago

Those weird swirly colours were strange Sleevendog but the rest of your meals look as good as usual. 2 many ..ashes from cigars is a real turn off for me but so glad I read on to find it was lavender... have had a lavender ice cream years ago and remember I liked it. Jasdip your rolls, bread and dinner look so good. (hug). Annie, your canned bean dinner looks good anyway as does your handmade pasta.

Last dinner on this thread I guess.

A grain salad with barley, French lentils, quinoa and herbs with a vinaigrette that had fish sauce and lime. Meat patty cooked with a splonge of Hoisin sauce. Not bad. Fresh green beans first time for ages.

Baked a loaf of bread but pulled enough dough off to make these flat breads.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

sleeve, if you can 'Escape from New York' you can come to the tranquil MW and breathe free, and make me some of those!

pix 2, yum!

*grin*