What's for Dinner #376

bragu_DSM 5

Definitely NO photo of this, but made some chili [never had a fail batch, like that about chili] and I went to find some crackers. Mother Hubbard's cupboard was bare of those particular munchies.

Grabbed some plain Jane corn/rice Chex-like cereal. Just the right amount of crunch, and the little squares soaked up just enough chili to make it a texturitious bite...

And yes, I would do it again.

SaveComment101Like3
Comments (101)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

3 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
seagrass_gw

We had baked sweet potatoes, herbed sauted lamb chops and asparagus. An oatmeal dried cranberry/walnut cookie for dessert.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Dave, it's too bad we're so far apart, I've had shared my crackers!

Seagrass, it's nearly asparagus season here, I'm talking nicely to my asparagus patch, asking it to hurry up, LOL. Stay safe and stay healthy!

I made chili for Elery and I, and we even had crackers, although Elery used his chili to concoct a sort of make-shift taco salad. I have cabbage rolls in the crockpot right now, half will go to Mother's tomorrow and the other half will be supper tomorrow night here. I also made chicken and noodles, some broccoli and cheese soup and raspberry muffins, all for Mother. I'll stop at the grocery for her on the way there, talk to her from 6 feet away, blow her kisses and leave the groceries on the porch. My brother will then come out and get them, sanitize them and take them inside. The "grocery list" includes allergy meds, some laxative for the cat and a new furnace filter, so they are both taking advantage of their own personal free shopping/delivery service. I did have to put my foot down with my brother, who wants me to go to Walmart because he likes "only" their store brand boxed au gratin potatoes (oh come on, they'll all terrible, geez), then go to Meijer because he "only" likes their store brand soft margarine, then to the vet's office for the cat's meds, then Menard's for the furnace filter because they are $2 cheaper there than Meijer, then stop and pick up Mother's coffee at the local coffee shop. Because my doctor says I'm high risk due to my recent development of what they think is asthma, I told him I'd stop at ONE grocery and it won't be Walmart, I hate the place. I'll go to Meijer, buy the furnace filter there with whatever groceries I can find, and I'll get Mother a cup of coffee because the coffee shop has a drive through. Anything else he wants, he can go get it himself or do without, and he can go to Menard's after he picks up his cat's meds if he's so worried about the $2. Shelves here are still empty of things like canned soup and beans, so I don't know if they will even have his boxed potatoes anyway. I can personally guarantee that I'm not the one hoarding them, though!

Annie

3 Likes Save    
neely

Lovely loaf Sleevendog. Both meals sound good seagrass and bragu.

Annie you are a gem but well done putting your foot down with brother. Stay safe.

I was having avocado withdrawal so when our neighbour asked did we want anything at the fruit & veg shop or the butchers I said Yes please.

Had a big fat hamburger with lots of guacamole. Homegrown tomato and lettuce. Was gone in 3mins.

3 Likes Save    
Jasdip

You have a great heart, Annie, but of course we all have known that for years.

I debated whether I should go to the store to buy some milk and green beans that I wanted. I got chastised (by a stranger) for daring to go out and try to find "a can of molasses to make fancy muffins!"

Don't worry I gave her a piece of my mind, and also explained that I do my own cooking and baking, that I don't do fast food, Tim's drive thru (the lineups are long, crazy people!) and that I do bake my own breads and muffins.

So I did make the trek, bought my milk and green beans and pkged romaine lettuce. I kept the social distance away from the other customer at the till. The fellow behind me got too close, then realized what he was doing and backed away. It IS a new way of thinking for sure.

But seeing all these kids in a crowd, people lined up at the liquor stores, crowded, etc, the government said they're going to be stricter with people who don't abide.

Now I lost my train of thought.

Oh, I tried posting my dinner last night, but it wouldn't take my pic. I'll try it again now.

Breaded pork chops which I absolutely love! and scalloped potatoes

2 Likes Save    
seagrass_gw

Jasdip - I haven't had scalloped potatoes for years. I can't believe what you cook for yourself! Always yummy pictures.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

neely, I also like guacamole on a burger, and that looks good enough, I'd probably have it gone in 3 minutes too. I really, really like the plate it's on too...

Jasdip, our Governor just issued a "stay at home" order because all the bars and restaurants were closed for the past week, with take out orders only. So, all the people who hung around at the bars just had parties at their houses and no one was paying attention to the "no more than 10 people" group rules either. (sigh) Our grocery store taped "x"s on the floor to designate the 6 foot distance, and they now have staff at the door sanitizing carts before customers take them. Because the "stay home" order took effect at one minute after midnight today, everyone was at the store this morning, stocking up. It was crazy busy, so I got Mother's groceries and got the heck out of there.

Your potatoes look delicious, I don't think there's a potato in this world that I don't like, no matter how they're cooked!

Seagrass, you should have some scalloped potatoes, I'll bet your Mom has a good recipe somewhere. Stay well.

Tonight we had cabbage rolls, but everyone knew that was going to happen, LOL. Elery and I splurged and split a dark chocolate/raspberry muffin, I took half a dozen to Mother and then sent the rest to Amanda's house, so as not to tempt either of us too much!

I had a visitor right outside my window tonight, very curious, she looked right at me and just cocked her head, like she was trying to figure out what I was. She's been hunting the squirrels that have been visiting the bird feeders and today she stole the suet cake that I had for the woodpeckers. I just let her have it...

Annie

4 Likes Save    
KatieC

I never think to take pictures of dinner at home. Today we braved Costco, which was not crowded at all and we got everything we wanted. People were being nice, and careful. They were out of the wine I like, but other than that, I'm ready to hunker down. There are no cases in our county. Yet.

We stopped at the food truck pavilion for our last meal out for awhile...an excellent bibimbap bowl. There's a big push to support local restaurants' curbside service so I caught myself before it was completely mooshed up and took a picture for the local foodie fb page. Lookit that perfect egg. Not pretty but ohmy it was good.

1 Like Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
neely

That looks delicious KatieC

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Been away for awhile due to health reasons (not Covid-19), but good to be back, at least for now! I've missed everyone, but have, for the most part, kept up with the WFD meals : )

Bragu, I'm impressed! Corn-chex like cereal would be perfect in chili but I'd never have thought of it! Ah, I miss good ole crackers in mine. DH must have cornbread, so that's what I make. Frito's would be good too. Gorgeous bread Sleeve... I've not made artisan in a while. If I can find flour I'd sure like to. Been following your other meals too... always an appetizing presentation, always look delicious : ) Woohoo Annie, you go! If I'd been asked to drive all over kingdom come, I'd have responded the same way, and good for you! Thank you for posting the red fox, I think they are so beautiful. Cabbage rolls sound really good to me, and I've not made any in... eons. Neely, your avocado burger is too good looking. Homegrown tomatoes and lettuce even, and then I see cheese too! I have some ground beef somewhere, and I'm making burgers next non-rainy day because of your photo : ) Jasdip, I woke my DH and both cats up last night reading about those fancy muffins of yours... I laughed so hard, and then I went back and reread it several times because I wanted to laugh some more! I could just hear it, too! You booger, how dare you, really? Haven't you any decency, woman??!! LMAO! The laughing stopped and the salivating began when I scrolled a wee bit more and saw your breaded chops, scalloped potatoes, and fresh broccoli. Now that is a perfect meal. Katie, you'll have to alter your definition of "not pretty" because I agree with neely, that looks delicious. I can't resist fried egg on top of veggies. Or anything else, for that matter : )

Here, I haven't been cooking much, but have cooked some (does that make sense?). Annie, my dear friend, I brined a roast and made corned beef - enough to last us a bit! That's the 2nd cured meat I've made with your recipe (via Michael Ruhlman) and inspired by you. I did sous vide it, then cooked it in juices with cabbage, carrots and potatoes.... I took no photos, but wanted to share that with you! Lately we are eating Poofed because the freezer is full, and our grocery is empty! So our dinners are not appetizing to look at, however, I managed to do some cooking and photography...

The last potatoes to be found in a 60 mile radius, so I made twice baked cheese and bacon & cheese and chives (from the garden, chives, not the cheese) - they'll last us twice as long now! Food savered and in the freezer except for a couple last night with leftover chicken pot pie, which was decidedly not photo worthy, but good.

3rd Photos for Uploading · More Info

DH wanted me to make (more) ice cream with our eggs, but worried I might not find eggs later, I made herbed deviled eggs instead, for our lunch last Sunday and snacking on since. Oregano, chives, and parsley from the garden, topped with Sleevendog's pickled mustard (deviled eggs are the perfect vehicle for them)...

The crunch of black lava salt with the pop and sweetness of the mustard seeds made it a little more special than our usual deviled eggs - and now is a good time for some special things, I think (oops, DH would now accuse me of lying, as I did not make his ice cream!)

He had his homemade strawberry ice cream last week, so no crying for him!

Not a meal, but did get around to making yogurt.

So every weekday morning I've been enjoying banana smoothies with homemade yogurt - this needs to be a tradition now, I'm thinking : )

Thanks to encouragement here, we had fresh broccoli and carrots from our garden this winter. So now I need to learn to can!

Wish someone had warned me about those purple/black carrots though! They stained my hands for days!

Again, not a meal, but part of one, cooking : )

Raining here. I'm thinking soup tonight. Poofed potato maybe? Yep.

Save    

So nice to see you harvesting and cooking again 2MD. And being safe.

A bit stressed here but no panic. The most frustrating was having a 10 day out delivery form FreshDirect. We were both adding to the delivery...it went up to 12 hundred , (lol), then down to 17 dollars. Oy. Then up to 300, 5 minutes later, 160, re-peat. No avocados on my order, but we received 22. 16 babies ones and 6 big haas. Crazy delivery. We did panic purchase, having a secure delivery date, but wacko products....just 24 hours of stress.

Then the restaurant wholesaler posted on the NYTimes that they will deliver to homes. I ordered immediately and that was overnight delivery. Freezer is at capacity.

(neighbor just put homemade brownies in our

mailbox, : ) she does know our only sweet obsession is dark chocolate. (we are doing 20ft safe distance, and everything bleach/alcohol sprayed outdoors.

I'm in NY. We are proactive the best we can.

annie1992

KatieC, that looks pretty to me. Pretty darned good!

2many, I'm so happy to see you back, and glad you're feeling well enough to do some cooking. As always, I love the looks of the potatoes, I've never met a potato I didn't like. I ought to make some yogurt too. And I really like the looks of your carrots, all those colors, I mentioned that on another thread. Welcome back! Your poor DH, missing out on that strawberry ice cream, LOL.

sleevendog, Michigan went from having no cases to being the 5th most infected state in a little over a week. Most of those cases are centered in the Detroit area, but there are now two in my county, from college students coming home after their schools closed I think. They are self-quarantined, but have no idea how many people they came into contact in while getting back here. The Governor issued an Executive Order to "stay home" and violators can be charged with a misdemeanor. People can go to the grocery, the pharmacy, to care for elderly family members, they can walk the dogs, care for their animals, go hiking but are informed they "must" maintain a 6 foot safety zone. It probably should be bigger. I can see it getting much worse very quickly.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

Supper here was a fish sandwich from a local restaurant. I'm thinking that the chains have enough money behind them to be OK, but the small local places are going to suffer greatly, so Elery picked up take out sandwiches while I spent the day on the phone with the Board of Elections, trying to sort out the May 5 election, which has not been postponed.

Annie

Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
2ManyDiversions

Sleeve, I completely understand the orders you've made. I'm something of a wreck some moments, then I calm myself down. But where you are... I just can't even fathom. I can't. And I know it most likely will get that way here, although we are a bit more spread out, physically, except some obvious cities, like Nashville, which has exploded with covid-19, particularly in the 20-30 age range. I'm thinking some people need to take this more seriously. Gorgeous salads (as always with you) but the bean soup at the bottom right looks particularly good to me. I think you can handle all those avocados quite well - after all, you already did!

Annie, I wish our Gov would do the same. Optional here. I did have a curbside grocery pick up yesterday (wore mask and gloves and stayed in the car!), saw lots of young people walking about as if nothing was going on. Older folks were wearing masks and gloves. Finally. Didn't get most my groceries. Oh well. Your fish sandwich reminded me of a memory of McD's fish sandwiches. I wasn't allowed to eat McD's much as a child, but mom would allow me their fish sandwich once in a blue moon. I thought they were so good! I'm sure yours, locally, was far superior. I had fish on my grocery list... daydreamed of it... but no luck, of course. A couple catfish in the freezer. Saving them for later.

Orange must be the color of the day for us! Our dinner last night was a rare for these days, non-poofed meal! Pork loin sous vide, seared and served with apple onion maple hash. Corn, and... boxed scalloped potatoes. Yes, I found them from long ago. Expired, but edible. I let DH eat mine. I said edible, I didn't say good : )

And today I pressure canned for the first time! The darker carrots are sweetened in syrup I made (DH has quite the sweet tooth). All the cans seem sealed, and I'm thrilled, although it's not the pantry stock you've got, Annie! But it's a start!

And since things are so stressful right now... and because I so enjoyed Annie's photo of the red fox... we have a skunk living with us...

No, wait, that's Penelope, our 2nd rescue, and still a kitten. Snow, our rescue cat from a while back is just thrilled to have a kitten in the house... or maybe not.

Actually, they get along (finally) very well, and tear around the house, keeping me entertained... and busy. Stay well, all.

3 Likes Save    
annie1992

2many, Penelope is just lovely, and reminds me of the cat in Pepe LePew cartoons! Poor Snow, LOL.

Congratulations on the canning, but be careful, it can be addictive. I love the feeling of looking at the jars on the counter and thinking "I grew that". After all that work in the garden, not one darned thing is going to be wasted, I'm canning everything I can. Elery tells the grandkids not to stand still too long, they might end up in a jar!

Last night I had leftover chili, and the kids are here, so we haven't eaten yet, but I'll be back to update that. I just had to comment on 2many's carrots.

Annie

Save    

Adorable kitty pics.

Remember we are north of NYC. We started looking for a move after 9-11. My kitchen window at the time, over my sink, was the twin towers.

Now we are in the forest, two acre spread out homes. Just a few miles from a state park...

At 47,527 acres, Harriman State Park is the second largest state park in New York State. Located in Rockland and Orange counties 30 miles north of New York City, it is a haven for hikers with over 200 miles of hiking trails.

We have not left the home/yard. I'm gardening/starting seeds. OCD big time with the minor deliveries we can get. No curbside for days, mostly curbside only now, deliveries are backed up for 6 weeks. Groceries are shut down with less staff. All getting sick. (or afraid to work?)

Save    
Jasdip

I wish there was a "love" button. 2Many, I LOVE your cats!!! I can just see the mischief in the resident skunk....ooops, sorry, Penelope. What a prissy name for a little stinker!! You made my day!!

Save    
Jasdip

I still have a lot of drumsticks in the freezer. Thawed some out, sauteed onions and peppers, and browned the drums. White wine and a bunch of paprika reduced to make a sauce, then baked in the oven.

This is my 10" skillet and I'm so happy it fits in the Cuisinart countertop oven.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5

Oh, putting that on my rotation. I have thigh/leg quarters I was reluctant to oder for one delivery. Cryovac'd so tossed in the freezer. Four packages of 2. I have mushroom/leek, ...peppers, onion, garlic...made a big batch of mirepoix in zip-locks, lots of lemons and olives for a Greek style.

We have had lots of chicken so I'll wait a week.

Chicken with unidentified ingredient. Looks like a cuke but none in the house for some time.

Crisper drawer veggie frittata. 5 eggs. Dinner and a lunch. (no plating pic)

Last nights kimchi tacos. The worst corn tortillas we have ever had. Everything else good. We have so many! We will try chips or get creative. (no masa to be found)

Save    
neely

Great to see you again 2 many... sparkling canning going on in your home.

Sleevendog, such yummy and healthy looking meals.

Jasdip, I’m making a chicken bake tomorrow, yours looks so good.

Hi Annie, our isolation rules are very similar to yours. Crazy times and we are on the opposite sides of the world to each other yet our reactions to this disaster are so much the same.

I’ve been baking bread, so I am one of the people who bought flour Lol Thanks heavens people on this forum over the years have been so encouraging to be fearless and go ahead and just bake some bread.

This dinner below was fettuccine with homemade pesto and a dollop of burrata I found lurking in the fridge.

This dinner below was an attempt to eat from the store cupboard. Tinned corn beef salad with jalapeño mayonnaise. Wasn’t too bad

Hadn’t had this tinned corn beef for many many years.... we used to go camping when the kids were little.

Stay Safe everyone

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

DH discovered flour at the store yesterday, so we used up some older eggs for dinner and I fixed omelets to order and Never Fail Popovers. Made a nice dinner. We don't eat omelets for breakfast here and prefer them for dinner -- but I missed not having tomatoes to add to them.

Save    
Jasdip

Woooo, mystery food Sleeve! How did that get in there?

SheilaJoyce, I love breakfast for dinner. Your omelettes sound great, and I adore popovers.

Neely, you're the one who's been stockpiling the flour!!! LOL

Your bread looks great, and I love that this forum encouraged you to bite the bullet. I love, love this group :-D

Something new again tonite. Chicken breasts grilled, but I just browned them in the skillet. A sauce made of chipotle pepper (yum), balsamic vinegar, molasses, dijon. That's why the breasts are so dark! LOL

Crashed potatoes........I love those puppies!

I spared you the pic of the cast iron. So many of my pics include that :-)

Notice there's no green on my plate. A lazy, unproductive day, I couldn't be bothered digging in the freezer for a greenie. Lucky I did this much!

Save    
Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

Thanks Neely, you rreminded me that I like tinned canned corn beef. I use it like deli corn beef in Monte Cristo sandwiches. It's very good broiled with swiss cheese in the oven. I must remember to picked up a few tins when I shop next time.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Annie, great minds think alike! I named her Penelope as that was Pepe le Pew’s girlfriend’s name! I told DH what you said about canning the grandkids – he got a laugh out of that one! Oh, yes, I do agree, I was so careful not to waste a single carrot slice! I’m already anxious to can chicken stock! Chili… that reminds me, I’ve some in the freezer! That’s what we’ll have tonight : ) Sleevendog, yes, I knew you lived ‘out in the county’ as I call it - with wilderness around you (the Park). I sometimes am not clear when I type… I think the larger cities have massive and fast spread, which eventually makes it to the less populated areas. On a serious note, I pay attention to every post of yours lately as I see you being… in the eye of the storm, or somewhere in the storm if not the eye (too early to know but my guess is not the middle of the storm even). But you understand my meaning. I note how you react, what you are doing. Anyway, I greatly appreciate your updates. Yes, that looks like a cucumber, and I got a laugh from your comment and red circle! Love the tacos, and the mustard seeds filling the avocado (knew you’d make good use of those!). Question: Why the corks on the handle? Been wanting to mention this: DH and I watch Aerial America, and New York State was particularly enjoyable! Jasdip, how did you know she was a stinker?! Ha, because she’s a kitten! I have no chicken. I can’t get chicken. And there you go, posting that photo, of that dinner. If I can find drumsticks, I will make that… looks too good not to. I’ve the same 10” skillet, and a Cuisinart toaster oven I can’t live without… about how long and what temp did you cook yours in after browning please? I couldn’t agree more, Neely, thankful to all those here for bread advice, and other cooking help – great looking bread! You made tinned corned beef and leftover veg look scrumptious! Sheilajoyce, wish I could find flour, am so happy for you! I love eggs for dinner, and agree, tomatoes are wonderful in an omelet…

This Friday I panicked. Told DH we needed to put on our gloves/masks and brave the store, buy whatever they had – hot dogs, bologna, any old junk. Came to my senses Saturday morning. Sunday, was concerned again. Ky Governor told their people not to come to TN on vacation. NC blocked and guarded a road leading to TN (where I live) – all because our infected are far more in numbers. Our local mayors have asked out-of-Staters to not come as well. Too late, as even last week the hoards were in full force at the outlet malls (no one seems to come for the mountains?). Stress is taking a toll on me, though I’m trying hard not to let it. DH comes home from work, upset because they let the public in to pay bills and use their private bathrooms (but the techs are told to stay out). Saturday was in the low 80’s so DH and I worked in the yard all day, soaking up the sun, getting things done, and keeping our minds otherwise occupied. I worked until I was red-faced, and ended up with a migraine all night, Sunday, and now still today. I blame part of it on stress, part of it on over-enthusiasm in the heat. Hands are raw from cleansing and tried to wear garden gloves… I just can’t. I need to feel things : ) We can’t seem to stop talking about the virus, our concerns, what we do and don't need to do. Not sleeping well either. And I’m officially over using washcloths for potty time. But, thankfully, life goes on. Thursday was this mess (I’d bought some ground beef last time I visited the store – grabbed it as they were stocking the shelves), so ‘mock pizza’, and forgive the oily asparagus – I thought enough hot oil and they’d be sanitized!

Friday, I made our Neely inspired hamburgers – what luck to find a couple buns in the freezer! And the one can of beans in the cupboard, of course! Plus, I scored some Goya black beans on Amazon (paid a couple $ more than usual, but heck, worth it!). Cuban black bean soup in our future!

Saturday was a frozen pizza. I wasn’t feeling well, ha! Sunday spent the day in bed, trying to soothe my head. Madagascar vanilla bean ice cream at 2:00pm (made Friday) helped a little – I felt like a naughty kid playing hooky! I steeped the seeds and bean pods for 30+ minutes. This is now my favorite ice cream - more so than coffee ice cream.

Sunday I found semolina orecchiette I’d made earlier in the year lurking in the back of the freezer, plus some ground veal I’d purchased by accident. Capers, white wine, herbs from our garden, and crème fraiche to pull it together. Black (but really purple) raw carrots, and the remaining asparagus. Gosh, I got gabby. Sorry.

Jasdip

2MD--your meals look exceptional! Your asparagus looks perfect to me, not oily at all. I love your hamburger mock pizza!!!! Mouthwateringly good.

I browned the drumsticks (you could use thighs too if you'd rather), sauteed the onions and peppers. Removed them added white wine and paprika and smoked paprika and simmered down. Then I put it all back in the skillet and baked at 375 for about 40 minutes. It's so easy and so good!!

The recipe calls for putting it all in a baking dish, but I love using my cast iron.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Thank you Jas, I appreciate it! I'll use my cast iron too : ) None of my meals look good to me lately, and DH is finishing most my plates. I'm keeping fingers crossed I can get chicken... of some sort!

Save    
annie1992

Dang it, I just lost an entire post!

2many, take a deep breath, this will pass. I don't know how soon, or how long it will take to recover, but eventually we'll get past it, together. The outlet shoppers just annoy me, as do the spring breakers. People are so self-absorbed that they don't care about anyone else? (sigh) Here everyone is pretty much staying home, as instructed, thank goodness, although we don't have any "tourist" attractions to draw anyone in. The casinos are closed, as are "non essential" businesses, so the outlet mall is mostly closed up anyway. And a local brewery/distillery is making hand sanitizer and donating it to local first responders, plus selling it, so I need to see if I can get some.

I did think that the object of Pepe's misplaced affections was named Penelope, but I wasn't absolutely sure, it's been a while since I watched that cartoon!

Your asparagus looks delicious to me, mine is still several weeks away, I can hardly wait, I love the stuff nearly any way I can get it. I also like the idea of the "mock pizza", my carb avoiding husband would probably like that a lot, but the ice cream, oh my, that's exactly the kind of treat needed in these times. I do wish I were closer, I'd share, both my home milled flour AND toilet paper. (sigh) Stay safe...

Sleevendog, I'm also wondering what those corks are under your pan handle, LOL. The frittata looks lovely, fresh and green, and I love peas. Stay safe, I'm glad you are able to get out of the City. Detroit will soon be as badly off as New York, I'm afraid, and the current administration doesn't care for our outspoken woman Governor so we won't be getting the supplies we need either, I'm afraid.

Neely, I haven't had that canned corned beef in years, I used to like it in hash, I'll have to see if I can find some here.

Jasdip, you have crashed potatoes, what else cold you possibly need, LOL.

Sheilajoyce, I really like breakfast for supper, I really can't face that much food in the morning. I wish I had popovers.....

Here we had breakfast for supper last week, Elery had an omelette filled with leftover sauerkraut, leftover beans and topped with hot sauce:

I just couldn't, so I had steel cut oats topped with home canned blueberries, a sprinkle of chopped pecans and some unsweetened coconut:

A couple of nights ago we had chicken Italian sausage with sauerkraut and a side of pea and peanut salad, it's simple but I really like it:

Tonight it was pork chops, marinated in a "korean BBQ" type marinade, with some sauteed cabbage and Elery's beloved pink half runner beans.

The Princess helped us work on fence last week and so we had the obligatory crepes filled with Nutella, but everyone has seen that several times. I made cabbage rolls for Mother and we had some for supper on Saturday, but I forgot to take a picture. I baked her some cinnamon rolls too, also no picture, and made a big pot of chcicken noodle soup. I stopped to get her groceries and the store actually was pretty well stocked, but no flour or toilet paper or the store brand soft margarine, which was the only item on her list I couldn't find. There was a limit of 2 on eggs, sugar, bread, butter, potatoes, pasta/noodles, milk and Tylenol, but there were some of all of those things available, so it's a vast improvement. I forgot to look to see if there was rice, but I don't need any so it wouldn't matter, that was simply curiosity.

Baby chicks will be here Wednesday or Thursday, they'll be my new layers and the meat chickens will be here in about a month. I'll be starting tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant and sweet peppers tomorrow. I made a bulk order of canning jar lids, just in case, I read that the orders of gardening seeds are up 250% so people will have lots to can!

Stay safe, everyone.

Annie

neely

Good comfort meals there 2 many and so good you have homemade orecchiette.

Annie I like Elery’s breakfast for dinner, I could eat it for dinner but not for breakfast. Love your sausage meal... haven’t had sausages for ages.

Jasdip I made a chicken hot pot sort of thing and thanks to you I added paprika instead of the usual can of tomatoes I tend to add to these things. Canned tomatoes are running a bit low. Also added a teaspoon of caraway seeds and DH and I loved it.

Save    

Yum. Lots of comfort food. Love peas. Just got fresh ones in my Misfits. And baking!

DH is making a pasta sauce.

The corks. I spent my senior year in Rome. The first 3 weeks we were dropped off one by one in small villages in Umbria. Lived with families to force us to use our Italian. I was on a farm. They grew everything, grapes for wine, harvest all the meat and veg for the table. They had all their handles corked. When I asked, she lifted the lid up and down quickly, "not hot", (caldo). No need to touch test, then get a pot holder...I'm always multi-pot-tasking. And it reminds me of that year. (my mother hates it haha. (Thinks it's ugly) When I visit, I have to re-cork the braising pan I gave her every time. ).. I need to replace the rubber ones but a wine delivery will fix that. My entry floor is cork. Very durable. The lids go through the dishwasher fine.

1 Like Save    

Last Saturday we made Sleeve's Bo Saam. (inspired by Momofuku's). scratch paper wrote that down and can be easily personalized.

Used cabbage, collard, celery, and beet green leaves instead of the Boston lettuce. Blanched, then into an ice bath.

Really nice bark crust.

Saturday's meal is the next two days 'mies en place'. 4 packs for the freezer.

Save    
seagrass_gw

I'm making a sheet pan supper to have for the next 2 days. A pound of Italian sausages, cut with scissors into 1" chunks, 2 Idaho potatoes, unpeeled, red & green bell peppers and Vidalia onions - all vegetables cut in similar sized pieces - tossed lightly in olive oil and roasted on parchment paper for about an hour at 350F stirring halfway through. Sometimes I make spaghetti with a marinara sauce to go with it, but usually we just sprinkle the roasted sausages/veggies with good parmesean. The leftovers make a great frittata, with warm marinara on the side.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Annie, I hate it when that happens. I hate worse ‘grocery shopping online’ for curbside pickup. I just spent 2-1/2 hours waiting for pages to load as I searched for items I wanted (but most likely will not get) – the website is so busy each selection takes forever to load - and when I got to ‘payment’, I lost internet connection. I wailed. Didn’t even know what ‘wailing’ sounded like until now. Didn’t know I could wail! But I did. Jasdip, I requested chicken drumsticks and thighs. Keeping my fingers crossed. Saturday morning is the earliest I can pick them up. Dang, I wanted to get an early start in the garden. Last week I set my groceries on newspapers on my porch (2 sections; my ‘covid’ section, and my ‘just sanitized’ section), and then carried them inside. Cold foods got un-cold it took me so long. This Saturday I’m setting up a folding table rather than squatting, and a tub to put any non-perishable cardboard contained items into, then into the garage for a few days. I think I remember Sleevendog saying a folding table. Anyway, way better than squatting!

Our Governor issued a Safer At Home advisory. And that’s exactly how people are taking it. As advice, which they are often ignoring. Closed parks filled with people, etc. A few city Mayors (not ours) have issued statements that police can enforce the advisory. Wish they’d all do it. I’d best shut up, or I’ll keep ranting. DH rants nightly, especially after listening to the news. I listen to music : )

Annie, I’d never have thought (or maybe now I would!) to put those ingredients in an omelet, but aside from the hot sauce (I’d use mild salsa!) that looks delicious! Wow, your grocery store is doing better than ours. Yes, I ordered my seeds fast, and had to really search for some I’d chosen earlier. Decided to order more recently, and everything was out of stock. I forgot parsley seeds. Darnit. I need to order the jars and lids. Expense this year. Oh well. Where do you buy your lids in bulk? Neely, your ‘sort of’ chicken hot pot looks great! I often reach for paprika : ) And what nice looking peas, and of course, your bread! Sleevendog, I looked up the Bo Ssam – that looks delicious, but wow, all that lovely blanched greenery? Be still my heart. I often think you paint with food : ) I may break down and start ordering from misfits. There is a charge for this area, but I’m thinking it’d be worth it at this time. Thanks for the cork tip - I've got lots of corks, and that is something I'll definitely do. Seagrass, that sounds delicious! I can’t find Italian sausage here, so I’m quite envious of your dinner!

I made a bihon pancit recipe Jasdip shared with me (thank you!) (and a very old Anita Baker CD accompanied me) – DH and I both really have enjoyed it. I found a single frozen chicken breast in the freezer, so I knew what I was going to do with it! Veg is kinda hidden. I added extra ‘brothy stuff’ to make more of a soup. DH got chili sauce, I like mine without.

Last night was prime rib (bought some oversized ones on sale this winter, way too big for us so I sliced into smaller bits), topped with sautéed onions and green peppers. Country style green beans and new potatoes. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King joined me in the kitchen (not in person, of course, just listened - but how cool would that have been?)

Don’t laugh, but I’m tired of red meat, and that’s the only protein we’ve got in our freezer, aside from a couple catfish fillets, which will seem like a luxury. I called the grocery’s butcher (although they are really not butchers) and asked about chicken (maybe, maybe not) and fish (might have salmon, might not). They do have ground beef. Oh joy. Not really. I want what I don’t have, can’t have! Tonight more green beans and new potatoes, and some Poofed chili. I know, weird. I won’t eat much. I’m thinking Annie’s breakfast for dinner sounds good for tomorrow. Wish I had avocados. And turnip greens. And tomatoes. I am thankful for what we do have : ) ETA the prime rib pic - I forgot it!

Jealous of the red meat. We are way low but have sooo much chicken. A steak would be welcome right about now. That looks so good. My yearly 10lbs of WildAlaskanSalmon is being delivered today. (so thankful for that!)

Sheet pan dinners are a great meal that keeps on giving. I use mine for breakfasts and frittatas as well.

The NYTimes is all about masks today. Why lying to the public was such a bad idea.

DH made an excellent pasta sauce. I 'tarted it up' with my umami spice blend and added caviar lentils I made earlier in the day. Meant to add olives. What is that? Must be a white bean that jumped in with the lentils. Hence the dark color.

Save    

Annie, McMurray's is running out of chicks.

TMD, I have every possible seed and an abundance. Lots of forever stamps. I have a half pound of parsley since I grow it as a micro.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

I had to comment, you crack me up with your red circles of unidentified foods! I've never heard of nor seen a caviar lentil. I'd have guessed they were capers! Too stingy with what little flour I have to make pasta, so will trade that fettuccine and luscious looking pasta sauce for a chunk of prime rib. But I also insist on the microgreens too : )

"TMD, I have every possible seed and an abundance. Lots of forever stamps. I have a half pound of parsley since I grow it as a micro." Well, now that's just showing off {making a stern face, then blowing a raspberry}. LOL! Am I right in thinking that was a very sweet way of making a kind offer? We have a local farmers' CO-OP here, usually not too crowded. I plan to don mask and gloves, and screech like a madwoman at anyone who gets within 10 feet of me! They have a seed stand about 15 feet in. I should find parsley there I'm thinking. I'm right, aren't I? You were making a sweet offer? If so, and if I can't find parsley... perhaps?

"The NYTimes is all about masks today. Why lying to the public was such a bad idea." I wish every paper would publish that. Maybe they will, when it's too late.

Just waiting on an address. Will go out Friday as I'm waiting on a friend that is having the same problem. Give me another category like kale, chard, pea, etc. Might as well add a few more.

1 Like Save    

April fools! (lol just kidding). pm your address

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Ha! The above was the first I saw in the email notice - I knew you had to be kidding :-D

Uhm... you don't have Messages enabled. I can see some others enabled, and I know mine is, so I don't think I'm missing it. If you'd like to message me, instead, that'd work too. I have to go offline now (hungry DH) so I'll check tomorrow. You are very kind, and very generous. Thank you so much Sleevendog : )

1 Like Save    
annie1992

2many, I don't have parsley, but I have extra swiss chard and okra and I even have pink half runner beans, I'd be happy to share. Remember, I bought a couple of boxes of seeds at the on line auction last year and although they were packed for 2018 they are all coming up just fine. I also have lots of hot pepper seeds, LOL, let me know what you need and I might have that. Send me an email and I'll be happy to help you finish your garden, I went to the local co-op today and bought the three things I'd forgotten, collard seeds and pickling cucumber seeds and 10 pounds of Pontiac Red seed potatoes. A "scoop" for 60 cents, the scoop is about a tablespoon full, love the co-op!

Canning jar lids? Don't try Amazon, the price they want is outrageous, it's just about price gouging, I think! I usually order from Fillmore Container, the smallest amount they have is 348 and those are unbranded, but I found Ball brand from Fleet Farm for $2.19 a dozen and they came quickly. I ordered 30 dozen regular flats and 15 dozen wide mouth ones, but I have quite a few left from last year, so that should be enough, I think.

I'm surprised about the chicken, though. Here they had no ground beef but chicken thighs were "buy one/get one free", which brought the price down to about 60 cents a pound, although you'd have to buy the "family pack". And, of course, since I have my own beef and chicken and that local pork, what I really want is one of our local Friday lenten fish dinners at the Eagles, 4 pieces of fried fish, cole slaw and baked potato for $8.00. The churches and restaurants can't serve any "sit down" meals, but if you call ahead and get a time, you can pick a meal up at the curb. Those fish fries are a big church/organization fund raiser here and so they've figured it out, you get a time and don't get out of your car, they bring it to you. Have the correct change, please, or you'll be making a larger donation because they don't make change, LOL.

Sleevendog, I ordered my chickens a month ago so I could get the hatch dates I wanted and I'm really glad I did that. I just got a notice from the hatchery today that my future laying hens had been shipped, I got those from Hoover Hatchery. Townline Hatchery is less than 100 miles from me, I get meat chickens from them and I've preordered those too, but they have a very small selection of laying chickens. I know several of the hatcheries have hatch dates that are into the summer now. Oh, and I also get a smile out of your red circles, UFOs, kind of. Unidentified Food Objects, LOL.

Seagrass, I like to make sheetpan meals, or just big pans of roasted vegetables, we can use them for a couple of days and Elery always puts them into his omelettes, no matter what mixture.

Here we had burgers with a wheat berry/chick pea salad on the side. Elery liked the salad a lot, I thought it was just OK.

Annie

seagrass_gw

Annie - two night's worth of dinners and a frittata for lunch. I'm in the camp of cook once, eat twice or three times.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Annie, if you wish to remove your email address from the above post, you can now : )

I'm overwhelmed by such kindness. Thank you both.

Seagrass, I love a 'fresh' meal, but that never stopped me from making a minimum of 2 dinners' worth (except fish) in most cases, and freezing. I'm always happy when I can stretch anything : )

Last night was Poofed chili with crackers as predicted (not bad), the leftover beans and new potatoes. I saved my one tiny half and DH's one tiny whole leftover potatoes... the last for a while perhaps. Pickled okra (hope to pickle my own this year) as a side. Odd meal for me. DH seems quite happy, though. Tonight more poofed, and I'm baking a packet of blueberry muffin mix.

Today or tomorrow I will pull out many of the freezer items from the kitchen freezer, and all pre-cooked soups I can find from the garage freezer I'll move upstairs. Seems a good idea in case we get sick. I'm quite sure I would not want to attempt the garage steps.

Big bowl of cooked veg in the fridge from last nights seared salmon. Frittata maybe. And building a big veggie lasagna today.....comfort food.

2MD, I can print out shipping labels and have three rolls of forever stamps...not been in a post office in years. Mailman will pick up from our mailbox up the driveway. Your garden is small so I will not go nuts....remember I am day 22 at home now. DH will be 14 days tomorrow. Setting up mask making today.

We have 2 sewing machines. DH likes sewing. All our friends are making masks. And making it 'cool'. Here is one friend...

2ManyDiversions

Thank you Sleevendog : )

Love the mask! See, that's what I was speaking about in another thread, that if masks became a big trend among the young (among everyone), we would fare so much better.

I've a sewing machine, I can sew. I just can't get to the darned thing now. Behind heavy furniture due to remodel, which is on hold. The both of us can't move it ourselves. I tried getting to it yesterday, no luck. My fabric, supplies are in drawers, also behind furniture. : ( (ETA: Besides, with DH working with public, not sure how safe ours would be)

TN Gov says model projections have TN at the worst peak (they say this is just a projection of course) April 19-20, and we will run out of PPE, ventilators, even beds prior to that. Yet no 'order' to fine or arrest or take any action in most states for not obeying the safer at home 'suggestion'.

Save    

2MD, I would not hesitate Misfits right now. It is incredible when we are having trouble getting delivery service. We are good for months having this service now.

Set it up for Tuesdays. Our delivery is delayed but that is fine. Delivery tomorrow, Friday, instead of Wednesday. I switched to weekly now since we are not going out.

Remember this is direct from farm, not handled as much as grocery. We can't get any grocery delivery now at all.

My list coming tomorrow,

Save    
Susan Tencza

had a GF frozen crust from Against the Grains in freezer so made a white pizza

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Our internet is down. Doing this on cell phone, which I dislike.

Annie, I've an email to you waiting for internet connection. Will send soon as I can. Thank you :)

Sleevendog, sometimes one needs a friend to grab their shoulders and give a good shake, and say What are you waiting for? Thank you. Signed up for weekly misfits this morning. No deliveries to new customers until end of April. We will live. Glad you posted.

Susan, lovely white pizza, which I adore! Haven't made one in some time, but need to.

Leftovers last night with muffin mix, old, and barely rose to the pan level. Be grateful I'm not posting photos, LOL!

This took me 20 minutes to type. Did I say I hated posting on my cell?

2ManyDiversions

Wait, I do have a photo. Sorry if it's huge. Can't resize from phone. Corks on metal handles... wonderful! Steamed the corks to soften, cut with serrated knife. I must be hungry, the scent of the wine stained ends steaming was rather nice! And they do stay put in the DW.

Save    
petalique

All your meals look so yummy.

Love the fox and the kitties. Great looking loaves Sleevendog and Neely.

2Many — what’s with the corks under the lids? I need to know ;)

Take good care, everyone.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

petalique, Sleevendog posted a pic above with them under her pot lid handles, and both Annie and I asked. Sleevendog explained, with a wonderful story too : ) Her reason/story is several posts above.

Metal handles on pot lids get hot at times, and also they can be a bit harder to grip (when your hands are sore, arthritis, etc.). I put some under a lid to test it out the other day, and could not believe how much I loved not having to do that 'touch lightly to see if it's so hot I need a hot pad' thing! Also, it makes such a lovely grip, too. I like that part almost as much as the protection from hot handles. I ran mine through the dishwasher (DH said, what's this? I can't put it in the DW!). They came out perfectly intact, so this morning I put them on all my metal handled lids, and one that has thin rubber coating. Amazing what one can learn here!

And as the internet is working for now, I'm going to share some wonderful news I just learned.
DH just called. Told his boss he couldn't risk being at work anymore. I think the New York and Illinois wear-a-mask news finally hit him - and he found out 2 other high risk people with his job in other areas are working from home. I was so happy I burst into tears of relief! He'll be working from home, and only going in (with a mask and gloves) after hours as he needs to print out large maps - more than my printer can handle. I don't care if we drive one another crazy all day, I just couldn't be happier and more relieved. I'm going to go help him set up a workspace now...

Oh, and spaghetti for dinner. Found some in the freezer, and found some pasta that goes with it. Mushroom languishing in the back of the fridge will get sauteed to top. Have some italian bread in the freezer, also.

Tried to add more to my local curbside grocery list the past 2 days, their site is so overloaded I couldn't.

Great news!!! I was starting to worry about that.

Some of my corked lids are at least tens yrs old. Rare, one gets a bit loose and I re-cork it. (they come out of the dishwasher dry). The red will bleach out soon.

Glad you are officially a Misfit, lol. Mine just arrived, two days late but that is fine. They are taking extra precautions. And overloaded with new members. Not a misfit in the box. So great to have cucumbers and onions. I was going to have to go without. And sweet potatoes. And fresh dill.

(do you need yeast? sending tomorrow...my friends in the mask pic above are getting seeds as well....first time gardeners with a new summer home, oy, I've been on the phone with them about gardening)

2 or 3 new wholesale delivery services are joining the home delivery system. No-one can get time slots for curbside.

Still outside, my misfits. I'ii bag, hand in bag inside out. Store downstairs. Everything can be steamed/blanched as I use it.

Watermelon radish! Who knew when I joined this virus mess would happen.

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@sleevendog: I am interested in the misfits. Looked at their website and am just not sure about the amount of vegetables. I cook for one, for the most part, and fear that much of the produce would end up spoiling before it could be used. What do you think, since you get the boxes. Oh, and is it on a monthly basis or weekly basis, please.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

I cried again when he walked in the door. I've been over-stressed about it for a while. No more tears, now : )

I noticed the red had faded from the corks a bit in the first wash : ) So glad you posted that, and the story that goes with it. I've quite a few corks should I need them. Glad I started saving them this past week. That was a joke ; )

I'm fine on yeast - not much, but doubt I'll run out or low as my flour supply is limited. Thinking pasta is the way to go with what's left, as that is more filling and stretches for meals. I am excited for your friends! It'll be a great way to keep their minds off of things, too.

Thrilled to be a misfit too! Ha! Misfits only had Wednesdays and on available. I took Wednesdays. Disappointed about no delivery for a while, but just so happy to be getting produce at some point. I do understand, they are overwhelmed as everyone is. Thanks for that push, Sleevendog. Means a lot to me. As do your comments on food handling. I pay attention. Will you look at that bok choy? Can get nasty bok choy here, once a year maybe, and all those limes. If those are brussel sprouts I'm walking to your house... Nope, not an ugly veg in the bunch. Those are all nice!

Walnut Creek, Sleeve can answer far better than myself. I'll only add you can choose weekly or every other week, and you can cancel a week or a month or whatever as needed. I'll let Sleevendog take over for the rest. Thank goodness she started it.

ETA: I'd never have known watermelon radish. Wait until May when I start posting pics and saying 'what the heck is this?' LOL!

Walnut, you would want the small box like above, every other week. Most things will keep a long time, 2-3 weeks. The root crops, onions, citrus, cabbage, greens. Even the box choy for a week. You will never receive too much of any one thing. Most can be cooked and frozen.

I'll use the cucumbers first with the fresh dill. The can tomatoes are an add-on....that list is long but I don't need grains, beans, etc. (forgot to add a chocolate bar treat, bummer, lol)

And if you don't like the service, you can cancel at anytime.

2ManyDiversions

Add-on?? They have canned and grains and beans? I didn't see that! Oh, that's only for certain areas, I'm guessing, as I don't see that when I log on.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Great info, sleevendog and 2ManyDiversions. Thank you. I am going to seriously consider.

Save    

You will see that closer to your shipping day...like the week before. I can't make selections until then or see what they have. I get an e-mail when I can do that. They scored Bob'sRedMill organics at a great price when Bob's started switching there bagging system. Still good shelf life but groceries did not want it. They want the new bags.

We all know what a 'sell by' date means and can freezer oats, flours, etc. The dates are not even soon for the most part.

Some areas may not have that yet but should be soon in your area.

Did not need celery this time...it also lasts a few weeks. AND, they do not cut all those delicious leafy tops to fit in plastic bags. Everything comes without bags. A few exceptions.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Ok, I'm officially feeling far too excited about Misfits. Ha! Thank you for the explanation(s) - very thorough and clear. Sounds beyond wonderful. Why did I hesitate to start it? That was rhetorical. And here I thought I was the only one who relished those little bit of leafy greens on celery! Wonderful in soups, and salads - no other flavor like them.

Save    

Celery is on the 'dirty dozen' list of most found pesticides, even after washing. So we always buy organic. They cut off the tops as well to fit in their plastic. Shame. : )

Those that swing by the 'what's for dinner' to see pretty pictures, tough tittie. We are home bound and need social time. I'm making a complicated lasagna today, lol. We have no appetite but DH has been a sport and chopping. I'll pic the process.

What was I thinking making lasagna. A can of tuna would be fine right now. Or a charcuterie easy plate. (I have two eggplants that will be layer #two that need using up....) I hear chop-chopping in the kitchen. Good boy.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I love those celery leaves, too. Love to chop them up and add to salads or sprinkle on bread.

Save    
petalique

Thanks, 2Many. I will have to try that.

So great that your guy can work from home.

Sleevendog, those gorgeous vegetables!

Save    
annie1992

2many, I'm SO happy your hubs will now work at home, that's so much better.

I didn't take pictures of supper, I made barbacoa in the crockpot and we had that with corn tortillas. I got 32 baby chicks today and have been busy messing around with them, and forgot to take a picture!

Annie

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Had to come online briefly, quickly, going back off. But... Annie, I am so excited about those baby egg laying chicks! 32! Wow, that's wonderful!

I also can't believe you forgot to take a pic {stern face, then laughing face!}

Save    
neely

Such good news 2many. Could hear the relief and happiness in your news about DH.

I wish we had as many delivery people as you all seem to have. Our major delivery stores were overwhelmed weeks ago and stopped the service. We do still have plenty of food and neighbor and sons will buy anything we need but we don’t like to bother them too much. Of course the restaurants will deliver but we are too ‘chicken’ to order in. Your box from your misfits while looking so green Sleevendog also had me green with envy. Fantastic.

Anyway dinner last night was a small piece of steak from the freezer, coleslaw and a nuked potatoe, still healthy eating but smaller portions which is good for the waistline.

A big hug to everyone and stay safe. Who would have thought we would all be united in these unprecedented efforts.

neely

Dinner tonight was fish, not sure of the name, from the freezer with Dahl and rice.

Save    
Jasdip

Really nice-looking meals, Neely!

Annie, baby chicks!!! I used to work in chicken barns. The one barn was strictly for new hatchlings. 2,200 little bundles of chirping love!

Today was a gorgeous day.

It started out with bread making at 7am

Then I went out for a bit, for fresh air.

The afternoon was spent with IL Divo and wine.

Dinner was pizza, and.........more wine! A friend on the cast iron FB page said he saw a trend happening....:-D

annie1992

Neely, your cole slaw looks really good, so does your fish. Smaller portions probably won't hurt me at all, LOL, I try to fill up on vegetables but somehow I never get smaller...

Jasdip, 32 chicks are enough, although I'd love to work with all those chickens, or any other group of animals, I love them all! Elery says your pizza looks amazing, BTW.

2many, I'll share. Here's Margaux, the Midnight Maran:

And a Prairie Bluebell named Pork. Don't ask me why, LOL, she just is, but she's one of my favorites, I love her colors. I tried to take a picture of Madi's Buff Brahma with her feathery toes, but couldn't get a good shot, I'll wait until Madi is here to hold her own chicken!

Meanwhile we had chicken for dinner. (grin) Sides were corn, Elery's pink half runner beans and fresh cucumber because I had to go to the grocery today to pick up Mother's groceries. She had to have Ore Ida french fries, although she really wanted the Meijer brand, and she had to have Meijer brand hamburger buns although she wanted the Hawaiian ones. Ah well, at least they had some of each. And they had some pretty fresh looking cucumbers, as well as Elery's iceberg lettuce and Gala apples.

A couple of days ago we had hamburgers with a wheatberry salad:

And I used my "new" toy, a vintage burger press that was hiding in one of my auction boxes, it's been in the garage for a couple of months. I decided to thaw a bunch of ground beef, mix it with some pork and venison and seasonings and make patties. It's spring and I'll be getting busy, so it'll be nice to be able to grab a frozen patty and just cook it for a quick supper. So, I shaped and froze 36 burger patties. The press worked great, I was impressed!

And it still has the original price tag. I have no idea what/where DePree's is...

And what will tomorrow bring? It's all unknown, of course, but we'll get through this together. Stay strong and stay safe. Oh, and stop watching the news, it's just depressing!

Annie

cookebook

I live with my mom and dad (82 and 84 years young) and mom and I made bread yesterday. It was my first time. It was really fun. Couldn't find yeast but I borrowed some from my sister-in-law. Thanks to all of you bakers for inspiring me!

Sooz

It's pushing 1:00 a.m. here on Pacific Time, and it's raining outside--such a lovely sound! I'm posting this picture & then off to bed, hoping to fall asleep to the sound of the rain. The only thing I personally missed from this roast beef sandwich is having some crispy bacon on it (and cheddar would have been good, but the Havarti was tasty).

Smiles,

Sooz

Save    
neely

Good looking bread there cookebook and yummy looking sandwich Sooz.

Cute chicks Annie.

Dinner tonight was pasta tuna bake, various beans and a fresh salad with lettuce, tomato and herbs. I made a full on vinaigrette for the salad and it was good.

2ManyDiversions

Thank you all for your kind words about DH : ) Wow, this thread is moving now!

Sleevendog, you ‘tough tittie’ comment slayed me! I’ve always enjoyed this group of friends, and even more so the incredible kindness and support of late. I finally started my celery ‘stump’ – it’s forming leaves now and I’ve a pot to transplant it to outside, waiting. Another in the fridge to slice. Thank you Neely – I hadn’t realized how stressed I was until the past few days – I’m a new person : ) A big hug back to you, and everyone here from me as well! Neely, I wish you had delivery persons too… but sure am glad to hear you’ve got food. Clearly no one here seems to be suffering from hunger, and because it looks so good, you’ve got me in the mood for a steak! Yum, and nice sear! The entire pasta tuna plate has me salivating, though. Jasdip, any day that starts early, especially with bread baking, is a gorgeous day! That’s some gorgeous bread to go with your day – oh, but it’s that pizza that wins the prize. Wine and pizza? Perfect day. Annie, I had no idea laying chicks were that colorful (did anyone else know?)! Pork is a little beauty! I’d have a hard time working with them… I’d spend way too much time with them, talking with and watching them. I do that with our cats and fish. And fish can’t even hear. Well, mine can. So there. I’d love to see fuzzy toes! Love the names! And you had chicken for dinner – ha! I could do that. Mom grew up on a farm and told me enough stories as a child that I grew to appreciate things, in all forms. I admit I stared at Elery’s beans for a very long time… : ) That burger press would be handy if someone was going to press, say, oh, 36 burgers! We are all moving to your house when we run out of food! $2.98… outrageous price! Ha! Cookebook… bra-vo! And what a wonderful way to make memories, too. I foresee a lot of loafs in your future – they look perfect : ) Sooz, both DH and I would say, even without the bacon, that is a perfect sandwich. Hope you had a good night’s sleep – hope everyone is getting some sleep. I sure am, now.

After curbside grocery store Saturday morning and what seemed like hours to sanitize, wash, etc., everything, spent the weekend working outside – lovely days, warm, sunny. Got strawberries planted, lettuce seed spread and covered with frost cloth. Tiny patch, but hopeful. Frisee in the herb garden. Basil seeds planted too. I abstained from the TV and covid news.

Ok, meals… Friday and I’ve named this first one: Spaghetti Antiquity. Found some homemade pasta and spaghetti meat sauce in the far back of the freezer (I do keep a notebook, but some things get pushed so far back). They were both dated mumblemumble. I rinsed the mushrooms very well. Yes, rinsed. Not brushed, not dabbed with a towel, rinsed. Can I just not say why? Thanks. And I cooked the living you know what out of them. That’s why they are almost black. Or black. Whatever. But the coup de grace was the parmesan. You know how sometimes you forget to put the parmesan back inside the ziplock bag? But so what because it’s wrapped in cling wrap? But then the cling wrap’s been unwrapped and re-wrapped so many times it loses its cling? Yeah, that. And the parm gets those little white spots (crystallized tyrosine, which means it’s fairly good parm) but still, I thin-slice it off. But after some time, the parm not only turns dark, but also has the rubbery texture of earth shoes soles? And it gets rather translucent? That got grated over the Spaghetti Antiquity. And burnt garlic bread, overcooked cauliflower (with the gray bits sliced off).

SCORE! 10 lbs of flour from curbside pickup! Yeast, too! A small bag of baking potatoes (what luxury!), and… toilet paper! They had one pack left, my young shopper told me, right after she stuck her head in my window. Rolling up my window from now on. And salmon… I got 2 filets, cut those in half to make 4. Mesquite marinated salmon, baked potatoes, and a really tasty apple, celery, quick-pickle onion slaw (recipe on Misfits site). DH commented how good dinner was, 3 times. The man doesn’t even like fish that much.

Sunday morning a big breakfast of grits, eggs, bacon, toast and hash browns. That’s right, 2 carbs. This is my plate, DH had twice that much. I’m not exaggerating.

Sunday was spiral sliced hot dogs on the grill. Onion, sweet tomato relish, and Sleeve’s pickled mustard seed. The last of our baked beans, and the remaining slaw. Yummy. We ate in our dirty garden clothes. It was very pleasant.

Monday – I also got 2 packages of Ky Legend Black Forest Ham. Food savored all but 4 slices and had that with horseradish and crème fraiche. More potatoes, peas.

I also bought 6 bags of Goya Black beans on Amazon. As it turns out I misread the order, and got 12 bags, or 10 lbs. of black beans. Cuban black bean soup for dinner. I am not complaining : )

Jasdip

2MD have you ever thought of writing a book?? Your way with words is hilarious!!! I love reading your posts. You see the humour in absolutely everything. You go, girl!!!

Your meals look great! Even your Spaghetti Antiquity with the rubberized parmesan and missing black bits on the cauliflower. Your salmon looks delicious, no wonder DH commented on it.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Aw, thanks Jas, but you're way too kind : ) Uhm, actually, yep. I used to write short stories (fiction) for an Australian Magazine, ha! I have long since lost my ability to express myself as I once did though. Besides, sitting in front of a computer crunching numbers is Just. So. Much. More. Fun. ... not.

BTW, I got chicken thighs! No drumsticks, no breasts even, but I'm making your chicken soon as I get some peppers : )

1 Like Save    
neely

So much yummy food there 2many and as Jasdip notes a good read.

We seem to be looking forward to our main meal of the day even more than we did before we were self isolating.

This meal was a chicken green curry from the freezer. The naan like bread accompaniment was actually a gozleme recipe I found on the Net. I chose a no yeast recipe. ‘Unfortunately’ the pan was way too hot and I burnt them but still as a bread like addition to the meal they were OK. I used the food processor to knead the yoghurt dough so it was very easy and rolled out thin with no trouble.

I will be attempting to make hot cross buns for Friday so wish me luck. Will use Jamie Oliver’s recipe as per his Instagram video.

Jasdip

Ohhh, I can't wait to see your pics of thighs and peppers 2MD!

Neely you reminded me that I want to make some chicken and rice recipes.

I enjoy writing out recipes to try while watching tv. Now I have to go through my binders and pick out some meals to make.

I made fried chicken once before, more than a year ago. It was calling me again tonight.

neely

Fried chicken sounds great

My hot cross buns tast good but don’t look the best. I put the white cross paste on at the wrong time. I put it before the second rise instead of after, so the white paste melted into the bun. Plus they aren’t glazed. Oh well, next time.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Had breakfast for dinner last night. Have decided to put a breakfast
for dinner on the meal plan for each week. I usually have fruit for
breakfast. All of it was cooked in the AF. The English muffin got a
bit too brown, but it sure was crunch and good.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

I'm a little confused right now. My appetite hasn't been great lately, DH has finished all my plates. But when I look at everyone's meals here, I want to eat them, and I feel so hungry! Neely, I've never made or eaten gozleme, but yours looks good to me, and that green curry chicken on such nice fluffy rice looks quite good! I've never made hot cross buns either, so you are well ahead of me in that department! Jasdip, I think you are quite confused, you poor soul. That fried chicken is clearly calling me, not you. Do send it on, ASAP. Ahhhh, what I wouldn't give for that right now, or tonight, or any night this week! WalnutCreek, I like your breakfast style : ) Crisp bacon, eggs over easy with lots and lots of pepper! Mmm mmm.

This was dinner night before last... Cuban black bean soup... I made an error, not fatal, but it altered the soup. I rinse the beans a few times, then let soak in water overnight, and I don't drain off the dark soaking water because that liquor adds so much flavor to soup. So, what did I do? Yep, drained it. Oh well, still good. Salsa, creme fraiche (no sour cream) and chives (no green onions... yet) on top. And Neely, I was inspired by you to cut my onions, red and green peppers into big chunks! They are there, you just can't see 'em! DH and I shared a grilled cheddar cheese sammie.

DH has this huge sweet tooth, so I got out my frozen cookie doughs (my favorite is Annie's choc chip) and baked a few. Left out the lemon as I'm running low on them.

As you can see, somebody, maybe a cat, maybe DH, but not me, no not me, swiped a cookie. Disgusting. I mean, show some restraint. And I wasn't even all that hungry. I mean DH wasn't. Or the cat.

Last night's dinner was pork chops with wild and brown rice and mushrooms.. Poofed. And it was ugly, unlike Neely's chicken, which I still think she didn't get from the freezer! Haha! So no pics. I'm trying to talk myself into making some pasta dough today, and I definitely have some eggs that need freezing (thanks Annie, for saying how to do it on another thread! I never knew one could freeze eggs!).

Sleevendog, that misfits box can't come soon enough. I was worried I might have a hard time cooking produce on the fly (I'm such a planner and not creative like you), but I'm so starved for produce I will learn! I've some broccoli in the fridge, a tiny bit. Saving it for Easter. May break down and eat it tonight.

Save    

It isn't hard knowing what will be coming a week ahead. Not sure if you will be offered add-ons right away but that is handy. Weird at first. Next weeks list...

The butterhead i'll blanch for wraps, Quick pickles for salads, etc.mini watermelon! (feta, mango, cucumber, and watermelon salad) with basil!

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Oh, I didn't know I had a week : ) That helps quite a lot. Oh. My. Really, really??? You had to post that?? I just died a little. Misfits said April 26th would be the soonest, maybe. I just cannot wait. My gosh. I'll have to restrain myself from cooking/eating it all at once. Wait, no I won't, it'll be delivered every week! Oh, I just cannot wait.

Sleevendog, so very serious right now... thank you for mentioning so many 'little' things, like blanching the butterhead for wraps. You've been so incredibly helpful.

Ok, I gotta quick clicking on your list to enlarge and read it.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@2ManyDiversions: Thank you. I learned my love of black pepper from my maternal Grandmother. I can still see her grinding more black pepper onto her already peppered food.

Save    

Made another 'master stock' yesterday. Malaysian Oxtail Soup tonight.

Save    

Pup are eating good, getting our tid-bits and left-overs.

Save    

We have been making the usual salads. Low appetite due to many things COVID.

(I did find two tiny burgers and two tiny cubed steaks in the freezer hidden under some bread, like finding gold!)

Save    

Last night was a quart of chicken soup from the freezer that I 'tarted up' with some fresh veg and a scoop of broth from the 'master stock' I had on the back burner. Croutons from frozen boule slice. (what's that red thing?) Maybe from the previous nights roasted root veg, a beet juice remainder? I'm not that cheap to reuse parchment, oh well.

Lots of fresh ginger and turmeric. Peas! from Misfits.

Save    
Jasdip

2MD, Have fun with all of your Misfit packages! Your bean soup looks so good! I never thought of keeping the black bean water, but I only cook my beans to package and freeze. Then I just pour some out into whatever I'm making. I squished some with a fork and added it to hamburger recently. I figured it would be healthy protein in my burgers.

Sleeve, I love how you point out all the mystery parts of your dishes! I see some red up on the left as well, has to be leftover beet juice.

Annie you'd never know there was anything different these days. Your work is still the same.....hectic!!!! Shame on your family calling when they're bored. Can you put some to work mending fences, or digging something, keeping them well away from you??

It smells like Burnt Offerings in here. I made Chicken Marbella, which was great, but darned if I didn't burn the rice. I mean, burned, charred the bottom. It still stinks in here. The rice was salvageable, except for the bottom. The pot is now simmering on the stove with water. I don't know what else to do. That's a prune laying there.

ETA: I added some baking soda to the simmering water. A long time later, the pot is now useable again.

Save    
neely

Everyone is busy and cooking well.

Our main Easter Sunday meal was roast lamb. I know you’re wondering what that weird looking thing is at the top of the plate. It’s the very end of the lamb shank. Some nice crispy bits on there.

Save    
nancyofnc

We can't have red meat (DH's alpha-gal disease from tick bite) so mammals for traditional Easter dinner like a big ol' ham, leg of lamb, beef in any cut, pork tenderloin are not possible since we don't want him to go to the hospital with anaphylaxis. But, I have a solution. I bought a cooked frozen LOBSTER months ago. Never heated one up before -- I love the internet. I'm to boil water and drop it in, off heat cover and rest 12 minutes. Probe temp to 160F. Melt gobs of butter to ghee and serve with coleslaw, roasted Brussels sprouts, garlic knots or hush puppies, and lots of cloth napkins. Breaking tradition will be tasty.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

As much as I would have like to fixed my leg of lamb for the family for Easter, we are settling for either baked spaghetti or lasagna and garlic bread ... for whichever I can muster the energy ... it's been raining all day and am crawling under the covers mapping the insides of my eyelids.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

We will be feasting this evening! I didn't get a ham since it is just us 2 old folks and there weren't many hams at the store... Let those with families to feed have them. I did find some small ham chunks I had put up in the freezer to make bean soup someday. So we are going to have ham/potato/cheese casserole, green beans, devilled eggs, angel biscuits and peach jello. We will be stuffed to the gills!

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I'm home alone (DW is bunkered down with her 80 year old father and step mom for the duration). I smoked a small turkey yesterday and ate some with corn and mashed potatoes last night. Just had a turkey sandwich for lunch. I was planning to make a turkey pot pie for dinner but I don't want to OD on turkey. Sooo I'm going to make either a Philly cheese steak or Italian sausage hoagie and throw some fries in the air fryer. I have a pint of baby Portobello mushrooms that I need to use up before they get slimy.

Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, you have beef! Jackpot!

Neely, those potatoes look amazing, perfectly browned and crisp, YUM.

Jasdip, the rice looks pretty good to me, as does your chicken. If it helps, I roasted coffee this morning and my house smells like I burned toast, LOL.

Nancy, I LOVE lobster, I'd pass up ham any old day for that meal.

Jack, I'm sorry you're alone, at least I have company, so I'll stop complaining about that. (sigh) but hey, you have an entire turkey to eat, so get busy! (grin)

I've spent the day cooking for Mother, so she's getting Easter ham. I took some and left it at Amanda's too, along with a banana cream pie. The Princess has been helping me here, and so she decided to make pasta, and now she wants her own pasta machine, LOL.

I was being stingy with the last of the flour, but figured "what the heck, it's Easter", and so she also baked an apple pie with a crumble topping. Since both the pies had only bottom crusts, we got away with a single recipe, thus saving the flour, LOL.

She's thinking she'll make ramen next, I've never done that, so it should be an interesting project.

There was also an Easter miracle, I managed to peel an entire dozen eggs for deviled eggs without a single casualty, that'll never happen again...

And, with the bone from yesterday's ham, I made a batch of split pea soup for Mother. I'll take her some wheat rolls made with local maple syrup, but I'm betting she's going to say "yuck", she only likes the squishy white stuff, athough she used to LOVE whole wheat bread. I guess tastes change.

I even decorated the Easter table for us, and we watched an on line Easter service. Elery's son is music director at a large church a couple of hours south of us, and they have been putting their services on line, so we spent the morning with his youngest son, at least virtually.

I'm very thankful that technology is such that we can at least talk to and "see" family members, and that Mother is still here to complain about my cooking and that Elery has to put up with my bad farming habit. The new chicks are peeping happily in their warm brooder, as long as the power stays on through tomorrow's wind storm. My garden plants are growing, reaching up to find the grow lights. The lilac bushes have the beginnings of tiny leaves. The hens are laying, the frogs are singing in the pond and spring is here. Life is still good, even in harder times.

cookebooke, keep those parents safe. The bread looks perfect, I could see some toast for breakfast.

Annie

2ManyDiversions

My cup runneth over : ) I’ve received two ‘care’ packages of goodies! One from Annie, generously filled with vegetable seeds for our garden – I hope this summer my WFD pic’s will be filled with ‘grown from my garden’ veggies like Annie’s always are! Sleevendog sent me not only parsley for the herb garden, but a microgreen starter kit, which is going to be put into use now – and Sleeve, I sent you a Message – please give me a quick ‘got it’ response if you got it. Not sure if it’ll go through as I still can’t see ‘Message’ on your profile. I knew we ate a lot of produce (not always shown because I don’t take pics of side plates) but I had no idea how much until now. I’m missing fresh produce terribly! Thank you both so very much!!!

Sleevendog, I’ll take the pups bowl on the bottom right – the one with the salmon. Heck, I’ll take ‘em all, and pick through for the veg I see! Yep, they are eating well! Your salad looks crisp and crunchy good. Sigh… Good looking chicken soup, and yep, those peas… sighing again.

I feel like we are playing a bizarre game of “Where’s Waldo”. Between Sleeve’s “What’s that?!” circles and Jasdip’s deadpanned “That's a prune laying there.” I want to say “It’s prune juice, Sleeve, from Jas’s chicken Marbella! Did I win?” BTW, apparently, I am cheap. I’ve a piece of parchment on my cookie sheet in the kickplate drawer that I’ve used twice. It’s perfectly good : )

Jasdip, your chicken looks good, even if the scent wafting while eating wasn’t entirely intoxicating. Sorry you only had ONE prune ; ) Neely, I was not wondering about your weird thing (is this part of the game too??). All I could think was I wish I’d been invited! That meal is amazing looking and Annie’s right, your potatoes are perfect! Goodness my mouth waters looking at it! Nancy, gosh, how awful I feel for you, having to choke down lobster. Not! My dad used to say if ghee isn’t dripping down your chin, you aren’t eating lobster correctly haha! Bragu, I hear you, I napped a bit Sunday. And I don’t understand the ‘settling for’ comment as regards baked spaghetti or lasagna. If you’d said cold, uncooked hotdogs, I might have agreed : ) Sounds great to me. Edie, LoneJack… ham casserole, deviled eggs, or hoagie and fries also would have been good for Easter dinner. Annie, you’ve been cooking! Ah, but what’s new about that?! Ha! Those biscuits look so delicious, and the apple pie looks lovely – is there rhubarb in that or am I seeing things (still playing the game!). I can't help but comment, what a pretty table runner! And I love the egg basket!

At the risk of being the laughingstock of the WFD thread, here is BBQ shredded pork on cheddar and brown butter spaetzle, which I’ve lovingly surrounded with canned green beans. Go ahead, laugh. I did too. Sense of humor intact here. That was Friday.

Princess and I had the same idea… and yes, she should have her own pasta machine (that’s the one I use, too!). I made pasta and fettuccine Saturday, thinking it’d stretch my flour nicely, and fill us up.

I stared at that pasta, hanging there, and thought, how lucky are we to have so much at this time? How grateful to have such wonderful friends here who’ve helped me? I tried to find a home for my extra black beans (the 10 lbs order from Amazon) and my luck in TP at the grocery, to no avail. So I called around, finally, I found a church that would take our extras, plus they said they’d take any pasta I’d make, since it has to be cooked. I made 4 more batches, wearing gloves and mask. Dried, and bagged. Typed expire date and instructions on cooking (well, some don’t know how!). Kept me busy. They said they’d disperse the food to those who did not have enough. Today I got an email… personal, but clearly anything at this time is appreciated. So yes, we had a happy Easter. I’d rather not say what we ate for Easter, it was pretty ick since I was rather tired, but even if our bellies were not very full, our hearts were.

Save    
Jasdip

Laughing here, 2MD!!! "lovingly surrounded by canned green beans."

You wrote such a happy, loving, generous post. Your hearts are definitely full. What a wonderful thing to think of.....sharing your black beans and home-made pasta!!!!

How exciting to be able to cook fresh-from the garden veggies this summer! Annie has taught us all well.

BTW, I did have more than one prune in my Chicken Marbella. I love the prunes, more-so than the olives even. But I did have to show-case it laying there.

Neely I love your roasted potatoes! I can never get mine that crispy. I think I'm just too impatient, maybe. Unlike burning my rice. It wasn't impatience, it was being busy with other things and forgetting it. But I did learn that rice still cooks on medium-high heat instead of a low simmer. The rice actually tasted very good. And I got the pot clean!

Annie you know that we're all in favour of the Princess having her own pasta machine, don'tcha?

LoneJack your hoagie sounds like it would hit the spot for me!

And Sleeve is the master at greens. It's so seldom we see meat, she's eating the way we all should be I'm sure. But alas, I'm posting a pic of my chicken meal.

Chicken Cacciatore ready to go in the oven.

I'm still not used to the luxury of having lower hydro (electric) costs. Our provincial hydro company lowered our rates to weekend rates, till Mid May since so many people are home. So I made bread today! which is usually done on Sundays. That's also why I made an oven chicken dish, very unusual for through the week.

And dinner is served! My, it was absolutely delicious. Hubby would have loved it as well, and I cut the mushrooms big enough he could have picked them out. I'm giving some buns to my friend, and I had to taste-test one of course.

Save    

Computer troubles. Kinda trippie and not so easy on the eyes.

took a pic of the screen. and yes, everyones meals look like this.

(looks like some of my Bollywood salads)

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Well, if no one else is gonna say it, I'll bite...

What's that??

LMAO! I'm sorry, I had to! It is circled in red, and frankly, it looks like petunia and violets at the top of the plate, yukon gold potato slices at the bottom, and psychedelic pot leaves in the middle. And there's a pot of hot coals burning in a pot at the top of the photo.

Ok, seriously, Sleevendog, I do hope you get your computer (monitor, cable, vid card settings?) fixed. That'd drive me crazy! LOL! I did love your bollywood reference : )

Jasdip, your bread and buns look wonderful, and your Chicken Cacciatore - the entire plate looks delicious! I still haven't made your chicken dish - waiting for a curbside day to get the peppers. Needs those to be anything like yours, which it won't, most likely. But I'll try.

Ok, so last night we (finally) had our Easter dinner, slightly delayed, but we had it. London broil I'd SV'd over a couple days (not all that time, just a few hours one day, a few more the next. Caramelized onions and green peppercorn gravy, which was really quite good. And broccoli! Yeah, I was so excited to eat that broccoli - I'd saved it for Easter dinner, and I completely blanked out on the baked potatoes! Dinner was on the table when I remembered. DH was nice about it, but I know he wanted his. I could eat meals without carbs, especially now.

Yeah, I also mismatched the darned silverware. I was thinking of pulling out the good, but decided not to, and we've got 2 sets stainless, which I have jumbled.

Our salad. Those are ashes from the cigar I was smoking while I cooked...

Did you believe me? I hope not! : ) So, I happen to enjoy a salad of fresh mandarin orange segments, with lavender flowers (from my garden) and little dots of mascarpone. That is not what we had. Canned mandarin oranges, closed lavender buds (they are purple), and dots of creme fraiche. Not remotely the same. DH still ate it, which surprised me.

Ah, but later that night...

I'm not even going to lie and say I made this for DH's sweet tooth. I wanted coffee ice cream. So there!

1 Like Save    

Ooh, broccoli. Not had that in a while. I have a small head of cauliflower that is still gorgeous fresh, and cabbages, and winter squash. Misfits is delayed a few days and fine since I just cleaned out the crisper drawer to use up what is good but should use. Planning meals around fresh veg is such a good mind 'diversion' tactic.

Master stock so good. And mushroom ragu, then mushroom, leek, garlic soup. 5-1/2 pints for the freezer.

Photos post fine.

Then I see this most often....lol, paint by number.

Save    

Ordering a new one. No time for that nonsence now with 1/2 my life on-line. Eventually I'll see if it can be fixed and donate to a local school.

Save    

I found one perfect laptop position, open wide, I can wiggle into a clear picture.

I'm finding I need to make an inventory and a meal plan menu written down like I'm planning for a major holiday meal. Today, mini asian meatballs, big batch mirepoix, (for the freezer), a blender thing, a juice thing, kale chips, kale blanched, ....I have to write it all out or I'll forget a step or ingredient.

Last night I made a nice veg/dumpling bowl with the star ingredient 'fresh trumpet mushrooms'. Just realized this morning I forgot the mushrooms. haha

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Will ya look at all that perfect roasted garlic? So how is it your prep looks so neat, but when I roast garlic I manage to spread it all over the house, and myself, and the dry skin gets stuck to everything?! The mushroom ragu looks good, but I almost had my nose touching the screen looking at your salad! I still have no idea what 2/3rds the ingredients are in your salads, Sleeve. Maybe someday I'll have access (grow it myself; get it in a misfits box?) to interesting produce. The next salad looks like spring : ) Oh, I discovered 'quick pickle' and love it! Want to try it with radishes perhaps. Fresh trumpet mushroom... I was thinking how wonderful, and laughed a little when I read you forgot it! Then I just felt bad for you... But dumpling veg bowl looks fantastic anyway.

Can't make beef stock here, our 'butcher' offers no bones. I don't buy a lot of boney meats as we really don't have much. I envy that oxtail above, too. Chicken stock I can do : ) You have more freezer room than I. I've an upright in the garage, and one side of a side by side in the kitchen. Gets pretty full. But I'm keeping it organized. You made me embarrassed last year when you posted a photo of yours! LOL! Good inspiration for me, though - no waste!

Ha! Penelope does look rather interesting. I might have to paint that someday (given time).

Glad you can use you pc - I'd order that laptop anyway, given the times. Any other time and I'd troubleshoot.

We had leftovers last night - I remembered the baked potatoes. The meat got a bit overcooked, but I re-heated it with the gravy which kept is tender and moist, so it was ok. No pic.

Save    
neely

Those weird swirly colours were strange Sleevendog but the rest of your meals look as good as usual. 2 many ..ashes from cigars is a real turn off for me but so glad I read on to find it was lavender... have had a lavender ice cream years ago and remember I liked it. Jasdip your rolls, bread and dinner look so good. (hug). Annie, your canned bean dinner looks good anyway as does your handmade pasta.

Last dinner on this thread I guess.

A grain salad with barley, French lentils, quinoa and herbs with a vinaigrette that had fish sauce and lime. Meat patty cooked with a splonge of Hoisin sauce. Not bad. Fresh green beans first time for ages.

Baked a loaf of bread but pulled enough dough off to make these flat breads.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

sleeve, if you can 'Escape from New York' you can come to the tranquil MW and breathe free, and make me some of those!

pix 2, yum!

*grin*

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life 10 Reasons to Love a Not-Big House
A smaller home is easier to maintain and furnish, and there are intangible benefits too
Full Story