Pandemic preps #1

bragu_DSM 5

For those of us cooped up at home trying to stop the spread ... share your pandemic preps here.

I had a cold meat [salami] sandwich for lunch ... mayo/horseradish mustard/lettuce/cheese and a handful of corn chips and a diet soda.

No pics, I was hungry.

SaveComment22Like1
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Compumom11

When i cleaned out and reorganized my freezer I found 4 cooked chicken hash patties that I had forgotten about. I had some for lunch today along with a grapefruit sparkling water and a few coconut roll cookies.

Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
plllog

Even though I have what to cook, the civic leaders were encouraging everybody to support local restaurants, The barbecue joint has great steamed vegetables, good cole slaw and the best burgers around, so we got that last night, as well as a whole chicken for lunches.

Otherwise, I've been using up stuff that's taking too much fridge room. :) Turns out thick pea soup (carrots and dill, not ham) is a really good breakfast food. :)

fawnridge (Ricky)

We've been busy baking cookies. With everyone shut in, lots of folks want to spend the day in a coma. We baked 24 dozen Key Lime cookies and 18 dozen Chinese Almond cookies and shipped them all in less than a day.

Maybe cannabis is the cure?

bragu_DSM 5

mmmmmmmm.....unchies

Save    
plllog

Ricky, I have to laugh. On the news from LA they were saying a couple of days ago that people weren't just hoarding TP but also weed. They were shutting down the dispensaries same as the bars. Since the bars are totally shuttered I thought there'd be a run on booze, but as of yesterday the big grocery store looked fully stocked. :) I saw someone buy a six pack of beer. Yep, TP and cannabis and what's to worry? For goodness's sake, don't be passing that joint! ROTFL!

Chili for dinner again. It's very mild because I had the old folks in mind. With a few condiments, it's very satisfying in a comfort food kind of way. There are lots of vegetables in it (can't help myself there).

1 Like Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
annie1992

I was trying to use up the last of the roast chicken in the fridge and The Princess was here, so we had chicken quesadillas. she helped me change the sign at the Townhall to reflect the new meeting dates and I spent the rest of the day "networking" with the Secretary of State about our May election. It's for a school millage and the State has asked everyone to postpone millage elections and proposals until August if at all possible. If not, it's all by mail, that should be interesting. So, I'll know by Friday and since The Princess is off school, I can hire her to be my "assistant" in sending out those ballots, no goofing off for her!

Here the dispensaries are always out of stock, they were before the pandemic. Pot was just made legal last year and one of the dispensaries even delivers. When they actually have stock, that is. So, even if I were inclined to try it, I couldn't buy any, LOL.

Annie

plllog

LOL! This thread is fun. :) I think weed was the number 1 cash crop in California even before it was legal. It's good for our forests and all that it's legal because thugs would take over hard to get to parts of public lands for their growing. I've never heard of a pot shortage in California. :) The dispensaries that were cleaned out was like the grocery stores--plenty more at the distributors. They were talking about stores needing licenses to deliver, though.

Annie, thanks for teaching me a new word. I'd never encountered "millage" before. Interesting thing to have a word for. :)

bragu_DSM 5

millage => TAXES!

*grin*

then there's

Wuhan => certain death

therefore:

Wuhan Millage => two sure things

1 Like Save    
lindac92

Been eating UFOs from the freezers. Grilled some bits and pieces of the end of a whole beef filet....pretty tasteless. And messing around making a sour dough starter....and baking bread with the discard and taking it to people and hanging it on their door knob!! LOL!
The starter is coming....but it's slow....not yet doubling over night. But it smells good and the bread is yummy!

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

lol,

A WOMAN in the US has become the laughing stock of the internet after revealing she has spent the past few days mistakenly washing her hands with a block of cheese, rather than a bar of soap.

Story link, HERE

3 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

Night before last was spaghetti with sautéed mushrooms and a spinach salad (I’d bought gr. chuck before the hamburger shortage). Last night jambalaya from the freezer, cauliflower and garlic toast. Tonight will be chicken thighs wrapped in bacon (very rich and am thinking we won’t want it if we get sick) – also from the freezer, with a side of cooked carrots if I manage to find time to go out and pull them from our winter garden. I’ve reached freezer saturation point in the side freezer in our kitchen as well as the large freezer in the garage, so we’ll have to eat from it for a while. I’m not complaining : )

I have a few dozen balls of cookie doughs in the freezer, 4 varieties, so I’ll probably bake 8 total for DH’s sweet tooth. That’ll last maybe 2 days! I’d promised him vanilla ice cream but think the eggs we have could be put to better use (deviled eggs, weekend breakfasts, and bread baking this weekend).

Off topic: I shopped at our grocery store yesterday (will use curbside pickup from now on) and what was available vs. what was gone was interesting. I had to laugh at the mayonnaise! Every container of Hellman's, including 'light' was gone, as was the store brand which tastes like Hellman's. The shelf entirely empty... but it appeared as if not one container of Miracle Whip had been touched! Tons of it sitting there, looking lonely! So, in this time of uber-hoarding, even some brands are just too offputting? LOL!

2 Likes Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Our dispensaries are well-stocked, but the lines are long. We're baking more cookies this morning to keep up with the nationwide demand.

Interestingly, I had quite a few conversations with stoners who say they're switching to edibles because they don't want to compromise their lungs at a time like this.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Ricky, our stores just opened in the last few months, I think they are still learning the supply chain. Plus we are a college town and the fast food places are nerly as busy as the pot stores. (grin)

Plllog, millage does equal tax, but it's voted on. If the local school needs a new roof and they have no money, they put a millage proposal on the ballot. One mill equals one dollar on every thousand dollars of property value, so it adds that amount to your property tax. The school wants 18 mills, although we just voted to give them a 23 million dollar bond proposal last year. I think this one will fail. They kept saying they needed the bond proposal so they could finish the football field. The 23 million is gone and there is still no football field and people are kind of annoyed.

In our township we passed a 2 mill proposal for roads and 1 mill for fire protection four years ago. It expired in 2019, so we're asking for a renewal, we still have roads that need repair and although "infrastructure" was something the current administration was going to spend a lot of money on, somehow they didn't.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I took a full inventory of all foods yesterday. Freezer, fridge and cabinets. I know that I have always hoarded canned tomatoes but never knew why. I have enough meats for 6 months. Not much went in the trash other than a few freezer burned old items. I think I need more shelf-stable items like rice and legumes which I store in glass jars. ( You are out of luck in this house mice ) I need a ham. That makes a big dinner, sandwiches and a pot of soup. Same with whole chickens, 3 meals. I have written out a two week menu and shopped for all missing ingredients. Time to change wasteful ways.

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

I've been posting photos of my Isolation Meals to my family, mainly just so they know I'm live and doing well.... if not going a little bonkers from boredom.

My CBD cream doesn't help the boredom at all! ;-))

Save    
moosemac

We have been exploring our freezers and using what we can. I have been a drill sergeant about eating leftovers before creating another meal or opening another snack. Today DH and DS got leftover London Broil sandwiches while I ate the last of some leftover chicken in a sandwich. Over the weekend we had some Sausage Kale Soup for dinner. DH was not happy about having it 3 days in a row for lunch. He is not a huge kale fan. LOL

All in all we are pretty well stocked. I am actually thrilled to use up stuff from the freezer. I work a lot so I tend to forget to defrost items for dinner.

Save    
plllog

I did look up millage when I read it. I know and use way more words than most people do (I try to keep it "normal" but when I'm tired the big words come out because they're so much more precise and easier to use). Finding a common word that I've never TMK seen before is a delight! Annie, thanks for the explanation of how it works there. I live in a very populous area and property tax in the state is ruled by an arcane and outdated law. Our bonds and taxes are sometimes raided by the "needs" of the general funds, but we also have some that have written into them that the money can only be used for its stated purpose. It's not a panacea, but it helps get the football field finished. :)

I've been more conservative with supplies too. Learning to use a dish rather than paper for a lot of things, like a fruit peel, that drought taught us not to use a dish for. I've been less free with drinking water too. There's nothing wrong with our tap water, but it doesn't taste as good. Our next delivery isn't for five days, however, and I'm not counting on it being complete before I see it, and I hate depleting what i have too much in case of an earthquake. I could just turn on the tap, but mostly, I'm making sure not to pour more than I need to prevent waste (usually extra would go to the houseplants, but they can just deal with the tap water, which is probably better for them anyway).

annie1992

Hey, Ricky, look, our local cannabis shop is having curbside pickup!!!

https://www.bigrapidsnews.com/local-news/article/Pot-shop-starts-curbside-pick-up-due-to-15140401.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=brn_newsNow

Plllog, millages here can only be used for the stated purposes, but things like a school millage can be used for everything from fixing the roof to buying computers to finishing the football field. Now, personally, I think the football field is wasteful and unnecessary, because the local University allows the high school to use their very nice field and they only have to pay for the cost of maintenance after games, like picking up the garbage and cleaning bleachers. It's far cheaper than building another field AND maintaining it, but nothing would do except that they had their OWN field. So, they spent all 23 million or whatever, and still don't have a football field. Pffft. I'd rather have them spend it on computers or books or something that actually has to do with education anyway, pay the light bill or whatever, sheesh.

Anyway, our road millage can only be used for roads, but we get to choose which roads, whether it's repair or replacement, brining for dirt/gravel roads, etc. It's up to us to choose the most crucial repairs first and sometimes people living on other roads get upset because they want THEIR road fixed first.

Annie

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
nancyjane_gardener

Pot stores here have been deemed essential!

Pretty well stocked freezer, probably a couple of weeks of food.

The Grocery Outlet across the street is staying pretty well stocked.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

had oven roasted chicken with rice pilaf and asparagus tips tonight. it got a hearty thumbs up from my DW.

1 Like Save    
plllog

I was thinking about the pot shops (no personal stake in it, but it's interesting). My conclusion was threefold: 1. Restaurants and bars that serve food can still serve by pickup and delivery, and pot shops have edibles. 2. There are legit medicinal uses for cannabis and closing the stores would drive the people who rely on it to find criminal dealers and be out and about when they should be getting deliveries, not to mention all the other social ills that legalization is supposed to fix. 3. The recreational use may be looked upon as essential for society by the PTB, who likely want to keep the isolated citizenry fat and mellow. :)

Landscapers are also considered essential here. That's ethical because plants are living things, and even ornamentals have a right to live and be tended to. It would make people sad and angry if all the plantings, especially in the commercial districts died. Most landscapers (gardeners, not architects) are working class and need their pay, especially with so many others out of work. And the job is mostly self-isolating, so they shouldn't be considered a big disease vector, especially when they take precautions buying supplies and fuel.

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Just remember, the cannabis dispensaries are keeping the Girl Scouts in the cooking business. Support local pot shop!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Holidays Holiday Party Prep in 1 Day
Don't panic — you really can throw a great party on just 24 hours' notice with these shortcuts and time-saving tips
Full Story
Holidays Holiday Party Prep in 1 Month
Kudos for giving yourself plenty of time to prepare. Here's what to do with it, from planning to cleaning to decorating
Full Story
Houzz Tours 13 Character-Filled Homes Between 1,000 and 1,500 Square Feet
See how homeowners have channeled their creativity into homes that are bright, inviting and one of a kind
Full Story
A shared philosophy of giving back is what motivates the talented team at Purple Cherry Architects. Our work is... Read More
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More