SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Adding more Impervo 1 year later-Typical prep necessary??

bayareafrancy
13 years ago

Hi all,

I started painting my kitchen cabinets well over a year ago with Waterborne Satin Impervo. Then I stopped because I was worn out. I'm finally ready to restart.

Here's the problem: I really wish I would have gone one shade darker on the color card (am using Barley). It took so much practice for me to get that dang application process right, so that the Impervo is smooth and lovely! I shudder at the thought of doing the SAME sections again. Shudder, shudder, shudder.

But the color...it has been bugging me for the past year.

"Color annoyance" vs "Application Shudder." Which will win out here???

Since the battle is currently equally waged in my mind, I am looking for a THIRD variable to help me make the decision. I think the third variable will be the prep work. If I recoat the year old Impervo with new Impervo, do I first need to do the typical prep work of lightly sanding/tacking, or can I just clean any dirt/oil off the cabs and add another layer of Impervo?

If I have to go through the work of resanding, then I think I will just live with the color I have. But if I can just wash, then paint, then I think I will go with the darker color.

Thanks for the help!

:-)

Francy

Comments (3)