SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Ingredients that can be added later

Lars
5 years ago

I made lasagna a couple of days ago and added too much black pepper to the filling. In the future, I will use a lot less pepper when making it, as it is easy to add black pepper at the table. I did put 1/4 teaspoon of salt in the pasta that I made, and I never boil fresh lasagna noodles that I make, although I do mist them with water if they seem too dry. Otherwise, I added no salt to the lasagna, even though I used a lot of spinach in it. I figured that the cheese I used would have enough salt, and in this case I did use pasta sauce from a bottle, as it is only a small part of the recipe. I also did add fresh basil, but after baking, the basil had lost much of its flavor, and so I felt that I should have added basil at the end. I also like to undersalt a lot of recipes because I don't like salt, and I feel that it can be added at the table, if someone loves salty food.

What ingredients do you like to omit in recipes and then add just when serving? Normally I like a lot of pepper, but I really prefer chili sauce to black pepper, and that can be added at the end also. I don't like a lot of sweet/savory dishes, but I think it is difficult to add something sweet (if necessary) after a dish is already made, unless it is syrup on waffles, or something like that. Generally, I like dishes to have the right amount of salt when made (and I use less than most recipes call for), but of course I do often add soy sauce to some dishes (especially soups) at the end so that I can avoid making something too salty. It is very difficult to get rid of excess salt, but my lasagna showed me that it can be difficult to get rid of too much black pepper. Kevin did not notice that there was too much black pepper, but I think I will make some more pasta to dilute the lasagna.

Comments (14)