SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
r3venton

cut back later addition eaves to have better view -adding gutters

r3venton
11 years ago

So the house is about 100 year old but had a later addition of a large overhang on the back porch that was previously uncovered. I've decided that I like some of the additional cover on the patio, but now that I am having gutters added for water control I think the eaves should be cut back. The gutters and a new fascia board will cover all the way to the bottom of the wood support on the eave. The pictures are from my eye level and I think it may cut off too much of my view and make the porch feel more "closed in".

What do you guys think? What would you do?

The rest of the house has built in style gutters and since it is in a historic preservation neighborhood I don't want to try and cover those up and hang gutters off the fascia on the front of the house. But it will need new sheetmetal for those gutters and new leaders and downspouts. We are thinking 3" rounds for the down spouts off these built in gutters.

Here is a picture. The gutter contractor will be sending the pictures of the built in system sometime tonight or tomorrow.

oh yeah, and on top of all that, the upstairs patio needs to be repaired/replaced. I think I want to go with a varnished cedar or redwood, but it has to be waterproof as there is living space below on one side.

Comments (7)