Native Plant Hunters

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

All serious native plant people are welcome. Don't be scared.

SaveComment669Like
Comments (669)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
javiwa

Wow...39 is so far in my rearview -- a little bit wishing for some of that again as we'll hover near 90 for a few days next week again. Honestly, these temps are showing up earlier and earlier each year. Someone in a FB group also posted about their wild cherry, and she said the fragrance is heavenly. I shall not be tempted! ;)

For now, I'm happy with my first Cowpen Daisy bloom ever. I realize CDs might be a bit pedestrian for this group, but I'm really excited to have these in my garden. I don't have many other yellow nectar sources this year.

OK, well, bolting fennel counts, I guess!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

What is a wild cherry? I don't think there is such a thing. Has to be a Prunus of some kind.

Temps a little on the 50's these days, but rain/snow coming tonight and tomorrow. My pots from 2018 are emerging from the snow, and looks like I have a lot of L. cardinalis to look forward to. I'm keeping this seasons 90/60/30 day germinators covered under what snow is left over. I still have large drifts by the driveway to draw on for a while longer yet.

Zach-I don't know what your problem is keeping the seedlings alive. I too have some troubles where it starts out like I'm going to have a good crop of something and then as time goes by, they kind of whither away. Virginia Bluebells are like that.

Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, are you saying your cardinalis seeds took 2 years to germinate?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Dandy, it’s Prunus serotina. Zach, yay for your milkweeds! I accidentally dug out a 6 inch piece of common milkweed root last week and stuck it in a pot. Looks like something is coming up, will see if this works. Your little trees are also looking great.

ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

We’re getting ready for 17 degrees and another round of snow. Only about 6-8 more weeks of winter weather. Even my 9 year old said today “I’m tired of it snowing.” I feel ya buddy.

Cowpen daisy isn’t “pedestrian” to me. I think they are great. I can’t believe they are blooming for you. Here they are a late summer flower, blooming in July and August.

I don’t know what my problem is either, Dandy. But it sure is frustrating.

javiwa

Our winter was pretty much non-existent this year (sorry to rub it in!), and I started these seeds indoors in January with germination by mid-month. I got them into the ground a month later, and we've had extraordinarily warm/hot weather this past six weeks. I'm sure that helped accelerate everything, but it's possible these will poop out early. Maybe they'll reseed for me to get a second batch for the fall.

Here's my mini grove -- the tallest plant is approaching 3'.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice Javi, I can see that filling up quickly.

I did a walk around yesterday, the deer trashed my fishing line fence. I went around and sprayed everything I planted years past with deer repellent. It looks like squirrels or something ate the tips off some tree seedlings I planted last year inside the fenced part of my yard. My ninebarks were bareroots when I planted them in 2016, tiny seedling size, comically small. Now they're all at least 5ft and the biggest one over 6ft. All my Viburnums, ninebarks, and bottlebrush buckeyes are leafing out, and the sweet birch and dogwoods are budding. Violets are flowering. Got a Mitella diphylla seed sprout and some mountain laurel and Baptisia tinctoria seedlings sprouting too.

My cardinalis always lag until it gets really hot and only then do they put on enough growth to get into the ground before frost. Last year they never made out of the pot. Seedlings were in the millimeter size by year end so I just left them outside. It's amazing how the green growth never froze off.

Zach-your snow is over here. Probably a bunch of sleet with maybe an inch of snow. Winter storm warning issued until tomorrow afternoon.

Ok on the Prunus serotina Iris. I have lots of that now, but there was only one small tree here when I moved in nine years ago. I will be treating it like its even more prolific cousin, P virginiana. Off with their heads!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, so your cardinalis plants never bloom until the second year? They never overwinter for me, or they make it to spring and then rot and wither. I don't have any spots that stay consistently moist. I started growing Silene regia because it has red, tubular flowers also, and it does better in dry ground, and I think all the rain last year killed them. My Silene stellata germinated. Still no regia and virginica.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I have 5 Silene virginica in the ground from last year that are still alive, waiting to see if they'll flower. High % germinated from seed, these ones were tough enough to survive the crappy nutrient and water deficient 511 soil in my trays last year, where almost everything else wouldn't grow.

Unrelated:

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, are the violets taking over your world, too? I was hoping to see my mystery milkweed bloom this year, but I guess it will be eaten first. It must be one spreading by runners though. I have little sprigs coming up all over the place.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I would be happy if the violets could take over and stop all the annual weeds.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Another sign its spring in the yard

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

How pretty! Did you plant it? Probably not something that would just show up. At least not in my yard. My latifolia is coming back.

This little bee was just the cutest thing. Reason I leave some soil bare without covering with mulch.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Spring beauties come up in the lawns around here. I've moved some of them to the garden. I planted some roots and tubers, ginseng, serpentaria and trilliums. The blood roots and Dutch man's britches have flower buds.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The spring beauties are actually volunteers or remnants. I uncovered these ones last year while pulling multiflora rose and honeysuckle. They are edible and Im surprised the rodents dont dig them up. They are surrounded by garlic mustard, hopefully I'll get a chance to weed over there tomorrow. I do want to collect some seeds to propagate. Little plants like this are what makes me hesitate to spray or sheet mulch everything.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Great find! My sister in law (they are living across the street) came down with her wheelbarrow and shovel yesterday. Dug up swamp sunflower, ashy sunflower, mountain mints, green headed coneflowers, Penstemon, Frostweed, wild bergamot, and mistflower. Also some volunteer Monarda punktata and purple top vervain. About 7 wheelbarrows full so far, and she will be back. I don’t even see that she put a dent in it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You should get more wildlife, and pollinators now with all the extra flowers. I dug out the non native alliums, and planted the roots in that same area. I wish I could grow hoary pucoon, but no seeds are plants are available. Seeds for hairy pucoon available. I can grow hairy, but not hoary. Not in much of a hurry to grow hairy, unless I can't source hoary. I really like Canada Mayflower too. Hydrophyllum canadense is nice too.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Thats awesome that you have so much to share and your sister in law is willing to plant them. Does she have areas of plants shes replacing, or is she making all new beds?

I got a whole bunch of supplies today to fix up the water management situation on one side of my house. I need to install a gutter on the roof, and a drain pipe for the sump pump. Currently the sump pump is draining out into a black pipe on the ground. I got solid 4" pipe which I'm going to bury and it will drain to daylight 30ft away. Im going to put in a little catch pan for my AC condensate drain line, and route that to the same sump pump drain, so there will be a constant trickle of water when the AC is running in the summer. I'm going to plant some rain garden type plants over at the end of the drain. If my seeds germinate that will be cardinal flower, mistflower, swamp milkweed, bunch flower, and sneezeweed. Maybe I can grow some blue vervain too.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I didn't have any mistflower seeds to sow. I read in the flora book that it was introduced to my area from further south. Hopefully the Elephantopus plants will fill out more. I have sump pump issues too, and gutter issues.🥺😦

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Please, please, please do not mention sump pumps! With my husband being around more than usual he has been digging in drainage pipes from the downpours (As in making trenches though my flower beds!) And he has been digging under the house for a sump pump. Making everything more complicated than it has to be I am sure.

Save    
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Life is returning to the woods, nice. It was nice today, the dutchmans breeches, dicentra eximia, Aquilegia canadensis are back up. A geranium seedling that got eaten to down to the soil by something in september survived the winter and came back, the zigzag goldenrod, and roadside agrimony are growing back too. A bunch of superbum lillies are growing. One Campanulastrum americanum seed sprouted too.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, are your parks still open to visit? My early meadow rue

More butterflies are showing up.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It sure would be nice if my meadow rue bloomed. The park that I visited today was open. There are still a lot of spring plants that haven't shown yet. I was able to pull a few bush honeysuckles out and I seriously messed up a couple bigger ones. The garlic mustard isn't up yet. The 2nd INPS meeting has been cancelled. Instead, we can watch a video that goes pretty deep into explaining how to grow native hemiparasitic plants like pedicilaris and castilleja. I need to find out if Illinois has any current efforts going on to reintroduce the buffalo clover, and running buffalo clover. I can get seeds, but only for use in that kind of situation.

Probably most people would overlook this as just another clover. People nearly completely stomped it out, along with the buffalo that it nourished. Maybe a new day is dawning on it, if there are enough people who care.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I wanted to go to Lockport prairie. They were doing a burn.

I didn't go down by the guys. Might have been someone I know.

From there to Messenger Woods where there are hundreds of thousands of Blue Eyed Mary's, Collinsia verna. And it was closed.

I guess I could take a short walk, not too far, in case they try to tow away my car lol.

There were native bees buzzing with excitement over these beautiful bloodroot flowers. So great to see!

Spring beauties and cut toothworts.

A very red log.

A microcosm on a log.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I pulled out all the garlic mustard I saw. It's growing with native toothwort a lot.

I don'th see blue anywhere. Maybe it's too early for them to bloom, or maybe they are growing in another area, out of my sight. I didn't recognize any plants with foliage like Collinsia.

These seedlings are coming up in the millions. Maybe they are blue eyed Marys?

A low spot in the woods.

More Sanguinaria canadensis.

The deer path.

I going to cut a path straight to the train tracks with my machetes. (and flying ninja stars)

A mysterious wildflower.

These bloodroots are just getting ready to bloom.

I top dressed where I planted ginseng and snakeroot. It will take a long time to get soil anywhere near natural woodland soil.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)
Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I always liked plantain leaf sedge, but its not really found around here. I took a walk in the park today too, the woods are in the same phase, lots of little green stuff but no flowers going off yet, except for one spice bush, and some showy red leaf buds on a shrub I couldnt ID.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thank you for the great tour, Jay! Is that sicklepot coming up with your mysterious wildflower? Saw the cutest little moth today. Seems host plant for it are grape and clematis. I have that :)

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a cool moth! What's the name of it? There wouldn't be sicklepods outside. My plants never bloomed or set seed. It's hard to evaluate how it does here. The Blue Eyed Mary's are blooming in Ohio. They should be blooming here too then. Still a lot of wildflowers to show up.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Oh, ok. They look like my seedlings. The moth is a Mournful Thyris Moth. First time I have seen one in my yard.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That moth is found up here too.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I got out to a new park today, this one is close by, about 4 miles west of my house. 2 mile trail loop through a narrow strip of old growth woods with a stream through it, then back through managed meadows. There were some massive oak, blackgum, and beech trees in there. I passed a couple nice groves of blackhaw viburnum and spicebush. Lots of spotted wintergreen and partidgeberry. There were a lot of these little plants with just a single cup shaped leaf emerging from the soil, does that sound familiar? I didnt have my camera.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You don't have a camera on your phone? I've been thinking about using a camera, after seeing a lot of great crisp close ups of plants and animals. That sounds like a really nice park. We had our 1st thunderstorm last night. It poured hard. I hope my 72 cell trays aren't messed up. I don't know what the one leaved plant you saw could be. Maybe twinflower, Jeffersonia diphylla. I sowed 10 seeds of those but they need double dormancy. There are supposed to be a few plants at the woods, but it's blocked off, so I can't get in there. I like the spotted wintergreen, but I don't have an acidic soil to grow them.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I use the camera on my phone but I left my phone in my car. I had my daughter with me, its hard to remember everything when you are wrangling a 2 year old. It was a 2 mile trail, she walked some of it but I mostly carried her. Lots of stops to play with rocks, leaves, sticks, sand, pine cones, acorns, and whatever else she could find or imagine. The governor just announced all state and county parks are now closed. Well that sucks, I guess I wont be going back there until summer. I saw 4 other people there, all hundreds of feet away from each other, but some people in this state are still flocking to parks in big groups. There was a sheriff at the park I went to yesterday blocking off the picnic areas.

My Mistflower and narrow leaf mountain mint are germinating now, YEAH

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's the 1st beautiful day of spring. Hopefully more seedlings will start appearing. Some type if gaillardia is germinating. It looks like 2 or 3 Gaillardia aristata made it through the winter. I'm trying to find hardier plants to be winter hardy here. All the cheap hybrids they sell as perennials , they never overwinter.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/pycnanthemum-pycnanthemoides/

A couple friends in Ohio are working with the endangered Trifolium reflexum and T. stoloniferum . The one guy is on s mission to make people aware of our useful native buckthorns, and how to tell the difference between the natives and non native invasive buckthorns. There is white flowering biffalo clover, anc also a red flowered variant.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, yay for things sprouting already. So glad I have a yard to keep me busy. More than actually. Jay, that’s some beautiful clover. Are the ones in the pots yours? The first of the monarch eggs hatched. Most milkweeds are still very small, but the common one is coming back in full force. So if need be, that’s what they will have to eat.

wooly pipe vine is blooming

found the cutest little baby turtle by my walkway

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

No, I don't have any buffalo clover unfortunately. Not yet anyway. I love turtles. The red flowered clover is gorgeous.

Save    
beetle_doc

Bloodroot is finally blooming. Got two large clumps. Unfortunately, the flowers don’t last long.

Was out in the woods today and found a number of squill. That is unfortunate as the woodland I was is in pretty good shape. There are areas with bush honeysuckle but the wild flowers are abundant. Will have to check later for garlic mustard which is a problem for most woods around here.

Squill?

Squill?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

beetle_doc Yes they are squill. I made the unfortunate mistake of planting a few bulbs years ago, and they have multiplied exponentially since then. They are confined to the yard and haven't escaped. I've never seen any in the woods.
I've seen garlic mustard already.

So, I decided to sneak into the rookery. There were 2 others cars with people who also snuck in.

The smaller lake. It looks like Phragmites might be taking over.

This whole area was as disturbed when they had the wee quarry here. There are no original native plants in the 'woods'.

I went down a steep hill and used these 2 invasive bush honeysuckles to climb back out. As a reward, I ripped them out by their nasty roots. No good doing invasive bush honeysuckle [or buckthorn] should go unpunished!

Can someone ID this tree. It has seeds round, dangling haha.

The seed balls disintegrate when you pick them. Seems like lots of little seeds. They are sharp. Twice I thought
I had ticks, but it was those darn seeds hehe.

Now, the bark is interesting, and beautiful. I have seeds too? Exfoliating bark.

This us the famous train tracks. I could jump the train by my house, and ride it to the rookery. Maybe trains were easier to ride for hobos back in the old days?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s not sycamore, is it?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yeah, it is. My mind went blank when I saw it. They get too big.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It could be a london plane tree which looks similar and is often planted in parking lots and polluted urban hell strip type areas.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'll wait until the trees get leaves, and then I'll try to ID them. I'm not used to seeing young sycamores. People around here don't plant them, and the few in town that I see are very old.

Save    
javiwa

The mountain mints gifted by Iris last year continue to leaf out. The narrow leaf looks like it's ready to reward my patience with first buds:

While the broad leaf MM is getting large and lush, the newest leaves seem awfully chlorotic -- not sure what to do (suggestions?). It's in a full sun bed and has been receiving plenty of water (not too much, I don't think, as we haven't had much rain).

This is my first year with larkspur (Consolida ajacis), and it appears I'll see some blooms despite our 90-degree temps.

I continue to struggle with some manner of army worm, cutworm (whatever) just devouring my CA Giant zinnias. It's very frustrating to wake up every morning to see more of these droppings and fewer of my leaves. And today, they're starting in on the actual petals. Really not sure what to do other than hope the anoles start to do their jobs! :)

I've tried flipping over leaves, but cannot spend too much time doing so as the mosquitoes have been awful. I just cannot seem to find their hiding places.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You would think the ankles would take care of the army worms. Your milkweed doesn't even look like milkweed. I thought it looked like monarda. I planted a milkjug with hb and another with tropical. I dropped the hb container and scooped all the dirt back in it. I'm having excellent germination from that container, but no tropicals showing. I poked around and see no signs of the seeds? Is it possible I never sowed those seeds? I'm going to have to start again. Those darn basketflower seeds are taking forever to sprout. I might th try boiling water on a new batch. Your Pycnanthemum tenuifolia looks great! Those larkspur spread like crazy by seed up here. They kind of like the cooler weather. It will be interesting to see how well yours do. What's the current status of your Ipomopsis rubra? 2 humistrata seedlings have died. One looks great, the other iffy. I have 3 cordifolia seedlings that are still alive. They look and grow like a vine. The asperula seems to like to grow sideways. I'm really hoping this year someone will finally have mercy and bless me with some amplexicaulis seeds. The 2 quadrifolia are looking great.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That damn autocorrect changed anoles to ankles. 😬

It's going to reach 74 today with rain late, and then 40s and 50s for 2 weeks. I want to trim my rue, but just a little. I want it to be noticeable to swallowtails. I hope my Ptelea saplings return. My Oenothera fruticosa plants are forming a nice colony. I wonder how agressive the Zanthoxylum americanum really is? Would like to have a giant swallowtail sanctuary. Still no signs of some bulbs/tubers I planted last year. Lilium superbug, Trillium midvale, Trillium grandiflorum, goldenseal, Podophyllum. I've seen some pictures lately of huge old trilliums. Amazingly beautiful! Stay safe everybody, and stay at home!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Plants look good Javi, the mountain mint looks like a pH problem or deficiency but I'm not sure, maybe just a temporary thing. I haven't had to deal with cutworms hopefully something shows up to eat them for you.

My superbum lilys are growing now, and I ordered an Oenothera fruticosa on monday. It was hard to find a straight species in NJ, just 'lemon drop' and 'fireworks' available nearby. Bowmans Hill and a couple native plant sales sell it occasionally but they're closed or cancelled. I found a nursery in western NJ who had the straight species. I got an Oenothera biennis, Spiranthes cernua odorata, and Veratrum viride too. Im unsure about where they got their plants from originally so I'll be looking closely to see if the sundrops are the 'glauca' variety or ssp fruiticosa.

Save    
javiwa

Jay: Hmmm...I didn't have a shot of milkweed up there -- that chlorotic mess is my broad leaf mountain mint (Pycnanthemum albescens).

Ipomopsis rubra report: Germination time took ~ 4 weeks, but I've got 1-1/2 plants! :) The sprout on the right actually surfaced first, but it's stuck. There are quite a few seeds in there, so I'm hoping a few more will sprout -- as it is, I may not see blooms until 2021.

My patch of Greggii mistflower is still waging battle against the green aphids that are nesting in and shriveling the newest growth -- I'm hoping the flower buds are unaffected by all of this, and I'll still get blooms any day now. I can just tell they're ready to pop -- and this poor Monarch seems to be nectaring, so does he/she know something I don't?

Meanwhile, I held aside one mistflower plant in a pot, for lack of anywhere to plant it. Aphids haven't found this one yet, and blooms are imminent.

javiwa

Thanks so much, Skip! I just tested the soil pH and, sure enough, it's acidic (~ 5). This plant presumably needs a neutral 7. I'll sprinkle in a bit of ag lime to adjust.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I misread something, and thought the mountain mint was broad leaf milkweed, which is latifolia? Skip, do the orchids need moist soil?

They are taking the pollination and propagation of buffalo clover very seriously. Notice all the bee hives.

1 Like Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay from what I read they need moist soil but not boggy. I think I can make it work.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Javi, your plants are looking great. For the most part at least. I have no idea what the ph of the soil in my yard is, but my blueberries are doing really well. And they do like acidic, don’t they? My mints are not this light green color though. There are hundreds of evening primrose seedlings coming up all over the place. Not sure about my milkweed situation. She was flying around again laying eggs. I don’t thing there is a single stalk that doesn’t have either eggs or tiny caterpillars. Even the whorled one. And that stuff is really not much food.

Not even in the ground yet

and even on flower buds

Have to add a picture of my Monarda since it’s looking really cool. Or so I think.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, are any Monarda citriodora coming back from seeds? I planted 5 Aralia racemosa and now it's raining again. The Dicentra cucularia and Sanguinaria canadensis were beautiful today and a white Erythroniym was blooming. All these ephemerals use ants to plant their seeds. I thought I was growing Hydrophyllum virginianum, but a lot of them are really Hydrophyllum canadense.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

My main plants from last year never died and are looking great. I didn’t see any volunteers, but started some more from seeds. I do have a bunch of punktata volunteers though.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Phlox starting up

The little inkberry shrubs are failing to thrive after 2-3 years, might try something else.

Save    
javiwa

Phlox starting up -- wow..is it EVER! Gorgeous, Skip.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip your phlox is looking great! Is there something else tucked in that will bloom later on? Had some strong winds last night. Broke a huge branch of a maple and smaller ones all over the place. Lots of leaf rolling going on at the oaks. Jay, here is my citriodora from last year. Definetly didn’t behave like an annual this time around.

1 Like Save    
javiwa

Wow, Iris - how wide is that citriodora grove? My seedlings are still so tiny, I can't imagine them ever getting that massive.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Iris there's all kind of stuff in there, its a big mish mash, survival of the fittest type thing going on.

Has anyone else seen crazy shipping prices for plants? 2 plants shipped from north jersey: $19. Thats more than the plants. I guess I would end up paying that much in time and stuff to go pick them up, but man, it seems high. Same rates for 2 other nurseries in NJ.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Plant delights charges outrageous shipping charges. I had some hollies years ago that grew so slow that I had to get rid if them. I think winter berries grow faster. The creeping phlox is nice. I might 'free' a piece from my dad's front yard. I saw a bed using Callirhoe in setting like that. It was 80 and beautiful Tuesday and Wednesday. Today it was cold and windy, and it just snowed. Colorado isn't the only place with crazy weather. I hope that some Monarda citriodora and Agastache volunteer.

The milkweeds.

Ellisia nyctelea, aunt Lucy. An annual in the waterleaf subfamily. This native has always been here.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, what species are the leaf rollers in your oak trees?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I have no idea. No idea what all the different caterpillars on my fence today were either. Guess they were blown off the trees last night. The oak is the closest, so that’s were I put them.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Interesting caterpillars, the birds must love your yard.

I found a botanical garden in Philadelphia that does plant sales. They have a nursery tour on May 2nd, if I can get my permission slip signed (lol) and projects done hopefully I can go. I'll have to wear mask and gloves. They had Trillium cernuum at a sale in the past.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

More plants are showing up. The mayapples in the area by the oak. Also, I finally see some Lilium superbum after a few failed tries. The Scrophularia and Perilla are germinating. They were a no-show last year. I think a Stenanthium gramineum is emerging. Might go see what's up at the woods. I saw my 1st butterfly today. A cabbage white, but it was beautiful.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, you think that sale is still going to happen? Feeling sorry for the plant societies that rely on these plant sales. Jay, yay for butterflies starting up. There have been very few cabbage whites here in recent years. Maybe they will find my broccoli this time around. Looks like my Amorpha is going to bloom this year. Can’t wait!

speaking of birds, there are a crazy number of goldfinches around. Sounds like a pet shop outside.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Its thrilling to see plants growing back. I see jack in the pulpit coming up. Also in the trays I see lots of Liatris spicata germinating, as well as one Anemone virginiana. Theres a seedling I planted in the fall thats coming back too but I cant tell what it is.

I dont know if the plant sale will happen, it should be just after the lockdown ends, but CV might still be bad in Philadelphia by that time. They posted something about figuring out curbside pickup so that is another possibility. Which Amorpha is that?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s the Fruticosa. Hopefully I will get the nitens I ordered sometime in May. Hope you will get the plants you want, even if it’s curbside pickup. It is really fun to see plants coming back, especially if you forgot they were even there :) There were a lot of little ones I planted last year. Never did much and certainly didn’t bloom, so I forgot about some of them.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Dang, it froze last night. Guess I will see if there is damage. There probably is, at least with my little annuals. It was in the mid 80’s three days ago!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's going to below freezing here for 4 nights in a row starting Monday.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Happy Birthday Skip.

(Dan Wall)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Thanks Jay! What are those plants?

Save    
javiwa

Oh, nice -- happy birthday from TX!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, I think those plants are Maianthemum canadense, and Potentilla simplex.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday, Skip! Hope you had a wonderful day involving cake and new plants.

Lost a few annual seedlings and the new growth on some perennials. Mostly in the open areas. Let’s hope the severe storms for tomorrow night are not going to be too bad. Tulip trees are blooming.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Cirsium altissimum I hope. And Siberian squill.( huge mistake).

Blue cohosh. If anyone can ID plant in top left corner wins a plant. I'm wondering if it's Packera?

Geranium maculatum, Ssnguinaria canadensis.

Sanguinaria canadensis.

Dicentra cucullaria.

Dicentra cucullaria.

quadrifolia

Gomphocarpus physocarpus

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Texas natives. Lygodesmia, skeleton plant.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just found out there are likely 2 more different Asarum species in our areas, that have been hiding within Asarum canadense. If you want to know more you can read this post.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1846934118776469&id=100003796964585

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice progress pictures Jay. Those mystery plants dont look like Packera aurea or obovata to me.

Thanks for the birthday wishes all. My plant order earlier this week was for my birthday, the Oenotheras, Spiranthes and Veratrum. I installed the gutter on my house yesterday, not only to protect the house foundation but also to feed my rain barrel plans later. Out in the yard my Aquilegia canadensis has grown to a much larger size compared to last year and produced a new seedling plant, and I found a new lupine seedling. At least some of the Asarum canadense are coming back now too. I'll transplant those to a better spot.

Happy easter!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I went to the park. I've seen Caltha palustris from the car before, but this was my 1st time getting close to it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Happy Easter! Jay, looks like you had a nice day! It started raining here at 11. Our weather people are really concerned

It warmed up from 50 to 65 in the past two hours. Feels really weird out there.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I hope you are ok Iris. It sounds like SC was spared from the worst of the storms. It's only 37 here now, and it will be in the 40s all week.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

House is still standing. Wanted to get groceries. Lots of branches on the road. Traffic lights are out and no power at Walmart or Publix. So I will have to try again later. It was a long night though with all the warnings.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Just walked the dogs in the neighborhood. Next door neighbor has two big Bradford pears down. The neighbors across the street don’t have power.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Nice but windy day today. Hop trees are getting flower buds.

The white leaf mountain mint is putting the real meaning on it when talking about square stems.

Monarda looking good

Save    
javiwa

Wow, Iris, when your weather turns away from winter, your plants really kick into gear! Beautiful...

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice Iris, I forget when Monarda flowers for me, June or July? I took a picture of my Antennaria plantaginifolia which is spreading nicely and starting to flower but it didnt come out great, need to take it closer.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

My neighbor had a tree and some huge branches come down in the storm yesterday, maybe a blue spruce or douglas fir, I dont know which, some sickly looking landscape conifer that doesnt naturally grow here and was about 50ft tall. I noticed their tree service coming in and asked them to dump the chips for me, score! Looks like it wont be some crazy 20cu ft truck load either which is nice. I just need a little to prep the ground for my serviceberry order from Reeseville Ridge, cardboard + wood chips will be perfect.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice score Skip. Your pussytoes are way ahead of mine. I noticed a few more seeds germinating. The Thermopsis plants are coming back. It's great to have those again. There was a dead robin on the street, and it's grieving mate wouldn't leave it's side. I got out of the car and tossed the dead bird off the street. I was able to pick up it's mate who was in shock. The bird flew off. Amazing how animals can feel sadness like we do.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, non of my other kinds of bee balm look like they are going to bloom soon. I just planted the Bradburiana last year, so I don’t know if they are usually this early. Yay for free wood chips!

Jay, this sounds really sad!

Did any of you grow nodding onions from seed? I was weeding around mine, and there are a lot of seedlings that look a lot like wild onions. But these seem to be done for now. I can’t really find images of seedlings. Mine look like this

Started moving some of the Monarchs. This is after moving 15 or so.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I haven't growing Allium cernuum from seed, but the A. stellatum that I started from seed last year has returned. I frost seeded more into that bed. Are you sure they are wild onions and not chives?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am hoping the ones in the picture would be nodding onion seedlings. The wild onions (well that’s what everybody here calls them) are more of a winter weed. Did it freeze in your area again? Are all your seedlings alright?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Did you plant nodding onion seeds? I'm going to rescue some that are being smothered by honeysuckles. It snowed for a few minutes today. All these early seedlings are handling the freezing temps fine. They are all cold hardy. This warming and cooling is good for the germination of some of these species. Things look more hopeful compared with last spring.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, these are all looking great! My nodding onion went to seed last year, so I am hoping these are volunteers. If they are, there are a lot. My Apios is coming back strong. I was a bit concerned about it last Fall.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Plants looking good Jay. Glad your Apios came back Iris, I'll be looking for mine.

My 1 Thermopsis seedling came back and is looking awesome. The Sisyrinchium and Zizia are looking strong too.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

First spicebush sprouts of the year

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)
Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay for Spicebush sprouts. I think two of mine have finally established themselves after 4 years and are growing nicely this time around. They really didn’t do much from being the little sticks I planted them as. The green headed coneflowers are going a bit crazy. I might need to look closer and see if there is something that will need rescuing in that area.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The deer ate the few coneflowers that I planted, so I scattered hundreds more seeds in that area. We are getting 3" snow on Friday.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

More snow? I thought you were done with that. They say spotty frost for tonight here. Not too happy about that. Of course the apple farmers are really worried.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's normal to have a couple days of 80s and then a blizzard.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just ordered more plants from Morning Sky Greenery.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have never heard of them. What more could you possibly need?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Everything that I still don't have! Adiantum pendatum, Trillium grandiflorum, Geum triflorum, Uvularia sessilifolia, Moehringia lateriflora, creeping dogbane, Aralia nudicaulis, Mitella diphylla, Cirsium flodmanii. Yes, I need all of them for my pollinator gardens. They were out Viola pubescens and Camassia scilloides. The orchid was tempting, but I'm not ready for orchids yet. Cirsium pumilum and Cirsium pumilum var. hillii are nice native thistles but they aren't available anywhere. I would have gotten some of these at the native plant sales, had they not been cancelled.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I have been talking myself in and out of ordering more plants all week haha. I keep reminding myself of all the plants I already have, all the plants I have coming, and all the plants that might still grow from the seeds I planted. I still want a witchhazel, sweetfern, a silky dogwood (after seeing it could grow on an upland site and in shade, and flowers all year), stiff aster, and downy goldenrod. I keep myself from ordering by placing restrictions on myself- the plant must be from NJ, east PA, or the midatlantic, and I am unwilling to pay $20 for shipping, and the shrubs must be seed grown. Now, all that said Im still probably gonna call the nursery 1 town over to see if they grow their trees from seed and if they have those 3 in stock.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I ordered 2 sweetferns too, last week.

Save    

Sounds like Chicago and the Front Range have a lot in common weather-wise. It was 75 on Saturday, 32 with snow on Sunday and Monday (down to 15 both nights. Temperatures struggled Tuesday and Wednesday, but it was sunny enough to feel warm and melt all the snow. Today we’re sitting at 28 with more snow. Supposed to be 50 and sunny tomorrow.

Some native plants are popping in the prairie, but by and large I think there are fewer “spring ephemerals” than in the foothills and mountains. Makes sense, there aren’t any trees they have to compete with for light so they can stay asleep through our miserable spring weather and wait for the more consistent warm sunny days. But I saw some early Apiaceae plants tucked between the still dormant buffalo grass, and a very small patch of Viola nuttallii on the south side of a protective yucca. But other than that we’re still basking in all the glory of endless shades of beige out here on the shortgrass.

Bird migration is picking up though. I mostly follow shorebirds, and I’ve seen greater and lesser yellowlegs, avocets, a errant snowy plover, and Franklins gulls in the past week. But there’s also grackles that have shown back up, the northern shrikes have departed and a loggerhead has taken their place, American pipits, burrowing owls, and many others made one of my bird lists this week as well. Spring IS here, but the weather is slow to respond...

We live just a short drive from the Pawnee Nat'l Grassland, we were up there on Saturday to look for mountain plovers (poorly named, they live just about as far from the mountains as you can get and still be in the state of Colorado). No plovers, but these are the Apiaceae I found:
Cymopterus acaulis/glomeratus, plains springparsley

Cymopterus montanus, mountain springparsley (like mountain plovers, this one is really poorly named, though, maybe it also grows in the high country, I don't know)

Welcome to "Colorful" Colorado

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I like the way the land and the sky look in Colorado. I'm enjoying looking at pics of the dry-adapted plants out there, different.

I started putting down cardboard and woodchips for the incoming serviceberries.

I would like to encircle the trees in wildflowers and fallen leaves, then have mowed paths around the wood chip bed, which I will expand a little more, and hopefully that woodchip area develops into a running serviceberry thicket. The midday and afternoon sun comes right between those tree trunks.

Wood poppy starting

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice pictures guys. I love those native parsleys, unfortunately that whole Cymopterus genus is western. I miss wide open spaces like that. I could handle living out there in partial seclusion. I'd make it work.

Skip, if you are going to mow paths around the woodchips area, does that mean there are going to be a lot more plants over there. It will be interesting to watch the progress of the running serviceberries.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah Jay, I'll just keep weeding and planting until it looks more like what I want. Gonna plant figwort, slender mountain mint, bellflower, woodland sunflower and more if I can get them to germinate.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice combination!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Zach, the picture of “colorful” Colorado is beautiful. Would love to visit, but would be ready to go back to my “green” after two weeks. Skip, looks like you are getting a lot done out there. I transplanted my Virgins Bower seedlings into individual pots.

staring into the pots with my ipomoea seeds every day. Not seeing anything. My last try. Hope one will still come up. Weeding around the flower bed in the front yard, there are lots of different seedlings coming up right at the edge in the lawn. Since there is no border yet, I am just going to expand by like 10 inches all around to include them.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Is that an Amsonia? I got so excited about my little mulch patch but it is just a tiny step. I still have a lot of woodchips to spread and then I'm going to do something I've never done anywhere on the property and shovel edge a bunch of areas. I was thinking about converting my whole front side yard to a garden but Im reconsidering now, keeping more of the project in the back this year. One area at a time.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It is! In it’s third year, it is looking very sturdy this Spring. Despite having some frozen edges. If I scoot over the mulch, my husband probably won’t even notice the bed is expanding a bit. The problem is that my border plants are moving more and more to be middle ones and should be moved eventually. The wild petunias are popping up all over the place anyways, maybe I will just move the little ones to the edges. Starting a new flower bed, like your whole front side yard, is really not the big problem. Plus it’s really exiting to start a new area from scratch. It’s just the keeping up with all of it.

Save    

Skip, it's interesting to compare the plants that grow down here at 4500 ft to the ones up on the alpine tundra at 12-14,000 ft. They are incredibly similar in habit. They dwarfed, mat forming or prostrate, adapted to high winds and late freezes, though I'm pretty sure moisture is more abundant at the higher elevations.

While I often laugh at our state welcome signs and sometimes lament our lack of color,I actually do love the landscape here. I love the wide open spaces, endless sky, I even like the wind (I get "weirded out" when I'm somewhere where there isn't a lot of wind). I hate fact it wet, snowy mudhole right now though haha. Looking at that you might start to understand why I feel claustrophobic when I'm surrounded by trees, yucca and rabbitbrush are about the tallest things that grow around these parts.

Everyone's plants are looking amazing! I woke up this morning to find that the ducklings had escaped the brooder box and nibbled the tops off of all my bareroot milkweeds :(.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The milkweeds should throw up new shoots. It snowed last night, and my containers were covered nicely. The seedlings were undamaged.

Trifolium stoloniferum, running buffalo clover

Trifolium reflexum, buffalo clover

One of these days, hopefully soon, I'll be growing these buffalo clovers. I'm thinking growing rarer violas from seed would be more practical and, with those it's best to have multiple plants.

Iris, I was surprised to see you growing clematis from seed. I hope my C. occidentalis seeds sprout. If they have good germination, there should be vines to share. I hope it starts warming up around here. I I still have many pandurata seeds. I can experiment with them.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Gillenia are showing new, red growth. The milkweeds are starting to get big.

Asclepias incarnata var pulchra

They are getting side branches. This looks like oenotheroides? I have to wait until they get bigger and easier to tell apart to perfectly ID them all. These new milkweed seedlings are already surpassing the growth of last years plants, after they grew all season. The result of bad weather and water retentive soul mix.

A tall,wooly type of A. speciosa

Asclepias arenaria, sand milkweed, a Colorado native

quadrifolia, arenaria, speciosa, viridflora, oenotheroides, fascicularis, purpurescens, ovalifolia, variegata, humistrata, cordifolia, asperula, subverticillata. And then there are all the winter sown seeds.😲

Still looking for amplexicaulis, lanuginosa, neadii, longifolia, obovata. Open to other species. A win/win for Monarchs.

1 Like Save    
javiwa

I believe that is oenotheroides, Jay -- looks very similar to mine from last summer.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's weird. A couple other onotheroides are growing sideways and also vigorously making branches, but some like this grow straight and tall. Another Colorado native I think. I love the flowers on them.

The quadrifolia is forming side branches. Wonder if it could possibly flower?

Save    
javiwa

After the seedling stage, A. oenotheroides does tend to have more horizontal, sprawling growth. These are two of mine that came back this spring, started from seed last summer:

And these were the gorgeous blooms off a 1-gal. plant I purchased last year, before the hungry hordes (consisting of only three Monarch cats) had their way with the entire plant.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, Jay. That’s a lot of milkweed you have. Probably need it all. They are really off to a running start here.

Javi, your plants are looking great!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Gillenia trifoliata is emerging

Antennaria plantaginifolia

I suspect this might be Collinsia verna, blue eyed Mary. I hope so ,and hope to get seeds, so I can grow large colonies. The Erigenia bulbosa continues to elude me, thanks to the parks being closed.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Anurag isn't exactly correct. Butterflies CAN pollinate some milkweeds. See the pollinia on the swallowtail's leg.

swallowtail on Asclepias lanceolata, few flowered milkweed.

butterflies do nectar on Polygala species. Florida Photos by Steve Coleman.

https://youtu.be/cJ874jdvINA

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Were those pics of the Gillenia, Antennaria and Collinsia at your house? I am bummed about the parks being closed, I had really wanted to see a few new places this week or next. The Polygala pauciflora and Trillium cernuum would be out now or next week I think. The Polygala lutea should be blooming later in the year I will have a good chance to see that, the parks should be open by then. We are having the last throws of cold weather here though, 33 degrees tonight and it froze yesterday. It was raining all day I didn't look at the plants much today, although I saw the Packera aurea is starting to bloom. Its much taller in flower than I expected, it looks like there will be a lot of seed to collect though. I wonder if I can get this to colonize other parts of the yard too.

Is the swallowtail putting its leg into the stigmatic slit like a bee would to pollinate the milkweed?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, those plants were at my house. Do you know where to find Polygala pauciflora? I'd love to grow that one. I ws'd the white flowered P. senega. The butterfly had to have put part of its leg in the slit. Not its foot tho. Anurag Awawal said in his book Monarchs and Milkweeds, that monarchs and other butterflies can't pollinate milkweeds. He said only bees and wasps have legs strong enough to pull out the pollinia. That might be true for most milkweed species, but this proves that there are exceptions. The succulent stapeliads have evolved to be pollinated by flies and gnats. I winter sowed Packera aurea. The Packera glabella that grows here is an annual. I don't see any signs of them yet.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I generally know where the polygala grows, a park about 20min away, dry roadsides on the east side of a lake. I dug out the Coreopsis by my steps and thinned the other clumps, dug out the purple coneflower that was a little too competitive with my NJ tea, and dug out some Tradescantia 2nd year seedlings that were in a bad spot. The echinacea is a substantial plant with big almost woody roots, I was surprised. I potted the three up to give to my sister at least, she planted a corner of her yard with tulips, daffodils, grape hyacinths, and dwarf hydrangeas. I'll provide some wildness over there for her.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm wondering if Viburnums leaf out first,v and then form flowerbeds? The Aronia has both leaves and flowers forming. Wish I could get into the parks.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

My viburnums leaf out first, the flowers show up late in spring.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, Jay lots of plants coming up at your place! Not native, but it’s definetly Iris season here

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I hope the 3 V. Dentatum that I moved will bloom. They didn't get enough sun to bloom , when they were on the east side of the house, shaded by trees.

I've been seeing a lot of Iris lately🤣

Flying ninja star milkweed.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Eryngium yuccifolium

Euonymus obovata

Ranunculus abortivus?

Dicentra cucullaria, Ceanothus americanos, Callirhoe bushido, Zizia aurea

humble featuring red European clover.

I still don't know what this plant is.

Cauliphyllum thalictroides, blue cohosh.

Cirsium discolor?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Any of you have experience with weird galls on oaks? At least that’s what I think this is.

Meanwhile found on my spicebush

This must be a little hickory. Think I am more successful with growing trees from seeds than perennials

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dicentra cucullaria, Cardamine concatenata, Aquilegia canadensis, Galium aparine, Scilla siberica

Dicentra cucullaria, Sanguinaria canadensis, Aquilegia canadensis

Erythronium albidum?

Erythonium albidum? or americanum?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I have no idea about the galls, Iris. I wouldn't even know where to start looking, either a book about insects and galls, or maybe a book about plant diseases even though its not really a disease.

Jay, thats your garden? You dont remember planting that Erythronium or is it a volunteer? Cutleaf toothwort is a nice one.

I applied a 1/4 strength fertilizer and full strength biofungicide to all my pots, half my trays, and the wintersow jugs with milkweed seeds. I'll get to the rest of the trays later, the 2 gallon tank sprayer works nice for watering the little seedlings and individual cells.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I've had the rattlesnake master so long, I don't even remember how long. They self sow. I want to start incorporating them into mixed plantings with prairie plants of similar height. They do well in black soil too. I planted the Erythronium many years ago when they were just single leaves. They have been single leaves ever since, until this year. I was very amazed to see they had blooms. I've had problems with trying to start some other native lilies. The Trillium nivale and grandiflorum rhizomes I bought last year never grew. And a batch of L. superbum never grew either. These trout lilies make up for it. I still just see growth on only 1 spicebush. I hope the others are alive. I got the bad bulbs and spicebush seedlings all from the same nursery. Everything looked fine when I got it. I saw this picture of a quadrifolia in Arkansas. I think there's a good chance my 2 plants might bloom this year. It will be great, when I'm finally able to put them outside. It's supposed to get up to 67 tomorrow. I'm going to try to get up early and sneak into Braidwood Dunes hehe. I need the nature to cleanse me of the asphalt, concrete jungle. Maybe it's too early to tell yet, but so far this year seems dryer than last year.

Asclepias quadrifolia. Photo by Eric Hunt.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I thought it seemed drier than normal. I checked the NOAA website and we're 2" below average. Its been really wet the last 2 years, just a matter of time before it swings back the other way. Btw, I found a NJ nursery with Potentilla canadensis, already ordered 3.

Packera aurea update:

This plant vanished without flowering two years ago and I thought it was completely dead.

javiwa

Over the past few years, it's been feast or famine with the rain: either we get a Harvey, or I'm dragging the hose every day for months on end (2019, and looking like 2020 will be a carbon copy).

But the butterfly, bee/wasp and hummingbird activity is leaps and bounds over what it was last spring, so I'll try my best to focus on the positive -- of which there are many!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Packera do weird things. The plant that was blooming in the front during fall never came back, and now there is a new one on the east side of the house. Those P. aurea do have tall flower stalks. I sowed seeds for aurea so I could have a more 'dependable species. Your's did come back. In a fit of madness I ordered seeds for Grindelia and Palafoxia. Both are cool aster plants and you all have that yellow aster that I don't have so there.....

Grindelia lanceolata

Palafoxia callosa, native to Missouri. close enough.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay for unexpected plants coming back. Jay, Texas is close enough for me in some cases :) Can’t say that it is drier than usual here. Just got another 1.4 inches Sunday into Monday morning. More rain tomorrow night and thunderstorms on Thursday. They might be severe again. Having Tornado threats on a weekly basis is not normal. Did get more plants today.

Attracted some happy critters right out of the box.

Aphids have arrived on my milkweed. Not the usual orange kind, but the ladybugs are on patrol anyways.

and finally, blueberry season is starting soon!

Save    
javiwa

How much fragrance does your mock orange have, Iris? I looked down to find my A. oenotheroides milkweed teeming with ladybugs, only four of which would hold still for a pic.

So, let's talk ladybugs, please. There are a few on my plant with no spots at all, and some have spots. I read recently about the Asian lady beetle and how to ID them. If we find lady beetles, are we to leave them alone? Or will they overtake the ladybug population?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I honestly leave them all alone. Seems there is plenty to go around for all of them. Once the wooly aphids start on the hackberries, I will need all the help I can get. The one with 7 spots was introduced from Europe, so it’s not really native either. I am still looking out to find the nine spotted one. There was a citizen science thing a few years ago. So far there is just the faintest fragrance to the mock oranges. Not sure if it will be stronger in the evening or if scentless really means just that.

1 Like Save    
beetle_doc

Jay, is Braidwood Dunes near Iroquois County Conservation Area? I used to go up there several times a year when I was at U of I to collect insects. One of my favorite places in Illinois.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Braidwood Dunes is about 45 miles northwest of Iroquois County Concervation Area. Braidwood Dunes is in southern Will County and Then there is Kankakee County and then Iroquois County. I haven't been to Iroquois Conservation Area yet. It's on my list of places to explore.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Happy eath day! Just pulled a wheel barrow load of garlic mustard in my yard. 1/3 done

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Your plants look beautiful Skip. I also pulled a lot of garlic mustard at the park today. The Dicentra eximia looks great.

Phlox divaricata, Ellisia nyctelea, Cardamine concatenata.

Anemonella thalictroides

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Happy Earth Day! Plants are looking really good, Skip! So you snuck into the park, Jay? Our Tornado threat for tomorrow’s storm has been upgraded to high again. This forecast feels like a copy from last week. Did I ask about this grass last year? It looks familiar, but I can’t find anything in my pictures or notes. There are so many similar looking blooms currently, I might just mix it up.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Any of you growing Carolina Elephant’s foot? I got two of them with my order yesterday and am wondering about the watering needs. Finding different information.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I planted a bunch of them in clay last year but I dont know yet if they made it. Interesting NOID plant, Iris. You need to take side profile pics of the flowers too. Maybe Sisyrinchium rosulatum

Jay what are the plants pictured?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, you nailed the Sisyrinchium species, wow! Of course, I went through them all and tosulatum was the last. Its petals are pointed unlike any other species of blue eyed grass. Iris, have any of your crotons started growing yet?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I drove out to Braidwood Dunes, but the entrance was gated and there was no place to park, except in front of the gate, and the sign said don't block the gate, so I parked on a service road at the edge of the preserve. There was a bog blocking my way, so I couldn't get into the preserve where all the diversity is.

the bog next to service road

Yellow violas, not sure which species

Service road. I went up further and saw trucks, then I had to drive backwards for awhile. Still not many plants out.

a lot of little lakes in Braidwood.

I'm thinking maybe a house once was here, and they grew daylilies. The house is long dissapeared, but the daylilies keep spreading.

Garlic mustard

maybe this is supposed to keep people from driving down the service road, but it doesn't scare me.😈🥺

I would have crossed if something interesting was in the other side. Braidwood Earth Day

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thank you so much, Skip. Wow. Something that is actually native here? Doesn’t happen often. Jay, looks like you had a nice day regardless of closed gates. There is something sprouting in the wooly croton pots. But I am not sure it is what it is supposed to be. I have been pulling a lot of evening primrose seedlings out of all of my winter sowing pots. How did they get there if I cut them all down before I started the winter sowing?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie

the prairie plants are just emerging. Not sure about ID's?

my favorite picture today

The tallgrass prairie, too bad no buffalo in the background. Buffalo clover coming soon. Trifolium reflexum and stoloniferum.

It's not going to be easy, looking for buffalo clover in the midst of all the non native clovers. I contacted plants of concern about whether they are working with buffalo clover. They said there is just 1 population that they monitor.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Last stop, Pilcher park. Pulled garlic mustard and honeysuckles. People think I'm looking for mushrooms. I am.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Pilcher Park 2

anybody know what this is? Not sure it's a fern. Maybe a non native corydalis?

need ID for white flowered plant that resembles Anemonella, but the petals on this are pointed.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Looks like you had a good excursion yesterday. Are those trilliums and others a few posts up from your yard? Theyre looking good.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

No, the trillium clusters were in the woods. I wish they were mine. Yours will look that way in 20 years.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My 2 agastache plants are coming back. I moved the leaves so any seeds can germinate.

Ribes odoratum. The R. cynosbati has flower buds.

https://www.greentecnursery.com/

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Cool nursery, they grow with root maker pots. The rootmaker containers are expensive, the inventor of them wrote a book on nursery production.

The Ribes look nice too. Is that stinging nettle next to it? You have to eat it before the stingers develop, supposed to be super nutritious.

I got my Veratrum, Spiranthes, and Oenotheras yesterday. Got my order placed with the other nursery for the Potentilla canadensis, Aster linariifolius, Comptonia peregrina, Spirea latifolia, and Asclepias purpurascens. I have a bunch of purpurascens seeds out but now I have a backup just in case.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip,What veratrum species? Some botanists were taking about veratrum and Stenanthium, I guess some veratrum are considered Stenanthium. You eat the nettle with the stingers. I think the new growth emerges with stingers. Crushing or cooking the leaves takes out the sting. People usually just harvest the upper couple inches of the stem. That's why you need a decent sized patch for harvesting. Did you get any mayapples coming up out of the things I sent way back? That's cool that you ordered purple milkweed. I need a couple more A. spinosa. I want to create a living fence between my yard, and the neighbor's. We got into it the other day because they kept stomping thru my big bed by the oak tree. Now that her little kids know they aren't supposed to walk thru there, they want to even more now. I spent a lot of time and money on that bed. She put up a little fence so the kids won't cross it. I want to order that Viola striata. I think you have a couple Trillium erectus. They look awesome when the clumps get older.

Trillium erectum, Pennsylvania, photo by Dan Wall.

Trillium erectum white flowered var, Pennsylvania, photo by Dan Wall.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Its Veratrum viride. I haven't decided where to put it, out in the weeds beyond the fence, or in the fence. Its super poisonous and I dont want my daughter messing with it. I was thinking it would be fine in the weeds as long as I keep the other vegetation around it clear. I actually dont have any trilliums. I have a couple mayapples and jack in the pulpit coming up. Something else is coming up, I think you sent some Maianthemum, do you remember which species? The Dicentra cucullaria is coming up but theyre real small.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I sent you a couple trilliums, hmm? I'm pretty sure it was Maianthemum stelatum, starry false Solomin's seal. I want to collect all the Maianthemum native here, like around 4 species, and I get them mixed up. I ordered Trillium grandiflora plants. I have no luck buying the tubers. They were forecasting rain for the past few days, but all it's done is lightly sprinkle. Tomorrow there's a 99% chance of rain. We now actually need it. More plants are coming, time to start digging beds.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I planted everything you sent. Unless they're doing the dormancy thing I dont have any trilliums coming up. It rained hard last night, nice opportunity to see where puddles form in the yard.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I would be careful and don't dump the soil the ephemerals were in until you sift through it, because I think sometimes trilliums stay dormant for a year. A few years ago I ordered some Trillium grandiflorum plants from Phil at Natural Communities, and he couldn't sell any that year because none of them emerged. Actually he could have still sold them to trusting people who don't mind waiting.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Theres no soil to dump, I planted all the roots and plants in the ground in the shade then covered with shredded leaves. They are in the ground back there.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's even better then. Just leave them. Do the area get enough sun for trilliums to grow? The need the sun early before the trees leaf out. I'm going to have to did and look for the Trillium nivale and grandiflorum rhizomes that I plant last spring.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

One of these days I am going to try some Trillium. Wish I could post videos here. Thought I would try to get a head count on the bats in our house. 21! Wow. No idea how they even fit in there.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I can't post any comment on name that plant. They have a thing that says best answer. Just who decides that?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I think the trilliums are in enough sun, I saw some random spring beauties growing right in the spot I planted everything.

Iris, are the bats in YOUR house or in a bat house?

The "best answer" thing they added is idiotic. They are trying so hard to make this into a Q&A format like Quora.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yeah, like why doesn't houzz fix all the other problems like having a house side, and a gardenweb side. That's idiotic too. And who's the person who decides on best answer or is it computerized? I wasn't able to comment there even on the gardenweb side, but I can now.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The state parks and preserves are going to open back up May 1st. Everything else in Illinois will remain closed. I can't see the point in closing natural, because there's plenty of room to practice social distancing. We had some rain, hope we get more.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

We had around 1.3" of rain yesterday. Supposed to get 1-2" tomorrow. I pulled all the garlic mustard today, shredded it with the lawn mower. Tore out some more huge honeysuckle vines and another bittersweet vine along my neighbors lot line by the street.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a lot of weeds. Do you compost the garlic mustard? I'm pretty you aren't eating it. I feel tired and a bunch of deliveries are coming, so I need to start prepping beds, and digging out invasive shrubs in the same areas. I still haven't killed the barberry in front. There's 3 burning bushes that need to come out. I may have to buy a root slayer.

These dudes offered to help me

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Now I can't change my profile picture or background picture. There's no option. I'm stuck with this picture now. My Amorpha fruticosa have buds.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy_line, are you ok? I haven't heard from you in a while.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, the bats are in their own bat house. Much as I like them, don’t really want to share the house with them. And at least now they don’t go behind the shutters. Looks like you got a lot done.

Jay, I was going to ask later, too, how Dandy is doing. How much stuff do you still have coming? For me it’s just the Amorpha Nitens. Didn’t even start planting the tray I got from Prairie Moon though. And various other stuff still sitting in pots.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't remember everything I ordered. I have look at my emails and make a list.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha. Sounds like myself.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Penstemon is blooming here. Seems they spread all over the place.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This is what's coming.

2 Asclepias hirtella

2 Asclepias viridis

3 Camassia scilloides

1 Chelone obliqua

Seeds Grindelia lanceolata

1 Heuchera parviflora

Seeds Palafoxia callosa

1 Penstemon tubaeflorus

1 Actaea rubra

1 Adiantum pedatum

1 Apocynum androsaemifolium

2 Aralia nudicaulis

1 Blephilia ciliata

1 Blephilia hirsuta

1 Chelone glabra

1 Cirsium flodmanii

1 Geum triflorum

1 Liatris cylindrica

1 Lilium michiganense

1 Lilium philidelphicum

1 Mitella diphylla

1 Moehringia lateriflora

1 Thalictrum dioicum

2 Trillium grandiflorum

1 Uvullaria sessilifolia

2 Asclepias cordifolia

1 Castanea pumila

2 Comptonia peregrina

3 Dirca palustris

2 Hypericum kalmianum

2 Linnaea borealis

1 Ribes americanum

1 Symphoricarpos album

1 Zanthoxylum americanum

There's a few more things I need.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I wouldn't want bats in my house either, Iris. Which Penstemon species is that? I saw a big basal rosette down by the weeds that looked like one of my Penstemons seeded itself down there.

I don't have a real compost pile for the garlic mustard and weeds, just a yard waste pile and brush piles all over the place. I have to haul a couple of the brush piles to the curb for pickup next week. The garlic mustard just looks like a pile of mush or grass clippings now.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, Jay. That’s some list! Need to look up some of these. And here I am trying to find spots for the plants I have standing around. The Penstemon is the smallii. I managed to get some of the silvery asters I wanted. So more spots to find.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have around 10 smallii plants from last year. They haven't bloomed yet. I want a couple more Aralia spinosa to screen out the neighbors and mostly for wildlife.

These native lupins germinated while in cms in refrigerator. I think I'll skip using boiling water on these.

Save    

Time for me to check in. I haven't had anything to report due to the cold month of April so far. I think the last pile of road snow disappeared this week. Temps are now into the 60's so things are starting to show. Have a nice display of Hepatica today, finally. No rain to speak of so got the hoses out and feel like it's ok that there won't be any hard freezes coming that would destroy the hoses. It is good weather for doing maintenance that I don't want to do when it's hot and humid. There's a couple of volunteer Ohio Buckeye's to be moved that will be future show pieces in the yard too. I've been waging war on the Ironwood seedlings that pop up all over and have now opened things up a bit more. Gave away about 75 Red and White Pine seedlings last week to my doctor, a young guy just starting out, in his 20's.

I did get early germination on some Mianthemum stellata while in the fridge so planted them out near my walkway. I have a nice patch of it growing in out of the way area which gets too dry each summer so when those popup i'll dig a big clump and move up by the garage. Some Scrophalaria seedlings from last year got moved out of the seed bed, One of the first plants to pop out of ground so far..

I'm planning on digging up some wild Gray Dogwood from near the rr track, they had really nice red leaves last fall so I want them by me. Also some Populous balsamifera is by there too and I will want a couple of those too. The leaves in spring are most odoriferous. Although messy like all Poplars, these are more decorative, and smell good too. After cutting down a bunch of mature Ironwood last year, I now have an ugly power pole sticking out like a sore thumb, so some fast growing Poplars might just cover it up quickly.

I'm finding more and more volunteer Elderberry and Dogwood on my property each spring, and even some young Balsam Fir at times. I have enough of the young dogwoods that I can give some away.

I'll post some pictures later on.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thanks for checking in, Dandy! Wish I had ironweed seedlings popping up. Mine are not doing well, they are one of the favorite deer snacks.

Great pictures, Jay! What is the fuzzy one in the first picture?

Got lucky with the weather last night. There was a line of super cells just north of us, The weather men stayed on live for more than 4 hours and even they lost the power. Lots of big hail and a F2 tornado in the next city. We had some lightning and wind, but not even any rain. Wonder what the snake had for lunch.

Save    

Eek! You can have those animals.

Is that wild Ginger Jay?

Glad to know those storms missed you Iris. I need some good rain. Been watering already to tempt the sprouts out of the ground. Warm today, close to 70 and sunny.

Main garden. Totally empty now. Will be a jungle soon enough.

Hepaticas were in full bloom with the sun.

Beaver took the entire tree away somewhere

I wonder who came to dinner? Turkey was on the menu too.

A side garden. Balsam fir and white spruce. Plus yellow birch, Elderberry, viburnum, etc. There were only oak trees in here 6 years ago until I slewed them. I planted the fir and spruce. The rest regenerated on their own.

Note: My Power company gladly brings me cubic yards of wood chips as they have trouble getting rid if it. If you want some, check with your own to see if they can drop them off for you. I'm on my second load now after five years.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice pictures Dandy. I don't think any of my hepatica or polemonium returned. Probably from the horrible weather last year. The picture is Asarum. They have discovered a couple more northern species in the Asarum canadense complex. They can be hiding in plain sight, but there are distinct morphological differences. I had a big thing for pine forests. Always have wanted my own. That dream has changed with my new knowledge about natives. I need to sow annual seeds this week. Some are nice natives that have germination code A. Like Nuttallanthus canadensis. Those were a fail last year. I'm growing 4 lupine under lights. The couple lupins that somehow stayed alive last year have kicked the bucket. They died, I think. Figures, there are one of my favorites.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I don't see any Penstemons?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, it’s a couple of posts up. Seek tells me these plants are Small’s ragwort. Seems right, doesn’t it? I left some in an area where almost nothing grows to find out what they are. Now starting to bloom.

My daughter took this picture today. Time for baby deer in South Carolina.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Why do you think it's Packera smallii? I need better pictures of the leaves. Packera can have different types of leaves on the same plant. They're are a host plant for something. Do you have any wooly crotons coming up. I soaked some in water and they became slimy. I planted them. If I can't get all 3 million of those seeds to germinate then something's wrong. Somebody in fb is sending me cudweed seeds.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

All kinds of different leaves on them. The Seek app said that’s what they are. There are different looking things sprouting in my wooly croton pots. Hopefully some of them are the right thing. I also direct sowed some. Have not looked in that area. Probably also hard to tell what is what there.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, it looks right for smallii.

1 Like Save    

Iris-how do you like your Monarda bradburianna? Mine has the strongest mint odor I think I've encountered, or more like Oregano. Have you tried making tea with it?

If you go back to the picture of my main garden, notice the grey rock-a fake! I use it to cover my well head pipe. About $50 on Amazon. Well(!) worth it, IMO.

1. Also this link for info on seed mixes, from the tom Clothier site. (Also other great pages there). https://tomclothier.hort.net/page12.html

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, ever hear of Biophilla Native Plant Nursery. They specialize in butterfly host plants. They sell croton and cudweed plants.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Carex collinsii.

Not nagive to Illinois, but does best in New Jersey. Rare.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Silene caroliniana

COTYLEDONS:

Aletris farinosa (there are a lot more in the jug)

Asclepias exaltata

Mitella diphylla

Some day it'll warm up and these things will start growing more. Its been mostly cold and rainy with warm-ish windy days scattered in here and there. Supposed to rain until saturday now, but a little warmer.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Looks real good so far Skip. It poured all night here. We needed the rain. I just noticed the Collinsonia and Elephantopus starting to come back.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

DANIEL BOONE, I knew he was passionate about his buffalo clovers, but I didn't know that he rediscovered them. Maybe I'll luck out, and discover some too.

http://floraofohio.blogspot.com/2012/05/buffalo-clover-re-discovered-100-years.html?m=1

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Oh yes, the Collinsonia was missing in action until last week, then a bunch germinated and are working on their second set of leaves already. Saturday and sunday are supposed to be sunny and warm.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Cool! How's the Dodecatheon looking?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

They're alive, looking a little pale. Maybe I'll give them some extra sun to help dry out a little. There are 34 seedlings in that jug.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Cool. I chilled some Tephrosia seeds for 10 days, and then poured boiling water on them. Only 1 seed swelled. I did the boiling water a second time and still there were a bunch still small, so I rubbed them on sandpaper, and I think it worked. More are starting to swell.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah I think there were a few seeds I should have scarified with sandpaper. I just went out and watered the second hoop house full of trays with 1/4 strength fert and biofungicide. I noticed some NY and NE aster, Carex blanda, sweet goldenrod, Zizia aptera and Anaphalis have germinated. Another spicebush germinated.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Did the wahoo pop up? I just sowed 10 containers of plants with code A. I repotted 6 Gomphocarpus and 6 curassavica. I think the mulch I used must have had Galium seeds in it. There are cleavers everywhere. I found a clover with completely green leaves. I'm keeping an eye on it in case it's buffalo clover, but doubt I'd be that lucky. It really warmed up. 1 little Ptelea tree is coming back.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Unfortunately no the Wahoo hasn't popped up. I noticed the radicles had emerged on some of them when i opened the seed package, but I sowed all of them at the same time, even the ones without radicles so maybe those are still viable in there.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, a lot to catch up on! So much is happening! Dandy, I love the Monarda Bradburiana a lot. Didn’t notice any strong fragrance and didn’t try to make tea with it yet. Very well behaved plant so far, but I just planted it last year. I have a fake rock that looks exactly like yours, for the same purpose. It’s been there for a long time and holding up well.

Jay, I am going to have to look up that nursery. Still hoping I have wooly croton sprouting somewhere though.

Did any of you ever tell me to grow Aristolochia serpentaria and I just forgot to order some? My Amorpha is attracting a bunch of little bees now.

Even had a hairstreak stop by

Found one tiny little guy out and about on my spicebush, but he hightailed it right back into his pocket

going to look at all of your posts and pictures closely now, including Skips impressive numbers of sprouts. Looks like all the winter sowing turns out very successful this time around.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's been raining for over 48 hours straight here. A lot of flooding.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Back to thunderstorms here. Already had more than an inch of rain.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's very mucky outside. I can't wait for the weather to get nicer. They shipped my Missouri Wildflowers order. I may have to send you some milkweeds Iris. I don't have room for them all. How are yours holding up against the monarch cats?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Have been moving the cats around since they completely ate all the swamp milkweeds. Monarch was out this morning to lay more eggs, but the common one is holding up. First chrysalis that I know of today, and I was lucky enough to witness the process. Never gets old. And it better works out well since it is on an Iris.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The colors match. The blue green. So far only the swamp milkweed is appearing. Did you say that you heard the wooly croton was difficult to start from seed?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

There were people saying that they were failing to start the wooly croton from seeds on purpose. But some said they failed with that, but self seeding happened. So in addition to plant seeds in pots, I sprinkled some around. Maybe that will work. If I can recognize the seedlings instead of pulling them as weeds. There are some sprouts in the pots. Some I knew were evening primrose, so I pulled them. Need to wait to see what the others turn out to be.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think that I scattered seeds around.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The storms are rolling in here now, going to be a wet night. At least its nice and warm now, come on seeds, germinate! Too many empty trays for my liking. I really didn't want to have to set up grow lights and do artificial stratification and stuff but maybe I'll have to next year. I took my daughter for a long walk around the neighborhood. There is far too much of this everywhere for my liking. Some front yards dont have a single tree.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yeah, lawn, what a sin towards nature. The rain finally stopped. It flooded a lot of things so beware Skip. It's cold now today. Hope it warms up fast. Most of the milkweeds are ready to be planted. I sowed more Crotalaria, Tephrosia, Acmispon, and sicklepod seeds yesterday. I might have scarified a few of the Tephrosia seeds a little too well, so I hope they all germinate. Last year none did, and then a honey locust showed up in a tray, and for months I was fooled into believing it was Tephrosia. Today I'm sowing Baptisia tinctoria, Ipomoea pandurata, and Astragalus canadensis. I'm going to scatter some Boehmeria cylindrica and Croton capitatus seeds. The Antennaria plantaginifolia has flower buds.

Save    
Save    
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I always remove old stalks. I think I'll start leaving some for bees.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Good choice, Jay! All kinds of critters using them as homes. I took this picture yesterday.

Good luck with the ipomoea seeds. Not seeing a single thing sprouting in my pots. We had 2.5 inches of rain last night, so everything is a muddy mess.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Good links. Pinelands Nursery here in NJ started a podcast recently, the last episode had a guest who is doing bee monitoring with the USGS. Check it out its a good listen, although it makes me want to kill all my weeds and trees even more now haha.

https://www.nativeplantshealthyplanet.com/p/blog-page.html?m=1 

I was thinking I'd try to encourage more shade to make my property more manageable, but the meadow and edge habitat need more love.

I left my Rudbeckia laciniata stalks standing until my wife complained about them last week. The front was standing until 3 weeks ago. I cut them down with hedging sheers and pile them in the back. If any insects are present they should be able to survive that.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I could probably just make a diy mason bee house using hollow plant stems. Skip, what species of Spiranthus did you get? How is your Goodyera plant doing?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Spigelia alabamensis. So rare it only exist in one county in Alabama, Bibb Glades.

Iliamna remota, so rare, it only exist on Langham Island in the Kankakee River, Illinois.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I drove out to Goose Lake Prairie, and it is so far in the middle of nowhere that the silence was amazing. Don't think I've seen it all. Parks start opening tomorrow.

https://woodsandprairie.blogspot.com/2020/04/a-day-in-unbroken-america.html?m=1

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah parks open here tomorrow too, I'm pumped! I got "Spiranthes cernuum odorata". There is a selection of this species called "Chadds Ford" that was popular in horticulture, but its unclear if this is from that selection, probably. I dont know where I'm goint to plant this, maybe I have to make a bog planter. Anything I plant is going to get surround by violets and creeping charlie. My daughters new favorite thing is to pull flowers and stems off my plants so this is an unexpected new challenge. The Goodyera is hanging in there, not doing much really, its a tiny plant. You don't realize how small these orchids are until you see them in person.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, Skip! Your daughter reminds me of myself when I was little. I ripped off the flowers, wanting to play flower shop. Drove my mother crazy. First of the milkweeds blooming.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, you can probably get an ID on the orchid when it gets bigger. Asclepias viridis. Had bad luck with them last year. Hopefully better this year, and I ordered 2 plants, just in case. My wooly crotons are popping up.

I came across this story that I'd never heard before. I didn't realize some important contributions to botany had there beginnings at the Lockport Prairie where I often go.

https://woodsandprairie.blogspot.com/2020/04/discovering-america_27.html?m=1

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, is it still raining there. It was miserable when we had it, but it's beautiful outside today. Going to see if the park's open.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah we are getting scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms, but the sunnny periods have been nice today. The worst of it was last night. Tomorrow is going to be sunny and 70 all day, have to do a bunch of annoying stuff like mowing, dragging brush to the curb and mulching.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Mowing?

haha

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah unfortunately I cant stop mowing, It'll turn into an ugly mess of weeds real quick. I have some mugwort I need to try to spot treat tomorrow before it really starts taking off.

Save    
javiwa

Hooray, the Queens are back after a couple of years' absence! I missed them so much last year, and people have said Queens cannot resist Gregg's mistflower.

BTW, can anyone ID this creature, also enjoying some solitude on the mistflower as the Queen's chasing off the Monarch?

Save    
javiwa

Any idea what this might be? I tried for months -- without success -- to germinate shrubby boneset seeds. Instead, this popped up and is just happy as can be. It's currently ~ 10" tall.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am so jealous. Never seen a Queen. Your other critter looks like some sort of sesiid moth. First glance I thought “Oh, no, a squash vine borer”, but doesn’t look like it.

1 Like Save    
javiwa

Thanks, Iris. This creature was much smaller than the hummingbird moths I've seen here. I Googled from there, and it could be a type of wasp moth. Interestingly, a good number of pics of wasp moths are taken while they're feeding on a mistflower! Will keep searching. When the sun hit the darker parts of its back, it shimmered a beautiful blue.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Lespedeza violacea is returning. It's sort of a woody plant. Still no sign of the 2 Hieracium venosum. Maybe they need to be in more sandy soil with good drainage in order to survive the winter.? The parks are open. The paths were muddy.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice pics. Are you sure its the Lespedeza you are looking at? I remember you had it mixed up with the Hypericum prolificum. The Hypericum is a woody plant, the Lespedeza dies down to a nub. My Hypericums leafed out really early and have already grown some new branches.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm sure. It bloomed little purple pea flowers. It's coming back from ground level, but the branches from last year feel wiry. The Erigeron pulchellus is growing buds. The 2 Hypericum plants were small. I haven't seen them yet.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Oh Jay, maybe this is one of the trilliums you sent?

JITP looking a little off, but alive

elderberry volunteer doing much better this year. Dandy told me what the little weeds under it was but I don't remember now, anyone know?

I looked around that area behind the shed where I pulled out all the multiflora rose over the winter and there is native Viburnum all over the place

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I was going to put the vine on name that plant, but you can't even do that. It just let's me post the title and then no option for presentation or photo. Retarded. All they could tell me at another place is that it's some species of Veronica, but I can't find matching leaves in google photos.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I went to a prairie and stumbled onto one of the rarest and most endangered plants in Illinois. Behold Tetraneuris herbacea var. glabra/ Hymenoxys acaulis var. glabra . The Lakeside Daisy. Used to be included in Gaillardia. Positively identified by Paul Marcum.

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Now that’s a cute little daisy. Who put the flags up?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The park district. These plants most certainly are being monitored.

Save    

Skip-funny! You sure had me there for a few minutes or more. Sure love those Viburnums. The valuable seed bank just can't help popping up when all the junk is removed.

Jay-thanks for posting that pic. Everyone who visits this page will be in awe.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, your vine is Veronica hederifolia. The leaves should be pubescent, but it doesn't show up in your photo. I've dreamed about growing the Lakeside Daisy, but now that I've seen it in person and seen how beautiful and vulnerable it is, I just want to help conserve it through legit channels. I wish that I had more inside info about it. Once I get into Plants of Concern I should learn a lot more. This was the same prairie where they rediscovered Dalea foliosa after it was presumed extinct.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

More pictures from yesterday at nearby prairie that had a partial burn.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I just picked up my order with the purple milkweed and ended up leaving with swamp milkweed, blue flag Iris, another spiranthes cernuum from the lady's property. a fringed loosestrife and a st. Andrew's cross hypericum.

1 Like Save    
javiwa

....cuz why waste a trip, right? ;)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Its true. It was a long drive, she had a lot of plants I wanted, that was me restraining myself.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, where did you get the plants. I'm like so jealous, I was just admiring that Hypericum. I need to add loosestrife too. How far was it?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Its http://www.earthfirstnatives.com/ , down by Atlantic City, about 65 miles. She had more plants there than what she had listed on her site, and she had some cool ones that were in her landscape that she hadn't been able to propagate yet, like Aletris farinosa from the area, lizard tongue, and spotted wintergreen. She had regular wintergreen Gaultheria procumbens and Rhexia virginica too.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Lucky you, Skip! Guess you will have to go back there some time! Nice pictures, Jay! Why do little Mockingbirds always look so grumpy? But really adorable.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Looks like you were close enough with your camera to annoy him.

Jay: http://mowildflowers.net/St-Andrews-Cross-Hypericum-hypericoides_p_148.html

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's where I saw hupericoides. I just saw the 2 that you sent have returned, and I sowed hypericum seeds, plus I'm getting 2 kalmianum from Reeseville, so I think I have enough hypericum for now. What native nursery did you get your plants from? Does she run it from home? They also burnt the sand prairie and savanna. There were a lot of killdeer in that preserve. They need that type of environment for nesting.

hairy or hoary pucoon

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Whoa nice pics, back up a couple posts for info about the nursery. Yes she operates out of her house.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's looking like most of the spicebush seedlings died. I'm done with that nursery. That 3 trillium species plus these spicebush. I should send them an email. I'm going to try Reeseville for spicebush.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Geraniums are flowering nice now

Wild ginger is coming back strong too.

Found 3 Lupine seedlings where I dumped the seed pods last year. The original plant was killed off by a burrowing animal but the seedlings live on in a new spot.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Looks great Skip. Do you grow Aquilegia canadensis? A lot more seeds are sprouting. I saw some Blephilia starting. Did your shooting star bloom yet?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You might not find any online information about this here plant, Packera obovata var. elliotii.

The tomatose Packera obovata var. eliottii.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I do grow Aquilegia, it got about a foot tall last year, real small, just a few blooms. Its closer to 3ft right now and looks like its going to start flowering any day now. My shooting star is in the pics I just posted, it didn't bloom yet. Maybe it needs more time. Nice pics of the woods. I have to finish up some projects in my yard and get out to see whats going on in the woods.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Zizia aurea

Lilium superbum, Aquilegia canadensis, Impatiens capensis.

Astragalus canadensis

Oenothera fruticosa, Diervillea lonicera

Erigeron pulchellus

Gillenia trifoliata

Aquilegia canadensis

Anemonella thalictroides

Antennaria plantaginifolia

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, there is a lot going on and everything is looking great! It was 87 here today. Forecast says 38 with patchy frost for Saturday night though. And generally way colder than it is supposed to be. This has me worried. Meanwhile my hop trees are starting to flower

and the lacewings are at work

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice pics Jay, that shot with the shooting star came out really nice. Your Aquilegia is flowering way before mine.

Iris, dont worry, I am getting the same cold snap, hardy plants should be okay right?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I lost some annuals with the unexpected frost in April, some of my little trees have not yet fully recovered. Especially my little catalpa, oaks and hickory had a lot of shriveled up, black leaves. I have planted a lot since then. The plants from Prairie Moon (the mixed tray), were really small. Plus all my vegetables and annuals. Nothing I can do about it though. The weather is just really weird. Might get severe thunderstorms again tonight.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's supposed to rain here later. It's going to get below freezing for a couple nights this week.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's been raining all day.

Trillium undulatum, ( Painted Trillium )

Photo by Richard T. Ware

Trillium undulatum forma enotatum ( Unpainted Painted Trillium )

May be classified into genus Trillidium.

Photo by Richard T. Ware

It's looking like I will finally have cudweed, and gum weed, and rosinweed. Need some tarweed. I saw a bunch of pseudognaphalium germinating. And Blephilia, awesome!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

May you live all the days of your life.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I've been running around trying to get this woodchip pile off my driveway. Normally I just start new garden areas by smothering the turf with cardboard and mulch, and never get around to edging it. I tried shovel/trench edging today for the first time, went pretty well. Then I tried to remove some turf with a stirrup hoe, but that didn't work very easily. I think I will try using the spade to cut the sod and then lift it up in patches next time.

The three larger shrubs are Clethra. Between the first 2 clethras closer to the edge theres a big hole in the ground (filled with leaves now) with 2 hollow stem joe pye weeds puting up several more stalks vs. last year. The low green stuff in the corner is big leaf aster, heart leaf aster, wild bergamot, and volunteer violets. To the right is a baby flowering dogwood and the Aquilegias are right behind that. Bunch of real aggressive plants its probably going to look like a big mess later this year.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s looking great Skip! And not a weed in sight it seems. Had a really loud thunderstorm tonight. Thankfully just rain, not the big hail nearby areas got. Another one on the way here now. I will need to make some room for more plants somewhere. The bee balm and mint are really spreading and crowding out all kinds of things. Purple tops are doing great, lots of volunteers around.

Had a really small Monarch around today.

I think Dandy put this one in my head last year with some Prairie Moon sale on seeds.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Beautiful Iris, whats the last one? Dont look too closely, there are lots of weeds but I hoed them out and put the wood chips down right before the pic. Theres still lots of mock strawberry and creeping charlie in the grass right there. I was looking through some vegetable seeds and realized I had a pack of giant fennel, I planted those yesterday along with some basil. Oh yeah after looking for Potentilla canadensis seeds everywhere and driving over an hour to buy some plants I found them near work

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Oh man, you've got Duchesnea indica? My condolences. 🤣

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, I also have a lot of the strawberry. Plus lots and lots of cypress vine and morning glories coming up. The plant in the last picture is widow’s cross.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

There are no signs of the trumpet vine returning. The Elephantopus is coming back.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Hydrastis is blooming and also the geraniums. Common milkweed is emerging. No sign of the 5 barefoot Aralia racemosa I planted. The spinosa is coming back. Skip, I've stressed over acquiring a lot of plants only to find out they were nearby. How's your intern training going? I haven't even sowed my tall Verbena seeds yet Iris.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

My intern training? You mean my daughter who I have to constantly chase away from tearing all my plants? Im trying to redirect her to picking the weeds, but all the perennials and young trees are right at her level. She tore a bunch of branches off a rudbeckia laciniata before, but that started a couple years ago as a seedling I didnt know what to do with, so its ok. It rained a little bit around 11 and is supposed to rain more later, but I still went outside, cut and flipped over a 4x4 patch of turf thats in a depression in the ground, and planted the swamp milkweed, northern blueflag iris, and a stray seedling in the Iris pot that I think is Salvia lyrata. Then I spread some woodchips over the area. I've heard not to dig wet soil, not to plant into freshly tilled soil, and not to mulch with fresh woodchips, but I just did all 3 so we'll see what happens.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Your daughter will eventually be a good gardener. That's cool that you have blue flag Iris. Something is digging in a couple containers outside. Might be a cat. I'm going to look for the elusive Collinsia verna. I need to start digging. Saw a couple Actaea sprouting. No problem getting green matter for compost.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This changes everything.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well, wow. That’s one thick book! How wonderful! My old South Carolina one holds nothing against that.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Lol, the New Jersey one is like a very general pamphlet. Please share interesting stuff you learn

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just read somewhere that this is the most complete book ever written about plants from any area. I was having a hard time ordering it online and then I saw Prairie Moon had it. $125. I just checked out Bear Island to see what it looks like in spring. There are some spring flowers there, but a lot of honeysuckle invading the wooded parts.

Ribes americanum

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Great pics. Is the last one Phlox divaricatus? I planted a couple things today and finished the wood chips, and realized I got whorled loosestrife Lysimachia quadrifolia, not fringed loosestrife. Im going to have to move it later since I put it in a wet spot.

Also, success!

Asclepias variagata

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Awesome! I finally found Collinsia verna and as an added bonus a beautiful, small colony of Trillium grandiflorum. My Reeseville order came today.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Nice pictures! Hm. I didn’t even get a shipping notice or the invoice to pay for my Amorpha Nitens yet.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have to call him tomorrow and pay him, and order more plants. Maybe I'll get a nitens too lol.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, that was phlox divaricata. None of my variegata are showing yet.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

He sent your order without you paying yet? I was wondering if/when mine was going to show up because I haven't paid him yet either or gotten an email. I can see why you've been looking for the Collinsia

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

So my weatherman just said to take care of the plants Saturday night and throw a sheet over them. Big chance with how spread out everything is in my yard. Are you all worried about cold moving in? It was just 39 degrees this morning. On the bright side, the wood mint is starting to bloom

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm not worried. If anything freezes and dies, then I don't want it anyway.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

😮

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Its supposed to go down to 36 but I dont think it will bother anything I grow. I dont have anything thats really tender and I start all my seeds outside where they are acclimated to temperature fluxuations.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, did your prairie smoke bloom yet? I want to see pictures of the Monarda bradburiana when it blooms too. I hope my seeds for it germinate.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I thought I posted pictures of the Bradburiana blooming here. The prairie smoke didn’t bloom yet, but looks like any day now. Hope it does and doesn’t freeze off.

Save    
Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

You going to grow it? Do you regularly listen to that podcast? The latest one about earthworms altering northern forest soils had some interesting info. They are impacting stuff like trilliums that root into the duff. On the other hand, the soil change will encourage more savannas and grasslands.

Its a lot colder today with rain in the forecast.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm going to collect seeds. Just a few, and then start sharing seeds. Sally, the steward of that woods, is in my society group. There are or were hundreds of thousands of those plants at Messenger Woods. It was mentioned in my flora. The motherload of C. verna must have been in another area. The plants look delicate. I first went to the east side of the woods to look. That's where the Trillium were. I found nothing and then started driving to the west end. In a low flood plain I saw something that looked white from a distance. The sun made the blue eyed Mary's look like garlic mustard from a distance, but my gut told me to go check it out and bam, they they were. I have never seen any native orchids up here ever. That would really be a treat. You all are more than welcome to join in on my other threads. I don't think the evil earthworms have reached here yet. I've tried to find Collinsia seeds and came up empty, I've had a running plea for it going, and still no luck. I want to get it to colonize so I can share seeds and increase the species. I had brought a seedling home last fall, and I was convincing myself it was Collinsia, but it isn't. The seeds germinate in late summer and fall and the seedlings overwinter.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Reeseville is sold out of Amorpha nitens.😭😭😭🥺

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I got some Tephrosia germinating.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Oh no! He sold out?! I hope he didn’t forget my order. If I get it, I can send you one. I ordered three.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Great and great! Tephrosia at the top of my list of seeds that I want to germinate. I've decided to buy an old fashioned manual lawn mower. I really hate that sound of gas powered mowers. Any mowers actually. Everybody's at it again. Perpetrating the stupid 200 year old myth. Those freshly mowed turfs look hideous to me. A nation at work creating the insect apocalypse.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

A hand mower would be better for cutting the grass surrounding planted areas, and then I can get away with planting more stuff. I want my yard to look like Doug Tallamy's. I didn't spot any Tephrosia out in Braidwood. I wonder if it appears later than the wild blue lupine. I'd love to see some pedicularis plants. Somebody had pictures of it at a sand prairie in northern Illinois, so it must be around. I get flashes of it in my subconscious so maybe I did see it, but got distracted?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

My next mower will be a battery powered one. I was outside before and spotted a second smaller wave of garlic mustard flowering, so I went around pulling it, and again when I got to the area behind my shed I noticed something else flowering up high, this time a big old blackhaw viburnum. Maybe 12ft from the big arrowwood I found last week. It keeps me going soo much to find some good plants under the invasives.

Also I found this shrub but the pictures came out pretty bad. Anyone recognize it? The leaves were held kind of upright on the stem like an azalea.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'll try to figure it out. The leaves have a distinctive veining pattern.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Here I cropped the one picture where the background is in focus. It has distinctive bark too, and you can see how the leaves point upward in that cluster on the top left. I could get more pictures tomorrow