SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drewsmaga

OK, so maybe I'm crazy, but. . . .

drewsmaga
4 years ago

Amid all this hysteria and hoarding and restaraunts/sports/theaters/live audience tv shows/ my local Chik Fil A/etc./etc./etc. shutting down due to the Coronavirus, I'm thinking about exposing my 70 yr. old ({HIGH RISK) body and dealing with how it reacts, just to get this over with for me. Schools have closed. My library has closed. Our SFL beaches have closed. I'm ready to get it over with. My husband still thinks he's gonna escape being exposed. What do you all think? Gonna be exposed sooner or late and have to find out how your body deals with it?

Comments (46)

• terilyn
    4 years ago

How exactly are you going to be sure you are exposed? Do you personally know someone with the virus?

drewsmaga thanked terilyn
  • sephia_wa
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That sounds suicidal. Why would you consider that? Just protect yourself, wash your hands, etc. You may not be exposed to it if you take precautions. We're not all doomed. I'm doing my best to avoid exposure. Just do your best.

And, you can be exposed to it and carry it for up to ten days. Imagine all the people who don't want it that you're going to be exposing it to.

drewsmaga thanked sephia_wa
  • Related Discussions

Ok, so it's raining again and I'm bored.......(pics)

Q

Comments (12)
    Stunning colors! Seminole Wind still sticks out for me, but all of them are gorgeous. I hear you about the rain, we had it almost all weekend and it's spotty today. The grass has to be mowed every 4/5 days. Everything sure looks lush, so I can't complain. I think it's going to start drying up now.
    ...See More

I'm so stir crazy

Q

Comments (36)
    WHEW..... Story... Daughter @ 15 had a bandaide wrapped around her nose...I asked "what happened"..she said the "dog" jumped up on her........LATER...found out....nope!! nose ring...MADE her take it out.....FAST FWD...She is 22...has a nose "stud"?..tiny...grrrr What can I say now???..BOTH of my "SWEET CHILDREN"!..have tongue pierceings..ack!!! DO NOT SHOW IT TO ME!!!!!! Both have A FEW (Thank God!) tatoos!!!..I realize times change..but sheshh..I TRY TO TELL them...THEM NEEDLES ARE NOT CLEAN..DOING THE TATOOS!!!! .. ACK!!! YET...my son is so proud of the 3 He has......he proclaims...""I DESIGNED THEM MYSELF..TO REPRESENT, MY UNCLE WHO DIED( an Angel)..AND MY 'PAPA' (who has Alzheimers) ITS a CROSS THAT IS CRISS-CROSSED...GO FIGURE!!! Ok..what about the play boy bunny on your calf??... HE SAYS "THAT'S 'ME'"!!..rofl...OK..I have to laugh...not happy but still...I have to laugh!!! At least ALL OF THEM can be covered ... no seen with clothes...LOL Dena
    ...See More

ok - so I'm overweight - but I'm working on it...

Q

Comments (6)
    Does it have to be a dress? How about nice black slacks, heels and a dressy top? Or a jacket and coordinated blouse. Cute earrings, cute bag and you're set. Do you have a Nordstroms? Was recently looking for a dress to wear to a wedding and saw some really cute things in the women's section. I don't wear women's so nothing worked for me, but I ended up with a print skirt, sleeveles beaded linen top and matching cardigan sweater which I got at Macy's. It was Jones New York, so nice fit and quality. I hear you about the dresses. I'm a size 12 pear, and every one I tried on was horrible. Too big on top, too small on the bottom, too low, big arm holes. I feel your pain. Good luck, and let us know what you do. (Oh and congrats on the weight loss. Keep going.)
    ...See More

OK, I'm pretty much sold on Toto, but...

Q

Comments (10)
    cynic writes: 1.6 gal. is fine, No advantage to me to go less than that. Dual flush is not anything special to me either. Was looking at Vespin, Carlyle, Carolina and UltraMax. UltraMax seems to be the only one of these that have ADA height though unless I'm misreading something. We have a Vespin II, installed eight months ago. It is ADA height, skirted, and it uses 1.28 gallons per flush; it flushes completely time after time. It is a good solution for our needs. But it is a two-piece. If you want a stylish one-piece that has every technological innovation that any Toto has, look at the Inax Dover. Inax is the #2 market share toilet maker in Japan, and is the innovation pioneer in the world's most competitive toilet market. Most of the features in Toto toilets appeared first in an Inax model in Japan. Among others, Terry Love (with whom you are familiar) sells the Inax Dover. Here is a link that might be useful: Inax Dover: it looks good, too
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Yeah, I understand the sentiment...sort of like chicken pox before the vaccine, get exposed and get it over with... but if you can avoid exposure at least until there's a vaccine or treatment developed, you'd certainly be better off. There is no "undo" button in medicine. Should you get sick and get deathly ill, you'll be really unhappy that you chose that path and there's no going back. At least if you are exposed against your will, you know you did what you could to stay well for as long as you could.

I'm viewing this time as an opportunity to be a homebody, and focusing on Mother Nature, spending time outdoors and in the natural world...sort of like thoreau and walden pond. Spring is here. The plants need me. I need the sunshine and the fresh air and the cathedral of the trees. This won't last forever, and the world will get OTT busy again before we know it, so we can appreciate this down time for what it is.

It's like when we used to lose electricity, and we'd turn to reading by candlelight or conversations or games to play together....or even catching up on much needed sleep. Then the lights would come on, it'd get bright and noisy and busy again, and part of me would be disappointed that the simpler, gentler way was over.

drewsmaga thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Chi
    4 years ago

And the point of the social isolation isn't to stop the virus spread, but to slow it. We will be in much better shape if those who get infected with severe cases are able to get the proper medical care they need. So even if you get sick, in theory it's better if it happens later.

drewsmaga thanked Chi
  • drewsmaga
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't know anyone with it, but if I exposed myself, I'd self-quarantine to flatten the curve.. I'm not evil. or suicidal. I just want to get on with living what life I've got left without hiding out in fear.

• Chi
    4 years ago

It's only been a few days. :)

Personally I'm trying not to panic as I felt myself coming down with something on Friday and today I'm developing a minor fever. No cough so I think that's good. Regardless I haven't left my house since Friday and have no plans to. I'm hoping it's just a bug from being too close to all the crazy shoppers last week. Can you get a fever with a cold??

drewsmaga thanked Chi
  • Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

It's time to get some new hobbies. We're all used to being entertained by others. It's time to learn to entertain ourselves. What is something that you have always wanted to do that doesn't rely on others?

drewsmaga thanked Adella Bedella
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

The problem too is that it's not clear how much immunity you get from having the disease or how long it lasts and whether or not you can get re-infected. It's also not clear that once you're over the disease, you're well. With other infectious diseases, some people have suffered permanent injury....not something you'd volunteer for, I'm sure. With all the focus on death rates with this one, no one is talking about whether or not people with severe cases have permanent lung damage or not.

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

Actually, I believe some doctors in China believe that some recovered cases have a permanent reduction in lung capacity. I can't link the article, but there was one in the NYTimes and another in Business Insider.

drewsmaga thanked Fun2BHere
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

I agree with Annie, there is no evidence that you grow immunity with exposure. Plus, if you get the virus when you potentially could have prevented it and become seriously ill, you'll likely be filling a bed, using a ventilator that could be needed by someone who's on the front lines and comes down with the virus: doctors, nurses, other health care workers, store employees who are working to keep food available for us, etc. They are all seriously exposed and are now becoming ill.

Stay home and leave the resources for those who really need them.

drewsmaga thanked Olychick
  • sephia_wa
    4 years ago

And this isn't going to last forever. It's not going to be a permanent way of life. I'm focusing on some things around home that I always say I'll get around to. And I'm reading more. And walking around my neighborhood and keeping the safe distance from anyone else. You can still get out for a drive.

drewsmaga thanked sephia_wa
  • wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

I don't fear the virus. Of course I would not like to get it but I don't fear it. I fear the hysteria. I fear the politics behind it. I'm about to turn 69. Instead of telling us how many older people have died ,conveniently neglecting to state that most were already in nursing homes and in frail health, the media etc. should be focusing on the how the numbers of those infected are most much greater than known and most people will survive the virus just fine.

I guess since everything will be closed I will be spending a lot more time at the two ranches I ride at. One has to move all the horses out by the end of April. A lot of horses to find new homes for. Most of us are older woman. The county is doing another greedy land grab for the more hiking trails for the snowflakes that fear sharing the trails with nature's fertilizer. I will maybe get busy with helping out if I can.

drewsmaga thanked wildchild2x2
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Here's the bullet points from the Business Insider article Fun referenced:

• jtc
    4 years ago

Chi yes one can have a fever with a sore throat caused by an infection. I am experiencing that now and am trying to remain positive and calm. Easier said than done

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

You might find this chart helpful.

If you have fever and start getting breathless, I'd definitely call the doc but don't go into the office...do it over the phone.

• Chi
    4 years ago

Thanks Annie, that makes me feel better. It sounds like I have a cold or allergies. Very slight fever seems to come and go, and I wonder how much my stress is impacting it.

drewsmaga thanked Chi
  • JustDoIt
    4 years ago

I truly believe this saying:

You don't have to go to every fight you are invited to.

In this case, stay at home. Don't go out looking, and possibly spreading, trouble.

drewsmaga thanked JustDoIt
  • dee_can1
    4 years ago

You never know the lasting effects to your health with this virus. I hear a certain percentage ends up with lung scarring. I'll do my best to avoid it, and spreading it. I'm in a vulnerable group because of pre-existing conditions and my father is in the older age bracket.

drewsmaga thanked dee_can1
  • arkansas girl
    4 years ago

This probably sounds crazy, but I swear, my husband had this a couple of years ago! Is this really anything new or did they just realize it and begin to test for it in China because of their labs there that were studying this virus? Makes me wonder because he had all the symptoms of this...not like flu, cold or allergies at all. He recovered and is just fine now but it took him about a month before he had no more tightness in his chest. Unless they know of a virus and have tests for it...if you go to the doctor and they do their typical flu, strep tests, they would not have any way of knowing what you had if there had not been any test for it. It is possible that this virus could have been here already, long ago! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

• User
    4 years ago

So it takes ten to fifteen years for the average vaccine to be made available to the public. There is still no treatment for rhinovirus and for the flu only a treatment that can shorten the duration.

How long can we realistically hide in our homes?

drewsmaga thanked User
  • salonva
    4 years ago

@drewsmaga I can understand wanting to go about life as usual and not following the guidelines so strictly but it comes down to---it's not just you. I think we all have to get to the store at some point and that can't realistically be avoided. However, we can curtail the number of interactions we have.

If somehow you get exposed and are carrying it, you are then exposing it to so many others. And this, if it happens, will likely be before you are presenting with any symptoms.

As mentioned, this social distancing and isolation is not expected or intended to wipe it out, but to slow down the spread so that it might be more manageable.

drewsmaga thanked salonva
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I went looking and found that fever is defined as being 100.4 or higher...

I've also read that they suggest if you have a fever and any symptoms at all, assume that's what it is and stay home.

• socks
    4 years ago

This is one of the most interesting and important threads I’ve read on KT.

Drewsmaga, I feel your hopelessness, but you’ve had some good thoughts and advice here. In protecting yourself, you are also protecting others.

No doubt most of us feel stunned after all the restrictions that came out yesterday. Personally I support the closures, etc. but worry about the people and businesses affected by these. Our communities are in for rough times ahead.

We need to continue to share here. I hope in time we can settle into this new normal.

Annie, your words are so wise, so positive....thank you. You lifted my spirits.

drewsmaga thanked socks
  • Eileen
    4 years ago

At the press conference yesterday, the doctor said that 99.8 is considered a fever indicating possible coronavirus. He said that adults don't spike high fevers like children do. So any fever should be checked out.

drewsmaga thanked Eileen
  • Michael
    4 years ago

A few months ago we purchased paint, marble top, new hand towels, shower curtain, faucets, rugs, etc. The past few days we've spent redecorating a bathroom. I love home improvement!

We rarely have down time during normal life since our 3 grandchildren live .2 miles from us. My nurse daughter isolated us last Thursday and I have to say we're well rested and having some retired senior life fun. Yesterday we cooked a turkey and had a Thanksgiving Day meal, just the two of us.

drewsmaga thanked Michael
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Thank you socks.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Acting on those feelings would be a very bad idea. For yourself: if you roll the dice and need medical treatment, there is painful and unpleasant supportive care but NO CURE, and long term (probably rest of your life) unpleasant consequences if you survive a bad case. For your community: a) you spread it unknowingly with no control over your victims, b) thereby you cause more cases requiring painful medical treatment, thereby taking precious medical equipment from people whose life depends bearing that pain, c) you infect the medical community which the rest of us depend on for our health, d) do I really need to go on?

Plus, we'd miss your voice. We don't always agree but you are heard here. Don't roll the dice.

Respecting this virus is not the same as fearing it. We all need to avoid fear as well, because that leads to blind actions.

drewsmaga thanked nickel_kg
  • share_oh
    4 years ago

I understand what you're saying. I have said IF I'm going to get this, I'd rather get it now and get it over with (hopefully!). The unknown is unsettling. But with all that said, I'm still following every precaution I can. I don't want to get it, but if I do, then I'd like it sooner than later. If that makes sense to anyone other than myself! ; )

drewsmaga thanked share_oh
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

I'm going walking, but otherwise staying home. I like the adage "You don't have to go to every fight you are invited to." Yet......I do believe that if your knocked down you have to get back up....and get back up....and get back up! :0)

drewsmaga...don't you still live in Pueblo Colorado? So much beauty, so little time....

drewsmaga thanked nicole___
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I recommend meditation which is not only a stress reducer, but has been scientifically proven to boost your immune system. Many on youtube you can follow. I like meditation oasis for beginners. Especially with spring here, I've been doing listening meditations outdoors and they are a wonderful "reset" button.

• marilyn_c
    4 years ago

I would never purposely expose myself to any illness, ailment, disease....so like everyone else has said....bad idea. I am never sick. I just finished a complete physical and except for arthritis in my hands, which were mangled in accidents years ago, I have excellent health. I don't think I will get the virus. I think positive but try not to do anything foolish.

drewsmaga thanked marilyn_c
  • chisue
    4 years ago

Expressing anxiety is better than suffering in silence.

This thread illustrates the tremendous value of the KT, in good times and in bad. We need *everyone* for this community to keep working!

Re: Fever. Check your temp without fever reducers like aspirin, Tylenol. (Then TAKE them!) Supposedly, today's 'normal' is no longer 98.6F. (Mine's been 97.8F for years.) I'd be reporting anything over 101.4F to my MD.

This virus is still largely 'unknown'. We've had forecasts that up to 60% of us will get it -- and that for many who do it is a minor problem. This is NOT to discount the damage and death it will mean for hundreds of thousands of our nearly 350 million.

drewsmaga thanked chisue
  • georgysmom2
    4 years ago

If you're looking to build up immunity, wait for the shot!

drewsmaga thanked georgysmom2
  • marylmi
    4 years ago

Another vote for " bad idea" to try and expose yourself to the virus. My niece is a critical care RN downstate and she is begging people to take as many precautions as they can so hospitals don't get overloaded. I'm going on the second week of staying home but I have an appt. at the end of week for taxes so will try to keep that.

If I did all of the projects I would like to do, I could stay home for 6 months!! LOL.

drewsmaga thanked marylmi
  • Chi
    4 years ago

My temp is back down to 98.7 (without medication) so I think that's normal enough not to worry. Worrying doesn't help anyway - it won't change my plans to stay home!

drewsmaga thanked Chi
  • happy2b…gw
    4 years ago

You don't have to go to every fight you are invited to.

My father who was very scrappy as a kid and young man, gave my brother and me the same advice.

drewsmaga thanked happy2b…gw
  • graywings123
    4 years ago

A similar thought occurred to me, too, Drewsmaga. My theory for "getting it over with now" is based on what occurred during the 1918 pandemic. The second round of the disease, which came later in the year, was much more virulent than the first round. But I'm not going to do it.

drewsmaga thanked graywings123
  • sjerin
    4 years ago

Chi, if I may suggest, take your temp again in the later afternoon as that's when it's apt to go up. I'm glad you're feeling better--it's hard not to panic. In the evenings I have been feeling more tired than usual without reason and sometimes feel my chest tighten. But it's allergy season so I always hope that is the reason for the feeling.

drewsmaga thanked sjerin
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

Sadly this is exactly the sort of thoughts that spreads the virus faster. If you allow yourself to be exposed you are also allowing yourself to be a carrier and infect others. It doesn't surprise me. Americans have a mentality that NO ONE TELLS ME WHAT TO DO. Because of it HIV and STDs are running rampant. "oh well, it's part of the payment for my lifestyle". No one lives in a vacuum and the bad decision you make for yourself always impacts someone else!!

drewsmaga thanked arcy_gw
  • sleeperblues
    4 years ago

I'm envious of people that are retired. If you don't have to go out, DON'T. Pray for us healthcare workers who are on the front lines. 2 people are in my ER now being tested due to their symptoms.

drewsmaga thanked sleeperblues
  • amicus
    4 years ago

A tale of caution about purposeful exposures to 'get it over with.' My kids were born prior to the chicken pox vaccine, so they all got it one Spring. But there were a number of families whose children had not caught chicken pox randomly, and some of them decided to hold those 'chicken pox parties' that were mentioned upthread.

Very sadly, our community learned that a 5 year old here, developed a complication of encephalitis from his chicken pox infection, and died. His mother had brought her completely healthy child to a chicken pox party, to expose him, so he wouldn't get it the following year in grade one, and have to miss any school. She pleaded on the news here, that people stop purposely exposing their children to chicken pox, because sometimes a seemingly innocuous infection can have lethal complications. Such a tragedy.

drewsmaga thanked amicus
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

By Annies chart that's what I had in January - coronavirus - did I really? probably not. I had headaches which I never get, and tightness and shortness of breath when running which never ever happens (I've been running for 40 years and believe me this never happens) a light sore throat and a dry cough for 6 weeks. I know that I didn't have a cold but perhaps it was the flu. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.

But I sure wouldn't deliberately set out to get it because we don't know what the long term affects will be - especially for older people

drewsmaga thanked blfenton
  • chisue
    4 years ago

I was just reading that people who contract Covid-19 and have a light case are then passing on a stronger version of the virus (because it's mutated a bit by living within a human being). Sneaky bug!

drewsmaga thanked chisue
  • desertsteph
    4 years ago

I don't want it. I'm sick enough without it. but I'm not living in fear of it. I don't go out much normally and I won't go out more now. but maybe not less either. I'll just keep on living as I have and go with what happens.

on the good side - there should be a lot less traffic (and crazies) out there when I do to out. I hate the traffic.

drewsmaga thanked desertsteph
  • drewsmaga
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It was just a crazy thought and I'm continuing to self-distance for the social good. I don't know anyone who has it. I'm not afraid of getting it. The last time I had the flu was over 30 years ago. Daughter and her 7 and 8 yr. old kids, who I take care of for hours after school all got it one after the other this past winter (they each tested positive and had gotten flu shots earlier) and I didn't get it. I'd just as soon get exposure to this virus over with, because I think I'd have a mild case, if I even got it at ll. I'd just rather know sooner rather than later

nicole___ I've never lived in CO. I have 2 sons and their families south of Denver.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH