SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veronika_stone

Alaska White Granite Questions

4 years ago

Hi all! I’ve been browsing through the questions and comments about Alaska White granite and have learned a lot. We picked out a slab of Alaska White at the yard and I love it. The picture makes it look much darker gray than it appears in person. We plan to completely overhaul our kitchen. We already did the floors in a Tivoli Travertine vinyl plank, which had warmer beige and browns. Our cabinets will be painted white and antiqued with a brown glaze. Our paint color is called Plantation Tan, which I haven’t been super crazy about since it comes off kinda yellow in my opinion but it is a nice neutral color. We are also going to shiplap the ceiling and paint it bright white. Our island cabinets are white and we will likely refinish the butcher block top to a darker espresso stain, since I don’t think we can fit that on this slab of granite. Ideally I’d like for either a matte natural stone subway tile backsplash or a taupe/ grayish white arabesque tile.

I have some concerns that the yellows in our floor and paint clash too much with the cooler/ icy grays of the Alaska White. But I also wonder if the antiqued cabinets will provide enough of a ”break“ between the floors and walls to where it will all be cohesive.

A floor sample with my granite slab is pictured

Im also a little nervous about maintaining granite- a few of the Alaska White slabs at the yard had horrible rust stains. My slab is not from that bundle, but it makes me nervous that it will rust over time.

I’m also a little concerned about a lighter granite staining too easily. we have a salt and pepper granite countertop in our bathroom vanity and even though it’s sealed, it absorbs water easily and it has a stain from my husband’s beard oil or something 😕

Any tips or shared experience is appreciated!

Comments (11)