SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

I just started some cuttings and they are already sprouting leaves!

echolane
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I don‘t think my three week old rose hardwood cuttings should be sprouting leaves. Nevertheless, they are. What can I expect?

i took a half dozen cuttings of one of my all time favorite roses, Matangi, because I wanted to move my old plant. It was originally a cutting grown plant so it’s on its own roots. I’ve been growing it for well over 25 years so its trunks are numerous and large in diameter and I worried I might lose it if moving proved too difficult. It was quite a job to move as we had to go wide and deep but I’m quite confident it will survive, which means I’m not likely to be dependent on those sprouting cuttings. But I’m still very curious about them and wondering what to expect.

BTW, I think Matangi is quite a wonderful garden rose. I have it planted out with grasses and perennials and conifers around it and it is so colorful! It’s called a semi-double I think, its flowers are an orange red with splashes of white, one of the painted roses, and one of the many things I like so much about it is how long the flowers last. Weeks and weeks! Of course you can’t go up to them and expect a perfect rose after so many weeks, but if you don’t need a closeup view the colorful flowers lend color to the garden seemingly forever. It’s also a very healthy rose which I really appreciate since I don’t spray.

Comments (13)