SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_mir82

30" Rangetop - 4 vs 5 burners - Wolf, Viking, Thermador

Sara Mir
4 years ago

**cross-posting to Kitchens and Appliances**

Remodeling my kitchen and struggling with the range. The kitchen is not tiny but there isn't a lot of wall space due to windows and open design. We have an L-shaped space along a window (98" for sink, dishwasher, trash, small utensil drawer, and corner lazy susan) & wall (49" for the other part of the corner lazy susan and the range), plus on the other side of the kitchen, 68" of wall where the wall oven and counter-depth fridge will go. We'll also have a 60" island but I don't want to put any appliances in it as it is open to the dining room.

So. We really do not have room for anything bigger than 30" range, which will leave us with 6" on the right side and about 13" on the left, plus 25" counter from the other side of the L - the corner. We've decided to keep a wall oven for ergonomics and the ability to store our big pots and pans in drawers under the cooktop. I want a cooktop but DH really likes the industrial look of a rangetop. Fine. But I want 5 burners. :) DH is concerned that the burners on the only 5-burner 30-inch gas rangetop (Thermador PCG305) are going to be too small and crowded to be useful so we should just go for a 4-burner option. But those are just as (or more) expensive and it seems like a waste of an opportunity for another burner to me!

We typically use the following:

- Teakettle (just sits out, I guess I could replace with electric but then need to find a place for that!)

- 11" wide Cast Iron griddle that covers 2 burners (we use this daily)

- 12" cast iron pan

- 5-quart (11" wide) dutch oven

- 2-quart (7" wide) saucepan

We do want to splurge on a fancy name range so are considering Wolf and Viking over the 5-burner Thermador. The grates on the Thermador are 9" wide for a total of 27" of continuous grates. I don't know about the other 2.

If you have any of these what do you think?

Comments (11)