SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_hayden_esq

Help needed on 60" range for kitchen reno: BS/Wolf/Viking/AR/Thermador

Bill Purcell
6 years ago

Hi all:

Currently in the late planning stages of a kitchen reno and I have gotten approval from the Mrs to get a 60" range so I am pretty excited about that as I have wanted one for quite sometime and we have the room.

My top choices at the moment are BS and Wolf but I give Viking consideration as well. Heck, I am really open to anything so I have looked at Capital, American Range, and Thermador as well.

I know it is a hot button topic as there are proponents of each but I think I probably want AG instead of DF. I think I would also prefer open burners instead of closed. That narrows the playing field to essentially BS, AR, and Capital. I also would prefer that the ovens be large and similarly sized (no one large one small design). That knocks out Capital. AR is less of a known quantity than BS but is cheaper so that would be nice. The BS I think wins me over, especially the Platinum series as I do like how the burner element is in the back of the oven and how quickly that allows the oven to heat and how it promotes uniformity as well.

However, I am not sold on anything yet hence this post. While I don't think I would mind the slightly extra cleanup required by open burners, I am not dead set against closed burners. Wolf and Viking would then be possibilities. I have read multiple places that Viking quality still has not turned the corner but that it is in the process of doing so. That makes me hesitant. Also, I know that the AG Wolf ranges are red headed step children when compared to the DF ranges.

While AR is still relatively unknown residentially I am potentially willing to give them a shot.

Am I stupid to write Capital off simply because the ovens are differently sized? For most of our cooking I believe that we would benefit from two largish ovens. Those of you with different sized ovens, what do you tend to use the different sized ovens for?

The Thermador ranges at this size are DF and closed burner so I am not really seriously considering them.

Please critique/offer suggestions on my thoughts. Are my assessments of these various brands correct? It seems that out of these ranges, BS and Wolf have the greatest following on here. Why is that? Anything I should avoid?

Comments (23)