SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Closed captioning......a minor rant

I subscribe to a couple of streaming services that feature British programming. And because I typically access them via my laptop, I take advantage of the closed captioning option because the laptop sound is not great and I sometimes miss some of the dialogue because I can't hear it clearly.

My parents were British and had strong accents all their lives. And I read a lot of British novels and so am familiar with a lot of British idioms/slang and the often bizarre pronunciation of place names and proper names.

But I swear that the people they get to provide the closed captioning must have English as a second language! And have never stepped one foot on British soil!! I can't believe how badly they garble the dialogue! In some cases they don't even come close to what is actually being said. Do they not watch the actual footage to get a sense of what is going on and properly coordinate their captioning to the actual dialogue and action? Sometimes they don't even get the character names right! How hard can that be?

The blatant errors are sometimes so distracting that I find I am paying more attention to the CC than I am to what is happening on screen and I have to go back and rewatch potions of the show.

I have emailed both streaming services to remark on this and to ask them to bump up their game re: the closed captioning but to date no responses and no changes.

OK - minor rant over :-)

Comments (37)