SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

an anti-rant :-)

johnmari
15 years ago

For once I'm having a good contractor week! My plumber resurfaced (family stuff) and came by Monday to put in a Watts Intelliflow automatic washing machine shutoff in my laundry room - we're going to be stacking the w/d pretty tight to the wall and it would be almost impossible to reach a manual shutoff back there. This gadget only turns on the water at all when it senses that the washing machine is actively drawing electricity, when the machine turns off the water supply is shut off too, and it has a moisture sensor that goes on the floor for if the machine itself leaks. He had to raise his hourly rates about 15% because of the cost of fuel and supplies and apologized profusely for it, but even so the cost of the gadget plus the installation was less than the deductible on our homeowner's insurance should there be an "incident", too, and much, much less than the cost of having a floor drain put in. We're waiting for some parts so he can come back to put shutoffs on every fixture (something PO neglected to do *eyeroll*) and replace my evil horrible toilet that clogs if you look at it wrong. :-)

Electricians have been perhaps my worst bugaboo for YEARS... a really decent one who welcomes piddly little jobs, doesn't bend ya right over the table money-wise, AND doesn't P&M about old houses has been so hard to find. My plumber finally came across one that HE's happy with, who visited today to put in a new outlet/circuit for our big ole window AC (one window unit should take care of the entire downstairs), and give me an estimate for moving the very inconveniently-located dryer outlet, and discuss doing a panel expansion in the next year or so. He got the AC outlet in place in jig time, no muss, no fuss, no whining about the old horsehair plaster and lath, and that went so quickly that he said oh what the heck, let's just do the dryer outlet now, and got right to it. (One of the reasons we're sort of bustling along on the laundry room is because DH is REALLY nagging for a cat, and that's where the litterbox and such will go. The electrician's a critter person himself, so when I explained that he was just gung ho to get us one step closer to a kitty! LOL) He even patched the hole in the wall left from the old outlet, and when I said that my afternoon project was going to be patching the hole that the plumber had left from the valve installation - the wall had had to be cut back several inches to get at the plumbing - he patched that one too! Talk about going above and beyond the call of duty. I ended up being the "helper" which was actually great fun, passing tools and catching fishtape and so on, and he explained everything he was doing as he went and even seemed to welcome my interest. The bill was somewhat less than I had expected it to be which thrilled me to bits, especially given the, well, minor nightmare that darn dryer outlet turned out to be. He even gave me a HUG when he left! (Not creepy-like though.) He'll be coming back later this summer/fall to do another succession of small things - adding outlets, relocating switches, blah blah. So if anyone in SE NH, say about a half hour radius around Dover - needs a good electrician, email me.

If the weather cooperates this week, demo on the old garage and construction of the parking pad should begin next week, holiday or no holiday - DigSafe is starting to get peeved with us because we keep having setbacks which mean our dig permits run out and they have to go through the whole process again. Which reminds me, I need to have DH order the dumpster, because he knows the right guy to call.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!