SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

OT - real "ground cover" roses

jacqueline9CA
4 years ago

I decided to mark this as OT because I am one who is very concerned about cross posting with the "roses" forum. However, this is not a cross post - it is only posted on this forum on purpose, as I get the best info here re IDs of roses, and thought you all would have something interesting to say.

Story - we have about 90 feet of street frontage on our house lot, and there are a series flower beds (all of which are 6 feet deep) which take up that entire length, between the street and the sidewalk. It was all just compacted dirt and weeds when we moved in to our house 31 years ago. My DH dug up the entire length of it with a jack hammer with a shovel bit on it, and dug in amendments, and put in irrigation by running a line underneath the sidewalk. I knew nothing whatever about roses, but decided to put in some they called "ground cover" roses. Eventually I ordered several bushes each of 5 different kinds from Heirloom in Oregon (to see which ones worked), and we planted them all along the 90 length. Most of them, of course, turned out to be what are now called "shrub" roses - from 3 to 6 feet high. I was astonished, as I had an idea in my head of what "ground cover" meant. However, I liked most of them, so we kept them.

This inquiry is about 2 of the roses, which did turn out to be what I had thought of when ordering the "ground cover" roses. They are VERSY short, and spread all over. One, the white one, is I think correctly identified as 'Arctic Sunrise' (Barrett, before 1989). The other one looks and grows just like AS, but its color is a dark raspberry which fades to medium pink. I might guess it is a color sport of AS? The two roses appear to me to have the same sort of leaves (both are miniatures), and the same growth habit, and look very well intermingled (pics below). The raspberry pink one was sold to me as 'Nozomi', but it does not resemble any pictures of the actual 'Nozomi' on HMF, so that is probably wrong. 25 years after they were planted, they are going strong, and are still happy and beautiful. Any thoughts as to who the pink one might be?

Just starting to bloom:

Later -

Further away shot so you can see them as bushes:

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH