SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Where to put garage and guest parking?

weedyacres
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We recently moved into this house. It has 2 acres and a long gravel driveway with curbs on either side.

Issue #1: The PO converted the attached garage into a family room, so we only have driveway parking. I would like to park in a garage, preferably attached.

Issue #2: The driveway isn't wide enough for 2 cars to pass, or cars to park along it without blocking it, so guests park back where we do, behind the house, and then come in through the mudroom. I want them to come through the front door.

Here's a sketch of the property. 1 square = 10 feet. And north is -->

Here's a photo of the driveway area.

And one looking towards the back of the lot, at the pole barn.

For the garage, it seems like the simplest solution would be to extend the FR towards the driveway, maintaining the gable roof, and connect it in there. But we'd have to move windows.

If we put it to the pole barn side, the light pole keeps it from being very big, and we'd have to build a breezeway to connect it to the FR.

The mudroom works very well as an entry point/drop zone for us. So entering somewhere else makes the flow less ideal.

For the parking, I'm thinking pull-offs to the left or right of the driveway, like this. Black = curbing, red = cars. As shown below I think is preferable, but depending on where exactly the lot line is, we might have to put it mirror image on the other side.

Thoughts on the above, or other options?

Comments (16)