SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Our guest room looks like a garage sale!

Kendrah
4 years ago

Our guest room currently looks like a garage sale! But it gets great sun and I want to make it a nice place for me to read in the afternoons and for our many out of town guests to enjoy their stay. I want to brighten up the room a bit, keep many of my family hand-me-down pieces, but make it look less hodge podge. Please give me feedback on this plan:

1. Have built a bookshelf unit - lowers only no uppers, that runs along the whole length of the mirror wall. Maybe 38" high. Guests can put belonging on the top like a counter space. Paint the same color as the wall.

2. Because of expense, sentimentality, or practicality I want to keep the rug, dressers, mirror, and lamps. I want to get rid of the table and current bookshelf. Not sure about whether to keep the chairs or the chest at the foot of the bed. (My grandfather refinished it as a gift to my mom!).

3. Add white linen room darkening roller shades. Replace lamp shades with matching soft white shades.

4. Replace the wood chairs with an upholstered arm chair?

5. Different bedspread? This one was handmade as a gift. Maybe a grey cover for the bed and fold this at the bottom so not as much pattern shows?

Am I on the right track? Any other ideas to soften/brighten this room, make it organized, and welcoming? Our house is 160 years old. I prefer a simple, old aesthetic without getting overly gushy traditional or faux antique.

(Ignore the pinkish tinge to this pic. Colors came out strange.)

Comments (37)