Got a new Chef's Knife!

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I haven't had an actual Chef's Knife before but watching cooking shows for many years finally convinced me I really need one. So I did... Pictures to follow

SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Here's the knife

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Here's the first time I used it

All I wanted to do was wash it. Yes, it is indeed sharp. All my knives are pretty doggoned dull. After securing the bandages I proceeded to cut up a fresh pineapple and a bunch of beets. SO much easier! I have also ordered an Accusharp so hopefully some of my dull knives won't be much longer.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Very nice! Might take a little getting used to the size and weight, but I predict in short time you’ll be wondering why you waited so long.

1 Like Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
annie1992

Oh, very nice indeed.

And all that hoorah about how you cut yourself more with a dull knife. Ahem. I'm fine with my knives until Elery sharpens them to resemble scalpels. Then I cut myself, every time.

Annie

2 Likes Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
foodonastump

Ha I posted before seeing your poor fingers! Glad you didn’t let it discourage you! If I had to guess, I’ve probably cut myself more while washing knives than by actually using them.

plllog

Congratulations!! I don't keep my knives pro sharp because I can do dumb stuff, but the only time I've needed stitches was from a dull chef's knife (not mine). I was slicing an onion, it hit a hard part and skidded to the side. That wouldn't have happened with a properly sharp knife, and that's why they say dull knives are more dangerous. Dull knives can teach you bad habits, like touching the edge, or not putting the knife down while you fiddle with something because it's too dull to break your skin when tapped lightly. Sharpen to cuts easily but needs more power to take off whole fingers and enjoy your new things!!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

You are now officially a chef.

dcarch

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

The knife will definitely reside in its special box when not in use. Not just to protect it but to protect everyone who comes into the kitchen! But I'm already looking for excuses to use it LOL.

2 Likes Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Great looking knife. I need a new chef's knife and have been looking for about a month and haven't found one I like yet. I do like the rocker look of your's, Edie. Could you tell me what kind of knife it is, the length, etc, please.

sushipup1

That knife is beautiful. Am I the only person teuned on by sharo shiny objects? I think not! Enjoy1

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

WalnutCreek, it's the Imarku "I" series 8" Chef's Knife. I ordered it from Amazon. It was not the cheapest knife in their selection but it was definitely not anywhere close to the expensive ones. It has a nice balance. It came with a brochure that explains what part of the blade is best for cutting various items. And they warned in several places that the blade is sharp ... Guess I should have read that part first LOL. I saw on the brochure that they also have a meat cleaver. Might have to have a talk with Santa Claus this year!

Save    
petalique

Sharp looking knife, Edie. Knives are like other tools, you get used to how your favorite knife handles when sharp or dull. And, yes, when cleaning a very sharp knife, remember to move your hands and fingers away from the spine. I’ve done just the opposite when distracted and moving a spring along the blade.

If you put some nitrile gloves on your bandaged hand, the wound and bandages will stay dry, not get infected and soggy, and no used bandaids falling into the salad.

Congratulations!

Compumom11

Congratulations! I have some good knives too and a husband who every so often sharpens the heck out of them. I appreciate an easier slice, but tend to also cut myself. I had him soften that last back corner near the handle on one of the knives because I don't slice food with it, only the back of my finger when I'm not careful. That really helps.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I had one of the bandages fall off last night while rinsing dishes. It fell on the floor and I couldn't find where it landed. While I was looking in one spot for it along came the dog nosing around and before I could chase her away she grabbed up "something" and ate it. I never did find the bandage so .... Yuck.

My AccuSharp sharpener should be here tomorrow so maybe I'll have some more sharp knives that will cut food not fingers!

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Thank you for the info on the knife, Edie. Aren't dogs the craziest at times?

sushipup1

Is your dog a Golden Retriever, by any chance. Goldens live by two rules. 1) If it moves, chase it. 2) If it doesn't move, eat it.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
M

I was slicing an onion, it hit a hard part and skidded to the side. That wouldn't have happened with a properly sharp knife,

Always use a sharp blade when cutting onions. I find it releases a lot less irritating onion juices into the air. I can easily chop a large onion with my sharp knife without being annoyed. With a blunt knife, I have to make sure to work under the vent hood.

Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

A number of years ago, I was gifted with a Global chef's knife and it has become the most used tool in my cooking arsenal :-) I can't believe how much easier it is to prepare just about anything with this knife!! And it holds its sharp edge for a long time before needing attention.

I tend to be barefoot when in the house and the only accident I've had with it is when I dropped it.....and of course it landed on my foot! More at an angle than blade first but it still made a nasty gash!

plllog

Eek! S, that's bad. I was taught long ago, and by I know not whom, that if you drop a blade or anything sharp, jump back. I do it by instinct. I used to be worried about ricochets, but knives don't bounce. :) Nothing to be done, however, if the knife chases you. ;)

M, I agree with you! That happened in not-my-kitchen, with not-my-dull-knife. I can't sharpen other people's knives. They're usually sharp there, so I never thought to bring my own. I was in another kitchen which had a knife block on the counter. I didn't know about knife blocks back then. It had a steel. The knife had a wonky edge. I didn't think it would be a problem if I used the steel, lightly. It's not like sharpening someone else's knife. The edge bent! I was able to straighten it out, but I could have made curlicues with the edge of that knife with the matching steel!!

Interesting about the onions! I don't usually have big onion issues and thought it was because I keep them cold. Maybe it's the knife, too. :)

chloebud

If I remember, I'll chill onions for slicing/chopping and it does seem to help hold back onion crying. Agree a sharp knife can help, too.

Our daughter gave me these pink onion goggles years ago. I haven't really used them much, but they do help if I have a lot of onions to cut through.

tigereye

Gardengal, my son gave me a Global knife years ago. It is my favorite knife also.

Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours A Chef’s Kitchen at Home in San Francisco
Master chef and restaurant owner Joanne Weir is always fine-tuning her colorful, treasure-filled kitchen. Take a tour
Full Story
Before and Afters A Chef’s Kitchen Renovation in Wine Country
A team of design professionals helps transform a Sonoma County recipe tester’s family den into her dream kitchen
Full Story
Kitchen Design An Iron Chef’s Farm Kitchen Gets Some Kick
Pro appliances and improved accessibility prove the right recipe for a kitchen that now multitasks with ease
Full Story