Write your letters here

amylou321

Ever want to tell someone or a company something, but it seems trivial at the time, or unproductive, or you just do not wanna start a conflict? I do. 3 times today, in fact. Therefore, I shall revert back to elementary school, where a very kind nun told us that a good way to vent frustration without hurting any ones feelings or nagging about something small or dumb is to write a letter to that person, to get the anger out, and see if you feel better. Lets try it. I will start with my 3 letters. Feel free to write yours.

First, the trivial:

Dearest Amazon,Ebay,Google, Etc,

First let me start by thanking you for the wonderful array of products and services that would not likely have been available to me without you. I truly appreciate it. That being said, please allow me to offer some insight into my simple mind. Perhaps you would consider changing some of your methods.

Dearest internet shopping helper, when i type in something specific, like a COLOR for example, it is because i want that item in that color, okay? For example, when i type in "pink whatever," its because i want it in pink. Not turquoise, not red, not black, pink. Now, I understand that tragically, not everything comes in pink, or if it does, it may not be available on your amazing sites. However, if that is the case, just say that. And if there are products that come in that color, show them first. Do not mix in a bunch of stuff that that color is not available in, making me search through tons of listings for something that should have been on the first page, because you wanted me to see that it also comes in blue. I don't want it in blue. Or i would have searched "blue whatever,' in which case i would have been shown some blue whatevers, mixed in with a bunch of whatevers that only come in black and red. I understand that there are other colors out there, that is why i specified "pink."

Thank you for ignoring me. Carry on.

Next, the unproductive,

Dearest people crossing the parking lot in front of cars going into or out of the grocery store,

I am gonna need you to pretend like you give at least one flip about your safety and that of your children,mkay? While it is true that lawfully, you certainly have to right of way and it is technically the responsibility of those in said cars to avoid hitting someone,it might behoove you to realize that distracted driving, especially by young drivers, is an epidemic. It might help if you put your phone down long enough to look to make sure no cars are barreling toward you before you sashay in front of two of them, leaving your small children to follow behind. And you might want to pay attention to see that while you successfully made it across, your toddler is crouching down, in front of a car that should be moving, my car in fact, picking up an unknown object in said parking lot. Lucky for you, i give at least one flip about your safety and that of your children, and pay attention to make sure some entitled idiot that just walks out in front of moving cars (going both ways i might add) is not going to get a hard lesson in common sense.

You're welcome dummy.

Last, the one that might start stupid unnecessary conflict, therefore will be left unsent,

Dearest coworkers,

How are you? Doing well i hope. So, I just wanted to check in to make sure you know that when you decide to eat ALL of my ranch dressing, ALL of my mayo, and the entire jar of pickles i brought, putting the empty containers back in the fridge does not mean that you did not eat it all, you swines. Perhaps your parents could not bear to tell you some things, but luckily I do not have that issue. Take a deep breath darlings, this might hit you hard:

Santa and the tooth fairy are not real. That was the doing of your parents. Ill let you take that in before i hit you with the rest.

Are your ready? Okay, darlings, I must also tell you that the condiment/pickle/plate/cutlery fairy is not real either. So just as putting those empty containers back in the fridge does NOT undo the acts that emptied them, it also does NOT call upon some magical creature to come refill them. Someone has to buy them. Since it is none of you that do that I will challenge you to figure out who that is. I bring those things and keep them here so that they are available to me when i want them, as i would never take something that i did not buy. However, as you people seem to drink the stuff, that seems to be a pointless endeavor.

I want you to know that i do not mind if you use a little of my condiments, a plate or a plastic fork here or there perhaps, i bring the plates for ALL of us, but just HOW exactly did you people go through an ENTIRE giant bottle of ranch AND a giant jar of mayo in less than a week? How did 5 people go through 100 paper plates and 50 forks in a week? A WEEK? Are you giving them away? Taking them home? Washing your hands with it? What? And who ate my olives? And WHO opened my peanut butter and took a huge swipe out of it with their finger? In what barn were you raised where if you KNOW you didn't buy something, and it is on MY shelf that is dedicated to MY stuff (as you have, yours is empty i see) its okay to open it, eat it, and put it back like nothing happened? Should i just be grateful that you put it back? Oh, wait, do you put it back to remind me that "we" need mayo and ranch and pickles and olives? How kind. I remember when i got that very kind email AND text on my days off that "we" need some more of the wonderful bath and body works hand soap that i bring because the company supplied stuff smells like a dead rotting skunk. I was at least grateful that i was reminded to bring some for myself. Oh, that's funny, this bottle of hand soap was almost full when i went on my four days off, perhaps there is a leak in it that would account for the diminished contents.

And I know full well i had a FULL BOTTLE of ibuprofen here last month. Have you seen it? It had my name on it. There IS an Ibuprofen bottle with my name on it here, but this one only has 5 pills in it, so there must be some mistake, right?

I am writing this in response to some snide comments i hear about how "everyone knows" that i have forks and plates and my hand soap and other things locked in my own personal locker for my own use. I want you all to know that yes, it is true, and i also wish to hear your opinions on why that is a problem. Whats in yours? Is it something that i might want to use but don't wanna pay for? How dare you! Even if you put out some of whatever it is you bought for everyone to partake in,(as i do because i am not a jerk), how dare you put something you bought back so that you, the selfish brute who paid for it, might have some of it when you get here. You need sensitivity training. Sharing is Caring.

Swines.

Add yours below. I feel MARVELOUSLY better, and no one got their feelings hurt. Win Win, Thanks Sister Mary Katherine.

SaveComment100Like24
Comments (100)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I will sign the one to Amazon, EBay and so on. Add trying to search for a specific size. May that be sheets or clothes. At times there might be the option on the left side to narrow it dow. Not that it always works.

1 Like Save     Thanked by amylou321
roxanna7

Amylou, your letters are terrific! If it weren't way past my bedtime and I were mentally alert just now, I'd love to write some of my own. Maybe tomorrow?!

amylou321

Anytime, roxanna. My post and I are here for you anytime.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Two categories for me:

First, matters that really need attention and/or that I can't change myself but for which it's reasonable to ask someone else who I suspect can, when doing so would benefit me in an important way (I can't accept as is) AND

Second, everything else.

First category, I act on. Second category, I move on from and don't give them another thought. Most things are in the second category.

Try it.

Save     Thanked by amylou321
Elmer J Fudd

Second category. Sorry. If you get the approach, there's no need to vent. If you think it's funny, then have fun.

The idea isn't original with me - there's a book - Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and It's all Small Stuff.

amylou321

Right on cue.....

20 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

Dear Parking Space Crowder:

I can't thank you enough for parking so close to the driver's side door of my car the other day that I had to go around to the other side and climb in from the passenger side door. I really needed the extra exercise and the contortions involved were better and more strenuous than any of the yoga moves that I do each morning during my workout. Thanks to you, I may add crawling across the passenger side, over the console and arranging my body into the driver's seat to my exercise routine!

I was so thrilled that I wrote you a note on a napkin (the only piece of paper I had at the time) to let you know how much I appreciated your parking job.

Dear Parking Space Hog:

You may not realize this, but the other day, you managed to take up not one, not two, not three, but four parking spaces! I was impressed as I haven't seen anyone do that before, not even someone pulling a big a** travel trailer or driving one of those massive motor homes. Good job!

You did such a stellar job of parking in the very crowded parking lot that there was no space for me to park my car. But, that's ok. It's good for me to walk half a mile from my car to the store and another half mile from the store to my car. Just think how many extra steps I got in that day!

Boy, between you and Parking Space Crowder, I'm going to be in the best shape of my life if this keeps up!

Sincerely,

15 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
desertsteph

amy, I love your letters. I'm with ya on the amazon, W or whatever other shopping website. I just hate it when I'm searching for a food product and it brings up 500 pages of options including underwear, tools, kitchen gadgets and tricycles.

rather than write my own letters that would start out with 'you blooming idiot...', can I just make a list of things that tick me off and post it for you to write up? you have a great talent for that.

amylou321

How about starting with, "Dearest idiot" ? It confuses the offenders.

6 Likes Save    
aok27502

Dear old guy in the old Ford pickup,

I recently had the pleasure of driving behind you during part of my trip into town. I'm sure you were so busy admiring the scenery that you neglected to notice several 55 mph speed limit signs. Now I'm not a young whippersnapper, I've been driving for quite a few years. I understand that that sign represents the highest speed we are supposed to drive. However, the General Public tends to regard this as the speed we expect traffic to flow.

I understand that when you moved to this area, probably back after the second World War, this was a two-lane country road which saw a few cars per day. Unfortunately, growth has come to meet you, and this road is now a major thoroughfare, albeit still two lanes. Most of us are using it because we need to get somewhere. I have learned to adjust my travel time to account for longer lines at the stop lights, but I still operate on the assumption that the traffic will be flowing at the speed limit. When you are traveling 40 mph in a 55 mph zone, you should not be surprised that people get annoyed with you. Perhaps glance in your mirror occasionally, you will probably notice that you're leading a parade.

If you speed up slightly, you'll have a few extra minutes to visit with your buddies at the hardware store.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
nicole___

Dear insurance company,

I've never filed a claim, but you keep raising MY rates because others have.

Dear insurance company,

It's nice that your so knowledgeable and successful that you decided to retire and leave a young, knows nothing person in your office to handle your successful business. This rep. that I now deal with has made so many errors on my new policy that I receive paperwork almost daily with changes that generate bills or refunds.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
happy2b…gw

Here are mine

Dear Middle Aged Ladies with Cell Phones.

Please consider your role in exacerbating a situation that occurred when an older lady told you that you were breaking a rule because your lounge chairs were blocking the walkway at the pool. Instead of moving your chairs, you made a comment and pulled out your cellphones to film the exchange which ensued. Why did you not put your phones away and stop filming when it was obvious that the person you were filming was upset about it and told you to stop?

Dear Older Lady,

Why did you have to come across so gruffly when your way was blocked by several lounge chairs at the pool when asking for more room? Why did you not think of going around another way or speaking to a pool manager? Why did you not think to move away when the filming would not stop?

4 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
ladypat1

Dear Parent,

thank you for coming to conference. However it is not helpful to tell me, with your child sitting beside you, that you never did well in school either and it didn’t hurt your life any. I can see that in your toothless grin and beer breath and 3 inch long nails.

Dear Parent,

Do you know your child is late to my first hour every day, and then sleeps through my class? Oh he is on his phone all night and you can’t do anything about it? And when you get up at noon you find he didn't come to school?

Hmmm let’s do a little problem solving here. Can you possibly take his phone away at 9 pm and get him up at 6 am to get ready for School? It is called parenting.

bpath reads banned books too

Dear Standard Poodle owners of the neighborhood,

I want to thank you for bringing me joy. Having grown up with a Standard, it delights me to see the Duke and Duchess sitting nobly in their chosen spots (in the middle of the front walk and at the corner of the stoop, respectively), to see Coco and Loco frolicking in their driveway, to greet Cafe au Lait and his young mistress as they walk the lanes, and to meet our newest “neighbor”, whom we haven‘t “named“ yet but I’m sure it will have something to do with being stubborn.

And neighborhood owners of the -oodles and -poos? Ain’t nothing like the real thing, baby!

(because sometimes you want to send good tidings lol)

7 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Elizabeth

Dear dog walking neighbors,

First of all, let me say how much I admire your determination to take a walk together each morning, bright and early. I have seen you in bitter cold weather and blazing sun enjoying your walk and the view of the lake with your two enormous dogs. I am no spring chicken either and I can see that you make a great effort to walk about a mile or two each morning together.

The love you have for your dogs is amazing. You were so tolerant when they dragged you down the road even on icy days on their 6 foot browsing leashes. I sometimes cringed in fear that you would take a fall. Your solution to being dragged on these leashes was to add another length to the leash and now they proceed 8 or 10 feet in front of you. Your choice, I mind my own business there. I preferred my dogs walking at my side. I guess you are giving them "options" here. One of the the options you provide them with is the skill to retain a large amount of urine each day to deposit on my wooden mailbox posts. You so politely pause and wait for their double delivery. Though I don't imagine you need to pause or coach them anymore as the smell and the staining would lead them right to the posts.

I wonder if it has occurred to you that we are clearly able to see this event every day and that It is beyond insulting. You are literally saying *bleep* on you.

So perhaps you should lose the "better than thou" nose in the air attitude you display in the neighborhood because you have shown us all who you really are.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Feathers11

Oh, I love these! Thanks for the chuckle. I can relate to each one.

eta, ok I'll add mine, because it took place just this morning, and I really need to let it go. No marriage advice needed, please.

Dear husband,

I appreciate how clean you keep our vehicles, how tidy the garage is, and how, in general, you are mindful of the work it takes to keep our house in working order. You don't leave your socks on the floor, you don't leave the toilet seat up, you put your things away.

I'd just like to remind you that dish fairies do not exist. At least at our house. So when you decide on a late night snack of macaroni and cheese, you must clean the pot in which you made it, and the spoon you used to stir it, yourself. While I understand you may have been too tired to do so last night, or may have forgotten while you were watching whatever action movie was blaring from the big screen, you've been up this morning for 3 hours, and the dirty pot and spoon were still sitting in the sink 30 minutes ago, when I decided to clean them myself.

Even with dry, crusty, old mac and cheese stuck to them, it took less than 2 minutes to wash them.

But it is a sunny, beautiful Sunday here, and in the spirit of keeping it peaceful around here, I'll let you go on believing that dish fairies are at work.

(whew! That felt good.)

13 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
nicole___

Dear grocery store checker,

I searched the mark down bins for grain free cat food, which is rarely on sale this low and now your ringing them up FULL price. Is it because it's too much trouble to scan the 50% off tag? I asked "how many" cans have you rung up and you said , "I don't know". When counted, only eight more than the eleven I actually purchased. Really? Correcting this is a problem for you?

frogged

To the water cooler bandits, how wonderful that our employer provides us with clean cold/hot water to drink, when the tap water has been declared non potable. What is not so wonderful is to watch you glug glug glug your gallon size water bottle several times a day often when you leave for the day. Leaving the cooler empty for all the other folks who also work here. Not sure who decreed you were to never had to replace the empty bottle you drained. But please don't change the world needs more selfish entitled lazy tools like you in the wold oh wait no we dont. Perhaps you could extend yourself beyond the ends of your needs and recognise there are others in this world who deserve the basic respect and courtosey it won't kill you I promise.

marilyn_c

(This to a neighbor who has an acre that is surrounded on 3 sides by our property).

Dear crazy lady who lives next door.

Thank you for telling me the other day that my donkeys were out.

Jody had already met you, and I may seem a little distant, but I see you watching me out your window every time I walk across the pasture.

He told me you said Jimmy Carter sent a helicopter to pick you up and take you to Disney World. What a sweet gesture that must have been.

I am sorry that the fox sitting on the fence post jumped out and bit you on the neck and wouldn't let go. So glad you were finally able to free yourself from his grip!

The snake you saw that had humps on his back, like a sea serpent, must have been terrifying. Even someone, like myself, who has no fear of snakes, would probably have been scared of that.

I am sorry someone stole your solid gold candlesticks from Buckingham Palace. You can't trust anyone any more.

You are fortunate that you lived through that car wreck where you went out the back windshield, although you were able to hang onto the frame with the girl driving, who tried to speed away at 70 mph. You did end up in the hospital but you were able to run away, although you were naked. I hope it was summer time because you said you managed to get to a friend's house 100 miles away, still naked. I hope they gave you some clothes.

I hope you didn't take offense or I seem unneighborly when I told you I am busy and don't have a lot of time to spend with people, and I don't want to be around people who do drugs. I know you told me that the 80 yr old, Christian lady, that we bought the place from, used to smoke crack with you. She didn't strike me as a crackhead, but, what do I know, and you told me everyone here does drugs. I really can't afford it....buying horse feed, you know. But thanks for telling me.

23 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
dedtired

I could add my signature to several of these, including a thank you note to all dog walkers who have contributed to the demise of the grass around my fence posts. However, this is the one I need to write:

Dear New Neighbor,

How brave of you to buy the rickety old house on the next street that sold for half the price of surrounding houses and was on the market for four years. I commend your bravery although I have yet to see any signs of improvement over there

I also understand your pride in your sons accomplishments as a drummer. However, you seem to have failed to notice that the aforementioned house is not soundproof. When your son whales away on his drum set, i cannot only hear it but my entire house throbs along with it. I know other neighbors have mentioned this to you but yet it continues. I was taken aback to learn your son is an adult, does not live with you yet comes to your house and therefore our neighborhood, to play his drums. Could it be that his neighbors have complained? Do you think we, unlike his neighbors, are deaf?

Kindly cease and desist or purchase some soundless drum pads or whatever and do not force me to make a complaint to our township regarding disturbing the peace. I would so prefer to live in harmony ( ha ha) with all my neighbors.

blfenton

Good Morning everyone :)

Dear Invisible Pedestrian

When I leave the house at 6:40 am to go to the gym it is dark outside, more to the point, it is pitch black outside and where we all live, often raining. When you are walking your dog or running to the bus stop and wearing black from head to toe you are INVISIBLE, you cannot be seen. It is pitch black and you are dressed head to toe in black.

Thank-you to that person who was running across the street and had red soles on his running shoes - it's the only reason I saw you. /s

Thank-you to the person who was walking their dog and whose name tag glinted in the street lamp - it's the only reason I saw you. /s

Thank-you to the person who walking their golden doodle and I thought they were alone. You crossed right in front of me. I was going to stop and see if the dog was okay because you were INVISIBLE but fortunately, the dog walked in the light of the supermoon and I noticed him and his leash stretched out in front of him. I assume you were there but I never did see you.

One thing that you all have taught me is that I no longer wonder why so many pedestrians are hit by cars and I no longer wear black coats.

Yours truly

Your neighbour

11 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
dedtired

Blfenton, a pet peeve of mine , too. Even in the afternoon with the sun in my eyes, I cannot see you dressed head to to in black and gray. Thank heavens for bouncy white dogs.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
lgmd_gaz

To all you cell phone users, get off the damn phone and pay attention to what is going on around you in the moment.

18 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
dedtired

Also to cell phone users/ drivers:

Dear First Person in Line At The Light,

Kindly look up from your phone long enough to notice that the light turned green and it’s time to proceed. We don’t like having to honk to wake you up. We prefer not to have to wait for another cycle of the light due to your inattention.

PS, best of all, put the phone away while driving.

tigereye

My favorite bumper sticker, "Shut Up and Drive!".

marilyn_c

Or...Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Debby

Dear Customer:

Please refrain from using your cell phone at the cash register. It's rude and inconsiderate. As a cashier, if I was on my phone having a private call while you wanted my attention, you would call my head office to complain. So please don't talk on your phone and yet wonder why I didn't ask if you needed a bag or had a loyalty card. I didn't want to interrupt your private conversation. While you're at it, please don't leave your empty or half used coffee cup on the shelf in the store. If you give it to an employee, they'll be happy to toss it out, but leave it on the shelf and we will talk about you in the lunch room. Also, if you don't want that bucket of ice cream, don't leave it in the shampoo section to melt. Either put it back in the freezer or again: give it to an employee and we will put it back for you. Also, the toys in our store are for sale, not for your children to play with while you shop. Once they're out of the box and played with, they're used items and nobody want to pay full price for a used item. And odds of your child putting it back in the box and back to the shelf is small, so don't let them play. They can look but shouldn't touch. It can be done: ask my parents... While I'm at it, when you walk in the store and I say "hello!" a smile, nod or a hello back is nice. I'm not going to force you to buy anything you don't want. It's just a simple "hello" that we do to acknowledge your presence. And if you ask a employee if we have something in the backroom, and they go back and check and say, "Sorry, we don't have any!" don't ask a second, third or forth person to check, triple check and quadruple check. It won't be there. And yes: we know you asked more than one person. If we ask you if you need a bag, don't get snarky and say, "how else do you expect me to bring these home?" I can't see inside your purse or pockets and it's amazing what some people will do to avoid paying a whole nickle for a plastic bag. A simple yes or no will suffice.

Thank you for letting me vent. This felt good!

tigereye

Dear retail stores,

Thank you for the handicap parks. There are a lot of people that really need them. I also don't mind the grocery pickup parks that are off the side for the people that shop online and you bring the groceries to their car out of the side door.

However, STOP IT with all the specialty parks.

Online pickup when they have to go into the store and bring it out. You put those right in the front door. News flash, I also have to go in to get what I want and come back out.

Wounded veteran. Three other kind of veteran parks. I had a Dad and have a son, both veterans with Purple Hearts. He doesn't use the parks. Sick children, Police partners. (news flash, if the police are on a call they will not park there, they pull in front of the store.) Employee of the month. and on and on. I never see anyone park in those spots,

How about we go back to just having parking spaces for everyone.

DawnInCal

Regarding traffic lights, I used to work with a guy who would say, "it doesn't get any greener than that!" when the driver in front didn't start moving after the traffic light turned gree.

mdln

Dear Patients:

- The Emergency Department is good at taking care of EMERGENCIES. Examples: difficulty breathing, heart attack, stroke, seizure, dizziness, altered consciousness, severe pain, fracture, laceration, trauma.
- Emergencies usually occur SUDDENLY.
- "If I don't feel better tomorrow, I'm going to emergency," probably indicates it is NOT an emergency.
- The ED is not a primary care or specialists office.
- If you've had "low back pain for 6 months," or another problem for days/ weeks/ months/ years, coming to the ED to "finally get it taken care of," is not a good use of health care resources, and NOT likely to get you the diagnosis/cure you want. See a primary care provider or specialist.
- Learn how to manage COMMON viral (upper respiratory & gastrointestinal) infections.

tigereye

How do you deal with a husband who is dying? Both when you sent him to the Doc-In-The-Box on Friday, and then on Sunday at 3am when you had to go to the emergency room? Something viral, but not flu A or B?

Should you mention, that you caught the same thing 2 days later and still cooked, cleaned, hubby sit, and washed clothes?

chisue

Dear Entitled One -- Hanging on my bumper will not get you to the end of this half-mile stretch of road faster. We will both reach the light that just turned red at the same time. I know you resent my slowing from driving 45 in this 40 MPH zone.

Actually, I realized your Vast Importance earlier, since you didn't need to stop at that stop sign near the school. You might be the same driver who nearly rear-ended me yesterday as I slowed to turn into my own driveway -- signal activated. BTW, the speed limit on this 'country lane' is 25 MPH, not 40. (I guess your Super Powers can detect a deer before it emerges from the heavy vegetation.)

jupidupi

Dear Perfume Wearer, How lovely of you to help me lose weight! That smell that you decided to share with everyone unfortunate enough to be in your presence touched off my migraine, and the extreme pain made me throw up. I wish you hadn't worn it around my friend, though. She's going through chemo and you also made her nauseous from your special scent, and it's really not good for her to lose any more weight. Next time, I'll be sure to share a special scent that goes with your perfume when I vomit on you.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
aok27502

*to continue from tigereye*

Dear husband,

Please never use these two phrases together:

"Honey, I'm sorry you're sick."

"What's for supper?"

17 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Lukki Irish

Dear obnoxious neighbor from across the street,

Once again your beautiful German Shorthaired Retriever crossed the (busy) road so it could explore and mark our yard, he even left another gift for us to clean up. I saw your wife walking down the driveway and just assumed she was coming for the dog, but no. She got the mail and waltzed back inside. I sincerely hope that the dog doesn’t get hit one day but I doubt you’d care if he does. As for the gifts he likes to leave, I think that it would only be fair that I return them to you and promise that we will do that the next time it happens.

Dear Amazon Driver....

I want to thank you for ramming the back of your van into our beautiful Blue Spruce tree. Not only did you manage to break all of the lower branches on one side, you even ripped them entirely from the trunk! So much for cleaning and salting our 150 ft driveway so you’d have an easier time pulling in and out. We also saw all the tire marks you left through the yard. We’re guessing that you couldn’t resist driving down our hill and into the street over the curb for kicks. How fun! Lastly, can we also thank you for not bothering to let us know what happened? It was so much more fun to find your surprise not 10 minutes later as I was leaving the house to run errands.

Kathsgrdn

Dear ER doctors and nurses,

I apologize for patients who show up with no symptoms or completely different ones that they were triaged for. I have no explanation for this.

I am sorry for all the patients we sent you that had no real problems, but who triaged out needing emergency care. I have no way of knowing which ones are really sick or not, over the phone.

Dear Patient,

I am a nurse, which means I can't prescribe medication for you over the phone. Yes, I am a RN. Only doctors can prescribe medication. They are also the only ones that can give you medication advice. I realize you don't care that I can lose my license by telling you what over-the-counter meds you can use, but I do. I also realize that some nurses will and have told you all kinds of things, but they shouldn't have. We have no doctors here after hours, so there is no doc for me to turn to and ask that question. No, they shouldn't be available at midnight on a Saturday night.

I realize you are mad that your doctor discontinued your pain medication but there is nothing I can do about it. Screaming and cussing at me, making threats, isn't going to help you.

Why are you calling for the third day in a row? Your doctor's nurse told you to go to the ER 3 days ago. Last night, we told you the same thing. I'm telling you again to go.

No hospital provides transportation to the ER. If you need an ambulance you have to call 911.

No I can't send your boyfriend's, father's, son's, daughter's, friend's, neighbor's doctor a note without the person's permission. It is a privacy violation for me to even get in that person's chart without their okay. If you feel in danger from that person you need to call the police. We are here to triage symptoms for patients. We are not the police.

I have to say some of those calls at the end of the last letter are hard. The last call like that I got, the woman screamed at me the entire conversation. She didn't want to hear anything I had to say.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

To all you lazy idiots that think it's a good idea to leave your empty cart parked in the handicapped ♿parking spaces.

STOP 🛑 IT!

Do you think it's easy for a handicapped person to get out of the vehicle and move YOUR cart?

NO it's Not!

To those people who are so caring and make a point of moving those carts out of the handicapped spots and putting them where they belong. You are saints! 🙏

Then there's the extremely rude ignorant people who insist on parking directly in the curb cut marked spots. If you are blocking the curb cut I can't get to the store in my chair. I ask you please move and you acknowledge me with your middle finger. No I was not asking for your IQ level, I already had a good idea of it. So know that I am taking a picture of your license plate and the curb cut you are parked in along with the handicapped sign. Oh and of course your middle finger salute. Hope you enjoy the mail 📬you will be getting. Bye 🦃

blfenton

raven - thanks for the PSA. I always put my carts away but will now notice if any are in the handicapped spots and put them away as well. The handicapped spots are right across from the cart hut so there is no excuse for that kind of laziness or ignorance.

Kathsgrdn

Ravencajun, went to Wal-mart yesterday evening and was putting my cart in the cart place when I realized it wasn't happening. Too many stupid, lazy people had put their carts at the front end all crooked, none of them actually inside the corral. REALLY?! Walked around to the other end and put my cart away. No, I didn't fix it. I have in the past. Had to return to that place about 10 minutes later because the one frozen meal I bought was leaking rice from the package when I got home and pulled it out of the bag.

OutsidePlaying

Dear Surgery Patient,

Please ask most of your family to stay home the day of your surgery. Your spouse is fine, maybe one other person, depending on circumstances of the surgery and how much hand-holding might be needed. I find I am perfectly fine just reading a book to keep my mind occupied while I wait.

If day surgery or a relatively minor procedure, please let little Absorbine Jr go on to school that day. The kiddos don’t need to be in the waiting room and miss school and pass along all those school germs to the rest of us.

And for those in the waiting room, you don’t need to ask me if I’m waiting for someone to have surgery. (I want to say, No, I’m just here for the crappy coffee, lousy tv, and sit a few hours in this uncomfortable chair!).

I love this thread, and agree wholeheartedly with every single situation. I find myself nodding my head at all of them. Thanks for letting me vent. Human nature never ceases to amaze.

grapefruit1_ar

Dear Neighbors,

i know that you have noticed the double lot here in our downtown. with the pretty plantings and well manicured grass. I know that you do not own the lot. I know that you have a dog but do not have a yard.

I KNOW this because my husband and I own the lot. You have chosen to bring your dog to the lot for his/her pooping pleasure. Apparently you also do not own any bags. I know how to count, and there are currently 30-40 piles of fermenting poop on our lot. What do you think is going to happen to this poop? I really hope that you step in the poop while looking for a clear spot for the next deposit.

You have most likely noticed the big, ugly No Tresspassing sign that is erected there now. How sad for the neighborhood kids who would use the lot to play ball or throw frisbees. You level of ignorance is appalling!

dedtired

Grapefruit, you really need to mail that letter, or wave it under their noses!

im enjoying this thread. Evidently we all live with a burr under our saddles. It’s kind of comforting to know I am not the only one occasionally seething inside. Feels good to,get it out.

colleenoz

I think grapefruit should bag up all the little gifts and drop them on the dog owner’s doorstep... whether s/he sets them on fire as well is up to him/her.

grapefruit1_ar

Ded and Colleen, the problem is.....I do not know who is doing it! I know that at least a couple of the perps live in nearby rentals. I do not live in that neighborhood but others have seen them come from the rentals. I would LOVE to make some deposits!....with interest.

blfenton

grapefruit - the use of the word"perps" made me laugh. Now, are you referring to the dog or the dogs owner.

colleenoz

Funny you should mention that, Raven. I was shopping on Friday and noticed two shopping trolleys abandoned in the handicapped parking spot near my car. Now, I really hate finding shopping trolleys in the regular parking bays, but that really irked me, because as you say, my first thought was , "Just how do the ignorant gits that left those there think some poor handicapped person is going to get those trolleys out of the bay to park?"

So I grabbed them and wheeled them off to a better place.

I really dislike inconsiderate people.

share_oh

Dear Recipe Bloggers:

I'd really like to see your recipes WITHOUT having to scroll down thru the 100 photos you deem necessary along with the paragraphs of how to do the most basic of cooking tasks.

The blogs I like the best have a "jump to recipe" option right at the top of the page. If there's a difficult step then it is my choice to go back up and read thru your cooking essay, which probably includes info about your children, your husband, your dog, your daily life, etc. which, sorry, I don't know you and I really don't care about!

10 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
rob333 (zone 7a)

Mine would be a short memo:

Dear Jay Walker,

Yes, yes, pedestrians have the right of way, but there are still laws you're required to follow. Crossing the street doesn't mean everywhere all the time. If you step into moving traffic, going against the light, and not using the designated crosswalk, you're asking for trouble. Yes, cars have the obligation to do their best to allow you to go, but you have the responsibility not to be a dangerous traffic hazard because the need arose in you to cross the street the moment you wanted. Please, follow the pedestrian laws. Realize cars can't stop instantly, and those laws exist for you as well as us. We have to share the road, so be safe my friend (or, here, be safe you visitor to our great city)!

P.S. Even our state statute starts out with this same statement. HA!

"Under Tennessee law, pedestrians have the right of way at all
intersections and driveways. However, pedestrians must act responsibly,
using pedestrian signals and sidewalks where they are available. When
crossing the road at any point other than a marked crosswalk or unmarked
crosswalk at an intersection, a pedestrian has a statutory duty to
yield the right of way to all vehicles on the roadway. It is the duty of
pedestrians to look before starting across a highway, and in the
exercise of reasonable care for their own safety, to keep a timely
lookout for approaching motor vehicle traffic. On roadways where there
is no sidewalk, pedestrians should always walk facing traffic."

3 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
DawnInCal

Dear Recipe Reviewer:

When you give a recipe a bad review and a one star rating and then proceed to say that you omitted ingredients, substituted ingredients and didn't follow the cooking instructions, you have created an entirely different dish than the one you are reviewing.

May I suggest that rather than giving the original recipe an unfair and inaccurate review that isn't at all helpful to the person reading the review, you post your new modified recipe to your own blog. That will allow others to change/modify your recipe and leave you a negative review.

And, for those who post a negative, one star review and share that they didn't even try to make the recipe, but they know they won't like it from looking at the list of ingredients - please, just scroll on by and go take a selfie or something.

Sincerely,

19 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
DawnInCal

Dear Crosswalk Runner:

Thank you for nearly mowing me down while I was crossing the street the other day. I had to jump backwards to avoid ending up under your car and turning into road kill. Between you, Parking Space Crowder and Parking Space Hog, it's amazing how much exercise I'm getting when I venture out these days; in fact, I may just give up my morning workout!

Yes, I realize that irresponsible pedestrians who act as Rob described above are a menace to society, but for those of us who do look both ways and cross in the sidewalk, please put your phone down and pay attention to what is going on around you. I really would like to live to see another day and to find out what new exercise is going to be added to my workout routine tomorrow.

Sincerely,

rob333 (zone 7a)

I hear ya Dawn! They're screwing up traffic in downtown is what I'm talking about. This isn't on my home streets. That, they get right. It's bad enough traffic, so we don't need more to muck it up. It's right around the honky-tonks and people who are barhopping, so I bet, their judgement is a "little" off.

amylou321

Dearest DawninCal,

Thank you for making me snort my diet root beer up my nose with your "go take a selfie or something" line. The carbonation shooting through my nasal cavity made me feel ALIVE! LOL!!!

9 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

For all the medical personal posters above,

I heartily agree that the ER is only for true, life-threatening emergencies but....

Recently I had a bad illness, I was guzzling water by the gallon and taking fever reducers every two to four hours and it barely put a dent in the fever. (there was no runny nose, sore throat or cough to treat) So after five days of fevers with no sign of improvement my hubby took me to the Doc-in-the-Box.

There the Physician called for an ambulance and had me taken to the ER. There I received multiple bags of saline, remember I've been drinks large amounts of water but was still dehydrated.

So occasionally a sick person has no choice but to go to the ER. :(

DawnInCal

Hey, Amy. Nothin' like some fizz up the nose to perk a person up!

patriciae_gw

My pet

Dear shopping mom with the kid in the cart and the free range kiddie wandering around your car while you put your groceries away. Which of all of these is more important to you, your groceries or your children? Put the kids away first, please. I never wanted or had children but I would never forgive myself if I accidentally squashed one of yours.

woodrose

Raye Smith, it sounds like you did have a life-threatening emergency. I don't understand why you waited five days to get help.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Boy!! There are some seriously PO'd people out there!! I am a pretty much a go with the flow sort of person so it takes a lot to get me riled (although a few of your thoughts/experiences would get me steamed up as well :-) here is my letter........

Dear Mr. Know-It-All (rarely is it a Ms. K-I-A):

First, you are not!! Unless you have a degree in the topic at hand or work in that field on a full-time basis, you have only a cursory understanding at best....like 99% of the rest of us. So please do not attempt to overwhelm us with your perceived exceptional knowledge base and that accompanying sense of superiority. It really does not exist except in your mind and your constant harping on your "vast experience" or repeating what people you know say or relying on some book as if it was the Gospel is hugely annoying. You have no idea what sort of background, education or actual practical experience in the field those you are berating and being condescending towards may have but they know and are laughing at you because of the assumptions you make! You are not always right - no one is - and acting like you are the final authority on pretty much anything is tiresome and childish, as is your endless persistence on having the last word. It is unlikely you would ever read this or recognize yourself in it if you did and I doubt you will ever change but I feel 100% better just having written this.........

17 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Olychick

Lol!

DawnInCal

Gardengal, I used to work with a know it all. My co-workers and I started referring to him as Ike (I Know Everything). One day, our boss overheard us talking about Ike and said, "who is Ike?" We told him who we were talking about and he laughed so hard, I thought he was going to pass out. :-)

DawnInCal

You know, I was thinking about this thread today while I was outside working to clear brush and thin trees. I find that to be a great time to think because it's mindless work.

Anyway, the conclusion I came to is that this thread is a healthy and constructive way to express our frustrations at mostly minor annoyances and to then let that frustration go. I have laughed so hard at many of the letters that have been shared here and we all know that laughter is good for the soul.

Besides that, I was thinking that all of us do annoying things and if we recognize ourselves in any of these scenarios, it could help us to become better people.

Thank you, Amy, for this fun and productive exercise!

18 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
OutsidePlaying

I too think it is so productive. We can take a good look at ourselves and make sure we aren’t the sinner in any situation. I like to think I am polite and a good citizen when out and about interacting with people, but you never know what perception others have. Anyone can have a bad day or get distracted and slip up. I know I must have in some way or another. Far from perfect.

Elmer J Fudd

The opposite of misogyny is misandry, which is a hostility toward and tendency to belittle males. The vast, vast majority of participants in this forum are female and it plays well to some but there's too much of that going on. It says more about those expressing such views than their intended targets.

Lucille

No one here has belittled males. We have described overbearing,condescending, know-it-all behavior as something that we do not appreciate. It was not directed toward men only.

DawnInCal

I'm not seeing any posts directed at males either unless one counts my post about Ike, the old guy who drives too slowly and the one about the husband who leaves dirty dishes in the sink. The majority of the posts were pretty generic or non gender specific as far as I can see.

DawnInCal

Dear Line Cutter:

Do you see that long line of people behind you? Yes, that one.

Those people have been patiently waiting their turn to get through customs, check out at the store, buy their movie tickets, board their plane, etc.

Your sob story about why you should get to go first isn't generating any sympathy. Just because you think you are special and should not have to wait, does not mean that the rest of us agree. Please take your rightful place at the end of the line and stop trying to insert yourself at the head of the line.

Sincerely,

DawnInCal

Shoot, I forgot the other one...I guess it must not bug me very much! heheh!

aok27502

Dear Line Cutter's older sibling,

We all realize that you are very important, and that your destination is much more urgent than anything anyone else is doing. So when you sneak up in that right lane at the stoplight thinking you'll zoom ahead and squeeze in, well, good luck with that. You know as well as we do, that lane ends in a couple of hundred yards. It ends every day. And every day you zoom to the head of the line and elbow your way in.

Because you are so important..

greenshoekitty

Dear owner of the house I rent( and have for the last 8 years) . Two years ago you said you were thinking of selling and might we like to buy. We replied to the rental people we would. Have not heard any more from you until a letter last month stating you are thinking of selling in May or June, and to please call her at a number . If you ask and get a reply, it would really be nice if you answered. That way we would know if I need to move , or if we can agree on a price. Thank you.

bob_cville

>Dear Line Cutter: .....

Ouch. Only because that was me today. Although I guess I didn't so much cut into line, I explained my sob story and asked whether any or the 12 or so people ahead of me would mind if I jumped to the head of the line.

DawnInCal

Dear Bob:

We will cut you some slack since you were polite and asked if you could move to the head of the line rather than pushing your way past those who were waiting and firmly planting yourself at the head of the line.

We are also assuming that if the people in line had said no, you would have accepted their response and gone straight to the end of the line rather than being belligerent and refusing to move.

Sincerely,

Kathsgrdn

Dear other pain clinic patients in a small waiting room full of people,

I wish you would have rescheduled your appointment after you quit coughing, especially the ones who never covered your mouths when you were coughing. Oh, and also the woman who was filling out paperwork right across from me with her husband, loudly saying that she just got out of the hospital with the flu as she coughed and never once covered her mouth, thanks a bunch.

While at work tonight, I started sneezing, had a scratchy throat and by the end of the shift I had a headache. I probably had a cold coming on long before I met you all in that waiting room today, but now I'm wondering if I'll get the flu too.

I did tell the nurses in the back room when they were questioning me that everyone in their waiting room was coughing. One of them asked me if there were masks out there and I told her no. She left, hopefully to put some out there, not that anyone would use them. I mean, if you don't even attempt to cover your mouth when you cough, you aren't going to put on a mask. By the time I went in the back there were about 12 other people in there and all but me and maybe 3 other people weren't coughing.

whatsayyou18

Dawn, "IKE"....too funny! There's always one.

Line cutting. I believe the only time I've done it was after arriving at LAX en route to Tahiti sans DH's luggage. The airline representative strongly suggested the luggage would not catch up with us in time for our cruise and recommended we take a cab to a nearby Target to replenish the contents of his luggage.

There was quite a long line at checkout and we were very short on time. We attempted to explain our situation to each customer and though they were clearly unhappy, we were given permission to go to the front of the line. It was awkward and we hated doing it but really had no choice other than rescheduling our connecting flight.

So,

Dear Airline Representative~~

Thank you for the strong suggestion that there was a very real possibility our luggage would not catch up with us and to go shopping. I imagine it would not have been endorsed or encouraged by your supervisor but you used your best judgement and common sense anyway.

XOXO

Grateful passenger

Raye Smith

Woodrose, no, it wasn't life threatening and if I had to do it over again I would have stayed home. I had an overzealous physician that decided to send me to the ER, making a decision I would not have made.

My point is that sometimes when you're feeling really awful it's hard to
think straight, be realistic and chose to let an illness takes its
course. It really was a waste of time, money and ER resources.

OutsidePlaying

Dear Line-Cutter’s Cousin,

in a cafeteria-style restaurant where you are in line to order food, please don’t send one of your kids or one of your able-bodied party to hold a table while you wait in line to order. Just wait like everyone else for a table to open up after you have ordered your food. I promise it will work out in proper order and you will get a table. It forces those of us who do wait to stand and wait for a table to open up while your sentry is still sitting at an empty table.

blfenton

OH OH DawninCal's post way up thread made me wonder how many letters I could be the recipient of from a stranger.

OutsidePlaying's letter could be sent to me. When my kids were young that is something I would have done in order to give them something to do and prevent a meltdown. Now, I wouldn't do it and I promise to not do it again.

Sorry (she says sheepishly, head hanging)

littlebug zone 5 Missouri

Dear senior citizen in the grocery store during the noon hour:

Why in blue blazes are you in the grocery store anytime near the noon hour? Don't you know that's the busiest time in the store? That working people try to jam in multiple errands during that time (like pick up a loaf of bread, get their drycleaning, fill up the car with gas, etc.) and yet still find time to grab a sandwich and then get back to work on time? What were you doing at 8:54 a.m. this morning when most people are working and the grocery store was virtually empty? Calling all your senior-citizen-friends and arranging a chat-a-thon in the dairy aisle for straight-up-noon, making sure to gather the optimal number of shopping carts for full lane blockage? C'mon! Get a clue!

Dear next-door neighbor with the pooping dog:

Thanks for letting your dog outside to do her business. The fifteen minutes you leave her outside - with no supervision - is plenty of time for her to leave a steaming pile in my front yard, chase away the cardinals feeding under my sunflower feeder, stand in my yard and bark endlessly at me, a squirrel, a leaf, or an imaginary Tyrannosaurus Rex, and, if my DH has forgotten to close the garage door when he left, wander in there to see if there's any trash that needs spreading around.

Perhaps, though, you are aware of the mischief your dog gets into because you never seem surprised at the dog piles that mysteriously appear right beside your driveway, near the driver's side door of your car. I guess you feel that's the price you pay for having a dog. And I'm happy too, imagining that sticky-poo on your shoes and hopefully inside your car.

Lucille

Dear senior citizen in the grocery store during the noon hour:

Why in blue blazes are you in the grocery store anytime near the noon hour? Don't you know that's the busiest time in the store? That working people try to jam in multiple errands during that time (like pick up a loaf of bread, get their drycleaning, fill up the car with gas, etc.) and yet still find time to grab a sandwich and then get back to work on time? What were you doing at 8:54 a.m. this morning when most people are working and the grocery store was virtually empty? Calling all your senior-citizen-friends and arranging a chat-a-thon in the dairy aisle for straight-up-noon, making sure to gather the optimal number of shopping carts for full lane blockage? C'mon! Get a clue!

Once upon a time, a very elderly man became too frail to live on his own so he went to live with his son, daughter-in-law, and his four-year-old grandson.

The old man’s hands were shaky, his eyesight was blurred, and he was very unsteady on his feet. The family ate together at the table but the elderly grandfather’s trembling hands and failing sight made eating difficult. Peas rolled off his spoon onto the floor. When he grasped the glass, milk spilled on the tablecloth.

The son and daughter-in-law (who had busy lives and were often tired by dinner time) became more and more irritated with the mess. ‘We already have so much on our plate with our business and our family. We must do something about father as he’s just creating more work and hassle for us’ said the son. ‘I’ve had enough of his spilled milk, noisy eating, and food on the floor.’

So the husband and wife set a small table in the corner. There, Grandfather ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner together. Since Grandfather had broken a dish or two, his food was now served in a wooden bowl. When the family glanced in Grandfather’s direction, sometimes he had a tear in his eye as he sat alone.

Still, the only words the overworked and irritated couple had for him were sharp criticisms when he dropped a fork or spilled food.

The four-year-old watched it all in silence.

One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor. He asked the child sweetly, ‘What are you making?’ Just as sweetly, the boy responded, ‘Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when I grow up.’ The four-year-old smiled and went back to work.

The words struck the parents so that they were speechless. Then tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no words were spoken between them they both had the realisation that they were teaching their son indifference and harshness instead of kindness and compassion.

That evening the husband took Grandfather’s hand and gently led him back to the family table. For the remainder of his days he ate every meal with the family. And neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled.

The next day they decided to simplify their lives a little, so they had the time to focus on family, on love and on what mattered most.

Every one of us can probably relate to this story. There are times when we behave like the parents did and we choose convenience over compassion. There are times when we are harsh or impatient because we are ‘too busy’ to listen, to be kind, to be patient. Or times when it’s just too inconvenient to live our values so we take actions that seem easy in the moment but lead to disharmony or suffering in the future.

The art of mindful living involves a conscious effort to live a life that’s true to us. A life in alignment with our values…and maybe the true test of how mindful a person is, is how they act when nobody is looking – or when the only one who is looking is our grandparents, the check-out lady, our partner, the janitor or our children.

Are there ways that you have been overlooking what matters most in your life? If so what could you do today to change things?

One final thought on this story – we don’t need to judge ourselves harshly when we find ourselves off course. It’s all part of being human. Mindful living is not a perfection project and this is not about always being flawless. We can be compassionate with ourselves when we make mistakes along the way and like the parents in this story, we can then renew our intention to live with more compassion, with awareness, authenticity and with our inner compass set to true north.

blfenton

I'm 67 and I'll shop when I have the time between visiting my elderly mother, helping out my niece and the other myriad things that as a decrepit senior I have to do,

When I see "seniors" or anyone who is less able than I am anywhere, whether it be the grocery store or on the sidewalk or the coffee shop I always think, someday that will be me and I hope to God that someone will be gracious enough to give me some space and a smile.

I always wonder why those moms with toddlers can't do their shopping when their kids are down for the night. And that was sarcasm.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Hmmmmm........didn't realize that seniors were restricted as to what times they should be visiting the grocery store or running errands!! And in fact, I find it rather demeaning that anyone would think that most seniors are not able to function on a perfectly normal basis and able to conduct their affairs or run their errands any time they like or is convenient for them, just like anyone else.

What I do at 8:45 in the morning is my business and I fail to understand why I should conduct my life according to someone else's timetable!!

Jasdip

I tend to do my grocery shopping during the day through the week and not on weekends. Whether it's at 10:45 or 12:30, it doesn't matter, it's whatever time I feel like going.

Last week we had another hit of winter, snowsqualls, accumulation etc.

To the drivers who insist on buying an SUV, pickup etc, clean the snow off the roof of the vehicle! If it's too high for you to reach, open the damned door and stand inside. I don't need chunks of icy snow flying off the roof of your vehicle.

Also, there are headlights that you can turn on to better see you. Far too many people rely on just their Daytime Running Lights, they don't turn on your rear lights.

nicole___

Yeah....I'm a senior....and now I'm the business owner! Oh....I look like I'm dressed to do construction or just too poor to afford to wear designer duds.....ha ha Get a clue! I hope when YOUR my age you can afford to buy groceries, much less be out at noon doing it.

dallasannie

The rants about pedestrians in the parking lots and the dangers is real. I think, though, it is more about really bad design of the parking lots that is at fault. I never understood why it is necessary to have vehicle traffic flowing across the front of the store like so many do. Nay, as most do. It would make better sense to have pedestrian aisles between the rows of parked cars and all of the pedestrian aisles empty into the front entrance of the store where there is NOT a flow of traffic. Driving in front of a WM or Target or Costco with all of the customers in and out and walking straight across the line of traffic is a really bad idea that I try to avoid as a driver. I am surprised that more accidents don't happen.

Some provision could be made for dropping off and for handicapped access.

Of particular dysfunction is the local Costco situation. People are coming and going into Costco in great numbers and there is street traffic both entering and exiting across the very same space as people are walking between the moving cars to get to their own cars. I don't know how often a car and a body meet one another, but I do know that I have been in the store one time when there was someone hit and there were ambulances there and I know of people who have had their cars hit by other cars right there. Surprising that it is such a dangerous situation that just seems to continue.

It is not all the fault of the pedestrians who are expecting a little safer passage than they actually have. People do stupid things, but I think it is more about the fact that the design of the parking doesn't accommodate the natural flow of pedestrians and the foibles of human nature.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

My take on pedestrians and parking lots is that drivers tend to think they are still on the road and drive much too fast for the conditions. Of course there are going to be pedestrians present and drivers need to be aware of that all the time. Once you turn into the lot, slow down and pay attention!! As a pedestrian, I am looking out for you and trying to avoid so give me the same courtesy by not acting like you are in the Indianapolis 500 with your sole focus that most convenient parking space!

My local grocery - a massive store with a massive parking lot - attempts to alleviate the situation by installing large zebra striped speed bumps to slow cars down and installing flexible plastic posts between the lanes to designate pedestrian walkways.

dallasannie

little bug, your attitude towards senior is most ungracious. . Maybe you need to reflect on the anxiety that you feel during your lunch hour and try to make some changes in your lifestyle that you are not in store at that time of day anxiously fretting and becoming aggravated. Your comment seems to reflect more your own anxiety than it does on the actions of others.

You can't change the world. You can only change your reaction to it.

Elizabeth

Dear fellow shoppers,

I enjoy shopping and I surely hope you do too. Grocery carts are huge these days, aren't they? Sometimes I see folks having trouble navigating the aisles. Might I suggest staying either right or left? Perhaps it is best to navigate as if the aisle were a two-lane roadway and you are in your car. There is no center lane. There is no center " parking" lane. I too often enjoy chatting occasionally with others while shopping. Parking both carts in the center of the aisle in a diagonal fashion is blocking traffic, can you not see that? I truly don't believe I am behaving rudely when I say excuse me to try and get past you. You needn't glare at me. I clearly do recognize the nature of the problem already.

Now, I am a mother and Grandmother. I know that even in the nicest of families, children can mis-behave. I would truly appreciate it if parents would stop their children from running though the aisles like it is an Olympic competition and also requires screaming at the top of their lungs. Recently a child slammed into my stopped cart as they flew around a corner at top speed while being chased by another child. Only when the child nearly fell to the floor did the parent notice them. Or me. I did remind them that my cart was stopped. Not in motion. It took a minute to sink in.

Mostly, do not sneeze or cough on me. Ever. I might snap!

dallasannie

I will let someone in line go before me. Especially if they have a good reason, such as the folks trying to buy quickly at Target to catch that flight.

I will let those with small hyper children go before me too.

After all, I am a senior citizen and I am not rushed, almost, ever. I have the time to stand aside and observe and watch the world go by.

It is but a small gesture and it doesn't happen all the time. Most people don't cut into the line, but there are some who are aggressive.

blfenton

Maybe there should be a sign at the entrance to parking lots that pedestrians are sharing the roadways so drive with caution. I actually don't remember seeing posted speed limits in them either. A grocery store not too far from me has put stop signs in their parking lot at various intersections and perhaps that was done to address this issue. It's just a regular grocery store parking lot with no other retail.

In sad news, in a small community about 45 minutes from me a 2-year old toddler and her mother were hit by a car in a grocery store parking lot last weekend. The toddler died. It's hit the small community extremely hard.

sedona16

Dear Amylou321, please remember that pedestrians have the right of way....Even when they are walking across the parking lot and in front of your car (or SUV).

amylou321

Dear sedona16,

Please read my letter thoroughly before attempting to school me. I acknowledged that clearly.

3 Likes Save    
Lucille

In fact, depending on state law and where an accident takes place, there are times when pedestrians do not have the right of way (they do at marked crosswalks and mostly always in parking lots) even though many states also have statutory language that requires vehicle drivers to exercise due care to avoid hitting a pedestrian. This analysis comes up mostly where there has been an accident and the pedestrian has been injured and is trying to collect compensation for damages.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Whether a pedestrian has the right of way or not, the law of gross tonnage prevails. Being right while being dead or injured is a cold comfort.

Lucille

"You can be dead right"

(Public service announcement I remembered from long ago).

dedtired

Just catching up on this thread. Wowzw, the ”letter” to senior citizens is downright nasty. Hope the world is kinder to you when (and if) you are older.

The right of way remarks reminded me of this poem.

This is a story of John O'Day
Who died maintaining his right of way
He was right, dead right, as he sailed along
But he's just as dead as if he were wrong.

dallasannie

Most people are well aware of the fact that a pedestrian has the right of way, but if parking lots were reconfigured to more effectively separate them, it would be less of an issue.

You have to remember, also, that many drivers are looking at that traffic and pedestrians can get overlooked. It is also true that pedestrians have a responsibility to watch and acknowledge that the driver of the car knows that they are there. In a busy parking lot like the one at my local Costco it is like a game of chance for both pedestrian and driver to dodge one another, like some sort of perverse video game. I just cannot, for the life of me, understand why this is not a very prominent and important public safety issue or that a company with the deep pockets of Costco would allow this liability. I never approach the store through one of those avenues. There are other ways into the parking lot at the back where there is not a concentrated number of people pushing small mountains of groceries.

It happened to me just the other day that I was at a stop sign leaving a parking lot. I was at a four way stop and looking for my turn to pull away when my husband warned me to stop. There was a small man in a little low motor chair who was about to cross in front of my car. He was small, low profiled and dressed all in dark colors and I really just did not see him at all. He blended in to the rest of the landscape like a tree trunk amongst the rest of the leafless tree trunks. Shudder!!!

People do pull around in a parking lot at unsafe speeds, often. I go very slowly in a parking lot and also when backing out. Even with a back up camera you never know when a small child might run across or someone is speeding around the corner. People will criticize for this and say that I drive like an old person. Maybe that is true because life has taught me a few lessons in hubris and caution.

Accidents happen and sometimes they are simply the chaos of the universe at work.

To the poster talking about people parking their shopping carts in the middle of the aisle. Once, again, I am without fault in this. Now, don't laugh. (Well, Ok, maybe laugh a little bit. ). Seriously, if you find others at fault for this, try not to commit the same error. I really do try to be considerate and NOT do this. Some people seem to not give any thought to it at all.

Still, even though I am clearly a superior person who does not speed in parking lots or block the store aisle there are times when things happen, as I almost overlooked that small man in the motor chair.

And, of course, I am NOT a superior person and not without fault. Just kidding.

lgmd_gaz

dallasannie, I use a motor chair or as I call it, a handicapped scooter. Because of having that luxury, I don't really need to use a parking space dedicated for the handicapped and sometimes I feel it is wrong. But my DH insists, because of being so easily missed by drivers due to my lower position in their view, I do. The closer I am to my destination the less chance I have to being run over.

dallasannie

This person was really out of my radar to the point where he just did not register. I can't quit mulling it over, the "what ifs". Shudder!

I think that it would be to his advantage to have some sort of higher profile item that would raise his visibility up, like some sort of a small bright flag. Maybe it could be seen as insulting or somewhat negative towards him, but it is a bit like that about the right of way. Would he rather be flagged or dead? In this case, he had to navigate across four lanes of stopped traffic and each of them was going a different direction and each driver is watching each other driver, not the diminutive figure in the motor chair.. So many of the crossings put even sure footed folks in danger. This person was at a definite disadvantage and highly vulnerable.

Myself, I make sure to make eye contact with the driver before crossing.

Accidents between pedestrians and drivers are an active discussion around here. It is a large metropolitan area with a lot of both. Sure it is a topic in many places.

In the burbs where the car culture dominates, both walking and biking are being encouraged as alternatives. The mix of pedestrians, bikes, and heavy traffic is a dangerous one that takes a toll.

Mystical Manns

I had a co-worker several years ago who was ranting about the number of Seniors shopping during her lunch hour, which was 11 - noon. She went on and on, about why they were there at THAT time, they should pick their times better so as not to slow down workers who had limited time. I laughed and laughed ... and told her, when I retire, you think I'm going to be a clock watcher and "time" my shopping for all the various lunch periods out there? Get over yourself!!!

I will say, when it comes to doctor visits, I leave it up to the scheduler when my appointments are so they can better accommodate people who work and want to have the first or last appointments of the day.

chisue

dallasannie -- Thank you for mentioning something I had never considered! I'm going to try accessing our Costco via the far end of the parking lot, which is near the gasoline pumps at our local store.

nicole___

This reminded me.....I'm going to buy "Scram" for ALL the dog walkers that let their dogs do their business in front of my driveway. :0)

nickel_kg

dallasannie -- if your mind keeps returning to the scary situation, think of all the good you did by sharing your experience here. Now you've got dozen and dozens of drivers who will give a second & third look, and maybe a couple people will take action so they can be seen more easily. Replace the bad thoughts with the good. Thanks.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Letter Writing in Modern Style
Resurrect the lost art of letter writing with unmistakably current desk accessories, stationery and pens
Full Story
Life Write a Letter! And 6 More Satisfying Things to Do This Weekend
Ready for a refresh? Savor some citrus, clean your wood floors, kick off your shoes or roll out the yoga mat
Full Story
Furniture A Love Letter to Writing Desks
Handwritten notes often become etched in our memories, but these writing desks are memorable in their own right
Full Story