SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Asked to write letter of recommendation.......help!

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

i am retiring next week. My coworker totally caught me off guard today when she asked for a letter before I go. She is a secretary and I am an admin asst.

I explained that I thought this was usually done by a supervisor, not an "equal." She was insistent that it is appropriate. Yes or no?

More importantly, I would find it difficult to recommend her. She was always charged with part of my job when I was on vacation but she did it half-a$$ed and I would come back to a stack of stuff. I would sit with her and go over the stack and show her the ropes, but the next time it would be the same thing all over again. Clueless boss thought she was getting it done because said boss never showed any interest in my job whatsoever so never bothered to ask or check. I never said anything until recently when boss said "at least Sally can handle that part of your work until a new person is trained." I felt I had to tell boss at that point......no, she really can't.

I will say she is more knowledgeable than me about Word, Excel, etc; however she wants me to say how she did my job whenever I was away. She freaked out when I told her I was retiring because she knew boss would probably find out she wasn't doing the work. She even asked me if I had said anything to boss....and I hadn't at that point.

Honestly, I don't think she even does her own job very well i.e if there's a meeting and she has to make 50 copies of ten different pages she always screws it up..goodness...how hard is that? Lots of dumb mistakes like that. I will say she is a nice person with a big heart, but I don't think that counts here.

Sorry to be long......what would you do?

Comments (11)