comfort food ... for anytime

bragu_DSM 5

made one of mine this weekend

French onion soup and cheese sticks ...

was feeling lazy ... and wanting to crawl back under the covers ...

SaveComment23Like1
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

I'm all sneezy. Under the covers sounds good. So does soup. :)

My sick day comfort food is tater tots. Which sounds good just now, so maybe it's not just allergies. :( I don't usually want them, just when I'm sick. But maybe I'm just hungry. :) Actually, I think the salt, warmth and crunch are the sick day elements of tater tot comfort. Sicker day, I want Mike's Minestrone, but Mike is gone and I've never perfected the minestrone (no recipe). Maybe it needs more salt. For emotional comfort (and hunger), nothing beats a really good wet burrito. ;)

Feel better, Dave. Stay warm.

Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
CA Kate z9

French Onion Soup sounds really good today..... sort of rainy here. I love soup... of just about any kind.

Both of you stay in, and warm, and get well.

(hmmmmm.... a burrito sounds good too.)

1 Like Save    
lindac92

My sick meal is an egg sandwich on white bread....or a feeling better meal is grilled lamb chops, baked potato and buttered carrots.
When Iw as doing chemo I cooked up a storm but nothing tasted right....so I made something else.
And my sick meal is different if I am cooking it or someone is cooking it for me.

Save    
morz8

I'm not sure I really eat when I'm sick. When I begin to feel better something from my childhood like Cream of Wheat with a pinch of brown sugar on top works. Comfort food for those cold winter days would be something like chicken and dumplings. Love dumplings made in a rich broth, broken up with a fork on the plate then a little butter.

Save    
seagrass_gw

My comfort food when I have to cook for myself is buttered toasted white bread, torn up into pieces in a bowl and topped with two poached eggs, salt and pepper. Some black tea with milk and sugar.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

When I'm sick sick, homemade chicken noodle soup. When I'm just feeling blech, herbed tomato soup & grilled cheese. Or as gross as it sounds, spaghetti tossed with a bit of butter and condensed tomato soup right out of the can (when I was a girl that was my favorite lunch.) Or in the summer, spaghetti tossed with olive oil, fresh herbs, parm & cherry tomatoes. None of which except the chicken noodle soup will DH eat.

Save    
amylou321

I don't really have a sick food. When I am ill I really do not have an appetite. Whatever can be quickly made just to get nutrients will do.

Just comfort food? Starch. Random inappropriate starch. Think just a big ol bowl of stove top stuffing,extra butter. Or rice and gravy. Or mashed taters. I eat those things on those occasions when I am SICK of caring about carbs or calories or sodium or vitamins and minerals and balance and just need something that tastes good to be satisfied.

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

For comfort when I'm sick, I like navel oranges and homemade chicken soup with lots of mushy-soft chunks of carrots, along with lots of garlic, onions, parsley and some bowtie pasta.

Other times I crave potato chips or buttered toast.

And I hate it when I get to that stage in a head cold where I can't smell anything and I'm hungry!

But most of things I cook are comfort foods for me, I think.

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I have the strangest thing I want to eat when I am sick; it has been like this since I was a little girl. I remember my Mom trying to get me to eat something else, but I always insisted on this: Cold canned tomatoes and saltine crackers. It somehow comforts me when I am sick.

Save    
Angela Id

Put a Shredded Wheat biscuit on a slotted spoon, lower into boiling water for a few seconds, drain, add a couple of pats of butter, slide an over easy egg on top, salt. My childhood comfort food when I don't feel good.

Save    
plllog

Turns out I had a very mild cold and very bad allergies. Still have the cold. Probably not contagious anymore, but I still don't want to cook, even though I'm supposed to. I think I've just about talked the family into ordering in Mexican. I may yet get my wet burrito. :)

1 Like Save    
Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

I normally like homemade Chicken Noodle Soup but for some reason I crave those dried packaged Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup with Premium Plus Crackers mushed up into it. That or hot Beef OXO cube(s) with torn pieces of white bread torn up into it. Strange 😏!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
bragu_DSM 5

my malady was just plain exhaustion. It was crash n burn time.

been a very busy couple of weeks with the caucus fiasco and the like.

'you liar, you liar, no one has flip phones and poor internet service anymore.'

march madness is coming up.

I am so trying to retire ...

Save    
plllog

Dave, I thought you were in Illinois? I mean, I know it's next to Iowa, but isn't that way North of you? Anyway, I'm sorry for the madness and your part of it. I think, for me, exhaustion is more a dry burrito with condiments (habanero mustard, sour cream, etc.,) to fix it up on the inside bite by bite.

Today I did order the wet burrito, but it didn't come with any of the promised bits on top. There was some salsa picante in the fridge, as well as sour cream and Greek yoghurt, but one of the guests opted for a burrito instead of the shrimp stuffed gorditas, so I ate that, with its little shreds of lettuce and cup of black beans instead. It was very good, and I still ended up with chicken soup and a burrito to take home. What I most want when sick is what others have said--someone else to feed me! I can't face raw meat when I'm sick, but do better if I eat cooked meat, thus the burrito craving. :)

I'm feeling more energetic now, but it's time to clean up the kitchen (pass) not start cooking.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

in the center of the Hawkeye state ... buckle of the corn belt

2 Likes Save    
lindac92

Me too....glad the caucus madness is over....and the phone calls and brochures in the door have slowed down.
With March madness often comes March blizzards....which leads to snowed in foods....
which for me is usually a big pot of "freezer soup"...made with what I can dredge from the freezer and the vegetable crisper.

1 Like Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Louiseab Ibbotson

I’m another who literally can’t eat a thing when I’m sick. When I just want comfort food, it’s usually something like Mac and cheese. I really like the premade Resers brand. My guilty pleasure (well one😉) is corn chips or taco salad.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I'm not feeling the best today so dinner comes under the "comfort food" heading - Tuna Noodle Casserole. Warming and creamy goodness.

Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Islay Corbel

Soft boiled eggs and soldiers.

I also love home made tomato soup and cheese scones.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

I don't think this was about "sick" food, but as a comfort food (thinking cold winter night) soup is always a favorite. I mostly like thicker soups.

But casseroles come to mind! lasagna, taco pie, stuffed shells.....things like that.

Save    
plllog

Nancyjane reminds me of the when "comfort food" first was a heavily used phrase. It meant all the things that people on diets didn't eat that were packed with fat and carbs, like creamy mashed potatoes, mac and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. There is some science behind it. As I understand it (but may be out of date or gotten it wrong), the fat helps the body cope with stress hormones. I know when I was younger and had a lot of lunch meetings focused on spending money, I used to eat a lot of butter (on the bread, but it was about the butter). :) And carbs just make you feel better. :)

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

man, haven't had tuna and noodles for years ... hmmmmmmm

yes, this was about a lazy easy prep comfort food ... always like soup in the winter.

still looking for the 'perfect no-fail repeatable' baked Mac n cheese recipe. have come close, but too many times I wing it, and although good, its not phenomenal

1 Like Save    
plllog

The secret to a bake (i.e., casserole) is moisture control. When dealing with cheese, you also have to control for excess fat. With all of this, you have to be patient so you don't break the sauce.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Traditional Architecture Cottages: The Comfort Food of Architecture
Soul satisfying and as snug as a favorite sweater, a cottage knows how to roll out the welcome mat
Full Story
Small Kitchens Deliciously Simple: Food Photographer Warms Up a Rental Kitchen
See how a San Francisco cook and blogger makes her small kitchen shine
Full Story
Most Popular Kibble Time! Clever Cubbies and Drawers for Your Pet Food Station
See the many ways you can incorporate a food and water station for animals in your kitchen, laundry room or mudroom
Full Story