Houzz Logo Print

What is a combination thermostatic/pressure balanced shower valve?

Laine Er
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I think I have a pretty good grasp of the difference between a pressure balanced and a thermostatic valve and the benefits of both.

My issue is that a bunch of brands seem to also have this mysterious third classification which appears to be a mix of the two and I haven't been able to find a single website which explains this combo option. Some call it coaxial, some call it hybrid, some call it thermostatic/pressure balanced, but all these terms seem to refer to this same weird combo system. I've spoken to three different people at the highest regarded plumbing showroom in my city and not one of them seems to have a clue what this third category actually is or how it works.

I keep getting bullsh*t, clueless sales person gibberish and it's driving me a bit nuts. The guy today tried to convince me that the model he was recommending was a full thermostatic system when it was clearly labelled by the manufacturer "thermostatic/pressure balanced" and the same manufacturer has other models labelled full thermostatic, which cost significantly more.

Is anyone able to shed light on this weird hybrid type, how it actually works and what the benefits/drawbacks might be of combining both technologies?

I would be forever grateful if someone who really understands the technology could shed some light on this.


Full thermostatic:

Weird combo:

Pressure balanced:

Comments (2)