SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Weight loss and wardrobe

IdaClaire
4 years ago

Apologies if this comes across as a humble brag ... although, perhaps it IS, as I am pleased to witness actual results from all of my hard work. I'm down a little over 10 pounds since the first week in January, having gone back to a dietary routine that I've long known was best for me (I just got away from it, mostly due to my own laziness), and returning to running and weight lifting. To see how my body is beginning to reproportion itself is encouraging to me, HOWEVER, it's just starting to become an issue where my wardrobe is concerned. This morning I reached for a pair of slacks that I love -- small black-and-white houndstooth check, wool-blend, lined ... and they hung on me like clown pants. I pulled them off and noted they're a size 12, so reached for a pair of black pants that are 10s, and they fit only marginally better. The crotch seems to be much lower than it was the last time I wore them. Clearly, my clothes are no longer fitting well.

I am required to wear a business/professional wardrobe to work, and what I own in that regard are pieces that I consider to be investments. They were not inexpensive and therefore not what I'd consider throw-aways. I have never had clothing altered ... can hardly believe that, having reached the age of almost 60 and never having had that done ... and I don't know the first thing about doing so. I do not sew, so am not about to tackle alterations myself. Have any of you had clothing resized, and if so, how was your experience? I also have a whole slew of jackets that are starting to hang on me, and not much looks worse in a professional environment than a frumpy, dumpy, ill-fitting suit. I fear losing my polish, and need to do something about this fairly soon. Problem is, I plan to drop another 10 to 15 pounds, so where does that leave me in the interim? I am not a big dress wearer, although I do have a couple of sheath dresses that I can make use of ... but even they will likely start to hang poorly on me before too long.

Has anyone here had this, er, "problem"? What did you do?

Any idea what it typically costs to have lined slacks and jackets altered?

Comments (27)