Ever make something for the name?

nancyjane_gardener

My friend in Hawaii is making Jabotcaba jam and Lilikoi jelly to sell at the flea mart.

I sometimes make Balnamoon skink (chicken/leek soup) for St. Patty's day cause the name is fun!

YOU?????

SaveComment43Like1
Comments (43)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

Yes, I made The Next Best Thing to Robert Redford years ago. A delicious dessert, but it makes a lot, so it is best for family gatherings.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

ah yes ... the first time I fixed SOS for the kids ...

"Dad, what is this?"

If I told you, you wouldn't eat it ...

2 Likes Save    
colleenoz

I won a prize from the local radio station for knowing what “Slippery Bob” is :-)

We have Eton Mess fairly often, but DH usually refers to it as “half-Eton Mess” ;-D

Save    
plllog

I love interesting names, but while I'm likely to look them up, I'll only make it if I think it sounds really good to eat. :)

Save    
lindac92

Hmmm....I make "Chicken glop" and "Zucchini slop" and" Liver Jalop"....but those are family names for family recipes....
Kangaroo brains?? Hmmmm...I know about rocky mountain oysters and Turkey Toms....but....!!!!!

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

we grew up on 'hotdish' in the late 60s

ground beef, noodles and cream of something soup ...

Save    
plllog

Oh, well, sarcastic famiy names are another story. I make green mold and ODsludge. :)

Save    
party_music50

I made Monte Cristo sandwiches because the name made me curious.

Save    
moosemac

Slumgullion was a stew my Dad used to make. It was basically all the leftovers in the refirgerator, carrots, some stock and a can of diced tomatoes. LOL

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I made “the worlds greatest meatloaf” several years ago. Something about the name made me think it’d be really good. As I recall it was fine.

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

I make duck soup all the time.

I use the Marx Brothers' recipe with some modifications. Let me share with you the recipe:

When Groucho was asked for an explanation of the title of the movie "Duck Soup", he quipped, "Take two turkeys, one goose, four cabbages, but no duck, and mix them together. After one taste, you'll duck soup for the rest of your life."

All ingredients I use are leftovers and Instead of goose, I use chicken.

enjoy!

dcarch

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

The British have a lot of bizarre names for food and I have tried quite a few of them - toad in a hole, bubble and squeak, spotted Dick, Eton Mess (I liked that....not so much the spotted Dick). And kedgeree. But I grew up with that and make it for the childhood memories, not the name :-)

My sister makes a soup or stew-like dish called Hearty Hodge-Podge that involves ground beef, canned baked beans, canned minestrone or vegetable soup and whatever vegetables one happens to have on hand. It's pretty good!

I also make a soup called Rusty Knife :-) Have no idea why it is called that but has cannellini beans, smoked sausage, fresh spinach and chicken broth and livened with a kick of salsa before serving. Years ago when the kids were little, that was a favorite Christmas Eve supper dish.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I would love to make Cock-a-Leekie soup but since I'd have to leave out the "Leekie" part that just makes it ordinary chicken soup. I read a book a long time ago that was set in Scotland and for some reason the description of the dinner in one scene has stuck with me all these years later! LOL

Save    
Lars

When I was a child, I wanted porridge plus curds and whey. I thought that if they were good enough for Goldilocks and Little Miss Muffet, then they must be good, but I was very wrong. I don't trust food from nursery rhymes of fairy tales any more.

I had also heard about crumpets a lot, and I didn't like those after eating them either. In general, I try to stay away from British food.

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

OMG! What's not to like about crumpets? They are kind of a cross between an English muffin and a fat, fluffy pancake. Served hot and drizzled with butter and jam or honey that permeates all the little holes, they are delicious!!

And traditional British cuisine is excellent, provided it is cooked properly :-) If you don't care for it, you just have not had it prepared properly.

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw

Ants climbing a tree. " Fuchsia Dunlop's Sichuanese cookbook charmingly calls it Ants Climbing a Tree. If you dangle a few strands of these noodles from your chopsticks, Dunlop explains, tiny morsels of meat will cling to them, apparently like ants climbing a tree. This dish uses glass noodles, easily found in any Asian market and sometimes labeled "mung bean thread" or "bean vermicelli."

Recipe easily available on Google.

1 Like Save    
Solsthumper

Brazo Gitano (Gypsy Arm).

I was a little kid when I first heard of ‘Brazo Gitano.’ At the time, I thought it sounded morbid, gruesome and repulsive . . . and I was intrigued.

It turned out to be a dessert similar to a Swiss roll, filled with a very sweet guava paste. Repulsive.

Sol

Save    
chipotle

I made “the worlds greatest meatloaf” several years ago. Something about the name made me think it’d be really good. As I recall it was fine.

Was it this one?

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2571179/recipe-world-s-best-meatloaf

Save    
chloebud

Tarte Tatin. Years ago I just thought pronouncing it was fun, and it looked so darn good.

Save    
cookebook

What's the obsession with calling food or recipes "better than sex?" I tried your Pinterest risotto, Sharon, and frankly I'm wondering if your needs are being met.

5 Likes Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Any time I'm invited to a party and asked to bring a dessert, I always make the "Better Than Sex Cake."

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

"Sweetbreads" and "Sweet Breads" are not interchangable LOL. When googling a recipe, the space bar can be a real lifesaver!!!

3 Likes Save    
seagrass_gw

I've never made it, but have always wondered why anyone would want to eat "Head cheese" It looks revolting.

Save    
amylou321

I dont think I have made anything for the name, but I will buy or try foods with funny names. Ollollieberries,pickalily, bubble and squeak, bangers and mash, chip butty,none of those I will eat again.(well,maybe the chip butty)

I do like crumpets. And scones with clotted cream.

I also will buy plants based on names. I bought a rose bush without knowing what the flower actually looked like because it was named "Pinkerbelle." I assumed it was pink and it is, but not as pink as the name would suggest. No regrets. It brings me happiness to have a rose named Pinkerbelle in my garden.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

amylou, when I had more gardening room we would pick an odd tomato just for fun. We got a Berkley tie dye, and it looked just like tiedye! Fairly tasty too!

I have to say that the food in Britain has improved quite a bit in the last 40 years! Had a lovely farm to table dinner at a winery in Wales! Much better than the everything fried 40 years ago! (Of course I was 3 months preggers, so fried food wasn't very appetizing!)

Still won't do haggis!

Save    
plllog

Crumpets need to be fresh. They sell petrified, rubbery crumpets in the refrigerator case at big chain markets. We all know that refrigerating bread tightens the starches and makes it stale, so why would they think crumpets, which need to be tender, would be okay this way?

OTOH, my mother told me that curds and whey is cottage cheese, and I like good cottage cheese (not so much whey!). And porridge is just wet oatmeal. I like mine dry and stiff, but if I were stuck in Scotland, where it's cold, I would probably like it any way it was served.

Amylou, I don't know the names of any of my roses! Like seven dozen of them. I bought a book to try to identify them and couldn't figure it out. Even the few I put in as replacements for ones that died didn't come with names. I'm jealous that you have a Pinkerbelle. That's the silliest name and it makes me smile just thinking about it. But if anyone is going to have a Pinkerbelle rose, it ought to be you. Though if you cut some and put them in your kitchen, you probably wouldn't be able to see them. ;)

So, thinking on it, i have eaten something for the name. In childhood. It wasn't very good, but the name is aces. Anybody remember Screaming Yellow Zonkers?

1 Like Save    
amylou321

Plllog, I keep the tags on the roses when I plant them so I won't forget! Not sure i would ever forget Pinkerbelle but one never knows...

I have a few rose bushes at work that I have no clue what they are. Most of them were those generic ones in bags that were labeled "garden rose,pink" or something like that. My favorite one is a hot pink one with HUGE blooms on it and it drives me nuts that I don't know what it is so I can't buy one for my home garden. And I have never had luck trying to root cuttings from it. Oh well, at least I have pinkerbelle.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Was it this one?

Ha - If it is then my recollection is off. I’ll have to try that one again - thanks!!!

Save    
Lars

I've made crumpets myself, and I still don't like them. I also don't like English muffins and I don't like jam. I've been to decent British restaurants in Victoria BC, and I still don't like British food. I've also watched British cooking shows and thought they had some of the worst recipes. It's just not my taste. I won't bother to name how many British dishes I do not like. I do like fish and chips, however, but that's about it. Beef Wellington is another exception.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

Lars, what a sweeping statement to make! It is like me saying I don't like American food lol what about pies? We have the best meat pies on the planet. Hot and cold. Game pies, pork pies, steak and kidney pies and puddings...... that's only one example and you won't get those in your average restaurant.

Crumpets are very hard to get right so maybe yours just were bad lol😋😋😋

Some names are funny like spotted dick and nun's legs.....very old steamed puddings....

Save    
lindac92

Head cheese is delicious!! and so is scrapple.....and Shoo-fly pie!

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Yummm... Shoo-Fly Pie!!

Save    
Jasdip

I love Pasta Puttanesca, it's so easy to make when in a rush.

Only later did I find out that it means Lady of the Night

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I'll sweep along with Lars. Blanket statement about English, Irish, Polish, etc, and American, (whatever that is). Traditional dishes/recipes based on winter larders, what is available. Stored in cold climates. Starch on starch. We don't need to eat that way anymore with fresh whole foods available.

I/we don't care for scones, crumpets, jams at all. I do make my own English muffins we love. Hand pies, meh, some are good. Fried foods not a fan. Fish-n-chips once a year sea side fresh.

Names of traditional dishes are intriguing, And hilarious. But often not something I'll make based on recipe/ingredients.

More fun is to have family recipes and given names. Avoids the recipe traditionalist 'recipe police' like my 'two-pups-in-a-sunflower-patch', 'Shrimp-Squishy', , 'Pollo per Te', ....

So, no, probably not, finding/coming across, named food recipes...or just can't think of one. ...

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"We don't need to eat that way anymore with fresh whole foods available."

Of course we don't need to. But many still choose to on occasion because it brings back memories of our heritage or our grandparents or just because we want to try something different from our normal dinner fare. Nothing wrong with that!!

And I balk at the starch on starch comment or that these types of cuisine rely only on what's in one's larder. These can be just as well-balanced and include fresh seasonal foods as any other ethnic or regional cuisine might do. I don't mind sampling cuisine from any culture - there is usually always something I like and with some, a LOT of different dishes or particular foods I like.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Third try. Trying to be brief. People only eat bad food where food is scarce. Therefore one must assume the kind of food people in England eat at home is good. Even when moderate English restaurants had a bad reputation (the ones nicer than your average chipper, but not fancy), there was plenty of good food available at ethnic restaurants, some pubs, etc. There were some of those restaurants that seemed to be trying to present traditional English food (roast meats, etd.) at accessible prices and ended up with sorry sludge. We have plenty of restaurants in the USA to this day that are equal in mission and sludge! I'm sure that's true everywhere you go. And that visitors wander in, are told it's traditional food, and make strong judgments about the country's cuisine based on poor quality, poorly made food. There's a place like that near me. We went there awhile ago because it got good reviews on Yelp. Well. Um. As I said at the time: Just because it's scratch made doesn't mean it's good.

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon

I don't recall ever cooking something because of the name; I'm much more likely to give interesting names to things I've cooked. :)

1 Like Save    
bbstx

I‘ve always wanted to try the chocolate cookies named “In Which World Peace Eludes Me.” The recipe on Smitten Kitchen seems to have been shortened to “World Peace” but my link still shows the full name: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/01/in-which-world-peace-eludes-me/

1 Like Save    
plllog

Wow. Those sound like a pain, but also really good. I already have cookies on the to-do list though.

Save    
neely

I recall I made chimichurri because I liked to say the word. I also like to say the word chimichanga but I haven’t made them because I’ve read they should be deep fried .

Save    
plllog

Neely, a chimichanga is a deep fried burrito. No "should" about it. :) Without the fry it's just a burrito. But if you'd rather say chimichanga, go ahead! Call it "chimichanga au naturel," or chimichanga rubia (blonde).

Save    
neely

Thanks plllog, It goes without saying that I’m hopeless with Mexican cooking terms... but I do love the food.

1 Like Save    
nancyjane_gardener

neely, we've had good luck with a burrito sprayed with a bit of pam in an air fryer! Get all the crunch and the yummy innards!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entertaining The Easiest, Most Versatile Cake Stand You'll Ever Make
Show off sweet somethings and your own impressive handiwork — just don't let on how little effort it took
Full Story
Gardening Guides Make This Fall’s Garden the Best Ever
Planning to plant in autumn? Learn the most important tip for preventing buyer’s remorse, plus get more valuable buying and planting advice
Full Story
More Rooms 8 Rooms That Say 'Let's Make Something'
Stock up on ideas for craft room storage and workspaces from deluxe home workshops
Full Story