SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_94297263657

need some feedback on kitchen design please

GB
4 years ago

The photos are of my current kitchen, we are a family of 4 with young kids and we like to entertain. Our current island design and size does not allow much seating around island, plus the ceiling wall “A” (to support the wall cabinets on the left ) seems to obstruct sunlight from the dining area window as well as causing a lack of openness

I was thinking of getting rid of the left hanging drywall “A” and cabinets and the corresponding base cabinets( perpendicular to the back wall) , make the island flat and more than double the depth of the island by moving the island towards the back wall by 30 inches and then add cabinets to the island to fill the space upto the shortened pony wall ( shortened to allow flat island from current bar type setup). The contractor’s plumber said they could work out the plumbing as we are moving the sink and dishwasher along with the island towards the back wall by 30”

Tried to draw a floor plan , but together with the pics it may give some idea

The space between cabinets on wall “A” and island is 40” and the space between Island and B ( which is basically where the Base cabinet and refrigerator on the right is ) is 30”

Once the wall “A” and the corresponding base cabinet is removed , I plan to extend the kitchen cabinets ( both wall and base ) all the way across the back wall ( 244 inches)

This would give me a plenty of counter space to compensate for the wall cabinet and base cabinet loss after removing “A”, plus it would give me a island size 64” wide and 60” wide

Even after shifting the island back the space between the base cabinets( and oven) on the back wall and island would be over 50”

The kitchen cum dining nook is rectangular , back wall is 244, side wall is 130 “ and ceiling is v-shaped ( tried to show in pic)

If I do end up extending the kitchen and add cabinets then I wild color match both existing and new cabinets

Comments (12)