SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeniniowa

First draft DIY Kitchen design & layout - gentle feedback please!

Jennifer Weinman
2 years ago

We have been hemming and hawing about a kitchen remodel for years. I think I even have a very old post about it on here somewhere! Well, last year, our home sustained significant damage from a midwest derecho (basically a land hurricane) and "yay!" for insurance and other things that has sort of started the home-renovation snowball for us. (I say that sarcastically because getting anyone out here to do the work has been difficult, though we do have a contractor lined up for this)

What I'm looking for is feedback and another set of eyes on a first draft layout design for our kitchen. Currently, we have a small 13 1/2x 10 1/2 kitchen with doors in weird places, a non ideal layout, plus other problems with layout in our 1902 home. We have literally NO closets on our entire first floor, a bathroom in a weird place, and it's also just old and ugly. Drop tile ceilings in the kitchen, pealing laminate floors, worn out cabinets....it's TIME to do this. We've been putting it off to save and also so we can agree on a layout. And that is where I need some input!

This is roughly our current layout (dimensions on that left bathroom/back porch area aren't exact). Our plan is to tear off the back porch area, and expand in that direction. It's literally the only way we can go. The exterior wall bordering the kitchen (north) runs along our driveway, and we don't want to go south because of sight lines, landscaping, and maintaining the integrity of our home. So....to the west it is! We have roughly 14-15-ish feet we can add on to the west (left, on the layouts below) before it gets dicey with our driveway/landscaping if we go straight out. We plan to use our current dining room as a parlor/living room space because we need it! Our current living room is tiiiiiny.

Current layout (that we hate!) . So many doors and awkward flow. It does not work for us at all.

Here's our top priorities:

• Increasing storage overall. We literally have no closets, no mudroom, no "dumping" station for kids stuff. There is a side door that is near the kitchen that enters into the stair well (the stove wall is also the stairway wall - ie, it can't move) that we use, we have a front door, and then the current "back" door into the awkward 3-door back porch. We'd really REALLY like more storage for coats, shoes, our vaccuum, cleaning supplies, etc. We don't have tons, but enough to want more storage.
  • More cooking/prep space. We are foodies and cook from scratch often. We hardly go out to eat. In general, the kitchen matters to us a lot. We often have 2 of us cooking/preparing, and our current layout leaves us bumping into each other in the corner a lot. Countertop appliances for us are a toaster oven, and all my husband's coffe crap (would LOVE a coffee station because I hate how much room it takes up - he has a grinder & espresso machine & electric kettle). We are pretty sure we want to do a 36" stove, but you can convince us otherwise. We cook far more than we bake, if that helps to know.
  • A better pantry situation. Our current pantry is an 18" wide cave. I feel like I have no idea what's back there. We have random appliances on our back porch, and other food stored in our basement because of lack of space. We would LOVE a better/bigger pantry so we can have everyhting IN our kitchen. Things I'd put in the pantry beyond dry food: instant pot, crockpot, bread machine, food sealer, rice cooker (we use all of these regularly). Possibly a stand mixer & food processor. I don't want an appliance garage I'm fairly sure.
  • Island If it works, I'd love an island. I think for how we function with 4 of us (my husband, 5 year old and 8 year old) it would get used a lot, and would be nice for the extra storage.
  • Half bathroom We need a half bath for when we have guests and entertain. Our second floor has a full bath, and master has full bath. We don't need a shower on the 1st floor and i'm not sure why the previous owners did that. It never gets used.
  • Brigther and lots of windows We currently have no west facing windows and our kitchen feels like a dungeon. We want LIGHT. So our hope is to have most of our windows south/west, which means we'll have better views of our yard too.
  • We do not want to tear down the current wall between the dining room and kitchen - it is a firm no-go from my husband, he wants to keep it.

Alright, now that you know a little more, here's two potential options we've come up with and we'd like input/feedback OR additional ideas we haven't thought of! Be gentle - this is my first go at this. I've read the NKBA guidelines and there's at least 36" around the idland and in passages. More would be nice.

Option 1: Island, Window/Sink

Pros: I love that there's a window over the sink overlooking our backyard. Lots of storage

Prep/Cook area is close to clean up area but not totally overlapping (ie, someone can wash dishes while someone else cooks)

Broom closet by the bathroom

Storage/closet area across as a pseudo "mudroom" option (close to side door that we use often)

Cons: Sink is far from the fridge

PS - no idea how to work a walk in pantry into that corner, so I'm all ears on that, but i think it's doable. We probably can't get rid of the little "jag" in the wall because of a radon mitigation system.

Option 2: Island Sink

Pros: Sink is closer to fridge

Bigger island

Cons: Less overall storage/cabinets than first option

I'm worried I won't like an island sink because it will feel crowded with the stove/sink backing up to each other and then dishes all over the island.

Looking forward to questions and suggestions. Thank you so much!

Comments (19)