SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_neader

Fisher & PayKel GWL10 Washer drains while filling (Diverter problem)

4 years ago

I've solved this problem, but wanted to write about it, in case it helps anyone else with a similar problem:

When starting any cycle (except Permanent Press), the washer starts to fill, but then you can start to hear the water draining, so it never fills. In researching this problem, it was narrowed down to the Diverter. The Diverter is like a Y -- comes into the Diverter from the Pump, and then is either "diverted" back into the top of the tub OR it's sent out the drain, depending on whether the Diverter is energized or not. When the tub is filled at the start of each cycle (except Permanent Press) water is cycled through the Diverter back into the top of the tub during the fill process. In my case, the water was NOT being diverted back into the tub, but going out the drain, thus the tub would never fill.

The cheapest thing to do was to replace the diverter ($15 from eBay). The first picture I've included is the bottom of the washer, and the Diverter is the grey piece with 3 hoses attached. Replacement was fairly straightforward (this video helped). However, that did not solve the problem, so the next step was to replace the Motor Control Board, part 426930P. I found a brand new OEM board for $140 on eBay, and sprung for the "Square Trade 3 Year Warranty" for $20, since I was worried that when I replaced the board, it would just pop again, and I'd at least get a refund on the part.

Replacement of the Motor Control Board was straightforward. Took a picture of where each of the wires went, and how they were routed, then removed the old board (one screw, unplug everything), then put the new board in place, plug it in like it was, etc. I've attached pictures of the OLD board (grey), and the NEW board (brown). The new board did look a little different, and had plugs that go down into top edge, instead of facing you on the front side, but still an easy install. The new board came with "sizing" instructions, to tell the board the size of your tub -- easy to follow. Turned it on, ran a load, and works perfectly!

BOTTOM OF GWL-10 WASHER, SHOWING DIVERTER (grey with 3 hoses at bottom)

BAD MOTOR CONTROL BOARD, BEFORE REMOVAL:

NEW MOTOR CONTROL BOARD, AFTER INSTALLATION:

Comments (6)