Something to Do With Leftover Turnip Greens

ritaweeda

A friend gave us a big mess of turnip greens and I cooked them today, still quite a bit left. Other than soup, any ideas on something good to use them in? She didn't include any of the turnips - :(

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Sandwich.

Omelette.

Frittata.

Soothie.

Filled pasta or dumplings with cheese and breadcrumbs.

Roll ups.

Hm... Common threads: With something salty like ham, cheese or deli meat, with other veggies, with eggs, with carb/bready things.

Actually might be good with charred eggplant.

Save     Thanked by ritaweeda
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I second the Frittata. I love leftover greens for them. Or maybe in a quiche?

Islay Corbel

Compost lol

3 Likes Save     Thanked by ritaweeda
plllog

ROTFLOL!!!

That's kind of mean, but funny. :) They're very nutritious. :)

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I love turnip greens but not turnips so no loss lol

I think they freeze well once cooked too.

bbstx

Freeze them. I keep quart size bags of cooked frozen greens on hand. I make mixed greens all the time - pick and choose whatever is handy from turnip greens, mustard greens, collards, kale, spinach. No Scarlett here, I like turnips, too. And rutabagas.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I freeze my greens as well. Qrt bags. Sometimes blanch and shock in cold water if I have a boat load. Big bunch straight from the garden, wash, roll, cut in fine slices, then freeze fresh. Both works. Just roll the bag from the bottom tight to get the air out, then freeze flat pack stacked.

marcopolo5

I usually cook extra greens so I have left overs. A day or two later I saute minced garlic in olive oil, drain a can of cannelini beans add to pan, add greens drizzle bit more olive oil. Warm, few shakes of romano or parm cheese. Different side dish. If I have a smaller amount of greens left. I freeze and use it in scrambled eggs. Asparagus great in eggs too. I freeze it chopped.

ritaweeda

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. I wound up making a potato, onion, greens and cheese pie. Actually it was pretty awesome. I followed Sarah Moulton's online recipe somewhat, but made it with what cheese I had and I put a top crust on it. I made a butter crust and it was really good.

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Yum that does seem like a good idea!

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

It's always a good thing when you can take leftovers and bits & pieces already on hand and make something delicious!! Congratulations😊

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Materials Lose It: What to Do With Leftover Building Materials
See how to properly dispose of your extra brick, wood and paint — or make something cool with it instead
Full Story
Green Decorating Easy Green: 23 Ways to Reduce Waste at Home
Pick from this plethora of earth-friendly ideas to send less to the landfill and keep more money in your pocket
Full Story
Furniture Project Rehab: From Antique Icebox to Bright Green Vanity
Discover how an antique cabinet built to store ice was transformed into a one-of-a-kind bathroom vanity
Full Story
Virginia Premium Renovations is a full-service general contracting company that specializes in kitchen remodels,... Read More
With quality custom window treatments and the best window treatment designers in Long Island, we have you and... Read More