SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

What do you folks do with leftover cooking oil?

artemis_ma
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I make pakoras yesterday. You deep fry them (I used as minimal amount of oil as possible, in part because since I like to cook for myself for nutritional needs, I used grapeseed and avocado oils, neither really cheap...) They were pretty good but I'll need to fine tune them so they will stick together just a little better... but that's neither here nor there!

The question is: I have leftover cooking oil. I will need to dispose of it. With stuff that solidifies (bacon fat etc.), I just scoop out when it cools, and put into the general waste stream. (Yes, I may save a little extra bacon fat, but as a general rule with the stuff that solidifies.)

My parents used to save old Maxwell House coffee jars for the purpose, and dispose once full. My own preferred coffee does not come in metal jars these days.

I could use jars saved from supermarket purchases, but I no longer can eat much tomato sauce (auto-immune problem), and I don't want to use the reusable jars I can pickles, apple sauce in. Other than the Costco-sized caper container, I really don't buy much jarred food at all. Other than some condiments in really SMALL containers!

I don't deep fry many foods, so this is a new thing coming up. I LOVE the pakoras, and I LOVE Agi dashi tofu. But I want a solution for the residual cooking oil that will not solidify, and should not be plopped down any drain.

(My temporary solution will be to move the Costco capers to a separate, keepable, container, and fill the Costco jar with the oils. But even a Costco-sized caper jar will soon fill up... what do other folks do, if they eat limited amounts of supermarket foods from the center of the store?)

Comments (23)