What do you folks do with leftover cooking oil?
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (23)
Related Discussions
What do you do with left over oil?
Comments (13)I did end up using an empty cardboard OJ container to dispose of it and my conscience is reasonably clear LOL! I figure even the waxy plastic cardboard will SOMEDAY break down and the oil is veg based (canola) so that shouldn't hurt anything either. I can't imagine pouring it on a rose bush though.... I would think that would really throw the natural organisms off balance in the soil, not to mention changing the ability of the soil to drain/retain moisture. However, if someone had told me 10 years ago to feed my plants alfalfa, I would have thought they were nuts too, so maybe this is a live and learn thing. Anyway, thanks for all the creative solutions. I will certainly put them to use next Fathers Day when we ahve the next big catfish fry! LOL! Alexa...See Morewhat to do with leftover oil?
Comments (3)One of my sons does really delicioius fried turkeys. When finished frying turkey, he cuts up a couple of potatoes and fries them in it. That absorbs a lot of the 'turkey taste', and also makes some pretty good snacking. He lets it cool to room temperature, then strains it, and saves it for future use. Usually he fries anywhere from 3 to 10 (maybe more, I'm not sure) turkeys on Thankgiving, and the last one is just as delicious as the first. I think that he disposed of it after that many, but it does prove that the oil made for turkey frying is good for mulitple uses. Rusty...See MoreWhere do you keep your cooking oils/vinegars?
Comments (24)We keep ours in a 12" wide two level pull out cabinet next to the rangetop. The most used bottles (e.g. olive oil) are at the very front so when I need to grab them, I open the door and grab them without pulling out the shelf. The taller bottles are on the bottom shelf so we don't have to bend much to reach them. The lower sides of a pull out make it easy to see enough of the bottle and label to easily identify the bottle I want. With a 24" wide drawer, it probably won't be filled with tall bottles, but will be a mix of short and tall ones. So one will have to bend more to get the short bottles. Also, it may be harder to tell which bottle is which in a deep drawer - that of course depends on how distinctive the bottles are when viewed from above and if you remember which is which. There are also pullouts available where the shelves attach to a door and pull out with them, but for us, I feel it is easier to not have to reach under the upper shelf to reach things on the bottom shelf or bend to see the things on the bottom shelf. We have a rangetop. Heat isn't great for oils and other flavoring agents so this may be better for a rangetop or cooktop than next to the oven of a range....See MoreWhat to do with leftover cooked round steak?
Comments (87)What a ridiculous comment. I looked up the number before making the comment. Roughly 9 of 10 Americans have health coverage, either through employment, though personal purchase, through government programs for low income folks or through Medicare. It should be 10 of 10 but for now, it's a "problem" most people have figured out a way to deal with. I wasn't making a judgment, I was reporting facts. Yes, finding better paying employment when needing more money is also a "problem" with solutions if one wants to pursue them. I believe that many, many people who consider themselves to be victims "of the system" or stuck in unfortunate circumstances are in fact victims of their own decisions. You're welcome to feel otherwise, and society should provide safety nets of sorts, but I think people are entitled to the consequences of their own actions and choices, the bad ones as well as the good ones. Here's a judgement - the conversation has gotten far afield of what to do with overcooked/burned beef....See More- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
MOST POPULAR6 Kitchen Flooring Materials to Boost Your Cooking Comfort
Give your joints a break while you're standing at the stove, with these resilient and beautiful materials for kitchen floors
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNNot a Big Cook? These Fun Kitchen Ideas Are for You
Would you rather sip wine and read than cook every night? Consider these kitchen amenities
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN8 Kitchen Organizing Ideas for Messy Cooks
Not the clean-as-you-go type? Not to worry. These strategies will help keep your kitchen looking tidy no matter what your cooking style is
Full Story
THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: On Dinner Party Gifts, Wine and Leftovers
Here’s how to navigate the confusion over what to keep, what to put out and what to send home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEDetox Your Kitchen for the Healthiest Cooking
Maybe you buy organic or even grow your own. But if your kitchen is toxic, you're only halfway to healthy
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNLove to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: A Onetime Carnegie Library Gets Cooking
Trading books for baguettes, this California kitchen underwent years of remodels before its latest modern incarnation
Full Story
OUTDOOR KITCHENSYour Guide to Grills and More for Great Outdoor Cooking
Learn the pros and cons of gas versus charcoal grills, and about neat add-ons that let you do more
Full Story
arkansas girl