Valentine's Day Dinner

amylou321

I wanted to make heart shaped ravioli. I have a heart shaped ravioli stamp (doesn't everybody?) but I do not have a pasta roller. For some reason, I felt like I would be able to easily buy fresh pasta sheets to make them from. Nope. I have been to 5 stores. The closest thing was fresh lasagne sheets, which were thicker and tougher than would work for ravioli. Guess I will order a pasta roller attachment for my mixer and stash that idea for next year. I'll make my own darn pasta.
Now the only thing I can think of is either heart shaped pizzas,which I made last year, OR I will make another loaf of heart shaped bread and make some LOVE-ly (see what i did there?) patty melts. I have made those before,but not specifically for valentine's day. And heart shaped fried potatoes to go with it. I will adapt it for myself and my low carb thing, but for the most part, I am cooking for him.
And a butterscotch blondie for dessert. I cant decide whether to bake it in a heart shape or in a regular pan (if I can find one around here) and just use any one of my numerous heart cutters to cut out heart shapes. Best thing about a blondie being a blondie and not a brownie, I will not be tempted by it.
Any more suggestions on stuff I can make into a heart shape? He (and admittedly, me too) is kinda picky but I need inspiration. Are you doing anything special? I know that lots of people don't celebrate valentine's day but it's one of my favorites. And NOT just because of all the pink and heart shaped treasures I score everywhere this time of year.....

SaveComment38Like1
Comments (38)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

The pizzas from last valentine's day. His and hers. Much as we love each other, we cannot agree on pizza toppings.....

8 Likes Save    
georgysmom2

Our traditional Valentine's dinner has always been heart-shaped meatloaf. My recipe has a sweet and sour tomato sauce topping so it goes well with the theme. When my girls were very young, they insisted on pink mashed potatoes to go along with the meatloaf. After the kids grew up and out on their own, I had many Valentine's dinner parties and it was always with the heart-shaped meatloaf. Always a big hit. Now, I just make it for the two of us.

1 Like Save     Thanked by amylou321
artemis_ma

The pizzas look pretty.

Save     Thanked by amylou321
plllog

You could make regular round or square ravioli (or pierogis, or empanadas or egg rolls or anything in that family--premade wonton skins should be easy to come by) and paint or stamp pink hearts with beet juice. Actually, shaping empanadas into hearts shouldn't be hard, and the dough is easy to make and work with.

amylou321

I actually bought wonton skins. The stamper I have is just a smidge too big to work for the biggest ones I could find.(of course) I have not thought of empanadas! I wonder if he would like those? I sometimes make a chicken pot pie type thing, without the pot,just dough in a heart shape. That's kinda like an empanada.....

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I've used dumpling wrappers for ravioli. Most markets have them in the cold section near the tofu. Sometimes frozen. Easy to work with. Nice and thin.

A heart can be cut out of a puff pastry, pie pastry, or biscuit dough topping a stew type thingy.

lonestar123

I always make a heart shaped meatloaf and put mashed potatoes 'frosting' on it and sometimes draw hearts with ketchup on it.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
rob333 (zone 7a)

I just have this picture in my mind of two steamed lobsters, on a plate, in the shape of a heart. Silly, but that's what came to mind. By the way, I too collect hearts. Just not kitchen hearts. Though, I don't know why since I also love to cook.

plllog

You could always make a potato stamp. It should work just as well with beet juice as it does with ink. If you have the little heart cutters, there's a trick I saw on TV to make the carving even easier. Press the cutter into the flat cut surface until it's halfway in, or even 3/4. Cut away the potato around it, then remove the cutter. Very straight sides and sharp corners with little work. But empanadas are delicious, and you can always tweak the flavors to suit your valentine.

chloebud

For the past several years I've been making DH this 6" heart-shaped chocolate cake. It's little but has 4 layers of yummy-ness.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Rose Pekelnicky

When our kids were at home I always made a heart shaped meatloaf for Valentine's day. After they grew up my husband and I would go out. He has been gone over 6 yrs now so the day isn't special to me any longer. I am going to a luncheon tomorrow at the senior center with a lot of other widows.

nancyjane_gardener

Rose, sorry for your loss! The senior centers are a great place to find companionship!

Our ukulele group often plays at SC holiday luncheons! We get everyone hopping before their meal!

bragu_DSM 5

tiptoe .... through the cupcakes ...

they're the bestest ... they're the love cakes ...

Judy Good

How about something like this on a chicken? Not the bathing suit but a heart or something. I hope I did not offend anyone with this.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
ritaweeda

Black Forest cake is one of DH's faves and it's one of the few that I don't make so I order it for him on valentine's day. This year I'm making German rindsrouladens for him, good match for the cake. Only instead of either noodles or potatoes for a side he likes rice, not very traditional but he likes it so that's what he gets. Only make this for special occasions like his B-Day or Valentine's because it's pretty labor intensive. We never go out on Valentine's day, I can't stand the crowds and noise and hurried atmosphere on popular dining-out days.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Judy Good - that's hysterical!

amylou321

I ended up asking him-sort of. Here is a transcript of our conversation.

Me: What should I make for Valentines dinner?

Him: Whatever

Me: No I need you to tell me what you want.

Him: Why? Just make food.

Me: I cant decide what to make. It has to be special.

Him: Special?

Me: Yeah. Like heart shaped.

Him: You make heart shaped food all the time.

Me: Not all the time.

Him: My cornbread was heart shaped last night.

Me: So?

Him: You make heart biscuits every Sunday.

Me:So?

Him: My breakfast is on a heart shaped plate.

Me: yeah, well the food isnt heart shaped....

Him: What are the choices?

Me: I was thinking some heart shaped ravioli,or patty melts.

Him: WTF is ravioli?

Me: Stuffed pasta

Him: Stuffed with what?

Me: I was thinking a mix of Italian sausage, chicken and cheese.

Him: And you just eat it like that? No sauce or anything?

Me: Of course there is a sauce. I was thinking if I made it I would make my homemade spinach alfredo sauce.

Him: Have I eaten that before?

Me: yes. You loved it.

Him: Uh huh. What was the other thing?

Me: Patty melt

Him: that's like a burger right?

Me: Yes. It's a burger on bread instead of a bun.

Him: that sounds easier. If you have to make something fancy, make that.

Me: okie dokie.

So i have the dough rising for the heart bread now. I don't think he knew that I was gonna make the bread. He probably thought I was just gonna cut store bought bread into a heart shape. ( not that I haven't done that before....)

4 Likes Save    
tigereye

We have the same conversation, except his fall back is make me a hamburger. I asked if he wanted Crawfish Ettoffee, since you liked it at a restaurant we used to go to. He said, "you made that the other day and I told you it was ok." "No, I made seafood gumbo." Him, "Isn't that the same thing?" No. "Well, just make what ever you want."

We are having meatloaf, turnip greens, sweet potatoes, and cornbread.

amylou321

Heart shaped cornbread????

Save    
amylou321

Ooooo.....

I love it! I've got a amazon gift card coming and I am gonna order it too!!! Thanks!

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Our grocery has a VD special on... 2 KC strip steaks and 2 lobster tales for $20. I'll pick one up on the way home today as well as some flowers. Too cold to grill out tonight so we will have VD dinner on Saturday. I'll make a side salad and some twice baked potatoes to go along. Might pick up some chocolate covered strawberries too.

It's our 25th anniversary as well! Her MS is causing some issues so she didn't want to go out to celebrate.

amylou321

Bread's done. The recipe I use makes 2 loaves,so I have to find something to do with the non heart one. It usually ends up under the bird feeders. That can be their valentine I guess...

3 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

French toast (after you cut into heart shapes), bread pudding, crumbs for other food, croutons... Doesn't he eat it?

amylou321

Not really. He is a simple man, food wise. I will make other sandwiches and probably some garlic toast out of the heart one in the next few days. The non heart loaf will probably go funny before I get to it. I have no room in the freezer either. Oh well.

Save    
chloebud

I saw these ribeyes at the market the other day.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
tigereye

Amy,

Bread pudding

1/2 cup butter

1 loaf stale bread, any kind of bread, torn into small pieces

1 egg

3/4 cup self rising flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup raisins

1 cup milk

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Add softened butter to bread. add rest of ingredients and mix well with hands. Too soupy, add more bread. Too dry add more milk. Place in greased 9 x 13 pan, I use Pam. Bake in 350* oven for 1 hour.

Sauce

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter

Heat over low heat and do not let boil. You can add 1 1/2 tablespoons rum, I don't use rum.

As Justin Wilson said about his grilled fish, "This is Diet Food".

My "Mikey" likes it.

Annie Deighnaugh

If you don't want to make "hearts" you can do something with artichoke hearts...

amylou321

Dessert done. Heart shaped butterscotch blondie and a boring ol square chocolate chip one. I have another heart pan just like the one the butterscotch is in but I cannot find it and I am VERY UNHAPPY about that. Oh well, if he wants the chocolate chip one I will cut a heart shape piece out of it. I have at LEAST a dozen heart cookie cutters.

1 Like Save    
amylou321

Patty melt. Not the best picture. But my lighting stinks. It is heart shaped.

The potatoes frying.

I am SUCH a dweeb I know.. ;) I am a danger with my cookie cutter collection....

5 Likes Save    
plllog

See! You could have used one of those as a stamp before you cooked it!

Story: The shovel digression reminded me. I have a hammer. I'm not sure exactly where I got the hammer but I had it in college. It might have been a freebie that my father handed off to me. I got all kinds of weird things that way. I still have it. It hammers things. It has a good claw. I can lift it. All's good. But one day, my father was at my house helping me with something and asked for a hammer, so I handed him my hammer. He looked at it with great disdain and a little puzzlement. "That's not a hammer," he said. Um...it's a better hammer than those flowery girly ones, but whatev. So he went to his truck and got a "real hammer" (not bigger nor heavier, surely better balanced, separate head and wooden handle, whereas mine is all in one, probably some kind of pot metal with a chrome finish and rubbery grip, but I don't know what made it so much more real. I think you have to be better at driving nails than I to know). After he finished the job, he tried to give his hammer to me, though I wouldn't let him. It was his favorite hammer. He'd had it since long before I was born. What greater expression of love is there than a man who wants to give you his favorite hammer when you don't even know why it's better than the one you have?

9 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
nancyjane_gardener

If I had a hammer.......I'd hammer in the moooooooooorning.....I'd hammer in the evening.....all over this town!

Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

Plllog, I would have loved your father ... such a sweet gesture ūüėä. Amylou321, I hope your SO appreciates all the trouble you went through to prepare your very romantic Valentine's supper. Guys can be so clueless. I'm afraid I didn't go to that much trouble and instead made ham with scallop potatoes for supper tonight. There'll not only be leftovers for another supper but sandwiches & pea soup. I love when it works out that way.

DawnInCal

That looks lovely, Amy. You have shown your feelings for him with the care and love you put into the dinner preparation.

The conversation you had with him sounds like the ones I have with hubby.

Me: What do you want for dinner?

Him: I don't care; whatever you want to make.

Me: Ok, I will make such and such.

Him: I don't want that. What else can we have?

Me: How about this thing?

Him: Nah, I don't feel like that either.

Me: Something or other?

Him: I dunno.

Luckily he cooks a lot of our meals so I don't go through that frustration very often!

I'm afraid we aren't very romantic. We are having simple grilled tuna salad sandwiches with roasted corn salad for dinner. But, it's one of our favorite meals and we will prepare it together, so I guess romantic is in the eye of the beholder(s).

pillog, that's a great story and a special memory of your dad.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Angela Id

We had tuna melts and clam chowder, by request.

annie1992

Happy Anniversary, Jack, I'd love the grilled steak and lobster tail. Very rare on the steak, please.

I didn't make anything heart shaped, but I did splurge and buy lobster to make lobster rolls, which Elery had never eaten. Vegetable slaw and butternut squash on the side, it was good.

Annie

arcy_gw

The local grocery store had two prime rib in heart shaped pan or surf and turf again in heart shaped covered pans. I debated but at -16 who wants to grill?!! We had Scallops over pastry shells, pink champagne, shrimp cocktail and strawberry glace pie for dessert.

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Annie - thanks! I love Lobster rolls but haven't had them in years. When I lived in NJ back in the 80s we went up to Maine a few times and had some type of lobster dish every meal. Hard to beat lobster fresh off the boat.

It's supposed to get into the mid 40s this afternoon here. I need to get out on the deck and clear the snow off the grill and deck so I can grill dinner tonight. I also bought a pound of some real nice asparagus to go with dinner. It was on sale for $1.79. I need to buy 20 lbs. and pickle some while it's in season and cheap.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
DIY Projects 10 Valentine’s Day Ideas for Sweethearts and Friends
Get inspiration for ways you can make the day special with DIY cards, decor and treats
Full Story
Most Popular The Real Importance of Valentine’s Day
Even small traditions celebrating love can carry through an entire life
Full Story
DIY Projects Light Up Their Lives With Free Valentine’s Day Printables
Make cards to pass out to friends and loved ones, or decorate the walls with these valentine designs
Full Story
Designs & Interiors by The Upholstery Shop has been proudly leading the residential and commercial interior... Read More
Kitchen, Bath and Interior remodeling company featuring the latest bath and kitchen designs and the largest... Read More