SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lepetitmatin

Old bathtub overflow drain - no screw holes

lepetit matin
4 years ago

We have an old cast iron tub on the 2nd floor that has an overflow drain. Because of a leak in the 1st floor ceiling below it coming from the overflow drain, I took off the cover plate and there is no gasket. There are also no screw holes in the drain pipe elbow, as you commonly find with overflow drains. It doesn’t appear to be a Watco drain either. Not only did the drain have no gasket (hence the leak, I assume), but there was an adapter (typically used to convert two screw elbows to one screw) shoved in between the drain pipe and the tub, in which the cover plate was screwed.

The adapter seems to be the only way to get the cover plate to attach to the tub. I want to put a gasket in, but the adapter will necessarily great a gap for water to enter, since it will have to be up against the gasket. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? I cannot get behind the drain as it’s on an outside wall of the house. Even directly below it is inaccessible as there are kitchen cabinets in the way.

Pictures: (first with the adapter in, second with it removed).

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert