SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy52

Finally finished! What do you think? Before and After

Nancy
4 years ago

On July 17th 2018 I posted photos of my Family Room under "Stuck in the 90's! Fix my Family Room.

After a year and a half creating a new room in my head I finally got started September 2019, and finished up in time for the holidays!

After many poster boards painted with different colors I went with Naval by Sherwin Williams for the walls. I'm very happy with the color! I like a flat paint with no sheen, the color looks very rich, not all my photos do it justice.

I’m very happy with my drapes, which are lined with an insulation fabric, a must when you live in New England. I started with a catalog store and received an estimate that made me laugh. I searched online and found the exact fabric at a greatly discounted price. (I needed 48 yards.) I found a local woman who did a beautiful job sewing the curtains. She also helped me with the hardware purchase and connected me with a professional curtain installer. (It’s alot more involved than you would think)

I sanded and repainted walls, stairs, railings, and way too many spindles. We had the floors refinished and stained to match the ceiling. I found a beautiful blue Persian “new to me” carpet online. On the stairs we replaced the runners with a blue Persian look carpet. The leather couches moved on to my son and daughter-in-laws home, so my husband can visit them when he is feeling nostalgic. We purchased new Pottery Barn sectional, oversized chair and ottoman. The sectional is sumbrella fabric, so far it has been easy to clean. (4 grandchildren and 2 dogs) The two side chairs were a steal on Wayfair. The large square coffee table wasn't easy to find, then it arrived in a "million" pieces. After 2 hours and a few choice words my husband and I got it together and it fits just right. Still working on the artwork for the walls, but plan to take my time. I'll be framing a few more antique flags, that my father-in-law collected, to make an arrangement going up the stairs.

I'm so happy with my new Family Room! As much as I loved the room previously it had a much more formal feel. Now it is much cozier and comfortable. There nothing like sinking into the sectional at the end of the day. Thanks for all the suggestions I received, and I hope you like the results!

BEFORE

AFTER

Comments (54)