New to Windows 10, need help managing photos

Lea Grabb

Several issues: I saved all photos from old PC to a flash drive. I am guessing that my Google Chrome Photos is full so I can't get any more pictures from my phone added to it. It looks like it quit syncing in October. How can I get my pictures from my phone to my PC so I can put them on a flash drive? I have an android phone. My PC is a HP all in one with Windows 10. I am using Google Chrome and not the Microsoft. Thanks for all the help that I have gotten with this transition from Windows 7 to 10. Old dogs can learn new tricks, but it is hard! lol

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

I turn my phone on and plug it into my computer using a USB cord.

I just tried it in Windows 10 and the phone was automatically mounted. (I usually use Linux, which does the same)

I would use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer or any Internet browser) to navigate to my "Camera" folder. (should be in a folder named "DCIM")

Then I'd copy (or move) the image files wherever I choose. (I'd open a second Windows Explorer window to drag and drop them into)

If you look in the image above you'll see a Windows folder named "Pictures". You may want to place them there.

Personally, I keep mine on a separate drive. But that's just my preference.

Save     Thanked by Lea Grabb
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Richard, I have a question. I had all of my pictures on a separate drive. However, when I transferred everything from my desktop hard drive to the external hard drive, the pictures were the only things that did not automatically go in a picture folder. My pictures were scattered everywhere on the external drive. I know this is a silly question, but how do you prevent that from happening or is there a way to prevent it from happening?

I finally got so frustrated, I sent them all back to my C drive and they all went automatically into the picture folder. However, I am not comfortable leaving them on the C drive. Primarily, because a few years ago I lost all of the pictures I had on another computer, and they were on the C drive.

TIA.

Save    

@WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I don't "use" Windows anymore and am not familiar with the built-in Windows file backup app. What did you use to do what you did?

When I was using Windows, I got in the habit of creating a separate drive, labeling it "data". I probably read that suggestion somewhere on the web.

I tended not to like Windows (or Linux) telling me where I should put my files. (At that time I think Windows was prone to clutter those folders up by putting things in there that I didn't want in there. (That was probably XP though, maybe Windows doesn't do that now?)

I felt those predesignated folders weren't really "mine" since Windows would come along and clutter them up. So I would decide where to put my stuff. (On my data drive I'd have a pictures folder, a documents folder, a music folder, etc.)

That way I knew where my stuff was. And it was easy to backup. (or avoid backing up if I just wanted to image my OS)

Now that I'm running Linux, I still use a "data" drive. My documents, pictures, music, etc. are on that drive.

I backup my data drive to other computers using a sync tool. In Linux the tool is "rsync".

In Windows, I don't know what's available.

I probably didn't really answer your question.

Likely someone more familiar with Windows can be of more help.

1 Like Save    
Lea Grabb

I connected my LG 6 to my PC via USB port and it is not being recognized. My phone thinks it is connected to a charging source. I googled and that is what is supposed to be done. Being new to Windows 10, I'm wondering why this is happening??

Save    

I'm not sure.

When I just tried (in Windows 10), it mounted it as soon as I plugged it in.

I did turn the phone on before I plugged it in. Maybe that's the difference?

My phone is an LG Stylus 4, also Android. Both being Android phones and Windows 10 computers, I would have thought it would have worked the same.

Do you have "This PC" on your desktop? (I do have but I don't remember if that's the default)

If so, did you open it up and see if your phone shows in there? Under "Devices and drives" (like mine does in the image above)

If it's not in there, I'd unplug the phone, turn it on, then plug it back in and see if it mounts.

If it still didn't mount, I'd try plugging into a different USB socket. (and possibly try a different cord)

If that doesn't work, I don't know.

Save     Thanked by Lea Grabb
Lea Grabb

I am progressing but still does not work! I discovered that I had to add an app, which I already had done, but it didn't work, so I quit. Today it finally started working...connected with my phone. The app is called Your Phone Companion. However it is not working! Anyone familiar with this app?

Save    
Lea Grabb

Ahah I found the answer to this problem...the "your phone companion" does not work with anything less than a 7....so I will delete this app. So, I'm still looking for a way to get my pictures from my phone. What about getting pictures saved from Google Photos? Any way to do that?

Save    

Have you tried? https://photos.google.com/albums

I don't have anything synced to there so mine is empty.

Maybe you will find all your images there. :)

I noticed the "Your Phone" application but I haven't set it up. My phone mounts fine without it.

Edit: Scratch that, I see "Your Phone" is not "Your Phone Companion". ;-)

Save    

BTW, I've used Cx File Explorer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cxinventor.file.explorer

It will allow me to use my browser to see and get files off my phone. (when I turn on "Access from PC" under the "Network" tab)

It works fine if I have just a few files to download from my phone. (I have to right-click and save-as for every file)

Save    
Lea Grabb

Richard, do you add the app to your phone?

Save    

No. I didn't install it. Nor was it already installed.

I didn't have to install anything.

Save    

Do you mean "Your Phone Companion"? That's how I answered above.

If you mean CX File Explorer then yes, I installed that. (not to get the phone to mount though)

Save    
Save    

Plug the device into your computer, pull down the notification shade,
and select the “USB” option. It may say something like “USB charging
this device” or “USB for file transfer.” The verbiage may vary slightly
depending on your device’s Android build and manufacturer, but
regardless it will have something about USB.

When you tap that option, a new menu will show up with a handful of
options. Generally, it will have options like “Charge this device,”
“Transfer images,” and “Transfer files.” Again, the wording may vary
slightly, but the option you want is “Transfer files.”

That's from: https://www.howtogeek.com/195607/how-to-get-your-android-device-to-show-up-in-file-explorer-if-it-isnt/

I probably had to do that the first time I connected it and selected "Always" so didn't remember. Sorry.

Anyway, now it doesn't ask, it automatically connects for file transfer.

Save    
Lea Grabb

That isn't working for me. Down at the very bottom it says Android System charging. I've tapped on that area and it won't do anything different. I haven't downloaded that CX file yet

Save    
Lea Grabb

Ok, I have the CX file Explorer on my phone. I have found my photos in the Main Storage under Downloads. How do I move them to my PC?

Save    

In CX file explorer, open the "Network" tab:

Press "Access from PC" (the gold icon above)

Press "START SERVICE"

You'll get a screen something like this:

On your computer, open a browser and enter the address it says to enter.

In my case it's ftp://192.168.1.74:8557

You can right-click and save the images. It's not as convenient as using a cable would be (if it was working for you) but at least you can get images.

Save    

Also, if it's not, your phone needs Wifi turned on and connected to your router.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Laundry Rooms The Top 10 Laundry Room Photos of 2018
Favorite features include drying racks and rods, folding areas and improved ergonomics to help with washday
Full Story
Readers' Choice: The 10 Most Popular Laundry Room Photos of 2012
These washing areas made a clean break with overcrowding and inefficiency, and a tidy number of Houzzers noticed
Full Story
Trim Design Workshop: 10 Surprising Twists on Window Trim
These modern approaches to window trim include no trim at all. Can you wrap your head around them?
Full Story