SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadowkitten

Kitchen layout help please! Old house. Brick walls.

ShadowKitten
4 years ago

Hello dear Houzzers! I need your help please. My friend has learned a lot here and suggested I ask for some of your expertise on my kitchen plan :-)

Background: this is a 1910s townhome in a large city. Walls are masonry, load bearing, so adding on/ opening things up is not an option. We have decided (with consultation) to remove that wall dividing the kitchen from the dining room. We’ve got a good builder and a KD who came up with the very preliminary plan I am attaching here. There really are a lot of constraints, so I would be grateful for a fresh set of eyes on the possibilities.

Here’s what I want from my new kitchen: In the most general sense, to be able to prep, cook and clean-up without feeling crowded and irate. I’d love to be able to have other people in the kitchen without wanting to kill them and would like people to be able to talk to me/socialize while I am in the kitchen.

Here’s what I don’t have now: Space, enough counter-top work space, cabinets that work, a stove top that works, a fridge that makes sense.

So far, I’ve told the KD that I’d like more space and the ability to socialize in the kitchen. We also talked about the fact that my kitchen is FREEZING COLD in the winter and that the re-design will need to address this somehow.

I know it’s going to be expensive, and we will take the opportunity to upgrade some outdated infrastructure like electrical. The builder is familiar with houses in my neighborhood and we know there are going to be some unknowns.

I understand that the weird little powder room is probably going to have to go. I’m OK with that, if it gets me a more functional and pleasant space.

Full disclosure: my dad is a retired architect and I have been advised to keep him away from this. Please save me LOL

Thanks so so much in advance!!

Comments (10)