another computer question, need to restore to original

Lea Grabb

I have gotten my old HP PC which has Windows 7 on it. I would like to do a full restore and give it to someone that needs one. It has a lot of life left in it and I would really like the space that it is taking up! I have tried the F8 button, but nothing is happening. This PC crashed originally within a couple of years of purchasing it. I took "it" and all my CD's and back up stuff to a computer repair man, who did not do a thing with what I had, but just restored it I believe and re-installed a Windows program. He didn't give me a CD or anything, except gave me my stuff back. I lost pretty much everything. I still have that bunch of stuff. Any suggestions on how I can fix this and give it away? THanks.

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

Maybe try hitting F11?

Or maybe there's something in this video...

I think if it were me and I needed to stick with Windows, instead of resetting to a no longer supported OS, I'd try upgrading to Windows 10 for free. Will it activate? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. How to get Windows 10 for free

Personally though, being a Linux user, I'd download Linux, write the ISO to USB Flash, boot it up and install Linux.

I use this one but there are many good ones. Linux wouldn't be much good for a gamer but for almost everyone else it would probably be fine. Especially coming on a free computer. :-)

Save     Thanked by Lea Grabb
mike_kaiser_gw

If this is a “name brand” computer like Dell or HP there’s probably a “recovery” partition on the hard drive. Go to the manufacturer’s support site for instructions on how to access it.

If you have a CD, you can probably boot from that (which may require a change to the BIOS). Follow the instructions. You will need the Windows Product Key to complete the install.

Save     Thanked by Lea Grabb
badabing2

To get your product key (works on Win 10, haven't tested on Win 7) open a command prompt as Administrator and paste this in:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

With that saved (for safety) watch some of the videos that show you have to do factory reset, i.e.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
World of Design Back to the Futuro: Tour a Lovingly Restored ‘Spaceship’ Home
Travel back to the ’60s Space Age with a rare glimpse inside an original House of the Future
Full Story
Guesthouses Houzz Tour: Farmhouse Meets Industrial in a Restored New Jersey Barn
Amish craftsmen, trusting clients and an architect with a vision save a historic barn from a complete teardown
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Historic Charm Restored to a Dilapidated Coastal Home
Along the waterfront in Annapolis, Maryland, a couple gain space but preserve their 1800s home’s period looks
Full Story