SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jengallardo

Basement Stairs and Humidity

Jen G
4 years ago

We've been in our house about 2 years and last year we hired a contractor to renovate our basement. One of the big asks was for them to address the staircase leading from kitchen to basement; they fabricated new pine stairs to replace the old stairs (which were rickety to say the least!).

It hasn't been a year yet since the renovation completed and one of the stair treads is already cracked (see photos, included one with my foot for scale - it's a fairly long crack). I've reached out to the contractor to address since this feels like a defect in workmanship versus something we did. For context, there's a separate entry to basement through which we've gotten in all the heavy furniture and there's been no wear other than my husband, myself and the occasional guest (we don't have kids).

I'd like to understand how folks here might approach the situation as I'd like to have an informed conversation with the contractor.

My concern is that, when he took a look at the crack, he said it was probably a humidity issue and he'd have to get back to me about a solve. I'm assuming humidity is a common issue in basements and that lots of people have basements without cracked stairs so, how do I make sure contractor is addressing the root cause of this problem versus a symptom? What is the best solution for ensuring the other treads don't have the same issue? Does finishing the treads a different way than they currently are give them more longevity?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH