SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Is this door transition/threshold OK? Trim notched, visible screws

AMS
4 years ago

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of a budget remodel using IKEA cabinets. I had a contractor install the cabinets and new Marmoleum click flooring (which I love!). I'd like advice on whether the threshold / transition that was put in place is typical (spoiler alert - I don't like it!).

Despite removing layers of old flooring, the new Marmoleum floor still ended up about ~3/8 higher than the wood flooring in the adjacent dining area. I asked for a transition piece, made of wood, to span the opening - which is quite wide - 5 feet. I didn't give much guidance other than that, which I acknowledge is my fault.

I came home to a skinny threshold attached with 5 visible screws (not countersunk), and notched out quarter round trim. It's not stained yet - that's fine. The transition piece is actually higher than the higher flooring - so it makes the step up feel even higher. Is this typical? I was expecting no visible fasteners, and was hoping for a lower profile 'taller' piece of wood (e.g., the width of the wall). Do you think this can be rectified?

Comments (10)