SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mb158127

Is floating 2 1/4” red oak floor an option for me?

mb158127
4 years ago

Unconditioned, newly constructed 2nd story space 600sf above a detached, unconditioned brick garage - a man cave which may be insulated in the future for year-round use w/ space heaters or a wood stove

Weather-tight, there is air flow through the roof/rafters for humid days. OSB subfloor

I was originally thinking of picking up random leftovers of any solid wood floor species from people online, but ended up buying some cheap, lower grade red oak prefinished t&g.

I won‘t in my lifetime ever need to refinish this floor. I want some insulating underlayment below the floor to take off the chill from the garage. There won’t be moisture from below but not sure if high humidity summer days is a reason for a vapor/moisture barrier. I don’t mind a little movement but obviously want to avoid a complete failure of the floor - cracking/breaking/warping/bending/popping.

question: I’m thinking a 1/4“ cork underlayment and floating the oak flooring, installing planks snug without gapping. If I have to tap them back snug after summer im fine with it. Is this an appropriate install or is there any factor Im failing to consider?

I was thinking but probably ruled out nailing edge boards and gapping every few boards.

Comments (17)