SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_492140245

Guilt and loneliness in home building process

M R
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I know this isn’t a typical topic of discussion here and is much more personal than most discussions. I’m only posting in hopes that someone here has walked through something similar and had some input.

Simply put, most of the people in my life that I care deeply for are what most people would consider poor. I grew up having very little but wanting for nothing. My husband and I are now at a point now that we can afford to build a much larger home that we ever dreamed possible on a much larger piece of property than we ever dreamed possible. We feel grateful and extraordinarily blessed. Our family and friends are genuinely happy for us. We have good relationships with this group of people. But I can’t help but feel some sort of....resentment maybe? since we began this process. I don’t even know the word to describe it.

And so, during the planning and design process of our house, I have felt overwhelming guilt and loneliness regarding the process. I want to share my ideas, my dilemmas, my decision making with the people whose opinions I value most. But I have struggled strike a balance between being giddy about this opportunity and not wanting to rub our circumstances in their faces. So I seek advice and input on Internet forums lol...

I don’t want to come off as out of touch or a “snob” to anyone. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings because I want to talk about flooring or faucets. I would love to go tile shopping with a girlfriend. I would love help picking out light fixtures. But the impression I get is disinterest/underlying resentment. Like...”must be nice to be able to go pick out blank”. And I’m not what most would consider wealthy and don’t have the budget for something like an interior designer. Ugh! lt’s such a delicate process and I’m not even sure I accurately described it here.

Comments (46)