SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nidnay

Sticky situation and ethical question regarding custom build.

Nidnay
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Situation. Fully custom home. My builder works with several cabinet guys and he set up meetings for us with one specific company to do the cabinets in our entire house. Met many times going over every minute detail and and then finalized the kitchen design with that particular cabinet maker. Plans were signed off and deposit was given to the cabinet guy. Cabinet guy backs out after all the time and effort. Returns the deposit (my builder no longer works with this company due to issues).

Now we are in a crunch to find another cabinet guy which my builder then supplies. Meet with the new guy and go over all the details again, prices too high so then meet with a third one. Again taking hours and hours going over all the details again (from memory no less.....very draining). Prices good. All the time that was taken with the original cabinet guy and then setting up new meetings with the next two cabinet makers put us three months behind. It took time to schedule meetings with everyone due to availability issues and then waiting for new estimates etc. really put us behind.

Now we are incurring bank penalties due to the delay. What is the builders responsibility here? Is a builder responsible at all for penalties we incur due to problems with his own subs, the ones that he supplies? We’re not talking a few weeks, but rather months. Building delays happen, i get that. But if the subs a builder chooses are unreliable at what point does this become the builders responsibility? Even ethically, what is the right thing to do considering all the parties involved?

Comments (104)